Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jones V Evans

Options
  • 10-04-2012 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭

Official fight card

[edit]Main card
    Light Heavyweight Championship bout: Jon Jones (c) vs. Rashad Evans [1]

Welterweight bout: Rory MacDonald vs. Che Mills[1]
    Heavyweight bout: Brendan Schaub vs. Ben Rothwell[1]
    Bantamweight bout: Miguel Torres vs. Michael McDonald[1]
    Featherweight bout: Mark Hominick vs. Eddie Yagin[1]
    Lightweight bout: Mark Bocek vs. John Alessio[1]

[edit]Preliminary card (FX)

Heavyweight bout: Travis Browne vs. Chad Griggs[1]
    Welterweight bout: Matt Brown vs. Stephen Thompson[1]
    Lightweight bout: John Makdessi vs. Anthony Njokuani[1]
    Lightweight bout: Mac Danzig vs. Efrain Escudero[1]

[edit]Preliminary card (Facebook)

Welterweight bout: Keith Wisniewski vs. Chris Clements[1]
    Featherweight bout: Marcus Brimage vs. Maximo Blanco[1]

Who will win? 88 votes

Jones
    0%
    Evans
    84%
    SickBoyBlock (8rain onRoarmark.leonardStaggerLeeleggocalifanoAndy-PandyjarainaFlabbyPandaJimmy BottleheadFrank Bullittmailburnerjohnny_adidasNanocxtal191MellorO.P.HRaekwon 74 votes
    Not sure
    15%
    mobile wJoeyJJdave1982RemmyNiall0Andrew HdublinceltCZ 453Richard teaMikeyGorseMuzi5434empacherdarcedstealinhorses 14 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭pauldoo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

pauldoo wrote: »

You only need the letters after the = between the youtube, fixed below with another added.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Niall0

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Indie.

Found the interview entertaining enough. Pity they cut the second half of the interview until next week

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Not sure
    This will defo be a stay up for event, can't wait. I will defo be supporting Evans however wouldn't but money on him to be honest. Jones is a dick, love the bit about Jackson history in the Anik interview, Jones had to change it up a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Evans
    I used to be a Jones fan but after dropping Machida on his face I've been looking for an excuse not to like him.

Following him on Twitter has certainly done that for me. I know he's religious and super religious at that but for fúck sake... quit posting shít.
    "Christianity is one beggar sharing with another beggar where he found the bread"
    Today was a blessed day....
    Although the rabbits, Easter eggs and chocolates are fun, let's not forget the resurrection of Christ

STFU and post something worth reading!

On the Evans train now :)

Not sure
    Yeah used to follow Jones on twitter for a few weeks, as a big Machida fan I wasn't too bothered about dropping him, thats MMA. I was more bothered Machica couldn't keep doing what he did in the first round :)

I like the section about the Blackzillians, the look like a decent team. Did I see Mitrione in the background?

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭pauldoo

yeah i seen mitrione in that too

Was never rashads biggest fan, but i don't like Jones at all. Evans is right to feel like he was treated badly by the looks of it.

Evan though Machida did great in round 1, 2 of the judges gave it to jones. I though machida had the best chance of beating jones. Evans might have a chance with speed and wrestling-should be interesting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

Evans

On the Evans train now :)

When I first got into UFC (TUF w/ Evans and Rampage) I really disliked Evans and loved Rampage, oh how it's all changed :p

I quited liked Jones up to the Machida fight but after seeing him drop Machida like a sack of spuds, when he knew that he was out cold was bad enough.. but to only check if he was ok when the coaches in his corner told him to "for the fans" was ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭weemcd

got to put a few quid on Rashad ko, really hope he takes Jones down a peg or two

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

All this stuff about Jones dropping Machida is BS to me, and the fact that GJ told him to check on his welfare afterwards is taken with very little heed of the full context of what was happening at the time.

Jones was doing what any fighter would do if he doesn't feel a tap, keep going until he is stopped. He would have been holding enough of Machidas weight to actually lock the standing guillotine to hold him up anyway but the fact that he was against the fence meant he probably didn't know for sure he was out - maybe he had a feeling alright but he couldn't be sure. And when the ref stops the fight of course he is going to go off and celebrate straight away without a thought about anything else.

Consider the euphoria that was probably running riot in him after having the ref stop the fight with a guy who seemed to have his number in the first round and was in danger of catching him and upsetting his momentum. The sheer relief and delight would have had him seeing stars at that point. And of course he would have been thinking of nothing else but "thank **** I got the win there!"

Greg Jackson was simply snapping him out of that to go and check on Machida and rightly so - the comment about the fans wasn't needed and it wasn't Jones' comment - but at that stage and the euphoria he was in, he probably would have to be told to do everything. I can only imagine how overwhelming the feeling of winning that fight would have been.

All this nonsense about him only doing it for the fans is pure tripe. He just needed to be shaken out of his reverie. Simples.

I actually like Jones, he's cocky as hell but he has to be, every top level athlete has to be, it frequently sets them apart since the mental battle doesn't need to be fought leaving them only to focus on the physical one. Otherwise he is humble as he can be, cockiness considered, and all the God crap is just his upbringing. In the States these fanatical God people are everywhere.

Yeah, people like to hate and if you have this impression that he is only faking it from something GJ once said then his cocky but nice guy personality makes it easy to speculate on ways he could still be faking it. But he's just trying to put his best face on and represent himself well in the public eye. No harm in that at all and better than the approach Kos or Bisping takes IMO. At least he clearly does have respect, clearly at least if you can let yourself see the human perspective in the Machinda incident.

Also, I think Rashad has a very good chance of beating him but only if he can take him to the ground. I'd go Jones 60:40 Rashad.

Evans
    He would have been holding enough of Machidas weight to actually lock the standing guillotine to hold him up anyway but the fact that he was against the fence meant he probably didn't know for sure he was out

In the post fight interview he himself stated "Yea, I knew he was out".

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭NFH

Kinda used to respect Jones but after seeing some promo stuff and esp this video I have come to the opinion he is a complete douche and would luv Evans to put a dent in friggin fairy ass vision board. I fear Jones will win though and probably with ease.

Indie. wrote: »
    Found the interview entertaining enough. Pity they cut the second half of the interview until next week

Oh yeah, and I just found this. Full interview! :D

In the post fight interview he himself stated "Yea, I knew he was out".

He may have said it in the post fight be he could not have known for sure at that angle. Or at least he couldn't have laid him down until he was stopped. When the ref stopped it he just lost himself in the moment. It's not like he was going to get hurt by slumping or anything of the sort.

Evans
    He may have said it in the post fight be he could not have known for sure at that angle. Or at least he couldn't have laid him down until he was stopped. When the ref stopped it he just lost himself in the moment. It's not like he was going to get hurt by slumping or anything of the sort.

So now Jon Jones is a liar?

Also, it's not like he slumped from an sitting upright position. He had him in a standing guillotine and then dropped him on his face.

Class act :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Rob01

Evans

So now Jon Jones is a liar?

Also, it's not like he slumped from an sitting upright position. He had him in a standing guillotine and then dropped him on his face.

Class act :rolleyes:

It's his job to knock people out not lay them gracefully on the floor & hold his hand on the way down. Hardly anywhere near as bad as Hendo landing an extra bomb on Bisbing after he k.o'd him or Rampage with 3 of them on Wanderlai???

But some people will probably say the Hendo one was nice because Bisping is this&that!

Evans
    Different story if he knocks someone out. He knew he was out on his feet. I wouldn't expect him to knock him out then try and catch him on his way down. And the fact he had to be told to go check on him for the fans really made me lose a bit of respect for the guy...

I don't hate the guy or anything but I do think he has this holier than thou vibe off of him. Would like to see him get knocked off his little podium but can't really see it happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Rob01

Evans
    What I meant was people landing additional strikes when there opponent is clearly knocked out is a lot worse than what he done IMO.

He definitly portrays the holy image a little 2 much but obviously has some good in him (the catching the thief in the park incident :-D)

But love him or hate he's here for a long time. Just as well I'm a big fan :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

I don't really care about Jones' attitude, he is a young man currently considered an absolute killer at his weight class...he is going to develop some attitude.

While I feel a loss might balance his ship a little bit I personally don't want that lose to come at the hands of Evans...who is another incredibly cocky person.

This fight is going to be an ego clash, the best thing about it being both fighters will have to shut the **** up about each other after it.

Bliss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,982 ✭✭✭threeball

Rob01 wrote: »
    It's his job to knock people out not lay them gracefully on the floor & hold his hand on the way down. Hardly anywhere near as bad as Hendo landing an extra bomb on Bisbing after he k.o'd him or Rampage with 3 of them on Wanderlai???

But some people will probably say the Hendo one was nice because Bisping is this&that!

Both were scumbag acts as was jones'. Unfortunately too few fighters show the class and restraint that Stann showed the other night calling a halt to the fight even before the ref did.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Evans
    threeball wrote: »
    Both were scumbag acts as was jones'. Unfortunately too few fighters show the class and restraint that Stann showed the other night calling a halt to the fight even before the ref did.

Stann is a class act all round. I was really impressed the way he stopped instantly when Sakara went out.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,123 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Evans
    Different story if he knocks someone out. He knew he was out on his feet. I wouldn't expect him to knock him out then try and catch him on his way down. And the fact he had to be told to go check on him for the fans really made me lose a bit of respect for the guy...
    I think people over reacted a little to the Machida drop because it was Jones. Granted, he could of been more graceful. When the ref stops it, he was supporting him by the neck, the minute he release pressure Machida is going to fall. Which made it look a lot worse.The "get some fans" was a terrible choice of words by Jackson. The ref, doctor, team etc are always with the fighter first. The other fighter doesn't tend to go over until the guy is up and aware - thats fine imo. Jackson made the fact that Jones wasn't over there look way worse.
    threeball wrote: »
    It's not a restraint issue. Fighters don't keep hitting because they can't control themselves. It's because its not obver until its stopped. From a guard position, its normally stopped due to lack of defending rather than a clean KO. So thats subjective, they literally have to wait for the ref.
    Stann hit him, and he went limp, he hit him once more (he had prob mentally thrown this before he was out) and stopped when he felt he was out.

Obviously Stann showed huge class by the way he sat back. But I think its a little disrespectful to question class and restraint of other fighters given that in most situations its not as clear as that.

Evans
    Mellor wrote: »
    I think people over reacted a little to the Machida drop because it was Jones. Granted, he could of been more graceful. When the ref stops it, he was supporting him by the neck, the minute he release pressure Machida is going to fall. Which made it look a lot worse.The "get some fans" was a terrible choice of words by Jackson. The ref, doctor, team etc are always with the fighter first. The other fighter doesn't tend to go over until the guy is up and aware - thats fine imo. Jackson made the fact that Jones wasn't over there look way worse.

I agree with the above bit about people hating cause it's Jon Jones. Rousimar Palhares has done it way worse and on more than one occasion yet he doesn't get half the grief that Jones does/did. Maybe if he ever gets to the fame and stardom level then people might start hating on him

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Not particularly high on either but I was abit suprised when Evans called him a "fake *ss white boy". Then lied about it, then got caught out and admitted it, then gave some mealy mouthed explanation of not being racist that calling Jon something he isn't is the point he was trying to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Evans
    Neither are particularly likeable but it's an interesting fight-I dont think Jones will have it all his own way in this 1.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

Not sure
    6/1 in Vegas for Rashed, pitty paddy didn't offer that price, 7/2 is prob more realistic as much as that makes me sad. Might stick a couple of euro on a double that would me happy, Mills and Evans win is 19/1.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,982 ✭✭✭threeball

Mellor wrote: »

It's not a restraint issue. Fighters don't keep hitting because they can't control themselves. It's because its not obver until its stopped. From a guard position, its normally stopped due to lack of defending rather than a clean KO. So thats subjective, they literally have to wait for the ref.
    Stann hit him, and he went limp, he hit him once more (he had prob mentally thrown this before he was out) and stopped when he felt he was out.

Obviously Stann showed huge class by the way he sat back. But I think its a little disrespectful to question class and restraint of other fighters given that in most situations its not as clear as that.

Its part off it. Theres times when a guy doesn't know their opponent is out but theres plenty that they would just know as soon as the punch lands. You see the same guys that back off 90% of the time and theres others who pile in to see how many times he can smash his head into the canvas before the ref gets to him. The hendo bisping fight is a prime example. Theres no way hendo didn't know he was done after that first punch and he definitely saw him fall like a felled tree into the canvas without as much as a flinch to save himself. Yet he decided the additional haymaker was warranted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭tvercetti

I agree with the above bit about people hating cause it's Jon Jones. Rousimar Palhares has done it way worse and on more than one occasion yet he doesn't get half the grief that Jones does/did. Maybe if he ever gets to the fame and stardom level then people might start hating on him

Were you not on here last time Palhares fought, alot of boardsies had a go at his past actions, lots of videos were uploaded and alot of grief was aimed at him.

• Advertisement

Evans
    tvercetti wrote: »
    Were you not on here last time Palhares fought, alot of boardsies had a go at his past actions, lots of videos were uploaded and alot of grief was aimed at him.

I remember there being discussion on Palhares. At the time, IIRC, I wasn't even aware of his actions.

Advertisement