Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jones V Evans

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Glad I did not stay up for that. What a bore of a main event. Shockingly boring.

Rory McDonald looked pure class.

Hominick fight was fun. Very tight decision, but I think I just about agreed with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

So I take it Hendo now becomes the peg on which all the Jones haters will hang their hat?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Evans
    dojojoe wrote: »
    Fight of the year candidate but I say Jones takes it with effective range and ground control.

While I think it's getting a lot of unnecessary stick here (you have to be a special kind of fight to justify staying up til 5.30am for), I definitely wouldn't go that far on the flip side with it. It was a nice tactical battle that answered a lot of questions and reflected well on both men, I feel.

Evans did what Machida and Shogun didn't even nearly do and went the distance with Jones. He had a couple of close calls but recovered quickly and, had he landed a couple of shots slightly different could've had the champ in real trouble. He was dominated towards the end, but in a tactical sense more so than getting the **** kicked out of him, and ended the fight with Jones on his back.

For his part, Jones displayed a GSP level of dominance and maturity. His strike defence is his only tiny flaw but he also withstood some serious shots and yet never really relinquished control of the fight. Once he had Rashad figured out after the 1st, he cruised. If Rashad showed his class tonight by doing what Machida and Shogun couldn't then Jones showed he truly is in that elite level by being able to negate a fighter of that pedigree. When you consider his age, experience and how quickly he has risen to almost clean out his division, that is astounding.

Hendo is a very dangerous prospect as his strengths play into Jones weaknesses. But if he wins that, and I believe he will, we're looking at someone who could take MMA to a whole new skill level.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭threeball

leggo wrote: »
    But if he wins that, and I believe he will, we're looking at someone who could take MMA to a whole new skill level.

Don't know if I agree with that part. You wouldn't be able to do what Jones does without the physical attributes he possesses. No other fighter would have been able to throw those elbows he threw tonight as they would have to be standing in range constantly. And counteracting what he does might just entail going back to the very basics with either excellent wrestling or else being overtly aggressive.

He didn't look comfortable in either this fight or the Machida fight for the few moments he was going backwards. It may just take someone who's willing to risk getting knocked out who will charge him down and unload. He did prove he has a fairly decent chin though.

Evans
    While I think it's getting a lot of unnecessary stick here (you have to be a special kind of fight to justify staying up til 5.30am for), I definitely wouldn't go that far on the flip side with it. It was a nice tactical battle that answered a lot of questions and reflected well on both men, I feel.

Fight of the year was a prediction of Hendo-Jones not Jones-Evans but Jones handled Evans well and was trying to finish, I didn't think it was boring but it wasn't terrible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭O.P.H

Evans
    MrStuffins wrote: »
    Yeah, because if there's one thing MMA has taught us it's that height is the most important thing about MMA!

And you're completely right about just pointing out that he's 41 and, without taking into account any of his strengths, weaknesses, form, record, health, fitness, heart, ranking etc just saying he is "past it" simply because he is, indeed, 41!

I'm glad you're making such solid points and not talking absolute ballocks! Because that would be bad!

Jones fights have shown us just how important his height and reach are, these two aspects of his physique are the main reasons he is so dominant. And just listing a lot words like form and record doesn't validate your point. His height and age are valid reasons as to why he probably won't win and I'm sorry but I don't think Hendo's "knockout power" will get it done. Just an opinion, suppose we'll just have to wait an see ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,164 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Evans
    O.P.H wrote: »
    Jones fights have shown us just how important his height and reach are, these two aspects of his physique are the main reasons he is so dominant.

No, his use of these things a long with all of his other awesome attributes are the reasons he is dominant. If it was all about height and reach then Stefan Steuve would be World Champ.
    And just listing a lot words like form and record doesn't validate your point.

Yes it does. Try reading it again. My point was that you saying someone is "past it" simply because they are 41 and not taking anything else at all into account is stupid. Just stupid!
    His height and age are valid reasons as to why he probably won't win and I'm sorry but I don't think Hendo's "knockout power" will get it done. Just an opinion, suppose we'll just have to wait an see ;)

You never said he "probably won't win". You called it a waste of time and completely wrote Hendo off for what seemed like a random reason.

Jones will beat Hendo in my opinion, but your post sounded like my dad had posted it.

"That fella should win"

-"Why dad?"

"Because he has bigger muscles!"

Evans
    No, his use of these things a long with all of his other awesome attributes are the reasons he is dominant. If it was all about height and reach then Stefan Steuve would be World Champ.

Yes it does. Try reading it again. My point was that you saying someone is "past it" simply because they are 41 and not taking anything else at all into account is stupid. Just stupid!

You never said he "probably won't win". You called it a waste of time and completely wrote Hendo off for what seemed like a random reason.

Jones will beat Hendo in my opinion, but your post sounded like my dad had posted it.

"That fella should win"

-"Why dad?"

"Because he has bigger muscles!"

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

Chandler Jones and Tyrone Sprong stilll beefing on twitter, don't think Chan has a clue who he's dealing with. Overall I thought it was a decent night of fight after a fairly long break. Schuab getting a reputation as a glass jaw.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Evans
    threeball wrote: »
    But if he wins that, and I believe he will, we're looking at someone who could take MMA to a whole new skill level.

Don't know if I agree with that part. You wouldn't be able to do what Jones does without the physical attributes he possesses. No other fighter would have been able to throw those elbows he threw tonight as they would have to be standing in range constantly. And counteracting what he does might just entail going back to the very basics with either excellent wrestling or else being overtly aggressive.

Hmm see even his different physical attributes can contribute to the evolution of the sport: be it that people have to adapt and recreate the wheel to challenge him, or the weight class simply begins to favour fighters with a similar build, mimicking and developing Jones' training and style. Same with anyone in any sport that is considered 'unbeatable' (and if Hendo can't get it done...what style can beat him? He's beaten the pick of pretty much everyone else already)

His takedown defence almost nullifies any wrestler (unless someone similarly 'unbeatable' with that style comes along...would you fancy GSP to take him down if they were in the same weight class? Unrealistic question, I know, but you get what I mean). Whereas his reach doesn't allow anyone to get a sustained striking offence at him...so you really need someone like Hendo with his one punch knockout power to stand a chance. If you can get past his reach you'll get a good shot at him but it needs to count.

A lot of people hate Jones, but damn doesn't it feel good to have a new Anderson Silva-type puzzle for us as armchair fans, not to mention the world's elite fighters, to try figure out?

• Advertisement

Evans

Pretty much sums up your contribution to the conversation

Evans
    Xlami wrote: »
    Chandler Jones and Tyrone Sprong stilll beefing on twitter, don't think Chan has a clue who he's dealing with. Overall I thought it was a decent night of fight after a fairly long break. Schuab getting a reputation as a glass jaw.

What's been going on there? They've had a beef over Twitter? what's been said?

I went onto both their Twitter pages but don't seem to see anything between them? (At least not from the last few days?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Evans
    Two great fighters, one seriously disappointing fight.

The main events are almost never getting excited about.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Can't believe how many people here are saying Evans did well. He was just awful. I nearly jumped off my seat when in the third round they said he landed something like 40 significant strikes to bones 60. I think he landed two "significant" strikes in the whole fight.

Shogun and Machida might have been stopped but only cause they were going forward/got caught by a mean bones. Rashad is hopelessly.boring. He's well below the level of bones, shogun, Machida, Gustafson, and others. He does have a chin I'll give him that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Evans
    I recorded it and watched it earlier and I'd agree that it wasn't a great fight.

It will be interesting to see if Hendo can crack the code next though because for me Jones doesn't seem to have any real challengers outside of the heavyweight division right now.

In saying that I'd like to see him in their with guys of a similar size and age to himself, the likes of Alexander Gustafsson & Phil Davis immediately spring to mind. He'd probably beat both of them but it would be still interesting to see.

A guy like Cyrille Diabate might even prove awkward for Jones as he has a very similar fighting style, is taller (6'6 vs 6'4) and has a similar reach (82.5cm vs 84.5cm) but his record isn't that great plus he is 38.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭pauldoo

jones is a top fighter to start with, but when you add the reach advantage, no one can get near him. I cant see hendo doing anything, his slower than rashad and prob more one dimensional, i think it will be a similar story to tonight, would be more interested in hendo v silva. Would love to see hendo beat jones. McDonald is a beast, didnt look great in the stand up at the start but gave mills a beat down

• Registered Users Posts: 39,170 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Evans
    Will ya stop, we just saw how well Jones (6' 4", reach like 85") shut down a 5' 11" Evans. Evans has the second best takedown rate in UFC, did u see a sniff of a takedown, and im sorry i dont care how great an athlete u are, 41 is past it, jones is 24 and hungry, muse all ya want but they might aswell start lookin for the next guy to fight jones now
    Evans take down acuracy is 53%
    Jones' is 63% (tenth in the UFC)

Comparing stats in isolation proves nothing
    Jones fights have shown us just how important his height and reach are, these two aspects of his physique are the main reasons he is so dominant.

His stature is obviously a massive advantage but its not the main reason he is dominant. I'm sure there are others out there with a stature like Jones, almost non of them could achieve what he has.

Evans
    Mellor wrote: »
    His stature is obviously a massive advantage but its not the main reason he is dominant. I'm sure there are others out there with a stature like Jones, almost non of them could achieve what he has.

Oh I'm not sayin Jones is as good as he is because of his stature, he's an amazing "wrastler" and striker etc and that with his stature that makes him unstoppable but defo don't think Hendo is the man to do it

Evans
    I don't think Hendo will win either. I think Jones will pick him apart. But I think Hendo's skill set has a better chance then Evans, Rampage, or Shogun had. He won't be out wrestled, or out stuck for 5 rounds. But there's a chance that landing a big shot could topple him.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,331 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Taken from you laugh you lose

34g7rqr.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

Evans
    Is there any other sports body that openly sponsors an athlete?
    Could it be construed as a conflict of interests or does the fact that the athletic commissions handle judging, weigh-ins etc negate that?

Evans
    Could it be construed as a conflict of interests or does the fact that the athletic commissions handle judging, weigh-ins etc negate that?
    The UFC isn't a sports body, it's a company. They have a sports clothing line now so are sponsoring fighter for exclusive deals. Jones said himself he's aiming towards big brand sponsorship, this is probably a step towards it.

It's not really a conflict of interest as they've no say in the outcome of the fight. Lorenzo said it wasn't the first fighter they paid to wear UFC branded gear.

Evans
    Mellor wrote: »
    The UFC isn't a sports body, it's a company. They have a sports clothing line now so are sponsoring fighter for exclusive deals. Jones said himself he's aiming towards big brand sponsorship, this is probably a step towards it.

It's not really a conflict of interest as they've no say in the outcome of the fight. Lorenzo said it wasn't the first fighter they paid to wear UFC branded gear.

Yup, it'd be like a boxer wearing a Golden Boy tshirt. Although they put on the show, they don't decide the outcome. No real conflict of interest as far as I can see?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Id love to see a H-Bomb land :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Plenty of people have seen it as a conflict of interests, mainly because they are ****ing idiots.

Plenty of fighters have worn UFC branded stuff to the ring...no one cared before Jones.

Evans
    Id love to see a H-Bomb land :pac:

Ugh! I read that in Mauro Renalo's voice :(

• Registered Users Posts: 29,627 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Evans
    I read how Hendo says he is prepared for Bones. He just needs to stay in the clicnh where he (hendo) is most comfortable. He just needs to watch out for those 'goofy elbows' haha. I'd say Hendo will have the best chance so far but still can't see Bones losing. Must have been so frustrating for Evans to have Bones just hold your hands and then throw an elbow like a jab.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Conflict of interest may arise if the UFC has invested alot in a marketable fighter over a period who may possibly lose. They could make conditions favourable for him.

Not saying this will happen but it's a distinct possibility.

Evans
    Ush1 wrote: »
    Conflict of interest may arise if the UFC has invested alot in a marketable fighter over a period who may possibly lose. They could make conditions favourable for him.

Not saying this will happen but it's a distinct possibility.

This happens in boxing all the time. Promoter invests heavily in young up and coming fighter, they proceed to feed him can after can after can, making conditions favourable for him.

The same thing? I'm presuming you're talking about easier fights when talking about favourable conditions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

This happens in boxing all the time. Promoter invests heavily in young up and coming fighter, they proceed to feed him can after can after can, making conditions favourable for him.

The same thing? I'm presuming you're talking about easier fights when talking about favourable conditions?

Exactly.

It could be problematic in other ways also for instance a good fighter refusing to be sponsored by the UFC as they are getting offered more money by someone else and try to hold them over a barrel.

Advertisement