Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jones V Evans

Options
18910111214»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Evans
    That's why you need a good manager to negotiate a decent contract for you. The reality is, if you're relatively unknown like Che Mills then you have to take the lower pay just to get your foot in the door. Then it's up to you to keep winning, and winning impressively, to be in a position to renegotiate the contract. Mills was relatively unknown before hitting the UFC and hasn't had many fights. Chances are he's still on his first contract that was probably a 4 fight deal. The fact that he was in the co-main wouldnt affect that. But he also probably got an extra few quid that isn't released to the public. That plus his sponsors etc would bring his pay check up considerably.
    But I do agree for the lower level guys earning 6k +6k, it must be fairly tough after they pay for their camp and expenses etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Does anybody know what the deal is with camp fee's?

Do most of them work off a percentage or is there just a straight fee for working with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Do most of them work off a percentage or is there just a straight fee for working with them?

Most camps are percentage based at that level. Maybe about 10/15 % (after tax is taken from the listed payout). I remember a huge exodus from Chute Boxe cause they used to be 25/30% or something

Evans

Bonnar said it's a couple thousand per 8-10 week training camp plus coach expences.
    Or if you're Rampage...$1,000,000

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭bjj-fighter

Edit: Sorry bout that, left my mate alone with the computer, and that outrageous accusation is completely false haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Evans
    Im mad gay!!!
    Quoted so you can't deny it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

Not sure
    hendo is 4/1 in paddy power to beat jones. weird considering Evans was 5/1 .

• Registered Users Posts: 39,125 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Evans
    empacher wrote: »
    hendo is 4/1 in paddy power to beat jones. weird considering Evans was 5/1 .
    What's weird, they're giving Hendo a slightly better chance. I would too tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

Not sure
    Mellor wrote: »
    What's weird, they're giving Hendo a slightly better chance. I would too tbh

based on his one superior limb, i don't see it

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Evans
    Leeg17 wrote: »
    Only 2 fighters on the card (1 main, 1 under) would have earned less if they didn't have their $6k win bonus, the disparity between some of the payouts, despite the differing factors (draw of the fight, length of time in the UFC etc..) is annoying imo.

I know Mills is sill an up an coming fighter but to be earning so little for such a big fight must be really discouraging.

To be honest, I don't get how the payouts work. Obv the main card always has the most but then you see people like Rothwell getting 50k pre bonus.

I was always under impression (up until a year or two ago) that once you made the UFC you were on crazy money, well into the 6 figure mark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Evans
    I know Mills is sill an up an coming fighter but to be earning so little for such a big fight must be really discouraging.

To be honest, I don't get how the payouts work. Obv the main card always has the most but then you see people like Rothwell getting 50k pre bonus.

It's simple really, each fighter has a unique contract and he's most likely in his initial UFC contract still.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

Evans
    empacher wrote: »
    based on his one superior limb, i don't see it
    I don't think Hendo gas much of a chance, but I didn't think Evans did either.
    Nobody is going to out strike Jones for 5 rounds. And his reach isnt going away. So the solution, for me is to clinch and dirty box and hopefully land a big uppercut. I think Hendo is prob as slightly more likely to succeed in this compared to Evans.
    cowzerp wrote: »
    It's simple really, each fighter has a unique contract and he's most likely in his initial UFC contract still.
    Exactly.
    I never understand why it's always brought up when payouts are posted. Salaries are nothing to do with ability but how much you negotiated for the current contract.
    I imagine if somebody is exciting to watch and displays talent above their "pay grade" then they get undisclosed bonuses on top.

Evans
    Didn't realise it was always brought up. Sorry.

I'm sure your salary has somewhat to do with your ability... bit of a bold statement to make

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Plastikman_eire

I'm sure your salary has somewhat to do with your ability... bit of a bold statement to make

Mills salary is usual for a guy who is only 2 fights removed from the domestic scene, not long ago he'd have signed a 4 fight contract promising him 8000 to fight and 8000 to win, the unusual part of it was the fact he was so high up the card.

If he wins the last 2 fights on his current contract then he can negotiate significantly better terms when he re-signs.

Evans
    I'm not arguing saying he should be getting more, just saying it must be sh*t to be the co-main event and only pick up 8k.

Agree though that he shouldn't have been in that fight in the first place.

Evans

There's nothing wrong with mentioning it, didn't mean to sound like I was giving out. Just meant that it's pretty straight forward they agree to an initial salary and are contractually tied to it.

Its really not tied to ability, at least not directly. Look at James Toney, he had no ability but got a big payday because he was a big draw in terms of boxing cross-over.
    Somebody with lots of ability but isn't known at all isn't marketable so can't negotiate much to start with. A lot of journeyman type fighters are paid well because they are well known.
    Obviously, a fighter can use ability to propel himself through a division and become a huge draw (eg Jon Jones), but as I said its not directly related.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Evans
    I'm not arguing saying he should be getting more, just saying it must be sh*t to be the co-main event and only pick up 8k.

Agree though that he shouldn't have been in that fight in the first place.

I have no idea why people always seem to look at it this way.

You can look at it a different way. Che Mills was in just his 2nd fight and was always gonna pick up 8k for it... they just happened to give him the extra chance of exposure by puttin ghim in the Co-Main.

Anyway, Che Mills didn't earn his spot in the Co-Main, Che Mills was put in there to give Rory mcDonald an opponent. Whoever Rory Mcdonald was fighting was gonna be in the Co-Main event. However, had it been Che Mills and anyone else, it would've been on the under card!

Evans
    MrStuffins wrote: »
    You can look at it a different way. Che Mills was in just his 2nd fight and was always gonna pick up 8k for it... they just happened to give him the extra chance of exposure by puttin ghim in the Co-Main.

Co-Main eventers get a huge sponsorship bonus too for the exposure of being on before Jones-Evans so chances are he got paid 30k plus for that.

Advertisement