Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert '11/'12 Off-Topic 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Right, my parents have signed me up for study from 6-10 on weekdays and 10-3 on Saturdays for May. Hopefully I'll pass the lc now? I have yet to start studying for my French oral which is on Monday. MOTIVATION, WHERE THE FÚCK ARE YOU

Fúck I know.
    I think once I'm back in school I'll get some sort of decent work ethic into me, but these holidays have gone brutally. French oral in a few days and sweet fúck all done. I'm clearing my desk tonight and going to leave a french book there to start on tomorrow afternoon. Hopefully that'll encourage me enough.

I can't agree enough.
    Motivation cometh down upon me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Eathrin wrote: »
    Fúck I know.
    I think once I'm back in school I'll get some sort of decent work ethic into me, but these holidays have gone brutally. French oral in a few days and sweet fúck all done. I'm clearing my desk tonight and going to leave a french book there to start on tomorrow afternoon. Hopefully that'll encourage me enough.

I can't agree enough.
    Motivation cometh down upon me!

Same here, I haven't studied in over a week now! Can't believe how horrendously they've gone for me! At the start of LC I was aiming for 480 and now I'm not even going to get 400 ffs.
    I'm going to go to my dad's office tomorrow and study there cuz there'll be nobody there and no distractions.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

Siobhnk wrote: »
    Earbuds are a stupid invention. Earphones are grand but I can't see how earbuds stay in people's ears without jamming them in. Stupid.

Sorry everything's annoying me today :/
    Haha I never get people saying that - they fit so nicely! They're almost airtight :D
    Normal earphones just kinda wobble or something...do I have weird ears guys? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

leaveiton wrote: »
    I recommend you get Codes' album, it's really so good! I've heard of Little Green Cars but never actually listened to them.

Heathers are great! Seen them and met them a couple of times too (I've actually met a lot of the Irish bands I like, I'm not a stalker I swear :o). One time they were doing a gig in HMV and then a signing. I already had the album so I asked them to sign a birthday card for a friend who also liked them. They probably thought I was a bit mad.

Other quieter, more folky (sometimes) acts I love and that I'd say are worth checking out would be the likes of Lisa Hannigan, Villagers, Fionn Regan and James Vincent McMorrow. There's really such talent on this little island!

Lucky! I love Be Good Or Be Gone by Fionn Regan, and I think I've heard a few songs by Lisa Hannigan. Never listened to James Vincent McMorrow but I downloaded some Villagers stuff ages ago to listen too.

And I will definitely get the Codes album, love them!

For some reason I actually really like Brendan by Little Green Cars. Their other stuff is okay but I prefer that song!

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Lads, ye're all aware that Brian Reilly is back to BriBry, yeah?

Also. Men suck.

• Advertisement

CTYIgirl wrote: »

Also. Men suck.

Well aware of both. :cool: (Obviously not all men!) :)

His name change didn't last very long. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

Also. Men suck.

Yup, he's back to BriBry for music but Brian Reilly is still his actual name so... :P

Men suck? Thanks for generalising :)
    What happened though?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

No, it didn't. My brother and I refused to call him Brian though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Siobhnk

What happened ctyi? :/

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Adolescenteen

Irish Oral Wednesday and haven't touched scraith idiotic pointless pictures yet! :D

It's somewhat embarrassing that after 14 years of doing Irish in primary and secondary I'm going in to my orals more confident in French then Irish.

Looking forward to that moment I come out of my French oral tuesday week knowing I never have to worry about speaking my hobbies, my school and my family in another language ever again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

Togepi wrote: »
    Lucky! I love Be Good Or Be Gone by Fionn Regan, and I think I've heard a few songs by Lisa Hannigan. Never listened to James Vincent McMorrow but I downloaded some Villagers stuff ages ago to listen too.

And I will definitely get the Codes album, love them!

For some reason I actually really like Brendan by Little Green Cars. Their other stuff is okay but I prefer that song!

I'd be happy to recommend songs or whatever if you want to listen to any of them more :D

Guy I've liked for ages, he decides to tell me he likes me. Three texts later I get 'If only we weren't friends'. I'm rather annoyed, and feel like my heart's been ripped out and stood on.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Adolescenteen

Guy I've liked for ages, he decides to tell me he likes me. Three texts later I get 'If only we weren't friends'. I'm rather annoyed, and feel like my heart's been ripped out and stood on.

That really sucks. I remember a girl I adored told me she was into me, then a few weeks I was stuck in the friend zone. I was crushed.

Hope you feel better soon.

leaveiton wrote: »
    I'd be happy to recommend songs or whatever if you want to listen to any of them more :D

Sure, if you've got any favourites by Fionn Regan or Villages throw me a few song names and I'll give 'em a listen. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Siobhnk

Patchy~ wrote: »
    Haha I never get people saying that - they fit so nicely! They're almost airtight :D
    Normal earphones just kinda wobble or something...do I have weird ears guys? :(

Maybe I'm the one with the weird ears? :(

And ctyi, I know it's hard now, but in a few weeks you won't even give it a second thought. Some lads aren't worth the time, but some are. It's just about finding the ones that are worth it! :) ya have to kiss a few frogs before you meet your prince.

Lads, I'm thinking of trying to bring a difficult topic into my oral to make me look good.

"Parlez-moi de votre famille"
    "Ma mère était une infermière mais elle a perdu son emploi à cause de la crise économique."
    and then elaborate.

Would this be a good or bad idea?

Good if you can do it, but the thing is that seems like it'd be so early! I think you should let it be natural and drag it in if you have to :P

Yeah maybe bring it in later, I doubt it'll be too hard to bring it up. :)

What do people think of using the subjunctive really early in the orals? I plan on using one of my subjunctive phrases when talking about my family. :cool:

Yeah maybe bring it in later, I doubt it'll be too hard to bring it up. :)

What do people think of using the subjunctive really early in the orals? I plan on using one of my subjunctive phrases when talking about my family. :cool:

Mes parents m'énervent souvent au sujet des études, mais en fin de compte je sais qu'ils veulent que je fasse de mon mieux.

If I don't get to say that il y aura la guerre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Dwellingdweller

Irish Oral Wednesday and haven't touched scraith idiotic pointless pictures yet! :D

It's somewhat embarrassing that after 14 years of doing Irish in primary and secondary I'm going in to my orals more confident in French then Irish.

Looking forward to that moment I come out of my French oral tuesday week knowing I never have to worry about speaking my hobbies, my school and my family in another language ever again.

Don't be embarassed, I've lived in the Gaeltacht for all of my school life and I prefer speaking French over Irish too :pac: I need to practice for my French oral, I love French and I'm always looking stuff up in it (when I'm dossing, as usual :P) but I need to practice speaking it. Ah well sure. My mock oral went really well so hopefully this one will go just that wee bit better and I'll get that A1 :D

• Advertisement

Mes parents m'énervent souvent au sujet des études, mais en fin de compte je sais qu'ils veulent que je fasse de mon mieux.

If I don't get to say that il y aura la guerre.

Très bien! But what does 'en fin de compte' mean? Is it like 'at the end of the day'?

Très bien! But what does 'en fin de compte' mean? Is it like 'at the end of the day'?

Yeap! It's apparently quite colloquial so it's a good one to use!

Cheers Coeur! Definitely stealing it. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Recorded myself speaking french today, problem is I hate the sound of my voice being played back to me so much that I can't listen to it...

Namlub wrote: »
    Recorded myself speaking french today, problem is I hate the sound of my voice being played back to me so much that I can't listen to it...

Same here. I always try to convince myself that I sound nothing like what I do in videos and **** but everyone else sounds exactly the same, so that must mean I have the most annoying voice ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Manic2

I went out.
    I then went to a house party.

I just got home.
    It's 7:08am.
    I have a leaving cert to study for.

God help me.

I'm up early for the first time in two weeks :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Patchy~ wrote: »
    I'm up early for the first time in two weeks :o

Me too! :P I've been up since half 7, crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Namlub wrote: »
    Me too! I actually have quite a good French Accent though, i'm just terrified of being asked a question I don't understand :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Guys, one more question about the French Oral. I'm trying to throw a subjuctive and conditional into my document somewhere, can anyone tell me if the following sentences make sense:
    • Il est necessaire qu'il obtient
    • Il voudrait étudier la loi ou médecin a la fac
    • Il est clair que

Thank you!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement