Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert '11/'12 Off-Topic 2

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

Oh god, reading that thread about HL Maths P1 last year makes me want to drop so badly. I'm not bad at maths or anything, but dear god, the thoughts of failing when I dont even need HL...but the thoughts of missing out on an easy paper with 25 points!

And the thoughts of having to count history :L

And David I just did 3 aural papers - gotta love having homework over the Easter which doesnt relate to the oral. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

Patchy~ wrote: »
    Oh god, reading that thread about HL Maths P1 last year makes me want to drop so badly. I'm not bad at maths or anything, but dear god, the thoughts of failing when I dont even need HL...but the thoughts of missing out on an easy paper with 25 points!

And the thoughts of having to count history :L

And David I just did 3 aural papers - gotta love having homework over the Easter which doesnt relate to the oral. :P

God 3 aural papers...Fair play! Haha honestly hate doing them :D But I can remember for my junior cert I didnt do too great in the aural and like every Saturday morning I just did a few questions of tape and worked wonders! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

I've been doing sraith phictiuiri since 9 oclock this morning.

I'm on the brink of a nervous breakdown...

And the SEC thought these pictures would make Irish a more appealing subject? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

SEC figured there are visual learners :D

Regarding the sraith pictuir are they expecting fancy sentences on each picture or can you give simple few sentences on each of the pictures and get near full marks?

In short,can you get full marks using 3-4 lines of simple Irish on each picture or better to use more fancy phrases and stuff?? :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

Instead of learning the sraith pictiurs I keep looking at them and thinking about how ridiculous some of the situations are and the flaws in the drawing.

Like in the "Bua sa chomórtas díospóireactha." Why did the judge go out with the team for burgers after?!

In the "Timpiste," you can clearly see the woman wearing a white top in the 2nd picture. Then in the 4th picture it's a black top and white trousers. And then in the 5th picture it's a black top and a white skirt! She clearly doesn't care about the poor man if she has time to change her clothes so often. Selfish bitch!

...And that's why I'm failing my Irish oral :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

David1994 wrote: »
    Regarding the sraith pictuir are they expecting fancy sentences on each picture or can you give simple few sentences on each of the pictures and get near full marks?

In short,can you get full marks using 3-4 lines of simple Irish on each picture or better to use more fancy phrases and stuff?? :D

They don't really seem to want to give you full marks for some reason. I would have expected that if you could describe the pictures both coherently and accurately you'd be in line for full marks but not according to my mock oral.
    Nope, fluency isn't enough, fancy learned off Irish is the big deal now.
    Wánkers.

leaveiton wrote: »
    Instead of learning the sraith pictiurs I keep looking at them and thinking about how ridiculous some of the situations are and the flaws in the drawing.

Like in the "Bua sa chomórtas díospóireactha." Why did the judge go out with the team for burgers after?!

In the "Timpiste," you can clearly see the woman wearing a white top in the 2nd picture. Then in the 4th picture it's a black top and white trousers. And then in the 5th picture it's a black top and a white skirt! She clearly doesn't care about the poor man if she has time to change her clothes so often. Selfish bitch!

Don't worry I do the same thing:pac:
    In the one with the new mobile phone, the girl clearly has a moustache....
    And in that díospóireacht one they get some massive prize for doing one debate!

Also, where did you get your username from? I think there's a delorentos song of the same name.

Eathrin wrote: »
    They don't really seem to want to give you full marks for some reason. I would have expected that if you could describe the pictures both coherently and accurately you'd be in line for full marks but not according to my mock oral.
    Wánkers.

Ye it does seem to be like that :( In my mock oral and the other practice on we had I described the pictures quite coherently and answered the questions correctly yet still got 65/80 in both of the exams....It's a bit ridiculous really :/

Also, where did you get your username from? I think there's a delorentos song of the same name.

That is exactly where I got it from :D One of my favourite songs/bands!

• Advertisement

Yeah I notice that aswell!..In the laethanta saoire one in the middle of the 5th picture a young boy is sucking a guy's...:eek: And if you closely at the turas scoile one in picture 5, there's an evil man behind the chair!

That is exactly where I got it from :D One of my favourite songs/bands!

Really great band, I love Irish bands:).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭c28omzk7ihsxv0

Wánkers.
    I don't do Irish but I do French (Just dropped to ordinary Wehey!) But I must say it's the same, they no longer test your fluency, only your learned off sentances. They should be teaching languages like you learned english when you were younger, talking, then writing. Getting a base understanding of the language and then focusing on using vocab etc.

Especially with Irish when fellas have been doing it for nearly 13 years and can't even say a few words about their family!

Wesc. wrote: »
    Yeah I notice that aswell!..In the laethanta saoire one in the middle of the 5th picture a young boy is sucking a guy's...:eek:

Yep, I've noticed that one as well! I've really racked my brains trying to think of what that could be innocently, but I do genuinely believe the illustrator just put it in for the craic. Probably got pissed off at having to draw 20 of these things :p
    Really great band, I love Irish bands:).

Yeah they're brilliant, even seen them live? I love Irish bands/singers as well, who else would you listen to?

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭JonnyMcNamee

Wánkers.
    My teacher said that at a conference about the new course they said that to get scored highly in higher level in the sraith pictures you have to use a lot of nathanna cainte and rich vocab. Seanfhocails are also advised! Its not even about the Irish and how good of a grasp you have of it anymore.. Its all about rote learning :/

Yeah they're brilliant, even seen them live? I love Irish bands/singers as well, who else would you listen to?

No and I kinda regret it now because they were doing a small bit of touring there for Little Sparks.
    As far as Irish bands go I absolutely love listening to Republic of Loose. Loads of others like The Coronas, Miracle Bell, Adebisi Shank, Bell X1, The Blizzards, Two Door Cinema Club etc etc.
    I don't limit myself to Irish Indie though. Love bands like Phoenix and Foster the People too.

I know I am going to try and throw in the phrase 'ar mhuin na muice' in whatever one I am asked :D I love that phrase haha!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭c28omzk7ihsxv0

No and I kinda regret it now because they were doing a small bit of touring there for Little Sparks.
    As far as Irish bands go I absolutely love listening to Republic of Loose. Loads of others like The Coronas, Miracle Bell, Adebisi Shank, Bell X1, The Blizzards, Two Door Cinema Club etc etc.
    I don't limit myself to Irish Indie though. Love bands like Phoenix and Foster the People too.
    The oddsocks and Tucon - Epic bands.

They're really good live! Really nice fellas too, met them a couple of times and they're lovely. They're actually doing a gig in the Button Factory again on May 18th along with The Minutes and We Cut Corners. Tickets are free but you have to win them, you apply for them at jdroots.ie. (Feel a bit like I'm advertising them :o)

Two Door Cinema Club and Bell X1 are pretty good, not big into The Coronas or The Bilzzards and I've never actually listened to Adebisi Shank or Miracle Bell despite hearing the names bandied about a good bit. Ever listened to a band called Codes?

I know I am going to try and throw in the phrase 'ar mhuin na muice' in whatever one I am asked :D I love that phrase haha!!

That is my exact plan :D Only a couple of pictures where you can't use it too! A1 material right here!

• Advertisement

Or in my case, ta an ghrian ag scoilteadh na glcoch! :D

That is my exact plan :D Only a couple of pictures where you can't use it too! A1 material right here!

We will be guaranteed A1's before we sit it haha :D

They're really good live! Really nice fellas too, met them a couple of times and they're lovely. They're actually doing a gig in the Button Factory again on May 18th along with The Minutes and We Cut Corners. Tickets are free but you have to win them, you apply for them at jdroots.ie. (Feel a bit like I'm advertising them :o)

Two Door Cinema Club and Bell X1 are pretty good, not big into The Coronas or The Bilzzards and I've never actually listened to Adebisi Shank or Miracle Bell despite hearing the names bandied about a good bit. Ever listened to a band called Codes?

So all of the tickets are to be won? Can't just turn upon the night? Sounds good anyway.
    I've never heard of the Codes before, any good?
    Adebisi Shank are an amazing instrumental rock band, Miracle Bell play electronic/indie type music, band looks like splitting up though now after one good album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Dwellingdweller

I saw The Minutes live last year, they were supporting Fight Like Apes in Derry. Man it was an epic gig :D Tiniest crowd ever but it still rocked! We Cut Corners are playing Sea Sessions along with The Minutes this year too... Looks epic :pac: There's a band on the bill called Neon Wolf that are only starting out, I reckon they're going to get really big. There's just so much great Irish music right now :)

So all of the tickets are to be won? Can't just turn upon the night? Sounds good anyway.
    I've never heard of the Codes before, any good?
    Adebisi Shank are an amazing instrumental rock band, Miracle Bell play electronic/indie type music, band looks like splitting up though now after one good album.

I think so, not entirely sure though!

Codes are great!

Those are two of their singles, their album "Trees Dream In Algebra" is brilliant. It's difficult to look up their stuff on youtube though because when you type in "Codes", you don't really get results from an Irish indie band :p

I'll have to check those out. There are so many great Irish bands/musicians around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

Just to add to that Irish bands list I think The Riptide Movement are class. They are releasing a new album on the 20th too! Small acts like Harry & Alfie (HudsonTaylor), Mo Hat Mo Gheansai and Brian Reilly are also worth a mention I think.

I love indie music too :) if you're into bands like Phoenix and Foster The People then I'd also recommend French Films, The Vaccines, Kakkmaddafakka and maybe Bombay Bicycle Club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

subz3r0 wrote: »
    Small acts like Harry & Alfie (HudsonTaylor), Mo Hat Mo Gheansai and Brian Reilly are also worth a mention I think.

Ha I love those, Mo Hat Mo Gheansaí do really good covers as Gaeilge too. :D

And I loved anything I ever heard by Codes, never managed to listen to them properly though. I think Little Green Cars are class too, no one seems to have heard of them though.

Favourite Irish band of all time though, has to be Heathers. New album out very soon, heard the single last week and love it as much as the stuff on their first album! :D

Togepi wrote: »
    Ha I love those, Mo Hat Mo Gheansaí do really good covers as Gaeilge too. :D

And I loved anything I ever heard by Codes, never managed to listen to them properly though. I think Little Green Cars are class too, no one seems to have heard of them though.

Favourite Irish band of all time though, has to be Heathers. New album out very soon, heard the single last week and love it as much as the stuff on their first album! :D

I recommend you get Codes' album, it's really so good! I've heard of Little Green Cars but never actually listened to them.

Heathers are great! Seen them and met them a couple of times too (I've actually met a lot of the Irish bands I like, I'm not a stalker I swear :o). One time they were doing a gig in HMV and then a signing. I already had the album so I asked them to sign a birthday card for a friend who also liked them. They probably thought I was a bit mad.

Other quieter, more folky (sometimes) acts I love and that I'd say are worth checking out would be the likes of Lisa Hannigan, Villagers, Fionn Regan and James Vincent McMorrow. There's really such talent on this little island!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Right, my parents have signed me up for study from 6-10 on weekdays and 10-3 on Saturdays for May. Hopefully I'll pass the lc now? I have yet to start studying for my French oral which is on Monday. MOTIVATION, WHERE THE FÚCK ARE YOU

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Siobhnk

Earbuds are a stupid invention. Earphones are grand but I can't see how earbuds stay in people's ears without jamming them in. Stupid.

Sorry everything's annoying me today :/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement