Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Miss Universe has a little secret...

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Yes why wouldnt i ?

Should i be afraid to speak my mind or something ?

Oh you shouldn't buddy. It's much easier for a troll to speak their mind on the internet than in real life in the exact same way, which can be hazardous to ones health.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

I can't fathom why anyone would care to be honest. I've loads of gay/lesbian/trans/whatever friends and they're just people as far as I'm concerned.

Sexual preference is not an eyeball-borne contagion.

Anyways I haven't much time for the Miss Universe stuff, I likes me women with a bit more mate on their bones.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,083 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

krudler wrote: »
    "its my opinion" is the go to response for ignorant bigots who cant fathom there are people who dont share their close minded views.

Maybe if more people spoke there minds there wouldn't be so many two faced ****s going around.

Its really easy to win an argument on here when your agreeing with the rest of the moral police.

Oh you shouldn't buddy. It's much easier for a troll to speak their mind on the internet than in real life in the exact same way, which can be hazardous to ones health.

lol everyones a bloody troll when there opinions are not agreed with by the main fan base on here.

If i feel something i say it internet or in person weather its ''Hazardous to ones health'' or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

"its my opinion" is the go to response for ignorant bigots who cant fathom there are people who dont share their close minded views.
    Up there with:

"Political correctness gone mad!"
    "What about free speech?"
    "That's censorship!"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

you sound very aggressive considering you are a lady. :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

hondasam wrote: »
    you sound very aggressive considering you are a lady. :)

Just started HRT today and I'm alittle moody and wired at the moment.

Just started HRT today and I'm alittle moody and wired at the moment.

Welcome to the world of women, hormones and mood swings :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

by god people, what is wrong with some of you?

seriously. do you not know that when you are talking about transgender people, you are talking about living, breathing human beings, who have feelings, hopes, dreams and lives? some of whom are reading this thread? and you talk like trans people are utterly inhuman? some people here really need to take a good long look in the mirror, and seriously cop on. I see that yet again, certain individuals are continuing to post like fanatics about trans issues, spewing the same ill-informed nonsense they have in countless threads before it. every time a thread like this comes up, there's some people who always seem to show up, one in particular who seems to have a huge axe to grind, and really it's gone beyond obsessive and it's just downright creepy.

I'll say it again, as I have a dozen times already, being transgender is NOT a mental illness/disorder or any form of psychiatric condition, it's been de-listed as a mental illness already in many countries, many professional mental health organizations have stated that it is not a mental illness and have gone on to advise against psychiatric treatment of transsexuality, deeming it to be ineffective. As well as that, in the past decade there has been an ever-increasing amount of evidence that shows transsexuality to have biological causes.

just one example of this: Transsexual Gene Link Identified

so lets please stop posting nonsense about transgender people

Oh, and one other thing... YES, transgender women can compete in the olympics as women for years now, there's nothing new there.

they can compete, because after some time on hormone treatment, any physical advantage they might have had from being under the effects of testosterone are lost. my own musculature has changed drastically in the relatively short time I've been on treatment.

this will give you an idea of the kind of physiological changes that happen with male to female hormone treatment:

so yes, trans women can compete in the olympics :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 2,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chorcai

genericguy wrote: »
    to be fair, the electro option is far less expensive than the other option some of these gay men who want to be women are constantly trying to get the government to pay for.

Most of the people I know who are trans were hetrosexual male and female who had gender reasignment, I still view them as hetrosexual, they have no desire to be with the same sex. To add another point I know more hetrosexual women who want or are about to become a man. 99.99999% of the gay men I know only want to be with gay men, and don't want to become a woman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

So can you still enter if you have a dick or wha?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,747 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Chorcai wrote: »
    99.99999% of the gay men I know only want to be with gay men, and don't want to become a woman.
    you know 1,000,000 people :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Pherekydes wrote: »
    They get their birth certs changed to reflect their current gender.

Didn't you know?

http://www.gidi.ie/Legal_2.htm

Birth Certificates are accepted as proof of personal identity for a wide range of administrative and legal procedures. Consequently people who change their surnames by adopting a new surname which has no connection with their former one, may experience some difficulty when they produce a birth certificate in which their surname differs from the one in usage.

It is advisable therefore to prepare at the time at which the change is made a formal deed poll or affidavit indicating that you have ceased to use the former surname and that henceforth wish to be known by the assumed name.

It should be noted that at this present time you cannot legally change your gender as it currently recorded on your Birth Certificate, however this policy may change at a future date.

Also, this is a really good article by Natalie Reed:

Bilaterally Gynandromorphic Chickens And Why I’m Not “Scientifically” Male
    The truth is chromosomes don’t really play all that much of a role in human sexual differentiation. That work is done by hormones. Basically, all of our cells (and tissues) carry the genetic potential to express themselves in either female or male ways. Hormones come along and send a little message to activate certain genes or deactivate other ones. Estrogen comes in and says, “Okay, ladies! Time to do girl stuff!”… or testosterone struts on in and says “Listen, dudes. It’s time to man up. Hoo-hah!”.

I’ve also come across the misconception that there are such things as “male cells” and “female cells”. It doesn’t work like that. The Y chromosome doesn’t really do much. Basically, it only has one real function, and that’s to transform the embryonic ovaries into testes, which then triggers the cascade of hormones that signal the necessary mutations and cellular functions that create a male body. The rest of the Y chromosome is mostly just deteriorating junk DNA. And in the case of XX cells, one of those X chromosomes is deactivated. This means there is pretty much no functional difference between an XX cell and an XY cell at all.

Links234 wrote: »
    by god people, what is wrong with some of you?

seriously. do you not know that when you are talking about transgender people, you are talking about living, breathing human beings, who have feelings, hopes, dreams and lives? some of whom are reading this thread? and you talk like trans people are utterly inhuman? some people here really need to take a good long look in the mirror, and seriously cop on. I see that yet again, certain individuals are continuing to post like fanatics about trans issues, spewing the same ill-informed nonsense they have in countless threads before it. every time a thread like this comes up, there's some people who always seem to show up, one in particular who seems to have a huge axe to grind, and really it's gone beyond obsessive and it's just downright creepy.

I'll say it again, as I have a dozen times already, being transgender is NOT a mental illness/disorder or any form of psychiatric condition, it's been de-listed as a mental illness already in many countries, many professional mental health organizations have stated that it is not a mental illness and have gone on to advise against psychiatric treatment of transsexuality, deeming it to be ineffective. As well as that, in the past decade there has been an ever-increasing amount of evidence that shows transsexuality to have biological causes.

just one example of this: Transsexual Gene Link Identified

so lets please stop posting nonsense about transgender people

Understand something here ok i know what it is but i actually dont care.

Just because you,s get your links and your facts and the rest of your ****e and throw it up here all the time that does not mean i have to agree or like it.

Thats the beauty of having your own mind you think for yourself.

What is it with certain groups of people that if you dont except and embrace them that they get so uptight about throwing ****ing facts and statements in your face.

Unfortunately not everyone sees things the same its just life ok.

If i dont like something theres not much you or anyone else can do about it. Weather its a condition or not changes nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

SugarCoat wrote: »
    Just for the sake of stirring the pot...

Transexual or not there is hardly anything natural about women anymore.Think about it,Fake nails,fake hair colour,hair extensions,hair removal,fake boobs,make-up and starvation diets.From that point of view they should be seen as women.

let the storm commence!

o wow u are so controversial

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Just because you,s get your links and your facts and the rest of your ****e and throw it up here all the time that does not mean i have to agree or like it.

What is it with certain groups of people that if you dont except and embrace them that they get so uptight about throwing ****ing facts and statements in your face.

If i dont like something theres not much you or anyone else can do about it. Weather its a condition or not changes nothing.

Refusing to believe verified facts is not the same as having your own mind.

I won't say what refusing to believe facts actually is.

There's such a thing as being factually incorrect though angerfist

oh, and it wouldn't be a "politically correct" AH thread without a Stewart Lee video :D

Angerfist, I think if you were told you were a freak etc for something you can't control, and all the other verbal vomit by that individual who was banned and whom you agree with, you'd spout facts and figures to defend yourself too.
    It's true you can't help how you feel if the idea makes you uncomfortable and you can't fully understand it, but to agree with the pure uninformed hate that person wrote is a bit much.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

lol this is hilarious!! "Shut up with you and your facts"

"Dublin is the capitol of Ireland"
    -"Fúck off you freak, I disagree"

I've never actually seen a debate on here where someone is actually accepting that something is a fact, yet disagreeing with it. :confused:

Dudess wrote: »
    Angerfist, I think if you were told you were a freak etc for something you can't control, and all the other verbal vomit by that individual who was banned and whom you agree with, you'd spout facts and figures to defend yourself too.
    It's true you can't help how you feel if the idea makes you uncomfortable and you can't fully understand it, but to agree with the pure uninformed hate that person wrote is a bit much.

Do you think he was serious or just trying to get a reaction?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 2,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chorcai

you know 1,000,000 people :eek:

99.999999 % ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Yeah! Let's not let science and fact get in the way :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

I never heard transgender until a few years ago. People used to always use transvestite for some who got a sex-change operation.

Actually, transvestite's are just people who wear the opposite sex's clothes. They may well be otherwise heterosexual.:)

There is something called Gender Identity Disorder, which is a recognised medical condition and classed as a disability in Ireland and many other countries (even Iran!). Essentially, it means that someone self-identifies as being a woman in a man's body or vice versa and can undergo a process that involves hormones, role acting and, eventually, reconstructive surgery. The treatment involves painstaking psychological and medical checks and takes years.:( If the patient is a man, the big snig:eek: - removal of the lad and its replacement with a vagina that even a trained gynaecologist wouldn't immediately recognise as anything but natural - comes right at the end. Before that, the person will have been legally granted a status as a member of the gender (s)he has opted to switch to.

Employers are required by law to make "reasonable accommodation" for a person who becomes transgendered. There was one interesting case in Ireland last year, and I think the judge got it just right:

http://www.equalitytribunal.ie/Database-of-Decisions/2011/Employment-Equality-Decisions/DEC-E2011-066-Full-Caase-Report.html

I've never actually seen a debate on here where someone is actually accepting that something is a fact, yet disagreeing with it. :confused:
    Ya haven't?! :pac:

In fairness though, I don't think angerfist is disputing the facts, just expressing the point of view that transsexuality makes him feel uncomfortable.

hondasam wrote: »
    Do you think he was serious or just trying to get a reaction?

He was serious and has a history of it.

• Administrators Posts: 53,378 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Refusing to believe verified facts is not the same as having your own mind.

I won't say what refusing to believe facts actually is.
    Are they really verified though? To me it seems the whole transgender thing is still pretty much up in the air with everyone having a different view on it. The idea of someone being born a man but really being a woman is alien to me, I can't wrap my head around it. But that's me. I certainly wouldn't view it as a mental illness though.

For what it's worth, personally I don't care. If they want to change gender that's up to them. I personally couldn't date a girl who used to be a guy. I'm sure plenty of guys feel the same, and I'm sure plenty of girls feel the same about the opposite situation.

Ultimately they are women in the eyes of the law and in day to day life, but when it comes to the romantic side of life I'd still think it was a man. If I am being unfair or rude or crass there I'm sorry, I'm not meaning to be controversial or annoy anyone (especially as it seems there are some transgender people reading this thread). Just saying it as I think I'd see it if the situation arose. So while you may be treated pretty much the same as someone born your new sex, you'll never be seen as exactly the same as someone born your new sex.

I think most transgenders are aware of this though, I don't think that'd come as a surprise to them. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

bloody facts getting in the way of a good ignorant opinion, fact shmacts!

• Advertisement

Yeah! Let's not let science and fact get in the way :rolleyes:
    bloody facts getting in the way of a good ignorant opinion, fact shmacts!

I think her point is she does not care about the facts because it will not change her opinion. Trying to explain facts or posting links is a waste of time, this is her point. She is not disputing the facts.

Advertisement