Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Miss Universe has a little secret...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

genericguy wrote: »
    to be fair, the electro option is far less expensive than the other option some of these gay men who want to be women are constantly trying to get the government to pay for.

And this guy wants reasoned debate with your ilk:

Eramen wrote: »
    'Transphobic', what a nice word.. You don't like a persons opinion so now you're trying to intimidate and de-legitimise because you don't want to engage in reasoned debate with them.

If you have to resort to name-calling and a cultural-marxist ideological framework you really have nothing to back up an opinion with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Yep, I did, however I can scribble on mine that I'm Ballabriggs but that doesn't mean I have a right to run in the fking grand national now, does it?

LOL are you a horse?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

They can get birth certs changed

I dont think they can in Ireland yet, they can in the UK though, open to correction on that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

hondasam wrote: »
    LOL are you a horse?

Fúck it sure, if random men can call themselves women after swallowing a few tablets, then tonight matthew, i'm going to be a horsie.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Fúck it sure, if random men can call themselves women after swallowing a few tablets, then tonight matthew, i'm going to be a horsie.

You know there's more involved than that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭Paulie Gualtieri

I'll turn that question on it's head - what reason can you give as to why a transgendered person should not be be allowed to enter Miss Universe? Would they be gifted an unfair advantage? Or would there be aspects of the pageant they'd be incapable of performing?

If we accept it's a beauty contest and as such is simply about outward appearances then what's the issue?

you accept it as that , I dont , its a competition for real women , cant keep repeating that , when I have children id like them to know whats what in the world , not men who are women and women who are men , and the more mainstream that becomes the fcuked up this world will be . by all means let people have a transgender miss universe which there probably already is , and lets call a spade a spade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

you accept it as that , I dont ,

if it's not a beauty contest then what is it?
    its a competition for real women , cant keep repeating that , when I have children id like them to know whats what in the world , not men who are women and women who are men , and the more mainstream that becomes the fcuked up this world will be . by all means let people have a transgender miss universe which there probably already is , and lets call a spade a spade.

So, you accept there is no difference between a "real woman" and a transgendered contestant?
    Because unless there is some kind of advantage or disadvantage conferred on the transgenedered contestant by the virtue of their status as transgendered, then there is no compelling argument to keep them out of the competition.

Your worldview, fears for children as yet unborn and slippery slope fallacies don't matter.

I will be honest here and say there was a time I would have had the same opinion as some posters on here. It was someone on boards who helped change my mind and educate me about what it's like to be transgender.
    I had not given it much thought until I got friendly with this person and she gave me stuff to read up on. It's not as simple as swallowing a few tablets and I guess you know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Eramen

I think the real reason why people are attempting to describe transgender people as being female is simply a result of societal conditioning and popular icons that people in most western countries absorb on a day-to-day basis, nothing more. It's not factual or scientific in the sense of us being absolutely certain they are women with the necessary proof. Indeed this will never be the case.

If a transgendered person were indeed a female we would call them a 'female', but we do not call them this since it is recognized that they are transgender, because that do not have the biology traits of a woman nor the hormonal etc, thus the generally accepted description contains this information "transgender".

Miss Universe is a competition for females, and the fact that people who simply 'identify with females' can enjoy the same privileges as a genuine female is just a pushing of this aforementioned social conditioning on the populace. Ultimately it is a cultivation of the ideology of the day (promoted in hollywood, lobby groups, social-think tanks etc) in the masses, it's nothing to do with the journey of self-discovery of the transgendered person - they are just a pawn in a much larger game - and this nothing more than a cruelty to them.

Anyone worth their salt knows this, and the larger forces at play, of false-altruism and an impossible egalitarianism at all costs - even if it means ripping functional society as we know it apart..

Note: I've no problem with trangendered people, as long as they aren't part of a political lobby group reflecting a particular group sexual identity, because this kind of politics is based on lobbying which implies a special interest and is adverse to common interest of all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

you accept it as that , I dont , its a competition for real women , cant keep repeating that , when I have children id like them to know whats what in the world , not men who are women and women who are men , and the more mainstream that becomes the fcuked up this world will be . by all means let people have a transgender miss universe which there probably already is , and lets call a spade a spade.

But if you want them to know how things are in the world, you'd do well to let them know that gender identities are more complex than a simple binary opposition between masculinity and femininity, because that's how things are in the world.
    The average Joe/sephine has a combination of stereotypically masculine and feminine traits, even if one side dominates.
    And it's simply a fact that people are born who identify themselves as a particular gender different from their biological identity.
    Even if you don't agree with such people having sex changes or think they have psychological problems, if you want your children to know how the world is, then you'll need to let them know about such people.

• Advertisement

Note: I've no problem with trangendered people, as long as they aren't part of a political lobby group reflecting a particular group sexual identity, because this kind of politics is based on lobbying which implies a special interest, and not a common interest.

"I'm fine with them as long as they don't cause a fuss by trying to change anything."

No one knows what life has in store for them.
    These kids you hope to have, what if one of them is transgender? This conversation could resurface in your life in 10/20 yrs time. It's hard to say if you would be bothered or not, most people say they would not be bothered until faced with the reality.

So, you accept there is no difference between a "real woman" and a transgendered contestant?

there's a huge difference - one is a real woman,and the other is a transgendered contestant.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭gypsy_rose

For all you budding biologists stating so knowingly that a man is born with an X and a Y chromosome and a women is born with two X chromosomes, may I refer you to these:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XY_gonadal_dysgenesis

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XX_male_syndrome

The beauty of nature is that it is never clear cut or black and white. I think God just loves ****ing with us.

there's a huge difference - one is a real woman,and the other is a transgendered contestant.

Fine then, maybe you'd like to point out what part of the competition they'd have an advantage or disadvantage in by virtue of being transgendered.

I'll wait, take your time.

"I'm fine with them as long as they don't cause a fuss by trying to change anything."

You misunderstand, authentic society is based on individual rights, not group rights which are simply a tool to exploit the rest of society for a special interest group.

You would rather further your own misguided ideology than the common interest of all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

If ladyboys are allowed, would lesbians who dress like blokes be eligible to enter Miss Universe? :confused:

You misunderstand, authentic society is based on individual rights, not group rights which are simply a tool to exploit the rest of society of a special interest group.

No, I don't misunderstand.
    You were quite clear on exactly what you meant.

The amazing thing is you manage to hold the above 'worldview' and still interact with this one without exploding.
    It's quite the feat.

Fine then, maybe you'd like to point out what part of the competition they'd have an advantage or disadvantage in by virtue of being transgendered.

I'll wait, take your time.

advantage or disadvantage is not the issue. the issue is that they are men.

No they were born male but are now female.

• Advertisement

So, you can't offer even one?
    How utterly predictable.

Here's some friendly advice, if you can't provide a coherent reason for your opinion, then your opinion is wrong and you should re evaluate it.

Get busy.

How utterly predictable.

Here's some friendly advice, if you can't provide a coherent reason for your opinion, then your opinion is wrong and you should re evaluate it.

Get busy.

Cod wallop psychology and 'hollywood normality' is not coherent reasoning it's just plain fanciful.. though you do have a nice high-horse, shame you've saddled it the wrong way.

How utterly predictable.

Get busy.

Right or wrong, it's his opinion and he is entitled to it, does not make him wrong.He believes what he believes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Mod:

Creeping death banned.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Hamhide wrote: »
    its hard not to feed the trolls.they look so hunrgy :3

Well I have ignored them until now.
    ...I could just respond to that by saying well im doing no harm in having my own opinion...

On the internet maybe. But would you man up and say it to someones face, mine even as I'm a male to female transsexual.
    Mod:

Creeping death banned.

You sir are a legand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Not a real woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,289 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

davet82 wrote: »
    The Miss Universe pageant is changing its rules and will allow transgender women to take part in all of its competitions starting in 2013, the organization and gay rights group GLAAD said on Tuesday.

I'm all for equal rights but... well it seems a little odd to me.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/miss-universe-changes-rules-transgender-women-130026879.html

Still looks like a man even with the long hair.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,083 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

On the internet maybe. But would you man up and say it to someones face, mine even as I'm a male to female transsexual.

Yes why wouldnt i ?

Should i be afraid to speak my mind or something ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭SugarCoat

Just for the sake of stirring the pot...

Transexual or not there is hardly anything natural about women anymore.Think about it,Fake nails,fake hair colour,hair extensions,hair removal,fake boobs,make-up and starvation diets.From that point of view they should be seen as women.

let the storm commence!

Advertisement