Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Celtic Tiger must-have items

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

A TV bigger than your room

• Registered Users Posts: 13,636 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

Grayson wrote: »
    I've just googles Turf Bucket. It's a big machine for cutting turf?
    I see what you mean.
    The one this fella bought was definetley not a machine, it was a fireside item. The buyer was Garrett Kelleher who wanted to develop the now cancelled Chicago Spire

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

micropig wrote: »
    A TV bigger than your room
    getting rid of curtains, so everyone could see your big TV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

4x4s that NEVER saw dirt.

Glad to see that's stopped.
    Oh wait....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Susie_Q

Kids I babysat always had tv in their rooms. Whatever happened to a book at bedtime? Bah!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,072 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Everyone seemed to be driving 5 series beemers at one point.
    ......... with the obligatory dyed blonde in the passenger seat doing her make up in the mirror while talking (about shoes) on the phone at the same time....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

1. A big fcuk-off SUV for the missus who didn't know how to drive or park it between 2 white lines in a car park.

This.
    I know someone who was a typical 'keeping up with the Jones' type. I remember her giving out about the mothers in their big SUVs blocking the roads at the schools. Low and behold the next time she turned up at my house, she was driving a big monstrosity of a yoke herself- and she only had one kid at the time! She said the husband had bought it for her 'as a present' (the hubby was of course working in the construction industry). I'd say she tormented him for it :rolleyes:

Aaanyway another one I can think of is electric showers. Nobody cared how much they cost when the going was good...not the same story now though...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Why hasn't anybody mentioned paying €50,000 for a car space for your €500,000 apartment in the Docklands?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭Jess16

The great expression - you're "only" renting?
    and to be made feel like a peasant if you weren't buying for the "investment"

He who laughs last, laughs longest :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Kids called Josh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

Fools buying bottles of champagne in their local to celebrate an English or Scottish teams success.
    Women wearing too much make up driving mini coopers yapping on the phone.
    Pigs on a spit.
    Bald men in Porche boxters with a sexy foreign girlfriend who works in his shop.
    Double vodka/whiskey/jagermeister and red bull

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

This.
    I know someone who was a typical 'keeping up with the Jones' type. I remember her giving out about the mothers in their big SUVs blocking the roads at the schools. Low and behold the next time she turned up at my house, she was driving a big monstrosity of a yoke herself- and she only had one kid at the time! She said the husband had bought it for her 'as a present' (the hubby was of course working in the construction industry). I'd say she tormented him for it :rolleyes:

Aaanyway another one I can think of is electric showers. Nobody cared how much they cost when the going was good...not the same story now though...

+1 This keeping up with the jones thing really annoyed me. One kid to be brought to school every morning and this gas guzzling monstrosity was used. A lot of the time the drivers men or women didnt have the first clue how to drive it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I miss the Celtic Tiger :(

Bit of a soggy kitten theses days :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

1. A big fcuk-off SUV for the missus who didn't know how to drive or park it between 2 white lines in a car park.

This.

Nothing wrong with electric showers, a lot cheaper to use than heating a full tank when you only need a quick splash

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭GEasy

Hand cooked Sea Salt and Balsamic Vinegar Crisps.

Tayto? Please......

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Melted

Were they even around 5 years ago or are you just nameing stuff you see in shops now?

some people are still stuck in the celtic tiger!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 901 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover_53

2 to 3 Sun holidays in the year

Taking a long weekend in Bulgaria/Hungary to get your teeth done & then go to a property expo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

LakesKeane wrote: »
    Hand cooked Sea Salt and Balsamic Vinegar Crisps.

Tayto? Please......

Ah c'mon, they're both amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

yoghurts made with 'hand picked strawberries' because strawberries taste more organic if they're picked by hand :rolleyes:

I call shenanigans though. Aren't all strawberries hand picked? Like labelling eggs 'specially incubated in hens'

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭ShaneMc2012

Garden lights that lit up your 'sweeping driveway'... When you lived in a semi in Cabinteely...

• Advertisement

Kids called Josh.

Kids called Josh in Avoca Handweavers with their mother.

"....do you want green or red pesto on your paninni Josh?....."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Garden lights that lit up your 'sweeping driveway'... When you lived in a semi in Cabinteely...
    Tacky solar powered garden lamps are still available in 2 Euro shops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Balloons tied to gates advertising to poor people that the little prince / princess was celebrating. Usually guests were those met at "activities" like ballet, piano, modern dance, soccer, swimming.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

A ridiculously overpriced golf club subscription, the ability to be obnoxious, a posh accent, loadsa credit cards, friends with big exciting careers in property / banking, the kids in poncy faux gaelscoileanna, some horses out the back and crap like waterpurifiers, coffee makers and dehumidifiers. A boat too if possible and food soured from m and s, household stuff for huge prices from avoka and brown thomas clothes all the way.. Also useless qualifications like a b.a. In yoga / oriental civilization for 50% of college entrants

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

An intolerant, greedy and superior attitute!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Pet donkeys (owned by donkeys :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

brown shoes white shirts and blue jeans with a really crappy naff belt.... stupid hair cuts and you'd see about 60 of these all in 1 night club drinking ****ty champaign trying with all there might to be somebody while snorting the ****est quality of cocaine youle ever get your hands on :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭The_fever

Sunderland Fans

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Strawberry jelly for a brain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭retroactive

Real Ugg boots - but not the generic brown ones (€300) but the ones not available in Ireland - pink or green.

Apartments in Bulgaria.

The apres leaving cert holiday in cabo for 2 months.

The Institute of Education.

Professional photographers for every event.

Decking.

A piano.

O' Briens sandwiches for every lunch.

Inter-railing, substituting trains for airplanes.

Buying your son a Z3 for his 17th

Lunch time cosmetic surgery.

.... I miss it.

Advertisement