Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M7 - Naas/Newbridge Bypass Upgrade [Junction 9a now open]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

L1011 wrote: »
    J3 is to motorway standards, 5 and 6 are not - although we have similarly crap junctions on other motorways it doesn't excuse it.

other LILOs like at the end of Rathcoole, Kingswood etc outbound will likely be closed up also.

Expect to see that garden centre in an old petrol station CPOed and moved/closed and similar for other abutting businesses. The online petrol stations may get a redesignation as the 1994 definition of motorway services.

That garden centre shouldn't be there in the first place. Ridiculous place for one fronting onto the 2nd busiest road in the country.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

I don't think this is an actual Invitation to Tender notice - it looks like a Prior Information Notice - a notice that is usually published in the run up to a tender submission period.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭The_Pretender

Middle Man wrote: »
    I don't think this is an actual Invitation to Tender notice - it looks like a Prior Information Notice - a notice that is usually published in the run up to a tender submission period.

It has a link to the Prior Information Notice on the bottom left of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭NedNew2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭annfield1978

Consultants being sought from the TII Framework for Consultancy Services

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

More legal wigs creating more jobs for the legal boys - tab goes to the taxpayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭pad199207

Coming home there this evening, the traffic was the worst I think I've ever seen it. The hard shoulder coming up to the Kill exit might as well be another lane now with the amount of cars that use it!

Wish they would hurry up with this widening! It's got to be prioritised!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

pad199207 wrote: »
    Coming home there this evening, the traffic was the worst I think I've ever seen it. The hard shoulder coming up to the Kill exit might as well be another lane now with the amount of cars that use it!

Wish they would hurry up with this widening! It's got to be prioritised!

There was a crash between Nass N and Naas S at about 3:45pm, as traffic tends to start building anyway at that time on a Friday it made the N7 a complete carpark. I left work at 4:45 and made a swift exit off at Citywest and took the Blessington road home, saved myself about an hour I’d say.

This widening project is potentially one of the most important infrastructure projects on the cards right now. The N7 is the 2nd busiest road in the country after the M50 (and I get to commute both everyday!), the widening not only frees up traffic is entices more people to live outside the city thereby also alleviating the pressure on housing in Dublin.

Anyways, simple truth is it’s years off completion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭gilly0512

Absolutely no doubt that this is a vital piece of infrastructure, but like most things in this country it should have been done years ago, particularly when the N7 was been widened to three lanes all the way to Naas. Chances are that it will be next year at best before they start construction, and worse again they will probably manage to make this work last the best part of three years, so a lot of pain ahead for us M7 commuters, with things getting a lot worse before they get better.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

gilly2308 wrote: »
    Chances are that it will be next year at best before they start construction, and worse again they will probably manage to make this work last the best part of three years, so a lot of pain ahead for us M7 commuters, with things getting a lot worse before they get better.
    April 2017 start, dunno about timeframe but at least 2 years i'd say.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

KILDARE: Until approx. Tues 9th Aug, the Naas/ Newbridge Rd (R445) will be reduced to one lane eastbound approaching the M7 Dublin/ Limerick Rd at the Bundle of Sticks R/A at J9 Naas South for works. These works are part of the M7 Naas Newbridge Upgrade Advance works. Take care on approach.

I presume that should read J10.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,786 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

This widening project is potentially one of the most important infrastructure projects on the cards right now. The N7 is the 2nd busiest road in the country after the M50 (and I get to commute both everyday!), the widening not only frees up traffic is entices more people to live outside the city thereby also alleviating the pressure on housing in Dublin.

Anyways, simple truth is it’s years off completion.

And a good proportion of these extra people living outside Dublin will commute to Dublin using their cars and the widened road will soon also be packed.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

The widening not only frees up traffic is entices more people to live outside the city thereby also alleviating the pressure on housing in Dublin.

Although I agree with the widening, that isn't a good reason to do it.

The official tender went out for this today, the previous one was just a PIN

https://irl.eu-supply.com/app/rfq/publicpurchase_frameset.asp?PID=99310&B=ETENDERS_SIMPLE&PS=1&PP=ctm/Supplier/publictenders

Closing date is 15 July.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Although it’s great to see, I guess us commuters are in for a world of hurt for the 3 year construction period?

Only saving grace is road projects generally come in ahead of schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

The widening on the M1 wasn't too bad, traffic wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭pad199207

At least it will so the traffic flow in the rush hours so there won't be the ejets who are flying it and have to jam on their brakes when they come to the queues and create the wave effects all the way back to the red cow

pad199207 wrote: »
    At least it will so the traffic flow in the rush hours so there won't be the ejets who are flying it and have to jam on their brakes when they come to the queues and create the wave effects all the way back to the red cow

Yep. There will be 2 lanes each way kept open through the works and the current pattern whereby the N7 dual C traffic goes fast then suddenly has to slow as 3 lanes go into 2 will be disrupted. It might be more evened out than at present, might even be an improvement.
    Won't take 3 years though surely. The M1 widening projects took 12-18 months. This one is bigger but I'd still be surprised if it took longer than 24-30 months.

• Advertisement

spacetweek wrote: »
    Yep. There will be 2 lanes each way kept open through the works and the current pattern whereby the N7 dual C traffic goes fast then suddenly has to slow as 3 lanes go into 2 will be disrupted. It might be more evened out than at present, might even be an improvement.
    Won't take 3 years though surely. The M1 widening projects took 12-18 months. This one is bigger but I'd still be surprised if it took longer than 24-30 months.
    18 months is what's planned I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭ando

Has this started today? Works between J10 and J11

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JeffK88

Sounds like it. Some sort of pre works.Not much information on this but does give you how long it will take and distance the work is over.

http://kildare.ie/CountyCouncil/PressReleasesAdverts/RoadWorksSpeedLimitNRO62016-M7.html

Tender went out this morning for archaelogical services relating to the scheme:

https://irl.eu-supply.com/app/rfq/rwlentrance_s.asp?PID=100055&PP=ctm/Supplier/publictenders&B=ETENDERS_SIMPLE&PS=1

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Driving back to Dublin from Limerick this evening this section of the M7 had a lane coned off. I thought it was just for routine motorway maintenance but according to the posts above it is actually to do with preliminary work with respect to the widening.

Main Contractor not appointed yet as D&B Tender still at Pre Qualification Stage

Likely to be advance contract of some sort like Archaeology/ Site Clearance or Fencing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭rameire

I wouldn't be surprised if they were resurfacing the lanes only to dig them up in two years

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 28,755 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

rameire wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised if they were resurfacing the lanes only to dig them up in two years

The stretch of the right-lane they previously resurfaced just after the Carlow exit is shockingly poor. Uneven to the point of lumpy.

Digging that up and starting over would be no harm.

Traffic on the northbound carraigeway from the M9 merge to the Naas South exit has been shifted further to the right, and the lanes appear to have been narrowed with new temporary markings down. This was Wednesday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

marno21 wrote: »
    Traffic on the northbound carraigeway from the M9 merge to the Naas South exit has been shifted further to the right, and the lanes appear to have been narrowed with new temporary markings down. This was Wednesday.

Yes in place tonight when I went through. traffic was heavy so couldn't look around to see what was going on but as I went south this am I could see road planning equipment in the northbound lanes.

Advertisement