Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M7 - Naas/Newbridge Bypass Upgrade [Junction 9a now open]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭rameire

they have started to scrape up at least a foot in depth of road from the hard shoulder on the northern carriageway.

so it looks like a resurface of some sort.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭gilly0512

rameire wrote: »
    they have started to scrape up at least a foot in depth of road from the hard shoulder on the northern carriageway.

so it looks like a resurface of some sort.

Would they really resurface a road that is going to be dug up over the next three years, you would have to think not, but then again this is Ireland, and nothing would surprise me.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Deedsie wrote: »
    The authorities taking the precaution to resurface a section of road to avoid any accidents prior to or during the upgrade project. Excellent road maintenance and management. Do you really think this would only happen in Ireland?

The rest of the world must have a laissez-faire attitude to road safety.
    The upgrade of the road is scheduled to begin in 10 months time. I've never experienced any issues with this stretch of road.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Average speed through the 60kmh section was about 85kmh given my experience the other night.

I kept to the average speed as it would have been more dangerous to go 60kmh given that would have caused stupid overtaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Average speed through the 60kmh section was about 85kmh given my experience the other night.

I kept to the average speed as it would have been more dangerous to go 60kmh given that would have caused stupid overtaking.

misc025.gif

You're nicked mate! :p

• Advertisement

just passing this morning. East Bound between Jn11 and jn10,
    it looks like two new sets of traffic cameras have been installed,

and to be honest they look more like average speed cameras.

just passing this morning. East Bound between Jn11 and jn10,
    it looks like two new sets of traffic cameras have been installed,

and to be honest they look more like average speed cameras.
    Are they like this?
    average%20speed%20camera.jpg

Nope. Each lane only has one camera without the fancy side packages.
    But the cameras look snazzy. Which got me thinking they were average speed cameras.

For average speed cameras to work there must be a pair if them spaced a few hundred metres apart to measure entry & exit time for a specific length of road.
    If they are average speed cameras, then hopefully there will be warning signs as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,822 ✭✭✭Alkers

They are strengthening the hard shoulder to allow it to be trafficked in advanced of widening works taking place further down the line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

Simona1986 wrote: »
    They are strengthening the hard shoulder to allow it to be trafficked in advanced of widening works taking place further down the line.

Correct - hard shoulder is not made to same strength as main lanes (probably is these days), so strengthening is required to allow constant traffic for a long period to use it.

I notice plenty of breakdown areas also being built.

As for cameras - legislation for av speed cameras was passed recently, so I suspect we'll see a few zones introduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭pad199207

It's going to be a huge project. Adding in new lanes, installing a new junction and rearranging another junction. While keeping the second busiest road in the country moving!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

pad199207 wrote: »
    It's going to be a huge project. Adding in new lanes, installing a new junction and rearranging another junction. While keeping the second busiest road in the country moving!
    Will be great to see when done though. The widening is probably the element of this project that will relieve the least congestion. The new junction and the rearranging of J10 will be huge especially with the expansion of Millenium Park. And of course the Sallins BP

Jn 11 is for the m9.

Jn 10 is newhall naas.

Patww79 wrote: »
    J10 is the Newhall/Naas South interchange, J11 is the M9 one. There are no alterations being made to the M9 interchange.

The current J10 will be shut and it will be moved slightly further south to where the old N7/Naas-Newbridge DC crosses over the M7. I don't think detailed design has been done yet, or hasn't been made public yet anyway

Patww79 wrote: »
    A lot of people using the junction for Newbridge getting stuck in all the traffic around J10's business park etc. before they actually get onto the Newbridge Road.

Now the new J10 will give direct access to the R445/Newbridge Road, so it will sort that issue out. Only thing we have to wait and find out exactly how they will make a mess of the new junction.

find two docs attached.

one is a screenshot of an eis showing some details of the new jn10
    the pdf is an eis overview of the whole road.

392351.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Where is Osberstown interchange in that PDF?

spacetweek wrote: »
    Where is Osberstown interchange in that PDF?

That's a totally separate project that is still in consultation.

The preferred route and location is closer to the Naas Ball - if you drive through millenium park, it will be the at the second roundabout after coming from the monread road and will form part of the Sallins ByPass project.

Sallins bypass and osberstown interchange will be in sheet 6 on the overview page which is page 7 in the doc.
    I have seen the preferred design and will upload later if i can find it again.

They would want to be progressing with J9A fairly lively too. Millenium Park and Kerry especially need the relief.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

VincePP wrote: »
    That's a totally separate project that is still in consultation.

Ok but I'm pretty sure that both will ultimately be constructed at the same time.

Sallins bypass and osberstown interchange will be in sheet 6 on the overview page which is page 7 in the doc.
    I have seen the preferred design and will upload later if i can find it again.

here's the preferred layout

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Jayuu

Just looking at that image for the new junction, is it just me or does the southbound sliproad for traffic coming off to the new roundabout seem quite short given that the same volume of traffic will be coming off here?

Also, although it doesn't seem clear from the image, I assume that traffic coming off but then heading for Naas (i.e. going back to the Bundle of Sticks roundabout) doesn't actually have to go on to the new roundabout.

Thankfully I see the Sallins bypass and new Osberstown junction are in there too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,856 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Jayuu wrote: »
    Just looking at that image for the new junction, is it just me or does the southbound sliproad for traffic coming off to the new roundabout seem quite short given that the same volume of traffic will be coming off here?

Also, although it doesn't seem clear from the image, I assume that traffic coming off but then heading for Naas (i.e. going back to the Bundle of Sticks roundabout) doesn't actually have to go on to the new roundabout.
    is it though ?
    I think those maps are a 1km grid, meaning that the slip road is approx 500m which is plenty long to stack up the traffic.

on a tangent, was chatting to a lad at work about how you are more likely to get killed on the roads than by a terrorist, and he told me that he was coming off at a busy junction on the motorway outside Munich where the Microsoft HQ is towards the airport, and the traffic was backed up onto the slip road on the motorway, when a truck jacknifed after being cutup by a jeep looking to exit, and took out a heap of cars parked on the slip looking to get off, killing a family in one of them
    He was only a couple of cars in front of the last car to be crushed by the truck.
    (twice similar incidents have happened in Bavaria in the past month, only at the end of a normal traffic jam, and again 3 or 4 killed at a time, crushed by a truck)

So, anyhow, 500m might well be long enough to keep the cars off the mainline but it does leave cars in a vulnerable positon with cars and trucks zooming by at a differential speed of 100kmh.

Advertisement