Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M7 - Naas/Newbridge Bypass Upgrade [Junction 9a now open]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Eoghanj wrote: »
    I heard him on Newstalk this morning, and he was trying to say the three lanes northbound are going to open on Friday, but he was getting his directions mixed up. Not great for a spokesperson to get the basic information wrong.

The good news is that all three lanes in both directions will be open from Friday morning. That will just leave verge and merges to be completed - which should be done by mid September, and speed limit will then go to 120

I heard someone from KCC on the SOR programme this morning saying that speed restrictions will be still in place until early next year

• Registered Users Posts: 19,401 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Darc19 wrote: »
    Two minor crashes. One couldn't be arsed pulling cars into hard shoulder. (near m9 Junction) and waited until gardai arrived and pushed them in.

Other at on slip from jct 10. Simply not paying attention it seems, but they pulled the cars in.

But rubber neckers causing jams.

Was it the crashes that caused the delays really? Not just the volume ( I sincerely hope).

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Pablod

road_high wrote: »
    Was it the crashes that caused the delays really? Not just the volume ( I sincerely hope).

I'd guess (and also hoping) that it was just the crashes..

I did a google map plan around 5.00 to 5.30pm of trip from work to home and it was saying much quicker than a normal Friday, so yes hoping it was just crashes...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,746 ✭✭✭degsie

dot dot dot

Unfortunately, extra lanes can't cure stupid!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Tandey

I drive the full route daily. It’s absolutely shocking how little the left lane is used by motorists especially noticeable when traffic is light to moderate. It’s almost empty at times.

Passed a crash today around 2:30pm. Two cars involved as far as I saw Looked like woman driver was receiving medical attention in driver seat. Must have got a tip from behind. Traffic was bumper to bumper for about 15mins leading up to it but flew once passed incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

Crossed the Caragh rd bridge at 5pm (ish) and traffic was flowing really well underneath. Waze was showing a clear enough run through too.

No doubt the extra lane has made a big difference. Traffic in Naas flowing better too as people are no long jumping off at kill, Johnstown and Naas to rat run.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭dubred

New speed limits in place from today:

http://www.kildare.ie/CountyCouncil/PressReleasesAdverts/TempRoadWorksSpeedLimitOrderM9M7N7.html

looks like anything that was 60 is now 80.
    This Road Works Speed Limit Order will apply from Saturday, 3 August 2019 to Monday, 30 September 2019

• Registered Users Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭kravmaga

I also was stationary on the M7 todaythis afternoon also...4th lane already needed?

And then coming off at J10 and queue again for the BoS roundabout. Can we ever get anything right?? I know eventually, the new roundabout will be open, but for now???

Edit: Just seen the post about a crash SB on the M7. When I passed there was no indication that there had been an accident. Also, I would say that the stationary was nothing like before J9 -J10 went to 3 lanes.

In fairness its the August bank holiday week-END, the traffic on the M50 was extremely busy, which in turn would have an affect on the M7.

There was a number of road traffic collisions yesterday also which did not help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Tandey wrote: »
    I drive the full route daily. It’s absolutely shocking how little the left lane is used by motorists especially noticeable when traffic is light to moderate. It’s almost empty at times.

Yes, it's quite incredible at times. Even yesterday, Bank Holiday Monday traffic was mostly on the two outer lanes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭mosesgun

Left work in Baldonnell at 5:30pm today. During the roadworks, it has been taking me anywhere between 45 minutes to an hour to get to the Carlow M9 turnoff. Most days close to an hour. Anyway, this evening, I gripped the steering wheel tight, gritted my teeth and prayed to god that things would be different now that the 3 lanes are open. Anyway, I made it to the M9 junction in 25 minutes, without having to stop even once!! Got home in 1 hour 8 minutes. My commute home to south carlow has been taking 1 hr 40 ish depending on the day. I'm just hoping this isn't a once off. I was genuinely expecting to be complaining tonight but I'm delighted with that. Travelling to Dublin this morning was also pretty painless except the traffic backed up at Rathcoole as there had been an accident at Newlands cross. Anyway, lets see what tomorrow brings.

ollaetta wrote: »
    Yes, it's quite incredible at times. Even yesterday, Bank Holiday Monday traffic was mostly on the two outer lanes.

There’s even been quite an extensive media campaign for donkeys to educate them on how to use a bloody road correctly. I think the stick approach will have to come in now, fines and prosecutions for lane obstruction and incorrect lane use

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Well, at least they are getting better at opening different elements of large road projects relatively close together time wise.

I remember when they opened the M7 Newbridge by-pass (a full 10 years after the Naas by-pass) in June 1993. The M9 Kilcullen spur - part of the same project - didn’t open until October 1994.

Crews seem to have diverted back to J9a as the 3 lanes have opened. Lot of progress in a short time. Ramp to millennium park ring road is being worked on (finally) and curving currently going into place. So long as the black sand arrives in time 😀😀

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Eoghanj

Great to see three lanes open in both directions. Makes a huge difference to my commute from Carlow to Dublin. Will be very happy when the merge works are completed, as there is still a bit of a delay here in both directions, with just one lane open at the junctions. Anyone know when merge works are due to be completed?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭VR6

There’s even been quite an extensive media campaign for donkeys to educate them on how to use a bloody road correctly. I think the stick approach will have to come in now, fines and prosecutions for lane obstruction and incorrect lane use

Agree totally. The inside lane is the safest place there is on 6 lane Irish motorways. You could have a picnic there, play football, take a snooze and then drive on without any fear of being knocked down. Middle lane hogging is the norm. Often taxi drivers are the worst offenders.
    Overtaking lane hoggers are equally annoying. It's down to ignorance of the rules and lack of instruction.

Seems like there is a brain deposit box at the start of every 3-lane roadway where a lot of drivers willingly leave their grey matter and engage in brainless middle lane hogging. It's stupid beyond stupid.

Eoghanj wrote: »
    Great to see three lanes open in both directions. Makes a huge difference to my commute from Carlow to Dublin. Will be very happy when the merge works are completed, as there is still a bit of a delay here in both directions, with just one lane open at the junctions. Anyone know when merge works are due to be completed?

The M9 junction must be problematic at rush hours. I’ve been purposely avoiding it tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Dublin City FM does an excellent (mostly) traffic programme each weekday morning and evening. It would be nice if every now and then they reminded people about how to drive on motorways.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,760 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Again..... If someone is hogging the middle lane and obstructing you, just overtake in lane 3.

If they're going faster than you in either lane 2 or 3 then you're not affected anyway. Although there's a lot of drivers who drive at significantly slower speeds anyway for no reason.

I think far too many people here fancy themselves part of the traffic corps - but even they are among the worst offenders too - or have issues with being overtaken themselves.

Just drive on, don't block faster traffic, and don't worry about what others are at as long as they're not acting the muppet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

_Kaiser_ wrote:
    Just drive on, don't block faster traffic, and don't worry about what others are at as long as they're not acting the muppet.

Preventing a motorway from being used properly is acting the muppet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

First Up wrote: »
    Dublin City FM does an excellent (mostly) traffic programme each weekday morning and evening. It would be nice if every now and then they reminded people about how to drive on motorways.

Why? FFS, anyone driving on a M/way. they had to pass a driving test. Part of that is driving correctly, including lane discipline. Put thesehoggerson an autobahn, they wouldn’t last 5 minutes.

And it doesn’t just pertain to 3 lane M/ways. I was driving on the M4 this morning, and there was a car doing 80kph in the outside lane...infuriating.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,451 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod: Can we drop this lane misuse and just appreciate that there are now three lanes and less congestion. Driving behaviour is for the motoring forum, not here (unless it is specific to the M7).

Thank you.

Posts deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Eoghanj

The M9 junction must be problematic at rush hours. I’ve been purposely avoiding it tbh

The M9 junctions both ways are not bad at the moment - just some congestion as there is one lane. No need to avoid athem. I am hoping the merge works will be complete before the end of august though, as it will be a different then when the schools are back.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭MYSTICA1

Google maps does not have the new off-ramp for junction 10 Eastbound. Anyone know how frequently they update their maps?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,760 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

MYSTICA1 wrote: »
    Google maps does not have the new off-ramp for junction 10 Eastbound. Anyone know how frequently they update their maps?

They were pretty quick with the M11 changes once it went live, so I'd say they'll wait until everything bar the Sallins bypass is done and open before they update.

MYSTICA1 wrote: »

Waze is 100% up to date and is updated by a global team of map updating volunteers. We overlay plans to create new junctions and roads in advance and open as per schedules as released. This is how J9a has appeared on Waze and Google maps and how J10 has been almost instantly reflecting new/closed ramps. As Google owns Waze, the Waze updates filter into Google maps over time. I would imagine they use GPS tracks to confirm updates but Waze is ALWAYS more up to date.

Also, Waze displays road average speeds when congested and current speed limits at all times onscreen. Also Waze allows for realtime reporting by users so speed vans, broken down (or stopped) vehicles and roadworks are nearly always shown. Finally Waze has realtime traffic info coming back from all users but where no "Wazers" are on a road it swaps back to Google traffic info. Basically, best of 2 worlds.

Hope this helps...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,619 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

How does Waze alert for speed vans, is there an audible alert from the app or just a icon on the screen? Could be really handy if audible, otherwise you might miss an icon.

Also do the Gardai still release the locations of them? Thought I heard that when they were first introduced

Muahahaha wrote: »
    How does Waze alert for speed vans, is there an audible alert from the app or just a icon on the screen? Could be really handy if audible, otherwise you might miss an icon.

Also do the Gardai still release the locations of them? Thought I heard that when they were first introduced

There is onscreen notification icon to report a speed van (user reported). This then shared with any following driver to tap the screen to say still present or gone. Same process for all feedback (broekn down vehicles, temp roadworks, weather events etc etc etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

The BIG test.

Next Sunday - most of Tipperary and Kilkenny will be deserting their driveways and heading up the M7 and M9 to croke Park.

Even at three lanes you have to expect slow moving traffic as the volume will be substantial, but how slow is the question.

I wonder if the gardai will be proactive and have a few high profile patrols to ensure good behavior by motorists esp at the merge.

Advertisement