Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M7 - Naas/Newbridge Bypass Upgrade [Junction 9a now open]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

Apathy is a very lazy and dangerous thing.
    ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Tomrota

Why people get wound up about the middle lane hoggers is beyond me.
    Just let them off.
    I detest being a passenger in a middle lane hoggers car mostly always keep my mouth shut.
    Lad I carpool with is one.
    He always mouths off about being passed on the the left:confused:
    I always say the same thing but he carries on regardless.
    If your getting passed on the left then you are in the wrong lane.
    I sit in the left on the m9,n7 and cruise while being courteous to mergers ,
    They merge and go straight to the middle :rolleyes:

Yup, even if the N7 is completely empty at night, most people merge straight to the middle. I think people truly believe the left lane is only for merging onto or off the motorway like the auxiliary lane on the M50.

Only education and fines will stop this behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,791 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I drove the m50 last Thursday night about 9p.m. Three separate unmarked cars had pulled in people (don't know why) and another 2 garda bikes were on the hard shoulder with the lights on observing traffic (about 10kms apart).
    I sat in the left most lane with the cruise control on for 90% of my journey (tallaght exit to airport). Watched drivers merge from slips and move straight to the middle or far right lane.

Now I'm not sure what the large garda presence was for but wouldn't it be great for them to do a blitz on middle lane drivers for a month. A few hundred people fined and penalty points issued might start to drive home the point.

LED sign on the back of garda cars with the message "stay left...No sitting in middle lane, it's illegal unless overtaking"

• Registered Users Posts: 28,760 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Here's the quetion I have for the "damn middle lane hoggers!" brigade... what's it to you?

Is it that they're in your way? Just overtake them! If they're not, then what do you care, unless it's out of some sense of road vigilantism?

But for the sake of argument... If everyone used lane 1 on the N7/M50, then you'd have a massive stream of traffic limited to the speed of the slowest car (which can be significant). So people would be constantly weaving in and out of lanes. Given many people seem incapable of doing 120 when there's no reason not to, that's a lot of weaving! That's better is it? Plus then you'll have 2 lanes that aren't being used to full capacity as well, rather than just one.

"Keep left" works on 2-lane motorways outside of Dublin, or at off-peak times. But at peak commuting hours, all 2/3 lanes become effectively driving lanes and so should be treated accordingly.

Myself I use lane 1 on quieter stretches or at night.. but during peak, or where exits/merges are close together (like exits 7-11 on the M50), I stay in the outside lane to be honest and do a nice brisk pace (or as much as allowed). I don't hold anyone up, I don't have to change lanes unnecessarily until exiting in good time, and it avoids the dawdling, last minute merges at significantly less than mainline traffic, and the dives for the exits at the last moment.

This obsession with "middle lane hoggers" is a bit ridiculous.. if you are moving faster then just pass them on the outside (not the inside lane/undertaking - that will only end in tears when someone pulls over on top of you to get to an exit) and get on with your day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,746 ✭✭✭degsie

Lane 1 = express lane (seeing that hardly anyone uses it!)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,985 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

mfceiling wrote: »
    LED sign on the back of garda cars with the message "stay left...No sitting in middle lane, it's illegal unless overtaking"

The garda car would need to be in the left lane (to avoid setting the wrong example) - which would mean motorists in the middle and right lanes probably wouldn't see it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

Took a few pics down by the canal today. No sign of progress on the canal over pass from the time the bridge supports were put in place but a lot of earthwork has been done to get the banking in place.

Lots to do....

Next to Canal looking across to Sallins side
    486800.jpg
    486801.jpg
    486802.jpg

Further in the road... Looking at the Osberstown Road overpass (construction underway but not gone too far)
    486803.jpg

spacetweek wrote: »
    The garda car would need to be in the left lane (to avoid setting the wrong example) - which would mean motorists in the middle and right lanes probably wouldn't see it :)

Pull in front of the cars that are "hogging" the middle lane.

Notification of Traffic Management Works

Temporary off-peak (overnight)

Junction 10 (Naas South) Eastbound on-slip closure and diversion

on Wednesday 31 July 2019

(M7 Naas Newbridge By-Pass Upgrade Scheme )

The Eastbound on-slip at Junction 10 (Naas South) will be closed overnight, between 22.00 – 05.00hrs, tomorrow night, Wednesday 31 July 2019.

Fully signed diversion routes will be in place during this closure.

The closure is necessary in order to carry out essential works as part of the development of the M7 Upgrade works.

Kildare County Council regrets any inconvenience caused to the public.

mfceiling wrote: »
    Pull in front of the cars that are "hogging" the middle lane.

They would be better off using the "first overtaking lane" (lane 2) aka the middle lane and going up behind the lane hoggers and giving them a blast of blues and twos.

That'll shift them! :)

• Advertisement

Here is an interesting one... I've heard that the delay tying the new bridge (J9a) to to ramps at the side is due to a delayed delivery of black sand. Apparently a special grade of sand is required in this piece of work due to its It's strengthening properties.

Problem is..... there is a massive shortage and leadtimes have gone crazy, on sand in general!
    Currently expected on site mid August to allow early September opening of J9a interchange.

As always, I expect ppl to call bs here but I'm just sharing what I'm hearing.

A quick Google does seem to back up the idea that sand availability is a real issue in general right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

_Kaiser_ wrote:
    Myself I use lane 1 on quieter stretches or at night.. but during peak, or where exits/merges are close together (like exits 7-11 on the M50), I stay in the outside lane to be honest and do a nice brisk pace (or as much as allowed). I don't hold anyone up, I don't have to change lanes unnecessarily until exiting in good time, and it avoids the dawdling, last minute merges at significantly less than mainline traffic, and the dives for the exits at the last moment.

If lane 3 is moving faster than 1 or 2, then you are entitled to be in it. At busy times lane1 is often blocked by cars queuing to exit and lane 2 can be blocked by cars that should be in lane 1 but who are trying to jump the exit queue.

That's fine but sitting in lane 2 in normal (free flowing) conditions effectively takes that lane out of use for its intended purpose. It defeats the whole point of a 3 lane motorway and creates accident risk by forcing cars to use lanes they shouldn't be in.

People who know how motorways are supposed to work understand this. Unfortunately many don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,760 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

First Up wrote: »
    If lane 3 is moving faster than 1 or 2, then you are entitled to be in it. At busy times lane1 is often blocked by cars queuing to exit and lane 2 can be blocked by cars that should be in lane 1 but who are trying to jump the exit queue.

That's fine but sitting in lane 2 in normal (free flowing) conditions effectively takes that lane out of use for its intended purpose. It defeats the whole point of a 3 lane motorway and creates accident risk by forcing cars to use lanes they shouldn't be in.

People who know how motorways are supposed to work understand this. Unfortunately many don't.

Agreed, but in my experience of many years on the N7 and M50, the only time there's any point of driving in lane 1 if you want to make decent progress - without having to constantly move out of it to overtake - is late at night or early morning.

These are the 2 busiest roads in the country, and the volume of traffic, close proximity of several of the exits, plus chancers trying to skip queues or lane weaving to get a car length ahead, mean that it's quicker, and less stressful to just cruise along at the best speed in the outer lane and leave them all to it.

But as I said.. Outside of Dublin or at quieter times, absolutely should people be in lane 1 unless overtaking... And that includes AGS as they're usually the biggest offenders (yea yea, exempt from the traffic laws but internal policy says they should still abide by them as much as possible).

_Kaiser_ wrote:
    These are the 2 busiest roads in the country, and the volume of traffic, close proximity of several of the exits, plus chancers trying to skip queues or lane weaving to get a car length ahead, mean that it's quicker, and less stressful to just cruise along at the best speed in the outer lane and leave them all to it.

Which of course also means you are risking collisions with cars moving to the third lane trying to get past the middle lane hoggers. I've not seen any statistics on it, but anecdotally, a lot of traffic reports about accidents on the M50 mention the outer lane. I wonder why?

There are times on the M50 and especially the M7 when the safest thing is to stay in lane 1 and undertake. The twerp in lane 2 won't notice and has no plans to join lane 1 anyway.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,451 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod: I know that three lanes are new on this bit of motorway, and that Irish drivers are not used to them yet, but this thread is about the provision of three lanes, not about their use by ignorant, arrogant, selfish, etc. drivers who decide that they only need to use one lane - the middle one.

So no more talk of driver behaviour, unless it is about the M7 three lane project that is the subject of this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Pablod

Drove eastbound/inbound this morning, looked like a good bit of progress made on inside lane and shoulder between JN11 & JN10,
    certainly noticed more tarmac laid and good bit of lane painting done too, still a bit to go on the merge, but great to see progress in last 24hrs.

So no more talk of driver behaviour, unless it is about the M7 three lane project that is the subject of this thread.

Fair enough. The main benefit of the new lane on the M7 is allowing traffic to get past the large number of trucks using the road. As those trucks will take up most of lane1, it means lanes 2 and 3 will be used for cars some of which will be moving faster than others.

I would therefore expect the middle lane to be used (legitimately) more than usual.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/upgraded-m7-to-fully-open-on-friday-940615.html

"We have three lanes open at the moment from Johnstown down as far as Naas south, and the good thing is that all things going to plan, this Friday morning, the three lanes will be opened the entire length from Junction 8 Johnstown right down to the merge between the M9 and M7," he said.

He's about a week behind with his info too :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Eoghanj

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/upgraded-m7-to-fully-open-on-friday-940615.html

"We have three lanes open at the moment from Johnstown down as far as Naas south, and the good thing is that all things going to plan, this Friday morning, the three lanes will be opened the entire length from Junction 8 Johnstown right down to the merge between the M9 and M7," he said.

He's about a week behind with his info too :rolleyes:

I heard him on Newstalk this morning, and he was trying to say the three lanes northbound are going to open on Friday, but he was getting his directions mixed up. Not great for a spokesperson to get the basic information wrong.

The good news is that all three lanes in both directions will be open from Friday morning. That will just leave verge and merges to be completed - which should be done by mid September, and speed limit will then go to 120

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Well done to the contractors, this thread has been highly critical of them at times and I myself was annoyed when they mentioned April as the date of opening the 3 lanes.

That said, I have to say wow. The difference in my commute is huge, 50 mins to work now a consistent 40mins. Drive home is the real win, it’s been anywhere from 50min to 1hr 10mins now also a consistent 40mins.

Understand the true stress test is not until we have the full ‘back to normal’ September flow however, we all know that Fridays Westbound always see a very heavy flow and last Friday the road was clear all rush hour. I was checking Google maps from 3:30pm until I drove home at 6 and glided down the N7.

It appears the fundamental issue of 3 lanes to 2 lanes was the majority of the majority of the problem. Driver behavior, a discussion for another day.

This is a fantastic upgrade for us weary commuters, roll on the 4 lane works in 2030.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Did the three lanes open this morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

• Registered Users Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭pad199207

Stuck in the a traffic jam on it now southbound and the 3 lanes are opened. Can it handle bank holiday traffic?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,729 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

pad199207 wrote: »
    Stuck in the a traffic jam on it now southbound and the 3 lanes are opened. Can it handle bank holiday traffic?

Google maps is reporting a crash after junction 10.

487058.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 8,746 ✭✭✭degsie

Google maps showing a very, very, very, very dark red southbound around Naas.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Phil_the_Dub

I'd say more then likely the 3 lanes can't handle spanners driving and crashing on it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭harr

Huge delays this evening I got off at Naas ...its bumper to bumper all because some irish drivers haven’t a clue how to drive on motorways.
    New 3 lane motorway and already it’s a car park.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Two minor crashes. One couldn't be arsed pulling cars into hard shoulder. (near m9 Junction) and waited until gardai arrived and pushed them in.

Other at on slip from jct 10. Simply not paying attention it seems, but they pulled the cars in.

But rubber neckers causing jams.

It'll be the same most days....Drive in the far right lane until you're 8 metres from the N9 junction....Cut across everyone because you're more important than every other person on the road. So what if people have to jam on their brakes and maybe cause an accident. You obviously couldn't have merged 2kms before that like a normal person because you're brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

pad199207 wrote: »

I also was stationary on the M7 todaythis afternoon also...4th lane already needed?

And then coming off at J10 and queue again for the BoS roundabout. Can we ever get anything right?? I know eventually, the new roundabout will be open, but for now???

Edit: Just seen the post about a crash SB on the M7. When I passed there was no indication that there had been an accident. Also, I would say that the stationary was nothing like before J9 -J10 went to 3 lanes.

Advertisement