Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weekly Z movie

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Okay just watched it. The ending was extremely dissatisfying...
    Won't ruin it for anyone else.

Whilst watching the movie I kept asking myself why am I watching this, its so bad.
    But towards the end of it, I really got into it and somehow the rest of the movie doesn't seem so bad now.

I thought it was hilarious how when Tom and Judy's body's were in the exploded truck, the zombies all lined up one by one to walk up to the truck and take themselves a piece of the bodies :P

Also laughed when he spilled the petrol all over the truck.

Barbra = Stupid Betch. I thought Ben punching her was very extreme at the start of the movie, but I now realise he should have just shot her in the head there and then. She was also a horrific actress, I can understand the editing not being so hot because of how old it is, but there is no excuse for acting that bad.

And if I wasn't told before watching it that the zombies were zombies, I would have just thought they were drunken homeless men. For the first half of the movie at least.
    But the variety of costumes the zombies wore was great, I saw one zombie wearing a tunic!

Overall I enjoyed it, glad I watched it, it was my first time watching it.

Looking forward to the next movie :)

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭ChaseThisLight

ladypip wrote: »
    Im going to disagree with Degrassinoel and Chasethislight and say I like the character of Barbra, well more her place in the film rather than the actual character herself. I think its highly likely that on z day you would come across someone who has gone catatonic, and have to deal with them. Although I would have liked to slap her a few times.

That's part of why I hated her, the fact that there is bound to be someone like that when it happens, and they'll be useless. Too much of a risk.
    I feel the middle of the film is a bit slow with the repetitive upstairs/downstairs argument.

+1
    I also dislike how slow everything is the zeds, the people, the violence and the vehicles. Why is everything SO slow!!

Yeah! Even when Ben was killing the zombies, he moved like he was stuck in quicksand. Looked very awkward and unrealistic.

I thought it was hilarious how when Tom and Judy's body's were in the exploded truck, the zombies all lined up one by one to walk up to the truck and take themselves a piece of the bodies :P

That was hilarious, all the zeds got a cooked meal! Also, and this really has nothing to do with anything, but since you brought Tom up, I couldn't stop giggling at how small Tom was compared to Ben; nowadays, they make actors stand on stuff to make size not so noticeable.
    Also laughed when he spilled the petrol all over the truck.

Not only that, but who the hell puts fire right next to the truck where you're going to gas it up? Oh yeah, Ben.
    And if I wasn't told before watching it that the zombies were zombies, I would have just thought they were drunken homeless men. For the first half of the movie at least.

Yeah, I thought that as well; really shows how things have changed since then. Makes you think, "People were scared of that? Really?"
    But the variety of costumes the zombies wore was great, I saw one zombie wearing a tunic!

Did you see the dude in the toga?

Did anyone watch the color version? I almost picked it up, but went with the original black and white instead.

Gah, toga. Thats what I meant to say :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭ladypip

Gah, toga. Thats what I meant to say :pac:
    Toga toga toga!!!!

Did anyone else notice the sound effect when the naked woman walked by?, hard to discribe that wierd spacey sound. Hilarious!!.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,734 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

This week's Z movie!

28 Days Later

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0289043/

And here's a trailer to whet your appetites.

Bon Appetite!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭DakotaYoda

Bah - sorry I missed the first week's project. Too much work. I should be able to make the next one!

Good call Degrassinoel!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Finished watching it for easily the 10th time, such a good movie. Love the part when the dad gets infected when a drop of blood gets in his eye from the crow!

Cillian Murphy is a class act. 8.5/10 for me.

This is another one of those movies that I've heard so much about, but never actually watched. Yes, I am ashamed :(

Tried twice during the weekend to watch it, but was forced to stop 20mins in because of people who didn't like that sort of stuff walking into the room...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

This is another one of those movies that I've heard so much about, but never actually watched. Yes, I am ashamed :(

Tried twice during the weekend to watch it, but was forced to stop 20mins in because of people who didn't like that sort of stuff walking into the room...

Id advise to watch it asap, that and 28 weeks later for me are two quality films! Defo rank highly!

• Advertisement

ASOT wrote: »
    Id advise to watch it asap, that and 28 weeks later for me are two quality films! Defo rank highly!

Just watched it there, was very enjoyable. I've already seen 28 Weeks later, just haven't seen this one.

I'll write more on what I thought of it tomorrow, but its late now and I have school in the morning... :(

Quick question though, I was wondering this the whole way through the movie.
    Since the infected aren't actually zombies, and are just filled with the "rage" disease, what were their actual goals when they got a person? Seems they never actually killed anyone otherwise the infection would die out very fast, and they didn't eat them either, its as if they just took one bite and then backed away.

If I remember correctly the Rage Virus massively jacks up aggressiveness and shuts off other parts of the brain that would regulate such things. They kill to kill. Some may be for sustenance but that is accidental. Really they are just designed to kill and spread the virus.

Since the infected aren't actually zombies

They're the first of what is classified as "living zombies", same as in Zombieland.
    DakotaYoda wrote: »
    If I remember correctly the Rage Virus massively jacks up aggressiveness and shuts off other parts of the brain that would regulate such things. They kill to kill. Some may be for sustenance but that is accidental. Really they are just designed to kill and spread the virus.

That's it exactly; they have only an overwhelming urge to kill, for no other reason than killing.

Just watched this recently, and since I'm home today with nothing to do, I'm going to watch it again, because it truly is a great movie. Love Cillian Murphy, and the female lead is, IMO, awesome. My fave scene with her is at Jim's house, when the guy they are with gets infected and she doesn't hesitate, she just does what needs to be done to survive.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Easily in my top ten movies. I'd often have it on in the back ground. The tone and mood is just right. With it being a British movie it just seems more gritty.

I love the part when they enter the underground tunnel and Jim says," no.no, no. See, this is a really **** idea. You know why? Because it is really obviously a **** idea."

Great reference to when you watch "horror" movies and think the same thing. :D

I preferred it to the sequel.

Watched it last night for the first time in a long time.

Some spoilers ahead if you plan on seeing it for the first time.

Jim says "HELLO" far too often! ..but he does manage to say it with a lot of different emotions all through the film. From a desperately panicced loneliness to an aggressive challenge. To me that one word, often spoken meant a lot more than most of the dialogue in the film which was also quite good.
    The scene where Selina's friend spoke about escaping from a station where he climbed over people onto a kiosk was brilliant.

The two irish heavyweight actors, Cillian Murphy and Brendan Gleeson stole the show from the rest of the cast. I was originally devastated by Gleeson's character getting infected, and was again last night. He played a very stoic role.

In the final half hour, as i was watching i felt that Jim's escape and Sgt.Faro's execution was the last straw of humanity being sapped from the military force.
    Jim's transformation into an uninfected rage driven revenge machine and Selina's callousness dissapating and hesistation in the final moments proved to me that these two characters had more humanity despite everything, than the dozen or so army remenents.

As far as Zombie movies go, on my scale of 10, this one gets an 9.

btw.. the priest in the church near the start when he bursts through the door and you can see a sillouette of him standing in front of Jim, he looks EXACTLY like Father Jack!
    SNF3001TVFX-280_1135172a.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

The one issue I have with it is how did he survive for 28 days without any form of medical attention, surely he'd have died of dehydration after 3 -5 days if he was comatose.

Other than that it was an excellent flm

I think he was on a drip (IV solution) which basiclly keeps long-term coma patients alive. Reason being was the note he found in his parents mentioned him being left to sleep, and never to wake up. To me that would suggest he was in a coma after the operation he got from his bicycle crash.

At the start there are a bunch of tubes, monitors and probably the machine that goes PING! and other paraphenalia around him in what looked like an operating theatre.
    Not a medical expert by any means, but there is a specific name for that drip and i just dont remember it.

I may be wrong, but I think he means at the end, after Jim gets shot and they drive away, it says 28 Days later, and then it shows Selena putting him on a hospital bed trying to revive him..

Not sure myself at that point, without proper medical attention he was pretty much done-for. I suppose it could be possible that his wound/s were bloody enough to look terrible but given the help he had and the hospital facilities he made it.. barely! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

No I meant at the start, I've been on an IV drip a few times in Hospital and AFAIR they changed my IV fairly regularly, more than once a day.

also the machine that goes Ping wouldnt be doing much without electricity

• Advertisement

didnt know it did anything other than go PING when the hospital adminstrator was around tbh :D

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Surly that's not the most out of place thing?

The empty streets of a city with 10 million inhabitants, where are all the bodies, how come the streets aren't completely congested with abandoned cars etc.

Best not to think too much when watching movies :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

I've just realised that they must have ripped off the walking dead for the start of 28 days later. Too similar to be coincidental...?

sweetie wrote: »
    I've just realised that they must have ripped off the walking dead for the start of 28 days later. Too similar to be coincidental...?

From what I've read and remember - they were created/written before either was released. They've caught a lot of grief about it but it boils down to the fact that neither was released to steal from.

sweetie wrote: »

Walking Dead comics came out a year later than the movie so possibly the other way around, although I say they already had a lot of the comics written by the time the first one was published.

In all honesty though, it isn't a very hard to think of scenario.
    I was trying to think of another way someone could be so oblivious to a zombie infection, whilst still remaining in a location infected.
    Might just be me not being very creative, but I couldn't think of any other scenario other than waking up in a hospital.

DakotaYoda wrote: »
    From what I've read and remember - they were created/written before either was released. They've caught a lot of grief about it but it boils down to the fact that neither was released to steal from.

Yep. According to an interview Kirkman did with Entertainment Weekly, the first issue of The Walking Dead was written before 28 Days Later was released:
    RK: No. Welcome to my life seven years ago. It was complete coincidence. I saw 28 Days Later shortly before the first issue of Walking Dead was released. That first issue came out in October of 2003 and 28 Days Later was released in the States in June of 2003. So we were working on our second issue by the time I saw it. It was going to be a matter of somehow trying to restage the entire first issue, because it was a very similar coma opening. I made a decision—which I pretty much regret at this point—I said, “You know what? It’s so different [from that point on], I will probably never hear anything about this.” And I was wrong.

In all honesty though, it isn't a very hard to think of scenario.
    I was trying to think of another way someone could be so oblivious to a zombie infection, whilst still remaining in a location infected.
    Might just be me not being very creative, but I couldn't think of any other scenario other than waking up in a hospital.

This is my thinking as well...how can you possibly explain a person having no idea that the world has gone to shit? Put them in a coma.

So, for me, I never really saw the similarity as a rip off at all.

Watched it lastnight, anyone else find the young girl really annoying? I think the part where he sees the plane flying overhead is the saddest part of any movie ive ever seen it gets me everytime!!. Love the movie. I'm not as anti fast zombies as allot of people on here.

Next up to choose is Tallon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Oh hai :D

Okay, so my film choice is The Horde (2009)

I love this movie so much , let's see what people here think :)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1183276/

The+Horde+Poster.jpg

Interesting choice... :)
    French Zombies! Le brains!

• Advertisement

Tallon wrote: »
    I love this movie so much , let's see what people here think :)

LOVE that you chose this! One of my very fave's.

Advertisement