Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weekly Z movie

Options
  • 05-04-2012 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭

Ok weekly movie is on. Here are the rules:

1. Movie will be posted on a Friday (time not important since we have a week to view it)

2. Ill start and anyone else who wants to pick a weekly movie can throw their name down here ill make a list.

3. Next in line picks next weeks movie.

4. Zombie, Post apocalyptic and infection movies ONLY. (obviously there will be exceptions but try stay in that vein)

5. We will then discuss the movie :) (you don't have to sign up to suggest to take part all are welcome)

List of those picking the movies

1. Ladypip.
    2. Degrassinoel.
    3. Tallon.
    4. ChaseThisLight.
    5. Leeg17.
    6. Asot.
    7. Tzar chasm.
    8. Kash.

Peeps: Movies picked so far

1. Ladypip : Original Night of the living dead.
    2. Degrassinoel. : 28 days Later
    3. Tallon. : La Horde
    4. ChaseThisLight. : Retreat
    5. Asot : Resident evil
    6. Leeg.17
    7. Tzar chasm.
    8. Kash.
    9. Mickeydolenz
    10.Hootananny

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

count me in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Count me in

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭ChaseThisLight

Me, as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

Gowan so :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Im also in :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭ladypip

Week One: My choice for this week is the original and classic Night of the living dead. If you havent seen it in a while or maybe not at all it is a good jump of point for us. Enjoy :):)

Night of the Living Dead Eh?

Awesome! and.. it just so happens to be on google as it's copyright is no longer valid.
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2956447426428748010

No excuses now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

Can I play?

Of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

Always room for one more, right? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

I tried to watch that last night but the sound didn't synch right, i'll give it another go later.;)

Eh can we call dibs on movie suggestions ahead of time? I've just thought of a great one

Ah bad Luck I was also going to watch it lastnight, but ended up with a migraine so myhaps tonight.

I don't think there is any point in calling dibs then people will know what your gonna suggest. Just hold tight and cross your fingers nobody else picks it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

seen it recently.

The whole way through I just keep thinking to myself. Walk away at a fast pace and you'll be grand :p

Watched it last night.

If I were Ben, I'd have thrown Barbra to the zombies and gotten out of there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Count me in, I'll watch the movies and join the discussion but I don't know of that many zombie films so don't put me in the ring for picking one.

watched it last night.

Zombies dont pick up up rocks to smash windows! Lots of little errors like that, though it was Romero's first shot so i can forgive him, plus it was made in 1968!

The house being sieged and the arguments of where to defend, the cellar or the room upstairs was brilliant if not a little repetitive. Weak female lead, possibly scripted that way. As far as the story went, I enjoyed it a lot more than i've enjoyed some more recent Z movies. Romero has a knack of making a great story crap overall but with some hidden treasure in the dialogue.
    Almost everything about the film screams THIS IS SH1T, but it keeps you watching and the conversations are quite realistic given the situation.

If i had to rate it.. and i will!
    out of a posible 10, it gets a solid 7 for being a groundbreaker and opening the worlds eyes to the zombie threat!

watched it last night.

Zombies dont pick up up rocks to smash windows! Lots of little errors like that, though it was Romero's first shot so i can forgive him, plus it was made in 1968!

I caught a lot of errors, too, and then there were little things that were just bad because like you said, it was made in 1968. Like the body at the top of the stairs - that was so laughable, but back then, that would have been enough to scare someone. Didn't help that I watched it with my daughter, who kept making comments, like, "Where's the blood splatter?"
    The house being sieged and the arguments of where to defend, the cellar or the room upstairs was brilliant if not a little repetitive.

Yeah, the repetitiveness of it was a tad annoying - especially when the bald guy would repeat himself, he was great at portraying someone unlikable - but they were good arguments. I really liked Ben, seemed to me to be very level headed and a true survivor.
    Weak female lead, possibly scripted that way.

What a waste of space. I think she was written that way, but oh my god, I wanted to slap her.
    As far as the story went, I enjoyed it a lot more than i've enjoyed some more recent Z movies. Romero has a knack of making a great story crap overall but with some hidden treasure in the dialogue.

Almost everything about the film screams THIS IS SH1T, but it keeps you watching and the conversations are quite realistic given the situation.

Completely agree. It helped, too, that I just read about Romero's idea behind the movie, his vision, and what he was trying to do with it, the original name, why it was changed, etc.
    If i had to rate it.. and i will!
    out of a posible 10, it gets a solid 7 for being a groundbreaker and opening the worlds eyes to the zombie threat!

Definitely...it holds up, it's a classic.

Have I to pick a movie to watch now on thursday or friday?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Whatever you do, do not suggest day of the dead 2! Watched a few minutes and it is horrendous!

i wouldnt inflict that on my worst enemy! I'm even a bit shocked you'd think i'd even do that :D

• Advertisement

Have I to pick a movie to watch now on thursday or friday?

Says in the OP new movies will posted on Fridays.

Looking forward to whatever you choose. :)

Friday it is :)

Yep post on Friday Degrassinoel :), Would you believe I still havent had the chance to sit down and watch the movie i picked! Just one of those weeks! Def tomorrow :D

I just read that Romero says his zombies can use weapons. He says they retain memory (which we see in later Romero movies). So I guess according to him, that wouldn't be an error at all; the zombie saw the rock, recognized it as a weapon, and picked it up to use it to smash the window.

Also, the little girl in the cellar who was bitten? Romero says it was not the bite that killed her, it only sped up her inevitable death; he says the cause of death is not important but everyone who dies, in any manner, turns into a zombie.

(I'm reading the book, Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About Zombies, and throughout the book the author highlights "Romero's Rules")

Personally I don't like the style of zombie.

I prefer to think that a zombie has no thoughts, and their brain doesn't function in any way other than to tell them to eat flesh. Zombies who don't know how to do simple stuff such as open doors and instead just throw themselves at the door. They're the kind I like.
    Also they're much scarier when they run.

Haven't got a chance to watch this yet, I planned on doing it Monday but the internet was playing up. I'll try again tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Personally I don't like the style of zombie.
    Agreed, the use of weapons and tools is fairly distinctly human. You can't pick and choose which human traits are gone, either they're as good as brain dead and working on animal instinct or you might as well forget about the whole thing.

ScumLord wrote: »
    Agreed, the use of weapons and tools is fairly distinctly human. You can't pick and choose which human traits are gone, either they're as good as brain dead and working on animal instinct or you might as well forget about the whole thing.

Exactly. And this book argues both sides, but tends to agree with them being more animalistic than human. Honestly, I feel like Romero has gone soft towards them as his movies progressed, giving them feelings, memories, etc. I just can't see how something that is for all purposes dead and rotting, having that kind of functionality.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Exactly. And this book argues both sides, but tends to agree with them being more animalistic than human. Honestly, I feel like Romero has gone soft towards them as his movies progressed, giving them feelings, memories, etc. I just can't see how something that is for all purposes dead and rotting, having that kind of functionality.
    To some people zombies are monsters, monsters are mythical and can be whatever you want them to be in order to get a scare. They're just not taking it seriously damn it!

Loading the video now, going to watch it on youtube instead.
    Much better quality than the google link, and I can't stand watching it with that white bar at the bottom of the screen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85C2JnZOY4k

• Advertisement

Just watched it there, I really do love that movie hate the ending though (I wont spoil it for those who have never watched it.

Im going to disagree with Degrassinoel and Chasethislight and say I like the character of Barbra, well more her place in the film rather than the actual character herself. I think its highly likely that on z day you would come across someone who has gone catatonic, and have to deal with them. Although I would have liked to slap her a few times.

I feel the middle of the film is a bit slow with the repetitive upstairs/downstairs argument.

Allot of it was totally unrealistic, given how slow the zombies were you could have walked from the house to the pump before they caught up and walked back leaving them to follow you.

I also dislike how slow everything is the zeds, the people, the violence and the vehicles. Why is everything SO slow!!

Great film though and id also give it a 7 out of 10.

Advertisement