Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weekly Z movie

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭ChaseThisLight

steveLFC24 wrote: »
    I agree with ChaseThisLight that the zombies could have been better/more scary. Although I guess when you think about it, we should have more physical strength that something that is dead.

That is very true. Most times, especially nowadays, zombies are portrayed as being pretty strong. You'd think with them being dead that wouldn't be the case. Everything about them just looked so awkward in this movie, which again, is what you'd really expect from something dead and rotting.

The blue make-up is a bit stupid, not sure what they were thinking with that one.

From what I've read, Savini said it was an accident, and he regretted the choice. He made them grey -since Night of the Living Dead had been filmed in black and white, he wanted to keep with how they'd looked in that film - but on film the grey looked blue.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭steveLFC24

Yeah I guess its what you would expect an actual zombie to be like, but if the film as a whole doesn't cut the mustard, then the slow zombies actually make it even worse in my opinion.

OK I think its my turn now. Sticking with the slow and rotting zombies I'm goning go for Zombie Zombie Flesh Eaters (aka Zombie 2) (1979) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080057/ Personally I think its just a cool film. Its just a straight up zombie movie, doesn't try to be funny (although watching it nowadays some parts make you giggle) or bring up an social issues etc. There's not much of a plot, but it makes up for it with some good effects, nice music and overall solid (if not spectacular) acting. I think its probably Lucio Fulci's best movie. Definitely worth a watch if you haven't seen it. As far as zombie films go I'd give it a 7 :) Enjoy.

Oh and I've just noticed the full film is on youtube, quality isn't too bad. Not sure if it there legally though :rolleyes:

Yeah I guess its what you would expect an actual zombie to be like, but if the film as a whole doesn't cut the mustard, then the slow zombies actually make it even worse in my opinion.

OK I think its my turn now. Sticking with the slow and rotting zombies I'm goning go for Zombie Zombie Flesh Eaters (aka Zombie 2) (1979) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080057/ Personally I think its just a cool film. Its just a straight up zombie movie, doesn't try to be funny (although watching it nowadays some parts make you giggle) or bring up an social issues etc. There's not much of a plot, but it makes up for it with some good effects, nice music and overall solid (if not spectacular) acting. I think its probably Lucio Fulci's best movie. Definitely worth a watch if you haven't seen it. As far as zombie films go I'd give it a 7 :) Enjoy.

Oh and I've just noticed the full film is on youtube, quality isn't too bad. Not sure if it there legally though :rolleyes:

Just watched this (thanks again for the link!). I'd never seen it before, and you were right, it's just a straight up zombie film, which is probably what made it entertaining and so easy to watch. Definitely some giggle moments, but it was decent. Really liked the way it ended, too.

The zombies looked great; I'd even go so far as to say they were better than the zombies in Dawn of the Dead...the makeup was so much more realistic, wounds actually looked like wounds, if that makes sense.

I really liked the use of the voodoo - even if it wasn't actually admitted to being used. I've always felt that in a movie if you have zombies climbing out of a grave, the only way to do it is necromancy, as how could a disease reach a body that's buried?

I loved the shark scene; it was somehow both ridiculous and brilliant at once. :pac:

My one issue was this: a zombie is coming towards you, it's slow, you've got time to move or get away - but you stand there and scream and moan? Really? You deserve to be eaten alive then.

I'd give it a 7; it was much better than I expected it to be.

The movie ends where most zombie movies start (if that makes sense). Probably one of the few films where the undead look, well, dead lol...not just humans on crack.

Yeah the voodoo is a nice touch, gives a different perspective to the usual virus scenario. I get what you mean about the idiots just standing there screaming, unless your a banshee you pretty f**ked. I guess this is something that is not just confined to zombie films though, many horror films where there is always some eejit who's just asking to die.

The shark and the eyeball scenes are awesome :pac:

Since nobody put one up this week I have no problem throwing up another one later this evening or tomorrow. Any objections or if anyone else wants to suggest one then just let me know.

I get what you mean about the idiots just standing there screaming, unless your a banshee you pretty f**ked. I guess this is something that is not just confined to zombie films though, many horror films where there is always some eejit who's just asking to die.

That's true, it is normal for many horror films. I think it just really stuck out to me in this movie, because it was the reaction to almost everyone when they encountered a zombie; it was kinda frustrating when it's obvious to me watching, that they had ample time to not get killed.
    The shark and the eyeball scenes are awesome :pac:

Oh god...the eyeball scene was gruesomely awesome. I didn't think they'd show the entire thing, and I cringed when they did. She deserved it, too; she was a bit of a bitch.
    Since nobody put one up this week I have no problem throwing up another one later this evening or tomorrow. Any objections or if anyone else wants to suggest one then just let me know.

I think we start from the top of the list again?

• Advertisement

Yeah no problem, just thought I'd offer seeing as nobody posted in a while :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

I've a great one next, one I forgot I had in my collection :)

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭ladypip

1. Ladypip : Original Night of the living dead. Zombieland
    2. Degrassinoel. : 28 days Later
    3. Tallon. : La Horde
    4. ChaseThisLight. : Retreat
    5. Asot : Resident evil
    6. Leeg.17: The Dead
    7. Tzar chasm.: Fido
    8. Kash. Shaun of the dead
    9. Mickeydolenz: Rammbock Berlin undead.
    10.Hootananny: Original Dawn of the dead.
    11. SteveLFC24: Zombie Flesh eaters

Sorry Ive been really run off my feet of late. I guess we will just start at me again and go down the list. Ok my pick is Zombieland, I know opinion is divided on this movie but I love it if only for Bill Murrays part :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,734 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

been itching to watch Tallahassee kick some ass again :)

I think I'm one of the few who just don't like Zombieland. I liked Tallahassee, and I liked the rules the kid makes up, and of course Bill Murray was great. But I didn't like anything else about it. I hated the other characters, hated the romance plot between the boy and girl. I think most of my dislike stems from the creators calling the movie Zombieland and leading you to believe that there were zombies in it and that the normal zombie rules applied…and then turning around and saying no, they weren't really zombies, they were like the infected in 28 Days Later and they don't need to be shot in the head to die because they can be killed normally just like a regular person. It's like they just put zombie in the title to get zombie fans to watch it. That, and it seemed like everyone I knew quoted the movie constantly when it came out and it was irritating. And it's also the first movie people ask if I like when they find out I like zombie films, because it's the only one most of them have seen. /rant :o

I'd give it a 4.

And since I just now got to watch it, I'm going to add a few words about the movie Micky picked that I couldn't find at the time, Rammbock: Berlin Undead. I had to buy it (only cost me $3, so that was cool). Anyway, I enjoyed it. I think what I liked most was that it was slightly different from most zombie films, like the use of sedatives to slow the infection, and the lights; acting was decent as well, much better than you'd find in a lot of zombie movies. I give it an 8/10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

I found zombieland entertaining, but felt it spiralled downhill very quickly.

The 'rules' and the way they were demonstrated were the highlight for me, and lulled me into a false sense of security thinking that it would keep that pace throughout, but it wasn't to be.

The Bill Murray scenes pepped it up a tad, but as soon as that was over, I think the movie could have been switched off. The end just annoyed me.

5/10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭TheStook

The part where Columbus realizes Tallahasee is talking about losing his son and not a dog is actually very sad, I think its a good movie as far as modern zombie flicks go, the ending was pretty stupid but aside from that its a decent movie

I love Zombieland, watched it again there during the week. Its just one of those movies that you can sit and down and watch without having to read too much into it. It has its flaws of course, but I think Tallahassee, Bill Murray, the settings and the rules part make up for these. Woody Harrelson is also one of my favourite actors so I may be a bit biased.

As far as 'zom-coms' go I still prefer Shaun of the Dead though, mainly because I think it managed to get the comedy/horror mix spot on. Anyways, I'd give zombieland a 7. Looking forward to the 2nd one in a couple years :)

When's the next one? :)

Zombieland was awesome, I literally forgot how good it was

leave it with me, need to get my thinking cap on for this one.. don't laugh! :)

Zombie Movie of the week this week is...

Dun Dunnn Dunnnnnn!

28weeks_home_top20070327.jpg

And a low-def video because i just cant find any decent resolution ones for some reason..

and my thinking cap is bust, it was this or doomsday, and tbh doomsday had no zombies in it :D

Awesome im gonna watch this tonight :)

Who's next?

Tallon wrote: »
    Who's next?

According to the list, you are.

Watched 28 Weeks Later. I've always liked the movie...I absolutely love the opening. One thing that has always bugged me though, is why they left that woman unguarded when they knew she carried the virus, and her husband had access to everywhere - like they didn't even consider he'd want/try to see her?

According to the list, you are.

Awesome :D

Here you go, have fun

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1781812/

• Advertisement

Tallon wrote: »

I read a really good review for this recently. Been wanting to see it since.

I just realized it was my turn and I didn't post a movie last Friday. :o Sorry! Still haven't got to watch Exit Humanity yet, either...working a lot gives me no time for anything else.

Anyway, figured I'd throw a movie out there to make up for being late with it. And I'm going to pick I Am Legend, because without its influence, Romero might never have come up with the idea for Night of the Living Dead, leaving us in a world without the zombies we know and love to kill. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

Has anyone seen Rec3 yet? Its pretty pants! Do they count as zombie movies? I know the first one should but if you are a fan of the series (Portuguese version) then after the second you can tend to sway off the zombie view of them. Anyway the guys in the 3rd are shufflers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

I'm going to have to drop off the list - with a newborn, a movie is out of the question!

Kash wrote: »
    I'm going to have to drop off the list - with a newborn, a movie is out of the question!

Congrats! :)

Congrats Kash!!! Whos Next?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Hope you dont mind me posting this here, rather than starting a thread but Boy eats girl is on tonight, the horror channel, sky 319 at 10.55. Starring the eminently untalented sammy mumba

Advertisement