Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weekly Z movie

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Hmmm, been a while since I've seen that. Oh and btw, if you ever used to watch DreamTeam on Sky years back, look out for Luis Amor Rodriguez - he has a pretty bad ending but acts it very well.

Think I'll watch that one tonight :) Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Hmmm, been a while since I've seen that. Oh and btw, if you ever used to watch DreamTeam on Sky years back, look out for Luis Amor Rodriguez - he has a pretty bad ending but acts it very well.

Think I'll watch that one tonight :) Cheers!

I know haha i loved dream team. The first time i watched this movie i noticed straight away! I actually wish it was still on tv :(

Gonna watch it later myself, have alot of packing to do first!

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭ladypip

ASOT wrote: »
    Cheers lads.

Iv chosen possibly the most well known name in the zombie genre and the start of a great series!
    One of my favorites & one of the best imo. From the games to the movies Resident Evil has just been excellent!

Im not a lad.

Good choice with resident evil :)

Im a little behind but I just watched Retreat and I really enjoyed it. I don't know if id watch it again as I now know the twists but it kept me and my bf guessing the whole time. 6/10 from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Can I be added to the list please. Might watch this movie as part of my hungover recovery plan :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Me to please :D

• Advertisement

Hootanany wrote: »
    Me to please :D

For the hangover plan? Bring munchies :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭Old Tom

I watched this one last night.

I admit I find it very good, much better than vast majority of "paid" films. I've downloaded it and will give it a go once again on a bigger screen this time.

Update of those picking the movies

1. Ladypip
    2. Degrassinoel.
    3. Tallon.
    4. ChaseThisLight.
    5. Asot
    6. Leeg.17
    7. Tzar chasm.
    8. Kash.
    9. Mickeydolenz
    10.Hootananny

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

Ladypip, would it be possible to edit the first post with the films already chosen? I'm hoping this thread goes on for a while, and it would be great if we could avoid picking the same thing twice

I would Kash but I cant edit my first post any more, there is a time limit on edits. I can however make a list now.

Peeps: Movies picked so far

1. Ladypip : Original Night of the living dead.
    2. Degrassinoel. : 28 days Later
    3. Tallon. : La Horde
    4. ChaseThisLight. : Retreat
    5. Asot : Resident evil
    6. Leeg.17
    7. Tzar chasm.
    8. Kash.
    9. Mickeydolenz
    10.Hootananny

• Advertisement

A mod would probably be more than happy to edit your first post for you. :D

done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭ChaseThisLight

While I've seen Resident Evil numerous times I went ahead and watched it again over the weekend.

I really like so much about it - from the way The Hive works, to the zombies, to watching Michelle Rodriguez get killed (hey, I'm a LOST fan...my dislike of Ana-Lucia runs deep!).

The one thing I don't like, and that I think gets worse and worse as the series continues, is the special infected; I will give them credit for explaining them as experiments, but I like my zombies as just that, plain old zombies.

Hehe, i did actually watch last weekend, I've just been too busy to review it.

Completely agree with Chase about Michelle Rodriguez, she's a woeful actor. I reckon if she ever did smile her face would crack or the people in the immediate vicinity would turn to stone in disbelief. Her acting is wooden and in my opinion she does a second rate job of trying to be 'Vasquez' from Aliens in EVERYTHING she's ever in.

Now, rant over, on with what i thought of the film..
    Mila Jovovich is a pretty bad actor in the same way that Arnold Schwarzenegger is, but both have had roles that fitted them perfectly. This (and to a lesser extent, the fifth element) suited her.

The plot was good, based on the original game but a million miles away from any of the games plots. Again, i agree with Chase about there being too much emphasis on the special infected rather than the zombies, and Alice's "superpowers" were a bit over the top. That said, it's an enjoyable plot, glossy camerawork and CGI made the gore seem less of a focus point than the story, which some other films seem to neglect and lose themselves in.
    Some second rate actors played some first rate bits in the film. The red queen for me stole the show though, creepy as hell!

Note, again the first words the lead actor says is "Hello", am I the only one noticing a trend here with zombie films? haha :D

My rating would 6.9/10
    Bubblegum zombie film but just not enough zombies!

Hehe, i did actually watch last weekend, I've just been too busy to review it.

See, and I just didn't want to review too early, so I waited to post.
    Completely agree with Chase about Michelle Rodriguez, she's a woeful actor. I reckon if she ever did smile her face would crack or the people in the immediate vicinity would turn to stone in disbelief. Her acting is wooden and in my opinion she does a second rate job of trying to be 'Vasquez' from Aliens in EVERYTHING she's ever in.

A million times, this.
    Now, rant over, on with what i thought of the film..
    Mila Jovovich is a pretty bad actor in the same way that Arnold Schwarzenegger is, but both have had roles that fitted them perfectly. This (and to a lesser extent, the fifth element) suited her.

I've never heard it put that way, but you're right...she's not very good at all, but somehow she's perfect as Alice.
    The plot was good, based on the original game but a million miles away from any of the games plots. Again, i agree with Chase about there being too much emphasis on the special infected rather than the zombies, and Alice's "superpowers" were a bit over the top. That said, it's an enjoyable plot, glossy camerawork and CGI made the gore seem less of a focus point than the story, which some other films seem to neglect and lose themselves in.

Agree - and like the special infected, her "super powers" get more fantastically unbelievable as the series continues...but it can be overlooked because you're right, the story, etc holds up on it's own (okay, until the 4th movie, and then it all falls apart).
    Some second rate actors played some first rate bits in the film. The red queen for me stole the show though, creepy as hell!

+1 Something about that calm child's voice behind being responsible for all that violence.
    Note, again the first words the lead actor says is "Hello", am I the only one noticing a trend here with zombie films? haha :D

I didn't connect that...but you're right...now I'm going to have to remember to pay attention come the next movie.
    My rating would 6.9/10
    Bubblegum zombie film but just not enough zombies!

I forgot to rate it! :o 6 or 7 out of 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

Milla is typically quite cold and alienesque, which in the case of the Res Evil franchise, is absolutely spot on - so she makes a fantastic Alice. The same can be said of her in Fifth Element, and even in Zoolander. Of course, costumes made of bandages do her no harm either :)
    The plot was good, based on the original game but a million miles away from any of the games plots.

Which can only be a good thing!! Allthough, in all honesty, the games are one of the reasons why I appreciated the wooden acting - I don't know if you have played them, but the voice acting was atrocious, and has been ridiculed for as long as I can remember. As a result, the performances by Rodriquez and Jovovich felt true to the game - whether intentionally or not!
    The one thing I don't like, and that I think gets worse and worse as the series continues, is the special infected; I will give them credit for explaining them as experiments, but I like my zombies as just that, plain old zombies.

And this is where I have to disagree with you both. This simply could not have called itself Resident Evil without the horrific mutations that you encounter in the game - if it had stuck to plain old zombies, i would have been very upset. The game had some brillliantly shrieky moments (like the first time the zombie dogs attack you) and repeated "WTF is THAT?!" moments which really kept the tension levels high. I felt that the movie was quite faithful to the game in that respect. I do of course like my zombies to be zombies, but for Resident Evil, the whole concept is based on a genetic mutation, and that throws the door wide open for all sorts of creepy critters.

8/10 for me :)

Kash wrote: »
    And this is where I have to disagree with you both. This simply could not have called itself Resident Evil without the horrific mutations that you encounter in the game - if it had stuck to plain old zombies, i would have been very upset. The game had some brillliantly shrieky moments (like the first time the zombie dogs attack you) and repeated "WTF is THAT?!" moments which really kept the tension levels high. I felt that the movie was quite faithful to the game in that respect. I do of course like my zombies to be zombies, but for Resident Evil, the whole concept is based on a genetic mutation, and that throws the door wide open for all sorts of creepy critters.

I completely get that, and it's good they kept that true to the games; you're right, it wouldn't be Resident Evil without them. What I mean though, is that I don't like the zombie dogs, etc, period. It's the one thing that has always kept me from loving Resident Evil; I'll watch it, I'll enjoy it, I'll be entertained by it, but I only like it.

The movie is easy to watch but I too don't like the way the zeds are secondary to the monsters.

I would have much preferred if it stuck to the game for the first movie, in a big old house and zeds everywhere, then go underground to the lab.

5/10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

I've been watching the odd film (typing from touch) but my film is The Dead (2010), really enjoyed it the first time around, haven't watched it in a while :)

Leeg17 wrote: »
    I've been watching the odd film (typing from touch) but my film is The Dead (2010), really enjoyed it the first time around, haven't watched it in a while :)

Fail.

Friday is the day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

Fail.

Friday is the day.

I'll surely forget it tomorrow , I forgot when I was first meant to submit a movie :p

Dont worry, i'll remind everyone by editing your last post or something, and maybe adding something really embarrassing to the edit too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

I actually watched this last week. Nothing much sticks in my mind about it. Basically zombies in africa. Kind of a tense, edge of seat feeling all through the film.
    While not able to remember specifics, I kept thinking along the lines of "No, don't do that, do it this way!" Whenever the lead characters were doing anything.
    5/10, pleasant enough to pass the time with :)

in Africa? .. are you sure you watched the right film?

in Africa? .. are you sure you watched the right film?

I think he meant The Dead.

Aha, well now that it's Friday.. i guess that's cool :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

I watched this recently, one thing struck me, if there were enough trees to tie tripwires to the first time why didn't they just climb up them to sleep, that way the blackfella wouldn't have got bitten.

Aso why did everyone run out into the courtyard after the wall collapsed surely that's the optimum time to bar the doors and hunker down

This week's Film: The Dead http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1386925/

Correct me if I'm wrong but dint this show up on google or youtube a while back too?

This week's Film: The Dead http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1386925/

Correct me if I'm wrong but dint this show up on google or youtube a while back too?

You are right...and I could have sworn it was linked on a thread at some point, but now I can't find it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭steveLFC24

I liked 'The Dead', very simple idea and worked quite well with the location. It had an old fashioned feel to it, maybe because most of it is set in middle of nowhere. I loved the zombies in it, kind of went back to the slow moving style of the first Romero movies. It's a change seeing as most zombie films these days seem to have zombies and run and jump and sh*t. As far as zombie movies go I'd give it a 7.

I've just found this thread, great idea. I'd be happy to suggest a movie when everyone else has. I love zombie films and I've seen a rake load of them, even some very obscure ones. Anyways, I'd be happy to suggest one and write a review :)

Advertisement