Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MLB: 2012 Season Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭brilliantboy

I don't understand this team. They score a grand total of something like 4 runs during a 5 game losing streak and then explode on the Rangers for 31 runs in the last two games.
    I hope the inconsistency is just due to youth and this is the real Mariners we're seeing these last two games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I don't understand this team. They score a grand total of something like 4 runs during a 5 game losing streak and then explode on the Rangers for 31 runs in the last two games.
    I hope the inconsistency is just due to youth and this is the real Mariners we're seeing these last two games.

Just looking at the box score for that game, I thought it was funny that Iwakuma got the save just because he pitched 3 innings. He had 16 run lead when he came in and still managed to give up 3 runs!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

Just looking at the box score for that game, I thought it was funny that Iwakuma got the save just because he pitched 3 innings. He had 16 run lead when he came in and still managed to give up 3 runs!
    Yea, thats the rule if you pitch the final 3 innings of a game your team is leading you get a save no matter what the lead is. I remember that from this game which set the record for the run differential for a save...

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/boxscore.jsp?gid=2007_08_22_texmlb_balmlb_1

Coeus wrote: »
    Yea, thats the rule if you pitch the final 3 innings of a game your team is leading you get a save no matter what the lead is. I remember that from this game which set the record for the run differential for a save...

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/boxscore.jsp?gid=2007_08_22_texmlb_balmlb_1

Excellent! At least he didn't give up any runs in his 3 innings

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Holy Sh*t...

I just turned on the TV.

Seattle Mariners are playing the Texas Rangers in Texas.

Top of the 4th...

Two outs...

and the score is...

SEVENTEEN to nothing for the mariners.

wtf did i miss??

:eek:

Pretty funny watching that back on MLBtv today and switching between the two broadcasts. Mariner commentators losing their minds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Yup. Being the Mariners... a 15 run lead still produced a nail biter of a finish as iwakuma managed to give up a few runs.

It was pretty painful watching Iwakuma, it wasn't a question of confidence either, the kid is plainly not ready for the big leagues.

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Cursed?
    I think you blessed the team :cool:
    17 runs up on the mighty Rangers and it's only the 4th inning

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Everything is bigger in Texas. I remember when they beat the Orioles by a score of something like 30-3. Speaking of my Orioles, they're on a losing streak, but so are the Rays, so we're still tied for the lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭UCD AFC

...with the Red Sox (bottom) just 2 1/2 games back, the AL East is crazily bunched up

UCD AFC wrote: »
    ...with the Red Sox (bottom) just 2 1/2 games back, the AL East is crazily bunched up

The entire East in both divisions is. Philly is just 3 games back in the NL.

• Advertisement

The Mets just got their first No-hitter!

MoyVilla9 wrote: »

At last. I'm over the moon. And it couldn't have been done by a nicer guy. Well done Johan!

MoyVilla9 wrote: »
    About time and against a tough lineup aswell. Fair play to Johan.

Only the Padres remain without a no-hitter although the Nats dont have one since they set up shop in Washington...

Wow, 134 pitches was it? Incredible for a guy out injured last year.

Also bit annoyed ESPN aren't showing Rangers Angels match up tonight, CJ Wilson goes up against Yu Darvish (it's on 2am GMT but I would've caught the replay tomorrow)

edit: however, they continue to show a lot of the Sox to my delight. Felix Doubront takes the hill tonight, he has been the most consistent starter for the Sox he just struggles to get deep into games.

Wow, 134 pitches was it? Incredible for a guy out injured last year.

That's the worrying part. I just hope he didn't overdo it so it messes up his next few starts. Apparently he'd never thrown more than 125 pitches in a game before so when you consider what he's been through injury wise over the past couple of years, I'll be keeping a close eye on the mets blogs over the next while and hopefully there'll be no bad news.

Looks like the Os could stop the skid and beat the Rays, just 6 more outs to hold onto the 1 run lead.

Wow, Jeter just hit Verlander's first pitch of the game for a HR - it's the rubber game on ESPN America now

Wow, Jeter just hit Verlander's first pitch of the game for a HR - it's the rubber game on ESPN America now

And now A-Rod just hit another HR off him.

O's @ Red Sox is today's MLB.TV free game, sorted :)

Another win for Baltimore. Thank you Boston, we now have 7 wins in a row at Fenway.

• Advertisement

Nationals @ Red Sox on ESPN America now, great chance to see Bryce Harper while my Sox hopefully pick up the win!

Coeus wrote: »
    Johan Santana has just been hit for back-to-back-to-back homers by the Yankees. What a difference a week makes! One week unhittable, the following week throwing batting practice meatballs...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I don't know who the Mariners announcers are but they're crazy!
    Some passion, roaring on every play :D

Brandon League for the hold and Tom Wilhemsen for the save, both were great

Mariners win 1-0, no hitter

Great finish, best game I've seen in a good while

With all of League's struggles this season it was damn scary to see him come in with runners on 2nd and 3rd with 1 out in the 8th. Great game, just a pity Millwood had to take himself out after 6.

Id had the game on and off a few times, while I watched another channel.

Then in the bottom of the seventh I heard an announcer say something about no hits but also that millwood was out. Wtf. Now the game had my attention. Apparently millwood left because of a "mild groin strain" while throwing a warm up pitch before the sixth. Seems odd, couldn't he just take an asprin and keep going? Especially since he had a no hitter going.
    But it was only the sixth so I guess it didn't seem important to him at that point. In any case it produced one of the most exciting finishes to a game ive ever seen.
    It was still tied at zero at the bottom of the 7th but with an Ichiro hit and stolen base the mariners got a run. I forget who got the rbi.

At the top of the 8th the buzz was starting about a no hitter. Id never seen a "combined" no hitter and this is the first time the mariners have had one.

Then it was all about mariners pitchers and they went through five relievers, including a nail biting inning with Brandon league.

Wilhelmsen(sp?) did a great job in the ninth but it was extremely scary.

An Amazing game. Id write more but I'm using the @#$&* phone.

Go M's!

I think Dan Wilson was with them too.

With all of League's struggles this season it was damn scary to see him come in with runners on 2nd and 3rd with 1 out in the 8th. Great game, just a pity Millwood had to take himself out after 6.

Yes League was a frightening choice. And he made it scary too.

Can you believe milwood? A "mild" groin strain? Not even moderate? Don't pitchers aspire to no hitters their whole careers?

But it was really nice to see so many share in a no hitter, it was pretty unique.

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Yes League was a frightening choice. And he made it scary too.

Can you believe milwood? A "mild" groin strain? Not even moderate? Don't pitchers aspire to no hitters their whole careers?

But it was really nice to see so many share in a no hitter, it was pretty unique.

To be fair I think Millwood was just thinking about what was best for the team,
    he wouldn't have taken himself out if he thought he could continue pitching.
    He already has a no-hitter in his career by the way :cool:

I also wouldn't be surprised if the groin strain isn't so mild and he misses a couple of starts. We may see Hultzen or another young pitcher come up.

True. I hope he recovers okay. And of course it opened the way for five other pitchers to share in the event. I believe pryor got the win.

• Advertisement

Another win for Baltimore against nearby Philly in extra innings. Looks like the losing streak is well behind us.

Advertisement