Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MLB: 2012 Season Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Glad to see my beloved Orioles doing so well. I've learnt not to expect much from them though.

Lincecum is playing like garbage. Seriously overrated player since he won Cy young.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

matthew8 wrote: »
    Lincecum is playing like garbage. Seriously overrated player since he won Cy young.

I wouldn't say he's overrated. I think he's just going through a bad patch at the moment which players do in a lot of sports from time to time. I like watching him pitch so hopefully he'll get out of it soon and get back to where he was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Texas just scored three home runs in a row against Toronto

That's got to be some sort of record

Three home runs in an inning would be impressive but this was three players in a row, even rarer

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭brilliantboy

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Texas just scored three home runs in a row against Toronto

That's got to be some sort of record

Three home runs in an inning would be impressive but this was three players in a row, even rarer

Didn't the Orioles hit back-to-back-to-back home runs in the 1st inning earlier this month?
    In fact, I'm pretty sure that was against Texas...can't recall which pitcher though

Also, some of you may have already seen this but check out this game-ending catch from a college game. Wow :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

Didn't the Orioles hit back-to-back-to-back home runs in the 1st inning earlier this month?
    In fact, I'm pretty sure that was against Texas...can't recall which pitcher though
    Yep it was the Orioles alright...
    http://baltimore.orioles.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2012_05_10_texmlb_balmlb_1&mode=wrap&c_id=mlb#gid=2012_05_10_texmlb_balmlb_1&mode=wrap

The Reds did it last Monday aswell. That one will probably be remembered more for the guy in the crowd that caught 2 of them.
    http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2012_05_21_atlmlb_cinmlb_1&mode=wrap&c_id=mlb

There is a youtube of the fans feat above...

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭UCD AFC

one of the Reds' was the pitcher also wasn't it?

UCD AFC wrote: »
    one of the Reds' was the pitcher also wasn't it?
    Yep, Mike Leake got the first in the sequence. The fan gave the ball to him since it was his first MLB homer...

The back-to-back-to-back-to-back home run feat is rare. Red Sox were the last team to do it.
    http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070422&content_id=1925045&vkey=news_bos&fext=.jsp&c_id=bos

Would have been some night to be at Fenway especially as it was against the Yankees.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭PMU

anyone see the end of the rangers game.josh h hit a homer on a full count and drove in 2 more for the rangers to win 8-7 in 14 innings. the pitcher appeared to get the "yips" just before he threw!

Roy Halladay gives up grand slam in the 1st then pulled in the 3rd. Must be injured.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

PMU wrote: »
    anyone see the end of the rangers game.josh h hit a homer on a full count and drove in 2 more for the rangers to win 8-7 in 14 innings. the pitcher appeared to get the "yips" just before he threw!

No, the pitcher didn't get the 'yips' - that's Jason Frasor, he takes an eternity
    to throw a pitch, always has done. I laughed at the commentary crew about him:

"Someone poke him, make sure he's alive." :D

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭PMU

mod9maple wrote: »
    No, the pitcher didn't get the 'yips' - that's Jason Frasor, he takes an eternity
    to throw a pitch, always has done. I laughed at the commentary crew about him:

"Someone poke him, make sure he's alive." :D
    he made some moves alright, one comm. said "now he`s ready"

Also, some of you may have already seen this but check out this game-ending catch from a college game. Wow :cool:

Seeing as he landed on the other side of the fence isn't that a home run?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

I'd imagine its the same rule that is used for foul balls, when the fielder catches it while heading into the stand it's an out.

That was some play alright. Great catch!

Bank holiday in the States today so loads of early games on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

You've probably just cursed them so.....!!!!

:eek:

12 game losing streak now?

...i better go...

/InTheTreesOFF

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭brilliantboy

InTheTrees wrote: »

12 game losing streak now?

...i better go...

/InTheTreesOFF

Not quite, it's "just" a 5 game skid.
    There's still a long way to go to beat last years 17 game losing streak :)

The 12 game losing streak was the Cubs til yesterday. Think it is the longest of the season so far...

Coeus wrote: »
    The 12 game losing streak was the Cubs til yesterday. Think it is the longest of the season so far...

Cubs rolling now. 2 wins in a row! Ok they were against the Padres but a win's a win

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

Coeus wrote: »

The Royals had a 12 game losing streak at one stage, may even have been 13.

• Advertisement

And I had the strength to keep the tv on last night as we went into the top of the eighth inning with only a one run lead. Over the last few years thats usually meant a late game loss.

But what an 8th that was. Six runs scored. And I think five of those were with no outs. nice to see brendan ryan reach home from 3rd on a wild pitch (I think), payback from the night before when he was thrown out at the plate after attempting an inside the park home run.

It was nice to see the mariners not bring in brandon league as closer too. He doesnt deserve the easy Save on his record, he's blown enough games that its time to give someone else a shot.

SO the five game streak is over. Thanks vargas. I may have the nerve to watch tonight... Although there's a Seattle Sounders match too.

;)

Only my first season watching baseball

So watched the Ken Burns documentary to learn so more

Was blown away by Ichiro's throw
    I know it's old but sure we'll post it up

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭UCD AFC

Red Sox finally get above .500, Bard out-pitching Verlander at Fenway

Only my first season watching baseball

So watched the Ken Burns documentary to learn so more

Here are a couple of throws from Rick Ankiel from his St. Louis days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cOj614ohFU

It probably explains why the guy on third didn't tag up and run from this fly ball to him earlier this season

http://www.businessinsider.com/rick-ankiel-throw-2012-4

Harper'd got some arm as well so you'd want to be pretty sure before running against the Nationals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

There are certain outfielders runners just know not to test - Bautista (Toronto) has a great throwing arm.

Cubs win again, scrapped out a win in the ninth inning

This will be the year!

Here are a couple of throws from Rick Ankiel from his St. Louis days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cOj614ohFU

It probably explains why the guy on third didn't tag up and run from this fly ball to him earlier this season

http://www.businessinsider.com/rick-ankiel-throw-2012-4

Harper'd got some arm as well so you'd want to be pretty sure before running against the Nationals.
    Ankiel used to be a pitcher for the Cardinals back in the early naughties. He had a great rookie season but started having control issues in a playoff game in 2000 which then got worse over the next few years. He eventually quit pitching and became an outfielder with a rocket arm...

Ichiro is a master for sure.

You've probably just cursed them so.....!!!!
    InTheTrees wrote: »
    I think thats possible...

I posted here in baseball about two years ago and the season just went downhill from there.

Except last year I was apathetic and they still sucked.

:o

Cursed?
    I think you blessed the team :cool:

17 runs up on the mighty Rangers and it's only the 4th inning

• Advertisement

Holy Sh*t...

I just turned on the TV.

Seattle Mariners are playing the Texas Rangers in Texas.

Top of the 4th...

Two outs...

and the score is...

SEVENTEEN to nothing for the mariners.

wtf did i miss??

Advertisement