Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MLB: 2012 Season Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

Is anyone else's MLB.TV subscription acting funny? Mine is. The Mets have scored 16 runs in 6 innings in the version I have. Something's up.

(the sad thing is though, the bullpen will probably still find a way either make it a tight game or lose it)
    No Im seeing 16 runs after the 6th inning on all scoring outlets I look at ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Sabathia and Petitte both going on DL. CC's only going to miss 2 starts probably but Petitte's probably out for about 6 weeks. Could cool the Yankees down a bit and bring them back to the pack

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/baseball/mlb/06/27/yankees.sabathia.ap/index.html?sct=hp_t2_a2&eref=sihp

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭BigFatGiant

A nice sweep for the Giants against the Dodgers last night and kept them scoreless over the 3 games. Tied for 1st now hopefully we can open up a gap as they really are an average team without Kemp and Etheir.

A nice sweep for the Giants against the Dodgers last night and kept them scoreless over the 3 games. Tied for 1st now hopefully we can open up a gap as they really are an average team without Kemp and Etheir.

Tom Lincecum having a decent game was probably the best thing to come out of the series don't you think?

If the Giants can get him back on track full time they should be able to outlast the Dodgers. Although I'd be keeping an eye on Arizona too if I was you. They're slowly creeping back into it

Meant to post this the other night but what a catch from Mike Trout. Slow mo makes it even more impressive
    http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=22644539&c_id=mlb&topic_id=vtp_must_c

He is a shoe in for AL rookie of the year and a potential AL MVP if he keeps up the way he is playing and the Angels make the playoffs...

• Advertisement

Coeus wrote: »
    Meant to post this the other night but what a catch from Mike Trout. Slow mo makes it even more impressive
    http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=22644539&c_id=mlb&topic_id=vtp_must_c

He is a shoe in for AL rookie of the year and a potential AL MVP if he keeps up the way he is playing and the Angels make the playoffs...

That catch was pretty impressive alright, as has been his play so far. So who would you rather have in your team? Trout or Harper? I'd go for Trout.

That catch was pretty impressive alright, as has been his play so far. So who would you rather have in your team? Trout or Harper? I'd go for Trout.
    For now I would go for Trout, calling him up turned the Angels season around. Who you go for longterm depends and what you are looking for. A speedfreak leadoff guy with some power (in Trout) or a middle of the order guy who can run a bit (in Harper). Harper is a year younger aswell so has a further year to develop...

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭UCD AFC

I'd be the same, Trout now - Harper in the longterm for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Watching White Sox-Yankees and Youkilis is getting a right rough time

Lost track of a foul ball in the sun and it landed beside him.

And lost track of a fly ball in the sun and his teammate bailed him out and got it

Sarcastic cheers/jeers of yooouuuuk going around the stands both times

To be expected from Yankees fans

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Wheels starting to come off in Baltimore I feel. We'll do well to make .500.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

What a day of baseball so far. First the 13-12 Brewers-Marlins game, then the White Sox putting 17 runs on Texas, and now with the Indians up 9-5 and the Angels down to their last out and none on base, we have a rain delay. Hilarious.

Cliff Lee just go his 1st win of the season. I guess thats a symptom of how bad the Phillies have been this season...

Cliff Lee just go his 1st win of the season. I guess thats a symptom of how bad the Phillies have been this season...

He was quite good too. Threw so many first pitch strikes to get ahead in the count ans put pressure on the Mets hitters. At one stage he was something like 18 first pitch strikes to the first 22 or 23 hitters.

The Mets were still in it though till the old bullpen problems reared their ugly head again and gave up 6 runs in the 8th/9th.

Any one see this?

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7930049/another-30-films-subjects-stories-captured-our-attention

It's kind of sad really, The all time hit leader in baseball sitting in a memorabilia store in Vegas for a living.

He was quite good too. Threw so many first pitch strikes to get ahead in the count ans put pressure on the Mets hitters. At one stage he was something like 18 first pitch strikes to the first 22 or 23 hitters.

The Mets were still in it though till the old bullpen problems reared their ugly head again and gave up 6 runs in the 8th/9th.
    Yea, I only caught the tailend of the game. I guess he was lucky he wasn't up against RA Dickey.

Speaking of Dickey, the Mets need to have him pitch out of the bullpen sooner rather than later if thats what Collins is planning...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

A's sweep the Sox, third in AL west and now one game of .500. Actually kinda fun following them this year.

Mauro Gomez started 3B for the Sox. He hasn't played 3B since 2009 and by all accounts sucked at it when he did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Think I've caught the baseball bug through a mix of a fúcked up sleeping pattern and nothing else being on the telly at this hour. Also watched a few documentaries recently enough - "Catching Hell" and "4 Days In October" being the highlights!

What's the best way to figure out all these stats that my telly keeps throwing at me, would some kind sole tell me? :pac:

Go Red Sox. ;)

baz2009 wrote: »
    Think I've caught the baseball bug through a mix of a fúcked up sleeping pattern and nothing else being on the telly at this hour. Also watched a few documentaries recently enough - "Catching Hell" and "4 Days In October" being the highlights!

What's the best way to figure out all these stats that my telly keeps throwing at me, would some kind sole tell me? :pac:

Go Red Sox. ;)

Wikipedia's actually quite good for basaball stuff but if you have any specific questions, throw them up here and someone will help you out

Speaking of Dickey, the Mets need to have him pitch out of the bullpen sooner rather than later if thats what Collins is planning...

Instead of starting? I don't agree. The way he's been pitching, giving 8 or 9 quality innings makes him too valuable as a starter. Both times recently when the Mets were on a losing streak of 3 or 4 games when the starters werent great, he came in and steadied the ship

I don't know enough about him or how it would affect his performanes if he came in occasionally and pitched an inning out of the pen inbetween his starts if that's what is being talked about but I wouldn't want to be tinkering with what's been working so far

If the Mets need bullpen help, they should look to get some from outside I think although I don't know who's out there of any use or if they could afford them or have anyone to trade for them. It'll be an interesting couple of weeks till the trade deadline anyway, for all teams I suppose. Especially with the 2 wild cards meaning teams that would normally be sellers at this stage might try and hold on to their pieces this year

Edit - with the latest roster moves with 2 pitchers DFA'd and only one promoted, they're obviously looking to do something with the pen and bring someone in from outside. I heard rumours of K-Rod coming back which doesn't fill me with excitement but even he's better than what's there at the moment

Instead of starting? I don't agree. The way he's been pitching, giving 8 or 9 quality innings makes him too valuable as a starter. Both times recently when the Mets were on a losing streak of 3 or 4 games when the starters werent great, he came in and steadied the ship

I don't know enough about him or how it would affect his performanes if he came in occasionally and pitched an inning out of the pen inbetween his starts if that's what is being talked about but I wouldn't want to be tinkering with what's been working so far

If the Mets need bullpen help, they should look to get some from outside I think although I don't know who's out there of any use or if they could afford them or have anyone to trade for them. It'll be an interesting couple of weeks till the trade deadline anyway, for all teams I suppose. Especially with the 2 wild cards meaning teams that would normally be sellers at this stage might try and hold on to their pieces this year

Edit - with the latest roster moves with 2 pitchers DFA'd and only one promoted, they're obviously looking to do something with the pen and bring someone in from outside. I heard rumours of K-Rod coming back which doesn't fill me with excitement but even he's better than what's there at the moment
    Yea, I heard the K-Rod rumours from the commentators aswell during the Brewers - Marlins game the other night.

As for Dickey he will remain a starter but either pitch out of the bullpen instead of throwing his bullpen side sessions or start more regularly on 3 days rest. The knuckleball isnt as demanding pitch to throw as regular pitches so he probably doesn't require as much rest. He also doesn't have a UCL in his elbow so he cant damage what he doesn't have by pitching more. These are the arguments for but I kinda agree in not messing with what is working so well...

• Advertisement

I'd say the Red Sox would have a spare arm for the Mets if/when either Daniel Bard or the Mark Prior experiment means they are ready for the bigs (again)

also if the Mets made a nice deal the Sox could bring up Junichi Tazawa as a replacement who pitched 3 scoreless innings (albeit in a big lead game) before going back down.

UCD AFC wrote: »
    I'd say the Red Sox would have a spare arm for the Mets if/when either Daniel Bard or the Mark Prior experiment means they are ready for the bigs (again)

also if the Mets made a nice deal the Sox could bring up Junichi Tazawa as a replacement who pitched 3 scoreless innings (albeit in a big lead game) before going back down.

I hope if the Meta do make any deals they are for cash only and don't involve prospects. The way I feel is that 2012 was supposed to be a rebuilding year and no one expected a playoff spot

I'm happy that they are competitive and in the playoff race but Id prefer them to win 85-86 games and miss out on the playoffs than going all in by trading for a better player but having to give up Wheeler or Harvey or one of the other A standard prospects in the organisation.

If they do go all in it'll only hurt them in the long run and I'd much prefer a long term gain to a short term one (except if they win the WS but that'll take more than a trad or two so that ain't gonna happen!). As I said, no one expected much this season so every game above .500 is a bonus so I know they don't mess up the good restocking of the farm system that has been going on the last year or two.

So much for the Red Sox trying to keep the Yankees off the board early this weekend. In the 3 games so far the Yankees have scored 5, 4 and now 3 (with only 1 out so far) in the first inning. Talk about digging yourself a hole!

EDIT - At least they managed to dig themselves out of the hole in the nightcap.

Pedro Ciriaco came up from the minors for yesterdays double header. He played both games and in the second game had 3 hits with 3 rbi and some great defensive plays. He also stole 3rd and ended up scoring on the error. It's games like he had that you forget the team is barely over .500 and leaves you dreaming about the future (even though he's 26) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,328 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Lincecum is such a disaster this year

8-10 wrote: »
    Lincecum is such a disaster this year

From Jayson Stark on Twitter: With 6 ER he allowed today vs Pit, Tim Lincecum has already allowed more ER (69) in the 1st half than he gave up in 4 of his 5 full seasons!

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭BigFatGiant

So how ye feeling about your teams and their post season chances following the first half of the season? Personally I am content with the Giants so far. Think it will come down to Giants and D Backs again for NL West with Dodgers tailing off. The biggest problem this year has been Lincecum. As 8-10 said "disaster this year".

So how ye feeling about your teams and their post season chances following the first half of the season? Personally I am content with the Giants so far. Think it will come down to Giants and D Backs again for NL West with Dodgers tailing off. The biggest problem this year has been Lincecum. As 8-10 said "disaster this year".

I can't see the Mets making the playoffs this season. They've had an good run this year and never in my wildest dreams would I have had them over .500 at the all star break but they are punching well above their weight and sooner or later they have to come back down to thei real level. I just hope they can stay in the hunt a bit longer.

Although he was only their 4th/5th starter, losing Dillon Gee this week was a big loss. Not that he was exceptionally good, he's a decent, reliable starter but the bigger issue is there is no one who's any good to replace him

Like you though BFG, I am more than happy with the season so far

I see the Dodgers sticking around especially since they managed to make it through the last 6 weeks without Kemp and are still in 1st (just). Kemp and Ethier will come back in and they'll probably be active in the trade market. Lots of talk of them pciking up a SP...

Giants will be there aswell and would have a couple game lead if big time timmy jam hadn't been so bad. They were my preseason pick for the NL West so I'm standing pat on that...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Looks like the Cubs are out of it this season :D
    ah well, there's always next year..

Advertisement