Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MLB: 2012 Season Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,959 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Toronto reporters decide to ask Bryce Harper what his favourite beer is because its legal to drink in Canada. He dismisses it as a clown question !

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭BigFatGiant

A perfect game for Matt Cain and Dodgers lose. Now come on Ireland make this a really great day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

A perfect game for Matt Cain and Dodgers lose. Now come on Ireland make this a really great day.
    Yea, Cain was unlucky not to have one earlier in the season when he threw a one-hitter in which the hit he gave up was to the pitcher. Some great pitching last night from RA Dickey aswell was one hit away from perfection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Coeus wrote: »
    . Some great pitching last night from RA Dickey aswell was one hit away from perfection.

That hit could easily have been called an error too. The mets are appealing the scoring of it but even they said they don't hold out too much hope of getting it changed. The only other Ray to get on base was because of an error too so RA was 2 pitches away from a perfect game himself

As for Cain, because of all the strikeouts, SI are calling it one of the most dominant performances ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Great to see my favourite pitcher in the game pitch a perfecto. Hopefully now there will be no doubt as to who is the best Giants pitcher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭BigFatGiant

matthew8 wrote: »
    Great to see my favourite pitcher in the game pitch a perfecto. Hopefully now there will be no doubt as to who is the best Giants pitcher.

No question he is the best in the Giants rotation. Bumgarner not too far behind. The biggest issue for us is Lincecums troubles at the moment. I would never have thought Id be more confident with Zito starting than him. Really hope he pulls it together, He was very entertaining to watch when at his best.

hehehe the Orioles are making the Pirates look like the Pirates again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Watching my Cubs and the Red Sox

Shocking amount of errors from Boston

Youkilies 3B with a fielding error
    Albers P and Shoppach C both scramble and then stop over a bunt expecting the other to throw to first
    And Pedroia 2B and Alives SS got in each others way on second base to allow a Cubs player to slide in

All in the same innning

They may well win this game but it looks awful

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭brilliantboy

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Watching my Cubs and the Red Sox

Shocking amount of errors from Boston

Youkilies 3B with a fielding error
    Albers P and Shoppach C both scramble and then stop over a bunt expecting the other to throw to first
    And Pedroia 2B and Alives SS got in each others way on second base to allow a Cubs player to slide in

All in the same innning

They may well win this game but it looks awful

errors you say? :D

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=22349415&topic_id=11493214&c_id=mlb

Another great performance from RA Dickey for the Mets last night. That's 2 complete game shut outs and one-hitters in a row! He hasnt given up an earned run in 42 2/3 innings.

He'll definitely be on the all star team at this rate

• Advertisement

Another great performance from RA Dickey for the Mets last night. That's 2 complete game shut outs and one-hitters in a row! He hasnt given up an earned run in 42 2/3 innings.

He'll definitely be on the all star team at this rate
    Early Cy Young contender aswell.

And to think the Mets were worried about him trekking up Kilimanjaro in the off-season. It doesn't seem to have done him any harm, he is pitching the best stuff of his career at the moment. Maybe the knuckleball will come back into fashion if he continues to dominate...

Coeus wrote: »
    Early Cy Young contender aswell.

And to think the Mets were worried about him trekking up Kilimanjaro in the off-season. It doesn't seem to have done him any harm, he is pitching the best stuff of his career at the moment. Maybe the knuckleball will come back into fashion if he continues to dominate...

I'd like to see more knuckleballers. It seems to a last resort though so I don't think you'll see some 20 year old out of college starting to throw it as apparently it takes years to master. The fact that RA is the only one probably helps him as hitters aren't seeing the type of pitch that often

The Reds-Indians game was awesome. I have a soft spot for the Indians, and it was great to see. Typically in high scoring games there are just a couple high scoring innings, but both teams constantly went at eachother. Great to watch.

I'm happy for Dickey. Saw a few of his starts last year and he was average. I guess he really got his **** together during the offseason. I've seen clips about the knuckleballers of past on espn america before and its a truly beautiful pitch when well executed.

God damn it another 5-0 loss. Hopefully at least the Braves can finish the yankees.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭paulelectronica

Havent posted in here in a while , Mets getting some great results this season , ( and some poor ones) . Highlights of the season so far was easily Santanas no hitter. 2 wins against Cincinnati last 2 nights , hoping for the sweep :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

Attended my first game of the season last night - The Yankees loss to the Braves. Good game. Tickets are pretty cheap on Stubhub.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭paulelectronica

I'd love to go to another Mets game, was at Shea before but never citi field.

Great to see the Indians beat those bloody reds, and put young Chapman back in his place. He's not perfect, unlike what many thought before he played Cleveland.

I'd love to go to another Mets game, was at Shea before but never citi field.

I'm the opposite, was never at Shea but have been to CF. I liked it and enjoyed the games I was at, even the ones they lost.

The Mets are a funny bunch at the moment. The last 4 series - get swept, sweep, get swept, sweep. Hopefully they can take a couple from the Yankees this weekend. I would have loved to watch Sunday's matchup with RA going against CC but they've moved it from the 6pm start our time to 1am

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭UCD AFC

Somebody talk me into watching the NY v NY game tonight - I haven't seen Petitte pitch this season (other than highlights), any other reasons to watch? :P

UCD AFC wrote: »
    Somebody talk me into watching the NY v NY game tonight - I haven't seen Petitte pitch this season (other than highlights), any other reasons to watch? :P

I don't buy into building up interleague games (especially the subway series) as anything more important than any other game on the schedule but with the Yankees on fire at the moment and the Mets punching above their weight so far this season, it should be interesting. But if you look at the schedule there are probably better games on to watch. The Mets last 4 series have gone swept, sweep, swept, sweep so it could depend on which Mets team turns up!

As is usual with the NY media they're trying to hype it up big time. The NY Post came out today and said the Mets are afraid of the Yankees and Frank Francisco took the bait and replied that he's looking forward to "facing those chickens and striking out the side" which is rich considering he walks a couple every inning he pitches and always seems to give up a hit or two and I'm sure the Yankees are looking forward to making him eat his words.

Sunday night's game would be a better game to watch though with CC going against RA.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭UCD AFC

Yeah I have Sunday's game penciled in to watch, should be a good one.

edit: :mad: stay up for it, rain delay now

UCD AFC wrote: »
    Yeah I have Sunday's game penciled in to watch, should be a good one.

edit: :mad: stay up for it, rain delay now

Didn't stay up but just watched the highlights now. The 9th was certainly exciting especially considering what had been said earlier in the day.

Youkilis officially traded to the White Sox...

Youkilis officially traded to the White Sox...

So he's changing from one coloured sox to another.

Great send off for him yesterday. It shows how much he meant to the Boston crowd.

So he's changing from one coloured sox to another.

Great send off for him yesterday. It shows how much he meant to the Boston crowd.
    I think this is a great deal for the White Sox, they didnt have to give much up for a big improvement at 3B and Red Sox will pay most of his salary. I see he is battling 2nd tonight, thats a good spot to start walking again with all those big bats hitting after him...

Painful for me, but probably a laugh for everyone else. How not to play defense!!!!

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=22592165&c_id=mlb

• Advertisement

Is anyone else's MLB.TV subscription acting funny? Mine is. The Mets have scored 16 runs in 6 innings in the version I have. Something's up.

(the sad thing is though, the bullpen will probably still find a way either make it a tight game or lose it)

Advertisement