Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MLB: 2012 Season Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,328 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Just noticed MLB.com's schedule has Zambrano to be the probable starter tomorrow afternoon....didn't he just pitch today?

Anyway I'm looking forward to that game, my first time watching the Phillies this year. Followed by Barry Zito and the Giants. Can't wait. Just a pity Darvish's start is on so late. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

8-10 wrote: »
    Just noticed MLB.com's schedule has Zambrano to be the probable starter tomorrow afternoon....didn't he just pitch today?

Anyway I'm looking forward to that game, my first time watching the Phillies this year. Followed by Barry Zito and the Giants. Can't wait. Just a pity Darvish's start is on so late. :(
    I'm seeing Anibal Sanchez as the Marlins tommorrow on MLB and Yahoo. Phillies game is on ESPN America so I have a look in at some stage tommorrow evening. I actually know someone from Denver going to that Rockies home opener tommorrow. I never fancy any pitcher going in Coors Field...

Coeus wrote: »
    I'm seeing Anibal Sanchez as the Marlins tommorrow on MLB and Yahoo. Phillies game is on ESPN America so I have a look in at some stage tommorrow evening. I actually know someone from Denver going to that Rockies home opener tommorrow. I never fancy any pitcher going in Coors Field...

Nah and he's not the player he once was, I've just always liked him. Don't they use different baseballs up there now to counteract the effects of the altitude pressure on the ball? Still, definitely a hitters park.

By the way, this is what I see:

Capture-2.jpg

But thanks, I can see on other sites it's meant to be Sanchez. ;)

Nah and he's not the player he once was, I've just always liked him. Don't they use different baseballs up there now to counteract the effects of the altitude pressure on the ball? Still, definitely a hitters park.

By the way, this is what I see:

Capture-2.jpg

But thanks, I can see on other sites it's meant to be Sanchez. ;)
    Your probably wishing its Zambrano though ;)

I dunno about using different baseballs there. I remember Jaime Garcia getting tonked for 12 runs last season when he was on my fantasy team last year :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

It's been a good few days for watching baseball and will finish it off with the Phillies Marlins this evening. As a Mets fan I should be rooting against the Phillies but I think I hate the Marlins more this year (how dare they take our Reyes!) so that's going to feel strange.

• Advertisement

They're both only keeping the seat warm until Drew Storen comes back off the DL.

The Nats have a great bullpen by the way.
    I'm just reading there that Storen is going to have his elbow examined by Dr James Andrews. This does not look to be good news for him or the Nats...

Followed by Barry Zito and the Giants. Can't wait.

Stellar performance from Zito!

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭UCD AFC

Finally the Sox get a win, helped by 2 runs in the ninth and Aceves picking up a 1-2-3 save

A couple of good matchups in the early games tmw. Shields and Verlander going for the Rays and Tigers and Santana and Strasburg going in the Mets/Nationals game.

Ozzie suspended by the Marlins for 5 games for his comments about Castro. I loved his explanation.

It was quoted that he had said that he loves Castro and respects him for staying in power so long. However he claims he was misquoted and what he actually said was the he couldn't believe somebody who hurt so many people over the years was still alive. Priceless!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭MMD

Sox finally win last night thanks to Dustin...roll on Fenway saturday :D:D:D

A couple of good matchups in the early games tmw. Shields and Verlander going for the Rays and Tigers and Santana and Strasburg going in the Mets/Nationals game.

There's a load of good pitchers throwing tomorrow. Who do I bet on??

• Registered Users Posts: 11 hurst10

How about those Twins? Great comeback yesterday…anybody see the game?

Matt Cain was a hit by a pitcher away from a perfect game today. If he pitches like that on a regular basis he might be worth the big contract he just signed...

Looks like another closer is heading for Tommy John surgery. Brian Wilson is getting getting a second opinion but it does not look good for him...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭cena

How come the games start early some days.one was live on espn at 4 today.

Looks like another closer is heading for Tommy John surgery. Brian Wilson is getting getting a second opinion but it does not look good for him...

That's a pity. While I think he's overdone the 'extravagance' thing now, he is one of the better characters in the game so it's sad to see him out for so long. I don't know much about the SF bullpen but on Baseball Tonight yesterday they were saying they have a couple of guys who can step up but we'll have to see.

Anyone see the 'triple play' in the Dodgers v Padres game last night. The Padres definitely can feel cheated. And Larry Vanover had his elastic strike zone back in action today for the Rays v Red Sox game. I know you're never going to get all ball/strike calls right but the ones missed in the last at bat were so far off the plate. The only reason the umpire's name rang a bell with me because hes the same guy who was calling loads of dubious 3rd strikes in a game I watched last week.

cena wrote: »
    Today was Patriots day in Massachusetts and the Red Sox traditionally play at home and have a early start. Think its to coincide with the finish of the Boston marathon. Usually midweek afternoon games are played as getaway days where the visiting teams wraps up a series and heads to the next city or home. Sometimes the home team is heading off on the road aswell...
    Anyone see the 'triple play' in the Dodgers v Padres game last night. The Padres definitely can feel cheated. And Larry Vanover had his elastic strike zone back in action today for the Rays v Red Sox game. I know you're never going to get all ball/strike calls right but the ones missed in the last at bat were so far off the plate. The only reason the umpire's name rang a bell with me because hes the same guy who was calling loads of dubious 3rd strikes in a game I watched last week.
    Was watching that Dodgers game yesterday but missed the triple play as the game had gone on long enough and couldn't wait up any longer. Kemp with some help from Ethier are carrying the Dodgers at the moment.

Seen that last out earlier aswell. The Red Sox had every right to be aggrieved. I was surprised they didnt have the Youk pinch hit there if he was available. Probably wouldn't have mattered giving the umpires calls...

• Registered Users Posts: 39 gciddy

That's a pity. While I think he's overdone the 'extravagance' thing now, he is one of the better characters in the game so it's sad to see him out for so long. I don't know much about the SF bullpen but on Baseball Tonight yesterday they were saying they have a couple of guys who can step up but we'll have to see.

I had to go onto mlb.com to look at that triple-play. I would feel cheated if I were the Padres or even a fan of the team. That was almost a hit-by-pitch situation, if it wasn't for the fact he was bunting. Crazy stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 gciddy

cena wrote: »

Look out! An early game today as well.. Cubs @ Miami starts around 5pm. Go Cubbies!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

White Sox pitcher Philip Humber with a perfect game through 7 innings.

padraig_f wrote: »
    White Sox pitcher Philip Humber with a perfect game through 7 innings.

Through 8 now....3 to go....had it on since the 6th, stick it on! He's throwing some great stuff.

Through 8 now....3 to go....had it on since the 6th, stick it on! He's throwing some great stuff.
    Yea, he must be only 79 pitches thrown. I better go find a stream for this...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

When did Bobby Valentine sign as manager for the Red Soxs? Must have only keen a couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭the_big_shmoke

need a baseball team to support! startin watching mlb a bit last year and to my surprise i enjoyed it!!

anyways, i support the bears in nfl but at the same time have no particular connection to chicago.

any suggestions??

Yea, he must be only 79 pitches thrown. I better go find a stream for this...

The poor guy, the camera keeps zooming in on him on the bench. I reckon the rest of the team are scared of saying anything to him, it's such a weird situation.

ESPN America is going to it now I think....

Here we go....24 up 24 down, bottom 3 of the order to go.... :eek:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

1 out away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Perfect game, perfect game

My first season watching baseball and that was incredible

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

What a way to wrap it up too. Great pitching.

Advertisement