Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MLB: 2012 Season Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭BigFatGiant

Coeus wrote: »
    Its win or go home for the bay area teams tonight!

Great win for Oakland. Super catch by Coco Crisp to rob Fielder of a HR.
    http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?topic_id=38304104&content_id=25368881

I don't know how SF got through with a win last night but I'm glad they did. The offense needs to wake up was shocking last night again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

4 games today. Should be good!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

I wonder if the Nats are starting to regret shutting down Stras. They were in a great position to win this season with him as their ace. Now they are in a bit of a hole against a team who are heating up and cant turn to their best active pitcher until game 5 (if that happens). There are no guarantees they make playoffs next season either. A team has to play for now, just look what the As doing...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

RRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUULLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Raul Ibanez and Coco Crisp the heros.

Oakland's win upsets what was shaping up for Detroit's pitching in game 1 of the division series. Verlander pitching game 5.

Reds and Giants starting on ESPN America now.
    Some serious relief pitching by Tim Linchicum yesterday, back to something resembling what he can do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭BigFatGiant

Delighted with that. First NL team to come back from 2-0 down. Reds really blew it in game 3. Nice grand slam from Posey today!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Shocking all the empty seats at Yankee stadium for such a big game. Not helping that they put it on at 5pm on a Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭brilliantboy

padraig_f wrote: »
    Shocking all the empty seats at Yankee stadium for such a big game. Not helping that they put it on at 5pm on a Friday.

I didn't even notice until you said but yeah there is quite a few!

I read this morning that there were 16,000 tickets for today's game on stub hub this morning

Well that's a lie if it's about the Yankees game cause there was only 12,000 available last night as soon as the game ended cause I was only going to go!

• Advertisement

kmart6 wrote: »
    Well that's a lie if it's about the Yankees game cause there was only 12,000 available last night as soon as the game ended cause I was only going to go!
    Maybe more people put theirs up for sale overnight?

I read it in USA Today I think but I'd imagine the number was probably exaggerate for effect. I'd say the reality is that the actual number is somewhere in between the two.

Maybe, maybe not! All I know is straight away the numbers of available started to drop straight away! Didn't look this morning cause it really is too cold today to sit there for a few hours!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

I checked for tickets today around 1 or 2 and there was 11,000 left. Cold or not, I would be sitting there if I was still in New York.

The start time is awkward for a city where everyone works.

Meh I was getting skinned alive earlier and was there last week so wasnt too pushed, taking the chance they'll win and go tomorrow evening!

CC got himself out of a spot there!

Get in!

People questioned how good CC is anymore, and with good reason but hasn't he answered all them questions in the Post Season. He did great. Fitting that he got to throw to first base for the last out. First career complete game too.

Great season from Baltimore, surprised everyone and really could have knocked the Yankees out.

Lets see will the Yankees bats come to life against the Tigers. What a big decision benching A-Rod was for Girardi. Granderson was shocking through the series, as was Swisher. Granderson hit a Home Run tonight so he makes up for it a bit, while Swisher was still brutal.

I'm a Yankee fan but my money is on the Tigers. The Yankees are a Home Run team, you're not going to hit many Home Run's off Verlander. I just cannot see a team where half the lineup is struggling to hit get past anyone at this stage of the season.

Nationals threw that away!!

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Hamlet.

MoyVilla9 wrote: »
    People questioned how good CC is anymore, and with good reason but hasn't he answered all them questions in the Post Season. He did great. Fitting that he got to throw to first base for the last out. First career complete game too.

Great season from Baltimore, surprised everyone and really could have knocked the Yankees out.

Lets see will the Yankees bats come to life against the Tigers. What a big decision benching A-Rod was for Girardi. Granderson was shocking through the series, as was Swisher. Granderson hit a Home Run tonight so he makes up for it a bit, while Swisher was still brutal.

I'm a Yankee fan but my money is on the Tigers. The Yankees are a Home Run team, you're not going to hit many Home Run's off Verlander. I just cannot see a team where half the lineup is struggling to hit get past anyone at this stage of the season.

I think it was the wrong decision to drop A-Rod tbh. What exactly has Chavez done to deserve a spot at 3b ahead of him? Not one hit himself this series and he's an inferior fielder. Much wiser to keep faith in A-Rod as if he was to hit form then he will be huge, Chavez is average at his best. A-Rod's confidence must be shattered now and Girardi has only got away with his decision for now.

Cano's form in the series was most worrying I think, he's been the star lately and really struggled. He'll have to pick it up if the Yankees want to get past Detroit.

I still give the very slight edge to the Yankees. Yes they've some poor performers atm (Swisher has been just dreadful especially) but they have more firepower and more experience. Yes Verlander is pitching unreal right now but CC is pitching just as well. Bit of a toss up this series but I think the Yankees have the more clutch performers.

How good has Jeter been this year btw? Just amazing and no sign of stopping. Mr. October.

Hamlet. wrote: »
    I think it was the wrong decision to drop A-Rod tbh. What exactly has Chavez done to deserve a spot at 3b ahead of him? Not one hit himself this series and he's an inferior fielder. Much wiser to keep faith in A-Rod as if he was to hit form then he will be huge, Chavez is average at his best. A-Rod's confidence must be shattered now and Girardi has only got away with his decision for now.

Cano's form in the series was most worrying I think, he's been the star lately and really struggled. He'll have to pick it up if the Yankees want to get past Detroit.

I still give the very slight edge to the Yankees. Yes they've some poor performers atm (Swisher has been just dreadful especially) but they have more firepower and more experience. Yes Verlander is pitching unreal right now but CC is pitching just as well. Bit of a toss up this series but I think the Yankees have the more clutch performers.

How good has Jeter been this year btw? Just amazing and no sign of stopping. Mr. October.

The way I see it is that it's not what Chavez has done, but more about what A-Rod has not done. He was 0-11 versus Right Handers with 9 strikeouts. That's a liability. If Chavez can at least hit into a Ground Out he might move a runner up. It's true that he is an average player but does an average player not get the nod ahead of a player who is playing that poorly?
    It's a hard decision to make. I would probably have him in the team for his fielding ability, but have him down in the Line-Up.

Swisher is a bigger problem if you ask me. He is nearly an automatic out. Now he deserves to be benched. Ichiro can play Right Field, and play Ibanez or Gardner in Left.

Nunez has been left off the roster and replaced by Eppley. Not sure what to make off that, he is a good option for DH.

Jeter is amazing. Don't write off 4,000 hits.

• Advertisement

The way I see it is that it's not what Chavez has done, but more about what A-Rod has not done. He was 0-11 versus Right Handers with 9 strikeouts. That's a liability. If Chavez can at least hit into a Ground Out he might move a runner up. It's true that he is an average player but does an average player not get the nod ahead of a player who is playing that poorly?
    It's a hard decision to make. I would probably have him in the team for his fielding ability, but have him down in the Line-Up.

Swisher is a bigger problem if you ask me. He is nearly an automatic out. Now he deserves to be benched. Ichiro can play Right Field, and play Ibanez or Gardner in Left.

Nunez has been left off the roster and replaced by Eppley. Not sure what to make off that, he is a good option for DH.

Jeter is amazing. Don't write off 4,000 hits.

Yeah, having him bat 3rd the other night was crazy. I'd have him down the lineup too.

Swisher has been horrible, his stats with runners in scoring position is horrendously bad. He is a good fielder though but I think he's running out of time now, if he doesn't deliver tonight or at the latest tomorrow he'll be dropped.

Can't wait for tonight now. Best of 7 series. Real baseball.

Let's go Yankees!

Yeah, having him bat 3rd the other night was crazy. I'd have him down the lineup too.

Swisher has been horrible, his stats with runners in scoring position is horrendously bad. He is a good fielder though but I think he's running out of time now, if he doesn't deliver tonight or at the latest tomorrow he'll be dropped.

Can't wait for tonight now. Best of 7 series. Real baseball.

Let's go Yankees!

A-Rod batting 6th tonight, the right decision.

Kuroda will pitch tomorrow on three day rest for the first time in his career on three day rest. Hughes in against Verlander on Game 3. CC in Game 4.

Prediction:
    Pettitte win (1-0)
    Kuroda loss (1-1)
    Hughes loss (1-2)
    CC win (2-2)

After 4 games I reckon it will be tied. Anything can happen then.

A-Rod batting 6th tonight, the right decision.

Kuroda will pitch tomorrow on three day rest for the first time in his career on three day rest. Hughes in against Verlander on Game 3. CC in Game 4.

Prediction:
    Pettitte win (1-0)
    Kuroda loss (1-1)
    Hughes loss (1-2)
    CC win (2-2)

After 4 games I reckon it will be tied. Anything can happen then.

Game 3 looks grim.

Game 3 looks grim.

The Yankees are basically conceding it and not wasting their ace on a game which can go either way. If it goes the distance it will be CC vs Verlander in Game 7. Now that would be something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

It was great that all 4 division series went to deciding games.

Nats really threw it away but the guys at MLB poured more salt on that wound today...
    http://www.natsenquirer.com/2012/10/nationals-fans-receive-world-series-ticket-offer-email-saturday.html

I think both LCS will be close aswell. Not long now til first pitch :)

Get the F in Raul....just lost it here!

Emotions just after that loss?

What a ****ing wasted opportunity.

Nick Swisher is done. I don't care if he goes 5/5 tomorrow, he will not produce when needed. We'll win tomorrow because Sanchez can't pitch vs the Yankees.

Cano? Disgusting at bats, looks lost, needs a kick up his arse.

Girardi? No balls. Either pick A-Rod or Chavez and stick with them. Stop being gutless and pick a side. Doing neither any good dropping both.

Game 2 and game 4 are effectively elimination games now. Some of these guys SHOULD be playing for their Yankees careers now. (Their big contracts really)

Wow crazy result in the end!

Sick of all the crap on A-Rod when Swish, Cano and Granderson aren't doing much better! Lose tomorrow and it's season over!

Jeter out for the season. Depressing night :(
    kmart6 wrote: »
    Wow crazy result in the end!

Sick of all the crap on A-Rod when Swish, Cano and Granderson aren't doing much better! Lose tomorrow and it's season over!

Absolutely mate, all as bad as each other. They all need to grow a pair of balls and do it for their captain now.

Win game 2 boys.

• Advertisement

Looking at it, it did not look like a fractured ankle, couldn't believe when I heard the reports!

Everyone really needs to step up now....if not bye bye any chance of winning it!

Advertisement