Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MLB: 2012 Season Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

Detroit win tonight and it's all level in the Central. The Tigers have been struggling for more of the season but they're coming straight back into it. On paper it looks like the White Sox have a tougher run in too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

MoyVilla9 wrote: »
    Detroit win tonight and it's all level in the Central. The Tigers have been struggling for more of the season but they're coming straight back into it. On paper it looks like the White Sox have a tougher run in too.

Two average teams that will probably end up with less wins than a couple of teams that will miss out. But as its all about getting hot at the right time, whichever team wins out will have just as good a chance as the Yankees or Rangers etc. and anything could happen. I'd love to see them tied after 162 though

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭BigFatGiant

So with still a week of regular season games to go the NL playoff spots seem to be sorted. Can't see Dodgers or Brewers catching up to StL. It will be disappointing to see Baltimore or Oakland miss out after both having good seasons in AL with poorer teams like Detroit or Chicago getting through. My prediction is for a replay of 2010 with a SF vs Texas world series.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

MoyVilla9 wrote: »

White Sox have the tougher run for sure. Starting a 4 game series tonight at home to Tampa Bay.
    white Sox have struggled with teams in their own division, even those well below them.

All playoff games included. No blackout restrictions either

I was reading the forums and look at this:

Postseason Live Blackout: Due to Major League Baseball exclusivities, during the MLB Postseason, all live games will be blacked out in the United States (including the territories of Guam and the U.S. Virgin Islands) and Canada. If you are an MLB.TV Premium Subscriber outside of the United States and Canada, each of these games will be available as an archived game as soon as possible after the conclusion of the applicable game. If you are an MLB.TV Premium Subscriber within the United States or Canada or an MLB.TV subscriber in any territory, each of these games will be available as an archived game approximately 90 minutes after the conclusion of the applicable game.

Postseason.TV: Subscribers to Postseason.TV, available only during the MLB Postseason, will be able to view live alternative video feeds (excluding the broadcast feed) from MLB Postseason games without blackout restrictions.

Live Audio of those games subject to the blackout restrictions reflected above is available as part of any MLB.TV subscription, as part of MLB.com Gameday Audio.

I'm confused what actual is happening once the Postseason comes around.

• Advertisement

That page does confuse things, especially when about just below it, it says

"OUTSIDE THE U.S. AND CANADA

No blackout restrictions apply."

All I can say is though that last year and the year before, there were definitely no blackouts over here and I'd say it'll be the same this year. We'll find out in a few days I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Orioles & Yankees tied for the AL East

If they finish on a tie they play a one off tiebreaker

Game to be held in Baltimore as they have the better divisional record

What a finish!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Benimar

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Orioles & Yankees tied for the AL East

If they finish on a tie they play a one off tiebreaker

Game to be held in Baltimore as they have the better divisional record

What a finish!

The funny thing is, The O's are 3-6 at home to the Yankees but 6-3 at Yankee stadium. A case of home field dis-advantage?!!

Benimar wrote: »
    The funny thing is, The O's are 3-6 at home to the Yankees but 6-3 at Yankee stadium. A case of home field dis-advantage?!!

When the stadium is packed to the rafters with your own fans, in a game where every at bat really, really matters it will be a big advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

How good do people think Kris Medlen can be?
    You can't argue with his current stats.
    Do people think he won't find his form again come next season or will he be in and around as good just with a tiny of regression (no one can keep up that sort of form).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

The A's Clinch!

If they win the next two games they win the division.

Masked Man wrote: »
    The A's Clinch!

If they win the next two games they win the division.

Down to game 162 now. And tonight's game is on at a reasonable hour. Great stuff!

Lets hope we get a game 163 in the ALE as well.

Who wins MVP this year? If Miggy gets the Triple Crown he has to be a lock, no matter how good Trout is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Who wins MVP this year? If Miggy gets the Triple Crown he has to be a lock, no matter how good Trout is.

It's hard to deny him it after getting triple crown, but personally, I feel a debut season likes this and what Trout did for Angels is just out of this world.
    The problem with Miggy is he just did what he is capable of...Trout is a rookie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

Down to game 162 now. And tonight's game is on at a reasonable hour. Great stuff!

Lets hope we get a game 163 in the ALE as well.
    As v Rangers not on ESPN America from what I can see in their schedule for today. Hopefully they add it later...

I dunno if we can rely on the Red Sox to help force that extra game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Hi, I'm not up on the current tie-breaking situation but I was wondering which game would be the most "dramatic" to watch tonight?

On the surface it'd obviously be Oakland v Texas, but theoretically they could both still qualify regardless of the outcome. Is there any value in watching Baltimore v Tampa Bay?

I guess I'm wondering : if Baltimore lose tonight will the loser of Oakland/Texas still have a better w93 record and hence not be eliminated anyway?

Fairly sure the A's/Texas games will be done before Baltimore play. You should be able to watch both if you want.

All four teams have clinched a playoff spot, so nobody will be eliminated. Not sure what way the wildcard playoffs will go on tonight's results though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Fairly sure the A's/Texas games will be done before Baltimore play. You should be able to watch both if you want.

All four teams have clinched a playoff spot, so nobody will be eliminated. Not sure what way the wildcard playoffs will go on tonight's results though.

Thanks for that. I thought there was only 8 teams going to the post-season. Didn't realise it was 10.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Lovely to see the Marlins giving Adam Greenberg a chance last night :)

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/8455034/adam-greenberg-strikes-pinch-hit-appearance-miami-marlins

• Advertisement

Texas/A's game live on ESPN America tonight followed by Redsox/Yankees.
    Should be a good night of Baseball.

And I'm stuck going to dinner with the in-laws....!!!!! Hopefully there's decent 3G signal in the restaurant and I watch it on the phone.

It could work out that Detroit, who have one of the poorest regular season records might be nicely set up for the playoffs.

If it comes down to an extra game and then wild card game etc, Detroit could be in a decent spot by the fact that they'll be able to line up their pitchers as they want.

The extra wildcard spot has certainly added to the excitement.

Hidalgo wrote: »
    It could work out that Detroit, who have one of the poorest regular season records might be nicely set up for the playoffs.

If it comes down to an extra game and then wild card game etc, Detroit could be in a decent spot by the fact that they'll be able to line up their pitchers as they want.

The extra wildcard spot has certainly added to the excitement.

Coming into form now though which is what you want. Great 1-2 at the top of the rotation too so I'd say they fancy their chances alright

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

What are the tiebreaker scenarios for Baltimore if we lose tonight and are level with the loser of A's-Rangers for 1st wildcard spot? Who gets the home game? I'm pretty sure we have a losing record against both, and our run differential is horrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

It's fairly straightforward

If Baltimore win in Tampa tonight the wildcard comes to Camden Yards
    Doesn't matter what happens out west, if Baltimore win they get the home game

If Baltimore lose then they go to the loser of Oakland - Texas. That was your question

There is one other scenario:
    If Baltimore win and Yankees lose then they go to a one off playoff for the division
    Game to be held in Baltimore as they have a better record in the AL East

Lovely to see the Marlins giving Adam Greenberg a chance last night :)

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/8455034/adam-greenberg-strikes-pinch-hit-appearance-miami-marlins
    Tough his at bat was against Dickey, his knuckleball has been one of the hardest pitches to hit this year...

Rangers have a big inning early but the As are making a comeback have chased Dempster out of game already. They have the momentum :)

Exciting stuff between the A's and Rangers.

All down to the final few innings of the final game.
    Nice.

• Advertisement

Bandwagon fans out in force in Oakland . Usually only about 500 in the Coleseum.

Advertisement