Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MLB: 2012 Season Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

It's getting nice and tight in the AL East with Baltimore winning last night. I wonder are the Yanks worried yet? Hopefully Baltimore can take another one over the weekend and TB can get back in it as well and really make it interesting over the next 4 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

It's getting nice and tight in the AL East with Baltimore winning last night. I wonder are the Yanks worried yet? Hopefully Baltimore can take another one over the weekend and TB can get back in it as well and really make it interesting over the next 4 weeks
    Yea and last night was probably their toughest machup of the series going up against Kuroda. Injuries have hit Yanks and their lead has been wittled away. The remaining schedule is loaded with divisional matchups so plenty to play for.

What about those As, 7 wins in a row with +40 runs in differential...

Great game in St. Petersburg at the moment. Tampa Bay just gone 4-3 up in the bottom of the 8th. Much better than watching the Mets get beaten up by St. Louis!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I wonder what odds you'd have gotten on the Orioles to win their division at the start of the season?!

I love an underdog, will be cheering them on

mikemac1 wrote: »
    I wonder what odds you'd have gotten on the Orioles to win their division at the start of the season?!

I love an underdog, will be cheering them on

I'd love to see them do it too. So few big names on the team but they're still sticking in there. As they won today and as I type, the Rays have just beaten the Yankees so they're now only a game behind.

The AL East in September is going to be great!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

The AL East in September is going to be great!

Try telling a Jays fan that! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭brilliantboy

I'm confused. I can't tell if the Mariners have gotten better or everyone else has just gotten worse :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

http://www.fangraphs.com/not/index.php/i-cannot-use-this-website-to-explain-the-baltimore-orioles/
    Note: This post was composed on Friday; the numbers have changed since then, and quite possibly for the worse.
    I just wanted to take a minute to talk about this. I’ve spent some time on this website, looking at the many numbers. I’m no number-reading expert or anything, but I’m pretty sure that according to this website, the Baltimore Orioles are bad at baseball.
    There’s one number in particular, called Wins Above Replacement, that states very concisely how good a team is at baseball. The Orioles are the worst team in their division, and the second worst team in their league. Their hitters are the worst in all of baseball, when you consider the badness of their offense and the badness of their defense. Their pitchers are not quite as bad, but they are still bad.
    There are many leaderboards you can make on this website, and it is very hard to make one that has an Oriole on the first page. It is very hard to make a team leaderboard that has the Orioles in the top half of it. Very few of the Orioles are good, and the Orioles as a team are not good.

I could go on, but really I would rather not. The disregard with which this team has treated the basic order of baseball makes me feel deeply ill. I don’t care to know the sordid details, but evidently the Orioles and their leader, Buck Showalter, have mastered some sort of scheme in which they concentrate their sucking in a handful of horrible games and hoard their skill for the games in which it actually makes a difference. In my mind it is absolutely clear that this sort of thing — frankly, a performance enhancement system; let’s call it by its name — is as criminal, and as repugnant, as any steroid debacle or game-fixing scandal in the history of the sport. If left to continue, it threatens to shred the very fabric of professional baseball. I refuse to stand quietly by and watch this nightmare unfold. Those of you who are with me, speak now.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭TAlderson

Things get testy in Boston:

http://www.boston.com/sports/blogs/thebuzz/2012/09/bobby_valentine_3.html

This is clusterf*ck if ever there was one. And now that Liverpool is going downhill fast, I wonder what John Henry et al. will be doing in the next few months.

-Tyler

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

Does MLB.tv have the Postseason or do you have to buy a separate package?

• Advertisement

MoyVilla9 wrote: »
    Does MLB.tv have the Postseason or do you have to buy a separate package?

All playoff games included. No blackout restrictions either

All playoff games included. No blackout restrictions either

Beautiful!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 dubliner 2

TAlderson wrote: »
    Things get testy in Boston:

http://www.boston.com/sports/blogs/thebuzz/2012/09/bobby_valentine_3.html

This is clusterf*ck if ever there was one. And now that Liverpool is going downhill fast, I wonder what John Henry et al. will be doing in the next few months.

-Tyler

I can tell you what they shouldn't have done two years ago.

Not bought Liverpool and left Carl Crawford and Lackey go elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭muppet_man

So AL East tied again last night who do you think will finish on top?
    If I wasn't a Yankee I would of liked to see Baltimore just 'cos of the financial clout they're up against in the division.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 dubliner 2

muppet_man wrote: »
    If I wasn't a Yankee I would of liked to see Baltimore just 'cos of the financial clout they're up against in the division.

Total toss up. Yanks, Baltimore or Rays. Depens how much the Sox beat the three of them over the last twenty games or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭BigFatGiant

muppet_man wrote: »

Its good to see Baltimore making a real race of it. Tampa Bay not out of it either only 2 games back so should be an interesting finish. The 3 AL divisions could still be up for grabs, possibly the A's have too much to do to catch Texas. All NL divisions look over (hopefully NL west anyway!) with only 20'ish games to go. I think the Phillies might still have something to say in the NL wild card. Only 4 games back now Cards and LA slowing down and Phillies after winning 6 in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

The A's are only 3 games behind the Rangers. With the incredibly low expectations that the A's had coming into the season (2015 or bust!) a wild card would be amazing.

Plus AL wild card is where the action is this season, 6 teams within 5 games of each other. Hopefully the A's and Baltimore get it.

The regular season is not even over yet and MLB have just released the each teams schedule for 2013...
    http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120912&content_id=38287660&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

Coeus wrote: »
    The regular season is not even over yet and MLB have just released the each teams schedule for 2013...
    http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120912&content_id=38287660&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

It's gas isn't it. I like it though. Gives me plenty of time to plan a trip over next season. I missed out this season so hopefully I'll get to go next year.

On a separate note, here come the Phillies. Hands up if you had them written off a month ago (mine is up)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Big game in the AL Central race tonight, where whoever comes second probably won't get a wild card. Tigers play the White Sox for the last time this season, and a win for Detroit will tie it up. Nice pitching showdown as well with Justin Verlander going up against Chris Sale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

It's gas isn't it. I like it though. Gives me plenty of time to plan a trip over next season. I missed out this season so hopefully I'll get to go next year.

On a separate note, here come the Phillies. Hands up if you had them written off a month ago (mine is up)

Just saw they are only 3 gmaes behind? thats madness....
    they were 15 behind during the trade deadline...

edit: 15 behind division leaders I mean. Wild card maybe not.

Yea, I definately like it. I'll be heading to the west coast next year for certain and maybe the east coast aswell and hope to get a few games in.

They had written themselves off but nobody seems to want that final NL wild card spot so they are almost back in it and have the pitching to win plenty of games down the stretch.

Baltimore win in a walk off, again. Is that the end for the Rays? Is 4 games too much to come back from at this stage considering the form Baltimore is in and the traditional strength of the Yankees? Huge series in New York coming up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

The 13th inning with Archer getting into a zero outs, bases loaded jam was great!! struck out a fella going 3-0 down in the count. Real exciting stuff!

We got to see some actual tactics, 5 infielders, no left field!

I suppose all games mean so much, the Rays knew how important it was not to lose, we might not have seen these tactics deployed otherwise.

I can there being a few changes before the end of the month. it might end up the same but I can see a team coming in, then going back out again etc. It's going to be a great last couple of weeks.

Seattle and Baltimore having a real hum dinger. Into the 18th inning heading for 1am over there.

Seattle and Baltimore having a real hum dinger. Into the 18th inning heading for 1am over there.

I had baseball on my commute into college today! 13th to 18th inning. Perfect.

White Sox trying to blow it or what?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Not really a thread starter but a former owner of the Pirares Kevin McClatchy announced he was gay to the New York Times in an interview today. The fact that he was gay isn't a big deal, however it's shocking that he was pretty much left without a choice but to hide his sexuality because of the anti gay culture in baseball. Not exactly inspiring for anyone young players who are in the same boat.

Its sickening that that kinda stuff still goes on in major league sports in modern times.

Advertisement