Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MLB: 2012 Season Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

Go A's!!! The Rangers have really collapsed over the last week and were a mess today...

A's will be battle hardened after this series, have momentum and the Coliseum will be a madhouse for the playoffs. They will not be an easy team to beat...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

pretty cool to look at the team salary table:
    2012 MLB Salaries by Team

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

padraig_f wrote: »
    pretty cool to look at the team salary table:
    2012 MLB Salaries by Team

Oakland 2nd last. Impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭BigBadRob83

Delighted for the A's. Will be supporting them in the postseason as my miserable Red Sox watch from home

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Coeus wrote: »
    Go A's!!! The Rangers have really collapsed over the last week and were a mess today...

A's will be battle hardened after this series, have momentum and the Coliseum will be a madhouse for the playoffs. They will not be an easy team to beat...

For sure. It's going to be hard for the rangers to lift themselves for the wildcard game V the Orioles. It's a surprise for both to be there, just surprising at different ends of the scale.

• Advertisement

kitakyushu wrote: »
    Oakland 2nd last. Impressive.
    One word 'Moneyball'...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

https://twitter.com/PatNeshek
    What a day, my wife is now in labor! #playoffbaby
    It's a boy Gehrig John Neshek...8 lbs 5 oz, born 10/2/12. Pat flew Oakland to FL just in time for birth! #playoffbaby pic.twitter.com/fZEaJRUV
    Please pray for my family. Tonight my wife & I lost our first & only son 23 hours after he was born with no explanation

Coaching casualty on the first day of the holidays for those not going to the playoffs.

Red Sox give Bobby Valentine the p45 according to espn.com.

That's Boston and Cleveland looking for new managers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Hidalgo wrote: »
    Coaching casualty on the first day of the holidays for those not going to the playoffs.

Red Sox give Bobby Valentine the p45 according to espn.com.

That's Boston and Cleveland looking for new managers.

And if it wasn't for the fact that he has 3 years left on Ossie's contract, you could probably expect Miami to be looking for a new manager too. Still might.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

That's Boston looking for a new manager.

They've already found one - his name is John Farrell. I'd bet my house on it. And I speak as a Jays fan. They want him and we're not that bothered, quite frankly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Job done at Boston for Valentine.

Friends from Boston told me that he was brought in to clear out the squad and reduce wage bill.

Given what went on all season, such as his outbursts and terrible form, and he didn't receive the sack until now, it looks to be like they were right.

And if it wasn't for the fact that he has 3 years left on Ossie's contract, you could probably expect Miami to be looking for a new manager too. Still might.
    I think he'll get the can, they should have been alot better but they signed up too many mercenaries.

I would think Jim Tracy will be lucky not to be fired, the Rockies were awful this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

Are people watching this? The officials have just made an In-Field Fly calling on a ball which is 70-100 feet outside the In-Field. One of the worst decisions I've seen made, and it comes in a 1 Game Playoff. Braves fans throwing bottles, cans, you name it onto the field. Delay.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭radharc

It's all kicking off in Atlanta, crowd going crazy and throwing rubbish all over the field after a crazy call against the Braves

I was just off to bed then this happened. Looks like I'm staying up now....

Hadn't heard of this rule before, just reading about it on wikipedia (Infield fly rule).

Looks a bit of a problematic rule, umpire has to decide the pretty vague term of "ordinary effort" very quickly. And seems like he got it wrong, ball was coming down between two players with neither being really under it.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭radharc

padraig_f wrote: »
    Hadn't heard of this rule before, just reading about it on wikipedia (Infield fly rule).

Looks a bit of a problematic rule, umpire has to decide the pretty vague term of "ordinary effort" very quickly. And seems like he got it wrong, ball was coming down between two players with neither being really under it.

The fact that it was deep into the outfield also doesn't hep considering they called an infield fly ball :D Crazy

radharc wrote: »
    The fact that it was deep into the outfield also doesn't hep considering they called an infield fly ball :D Crazy

Yeah could probably do with a name-change if that's the case. The fact that it's a judgment call probably means it can't be overturned.

Sucks, was gonna be a great situation....Braves down 3, bases loaded with 1 out. Was hoping they'd still get the hit afterwards.

Not a good start for the new single-game wildcard playoff.

Serious excitement in the Braves game, although not what the officials were hoping. I'd never heard of that rule before last night.

Is it one that comes into play often??

Great pitching/defence by the O's. Texas highlighted the importance of momentum going into the playoffs, or lack of in their case

• Advertisement

Serious excitement in the Braves game, although not what the officials were hoping. I'd never heard of that rule before last night.

Is it one that comes into play often??

Great pitching/defence by the O's. Texas highlighted the importance of momentum going into the playoffs, or lack of in their case

While it wouldn't happen in every game it does happen quite a bit but in 99% of the cases the fielder catches the ball anyway so and you don't even notice it's happened. The commentator will say it but as the ball is caught you won't notice most of the time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

MoyVilla9 wrote: »
    Are people watching this? The officials have just made an In-Field Fly calling on a ball which is 70-100 feet outside the In-Field. One of the worst decisions I've seen made, and it comes in a 1 Game Playoff. Braves fans throwing bottles, cans, you name it onto the field. Delay.

They're calling it a judgement call; I'd call it a terrible error, as in mistake. Umpires should be but aren't, at all, held accountable. Yes, like officials in all sports, they make mistakes, but one like this, so fundamental to the game, is inexcusable imo.

Joe Posnanski has a decent blog on it today: Wild

Seems to me there's a bit of a problem with the rule, the "ordinary effort" part is so vague. If it's to guard against double-plays on purposely dropped balls, maybe an alternative is something like 'if it's called an infield fly, you can only make a single play'. Seems to me that it's giving a bit of a pass to the guy fielding the ball.

Line in the LA Times today summed it up for me - The Umps made an error, but the Braves made three.

The Braves were screwed over with the call, but what awful defensive play last night. It was like watching a team trying to self destruct. Exciting to watch albeit.

We got Irish PrimeTime postseason baseball today. Take advantage everyone.

MoyVilla9 wrote: »
    We got Irish PrimeTime postseason baseball today. Take advantage everyone.

Flicking between NFL, MLB and El Classico. Hard to keep track of everything but great evening of sport!

A's v Tigers is great so far

Flicking between NFL, MLB and El Classico. Hard to keep track of everything but great evening of sport!

A's v Tigers is great so far
    Milan derby is on aswell.

Quadruple header of playoff games is pretty sweet though :)

ESPNA just lost the signal. Have NFL on computer so bit of a dilemma as to what one to watch.

Edit- it's back now and only missed one man getting on base. Panic over

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭brilliantboy

I don't think I'll ever get tired of seeing this

ichirodance.gif

• Advertisement

Its win or go home for the bay area teams tonight!

Advertisement