Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MLB: 2012 Season Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭UCD AFC

Absolutely disgusted with Melky. I don't think 50 games is enough of a deterrent. It should be 2 full seasons minimum. Lincecum will probably have a stinker now to add the cherry on top!

I agreed with something I saw on twitter,

first offense 81 games, 2nd = lifetime ban

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

It takes some imagination to make something like that up. I'd put it up there with Alberto Contadors eating of tainted meat causing him to fail his doping test...

Perfect game alert...King Felix has one going through 7...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Felix Hernandez is perfect through 7 for the Mariners, and you can watch it as @MLBTV's Free Game of the Day.

Perfect through 8...the Rays are swinging at everything...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

padraig_f wrote: »
    Felix Hernandez is perfect through 7 for the Mariners, and you can watch it as @MLBTV';s Free Game of the Day.

Why do these no hitters/perfect games almost seem to be against the Rays?

I'm loving the crowd in yellow with the K signs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

K K K K K K K K K K K K K K K K K K K K K K K K

Sorry, just chanting along with the fans :)

What a great idea to give free T-shirts and signs and put them in a section

3 outs!

Boom...Perfect game no.23...Rays have been done for 3 of the last 6 perfectos...

Coeus wrote: »
    Boom...Perfect game no.23...Rays have been done for 3 of the last 6 perfectos...

Great to finally get to see one as it was happening live.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭UCD AFC

Damn, missed it. Hopefully ESPN show it over the next few days, think they did so with Humbers perfecto.

• Advertisement

UCD AFC wrote: »
    Damn, missed it. Hopefully ESPN show it over the next few days, think they did so with Humbers perfecto.
    They definately reshowed Cains perfect game. Not sure when they'll fit in over the next week since their upcoming schedule is showing alot of little league world series games. It wasn't the live game on either so doesn't look to be in todays repeats...

Speaking of ESPN America, the HD version is coming to UPC soon for those with a HD subscription :)

Coeus wrote: »

Speaking of ESPN America, the HD version is coming to UPC soon for those with a HD subscription :)

It was great to hear that. Apparently it's up and running now on channel 417. And you don't have to pay the extra tenner that you do to get the Sky Sports ones in HD

mikemac1 wrote: »
    143 years of baseball, 23 perfect games

But three this year

Is something changing in baseball to cause this spike?

Are we going to see more and more of these in future years?

Wasn't there 3 a couple of years back too? The same year Gallarago was robbed of one by Jim Joyce. Halladay had one and there was definitely at least one other that year too.

Speaking of Jim Joyce, he made RA Dickey take off bracelets that he's been wearing all season as apparently you're not allowed wear anything on your wrists. No other umpire in RA's 23 starts had a problem with them so it was strange that it became an issue last night. Then he gets hit all over the park. Coincidence? Were they the reason behind his great pitching and now he's like Samson after he got his hair cut?

I love conspiracy theories!!

It was great to hear that. Apparently it's up and running now on channel 417. And you don't have to pay the extra tenner that you do to get the Sky Sports ones in HD
    It wasn't there last night but I look forward to checking it out later. Yes unfortunately we'll have to fork out for the Sky Sports HD, I'm gonna pass until they offer all Sky Sports channels in HD. From what I read only SS1 and SS2 will be available in HD initially...
    Wasn't there 3 a couple of years back too? The same year Gallarago was robbed of one by Jim Joyce. Halladay had one and there was definitely at least one other that year too.
    There was 3 in 2010 if you include Galarragas perfecto ;) Halladay and Dallas Braden (against the Rays) threw the 2 official ones. Mark Beuhrle threw one (against the Rays) in 2009...

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭brilliantboy

Dallas Braden had one that year too (also against the Rays).

I think a lot things have to fall into place for there to be a no-hitter, pitcher on his game, offense off theirs, good defence, favourable weather conditions, even some luck with regards line drives right at people etc.
    I actually thought yesterday that Felix with the form he's in could no-hit the Rays after watching them struggle against Kevin Millwood the night before, even though I sit down to watch every Felix start expecting something special :rolleyes:

Felix actually threw a 2-hit shutout at Yankee stadium a couple of weeks ago that I reckon would have been a no-hitter against a lot of teams, and he had a 3-hit shutout against the Rangers earlier in the year. Maybe he was unfortunate to face two good teams on those days or maybe he pitched so well because he was facing good teams...

You do need a lot of luck alright to get a no hitter or perfect game. Remember Buehrle's one and the catch in the 9th? He was so close to losing that except for the amazing catch

Johan Santana needed a great play from Mike Baxter (and some dodgy umpiring!) for his no hitter too

You do need a lot of luck alright to get a no hitter or perfect game. Remember Buehrle's one and the catch in the 9th? He was so close to losing that except for the amazing catch

Johan Santana needed a great play from Mike Baxter (and some dodgy umpiring!) for his no hitter too
    And there was Gregor Blancos catch during Matt Cains perfect game.

Defences are alot better these days so more great plays and less errors increase the chances of getting a no hitter/perfect game.

Getting back to the Melky Cabrera thing, is the suspension a regular season suspension or does it carry over into the playoffs?

If last nights game was game 1, he has 49 left to miss but the Giants only have 44 games left this season. So does he miss the first 5 of next season or will he miss the first bit of the playoffs should SF get there?

Either way if the Giants get to the playoffs and win a bit, he'll be eligible to play again by the NLCS at the latest so what should the Giants do if they're there?

Would you put him in your playoff roster and play a man short for the games he misses? He'll be coming in cold though with no minor league games to get back into the swing of things so I don't know if it'd be worth it. The opposing fans will have a field day as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

It carries into post-season play.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,328 ✭✭✭✭8-10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Any Blue Jays fans still posting here, I know there used to be? I've never known them to have so many injuries! They're basically playing with minor leaguers now bar a couple in the line-up from Opening Day. We lost Drabek, Hutchinson, McGowan, Perez, Litsch, Morrow (due back), Santos and Frasor (due back) from pitchers, and as for position players - Arencibia, Bautista, Rasmus, Lawrie, Lind, and Escobar have all spent considerable time on the DL. Johnson has been playing 2nd most of the year with a dodgy hamstring, and even Encarnacion fell awkwardly the other night and is day to day. :eek: And our bullpen has been a mess. Can't remember so many coming up and down from AAA and AA. I think they broke a club record this year for pitchers used in a season.

We were right in a few weeks ago, close to 2nd wildcard - now well out of it, season's over. :(

Do you think Ryan Dempster actually did lose his passport or just didn't fancy getting shelled again so he made it up that he did?

http://www.nesn.com/2012/08/ryan-dempster-to-miss-start-in-toronto-reportedly-because-he-lost-his-passport.html

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭BigFatGiant

Are ESPN America taking the piss with all this little league and no mlb!

Are ESPN America taking the piss with all this little league and no mlb!

It's a total shambles. Who in their right mind wants to watch 12 year old kids play a watered down version of baseball? If I didn't have MLB.TV my head would be exploding.

I've heard all the arguments for it in previous years about it being a big tradition over in the States and they love over there but ESPN in America has a load of channels and it isn't shown at the expense of 'real' sports. The other argument was that ESPNA's contract only allows them show x numbers of MLB games a year but I'm sure most viewers would sacrifice a game or two in April/May/June if it meant games being shown at this time instead of the LLWS.

Would you watch 12 year olds play Football, GAA, Rugby etc? No, me neither so why the hell would I want to watch kids play baseball?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

It's a total shambles. Who in their right mind wants to watch 12 year old kids play a watered down version of baseball? If I didn't have MLB.TV my head would be exploding.

I've heard all the arguments for it in previous years about it being a big tradition over in the States and they love over there but ESPN in America has a load of channels and it isn't shown at the expense of 'real' sports. The other argument was that ESPNA's contract only allows them show x numbers of MLB games a year but I'm sure most viewers would sacrifice a game or two in April/May/June if it meant games being shown at this time instead of the LLWS.

Would you watch 12 year olds play Football, GAA, Rugby etc? No, me neither so why the hell would I want to watch kids play baseball?

And because the soccer season has started across Europe, ESPN (regular) can't cover the games like they did with some XGames thing on a few months back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

This is starting to become a massive story. What was he thinking? A fake website?

Did anyone see the Yankees-Red Sox last night? I was at it. Ichiro hit two HR's. He has really made an impact since switching over. There was discussion here about what he would do. Since the trade he is batting .322, compared to the .260 previously.

MoyVilla9 wrote: »
    This is starting to become a massive story. What was he thinking? A fake website?

Did anyone see the Yankees-Red Sox last night? I was at it. Ichiro hit two HR's. He has really made an impact since switching over. There was discussion here about what he would do. Since the trade he is batting .322, compared to the .260 previously.

You were there, that sounds cool. What's the reaction like in NY to Melky considering he was a Yankee for so many years? The tabloids there do love a scandal!

I heard Giraldi today saying that he expects more multi home run games from ichiro and that he is underrated as a power hitter because Seattle's park is so big.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

You were there, that sounds cool. What's the reaction like in NY to Melky considering he was a Yankee for so many years? The tabloids there do love a scandal!

I heard Giraldi today saying that he expects more multi home run games from ichiro and that he is underrated as a power hitter because Seattle's park is so big.

Well it was the Daily News that broke the story, and they are really latching onto it. Front page again today with coverage in the front and back of the paper.

Melky is out on his own, and I might be way off with judging public opinion but it really seems like people are starting to get pissed off with the drugs in baseball.
    Ryan Braun got away with because of a bull**** excuse and Melky tried this ridiculous stunt. If he ends up with the NL batting title, after people being pissed that Reyes left the last game of the season after one plate appearance....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Cracking finish to Mariners and Indians

5-3 Mariners, top of the ninth, bases loaded, one out and Mariners close it out with a double play

Mariners have won 13 out of 14 now and King Felix up tomorrow.
    On a great run

Advertisement