Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 2] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Yep, and the property tax comes in soon, all penalties from the charge will be rolled over.

Seriously not nit picking here.

But where is that info from?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Care to address the question I last posed to you?

It's been answered a number of times. We don't know for sure yet. There are two potential outcomes - either owed taxes and penalties are attached to your property - restricting sale or transfer of the property until those debts are cleared, or they'll garnish it in the same way the revenue already can. Either way, they'll be very keen to get their hands on the dosh, and ensure the mechanisms to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,492 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Yep, and the property tax comes in soon, all penalties from the charge will be rolled over.

A bit like the lotto. I might win something. Oops I have no ticket for that draw.

:rolleyes:
    It's at 790,000 now according to RTE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    If he didn't pay the charge for two years it would be less than €200 on top of the €100. Hardly huge.
    It isn't.
    But what's the point in paying the extra; this is a zero sum game - the No side need to defeat it or they will be forced to pay it. If its still in place in two years, then the tax will stand.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Ghandee wrote: »
    Seriously not nit picking here.

But where is that info from?

Nowhere, just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,060 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

For those who have already paid up; and feel bad for doing it. You can always just pretend that you haven't paid.. and make them spend waste your contribution on finding out.

Keep saying here that you haven't paid the charge. They will surely resort to seeking Section 8's on the site and investigating such seditious incitements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Kenny admits some pledges were not delivered including action on the upward only rents. Unless they something about the domestic economy even the house tax proposed for 2013-2014 won't save this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

dvpower wrote: »
    It isn't.
    But what's the point in paying the extra; this is a zero sum game - the No side need to defeat it or they will be forced to pay it. If its still in place in two years, then the tax will stand.

The no side? Some of the no side are the governments best mates. On the NAMA dole, declared ''bankrupt'' in England and rolling around in cash in Spain and Portugal.

How many of the governments mates are on the no side?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

Just looking at the "official figures" from a couple of hours ago on breaking news, seems to me anyway that some of the figures are just being made up to bolster the numbers. BTW I did not pay and dont know anyone that has paid so I am quite suspicious of the figures being stated in the media and until I see actual figures I wont believe them to be true. A quote from the article:

"Total amount Received online and post processed by bureau: €58,713,600

Processed Online: 87%

Processed by Bureau: 13%

Total number of properties registered online and processed by bureau: 587,136 (seems legit)

Approx Postal applications on hand at the bureau to be processed: 89,000
    (seems made up)
    Properties registered for a waiver as 14.00 today: 12,677 (seems legit)

Estimated tallies received from local authorities regarding registrations on hand in offices: 82,167 (seems made up)

Total Estimated Properties registered: 770,980"

Read more: http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/official-figures-show-more-than-770k-register-for-household-charge-545767.html#idc-cover#ixzz1qjWE3mLj

• Advertisement

If he didn't pay the charge for two years it would be less than €200 on top of the €100. Hardly huge.

Plus whatever penalties accrue from late penalties in year two. It'll snowball quick enough.

squod wrote: »
    The no side? Some of the no side are the governments best mates. On the NAMA dole, declared ''bankrupt'' in England and rolling around in cash in Spain and Portugal.

How many of the governments mates are on the no side?
    The make up of the no side isn't relevant to the point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

The make up of the no side isn't relevant to the point.

Bluddy is if Hogan isn't asking his mates to pay. How the helll is Hogan going to afford it himself in four years time when he's taking home €198/week from the scratcher.

Bluddy is if Hogan isn't asking his mates to pay. How the helll is Hogan going to afford it himself in four years time when he's taking home €198/week from the scratcher.
    What are you on about? :confused:

alastair wrote: »
    Plus whatever penalties accrue from late penalties in year two. It'll snowball quick enough.

I'm sure those who haven't paid are quaking in their booths. In two years time the whole landscape could be completely different. As soon as this government starts to tackle the real issue of public expenditure expect to see some fractures in the coalition. Labour will be under serious pressure to protect the public sector from further necessary cuts required by the Troyka.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Before his guaranteed pension I presume?

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

Other - tenant so not liable, but if I were a homeowner I'd be €100 better off than some other homeowners. I don't think it's at all fair to tax homeowners - tax everyone or no-one, but don't pick out people because you mistakenly think that owning a home makes them more able to pay it.

But aren't the unoccupied houses also liable for the charge?

It seems some are, and some aren't. If they 'form part of the trading stock of a business and they have never being lived in', they aren't, and if they're part of the ghost estate / unfinished estate collection, they don't either.

The official total that the govt are working towards is 1.65 million properties. That's been pretty widely reported. Whether it's accurate is another matter. There's a good summantion of the variables here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

You seem to miss a couple of pertinent points:

1. It is indeed the law of the land. And a law introduced by a legitimate and democratically mandated government.

2. Unlike the poll tax, this tax is fair and enforceable. Just like the rates that poll tax attempted to replace.

3. I never urged anyone to pay on the basis of the tax being the law. I pointed out that it was lawful, unlike claims made by some others. I made clear that my support of the tax was on the basis of the good it would do.

You have said ignorance of the law is not an excuse not to pay this property tax. Yet believing the poll tax was unfair was a good enough excuse for you not to pay? That seems very hypocritical to me.

You could feel the poll tax was unfair, but its perfectly fair to tax a person on a negative equity liability property, and their unfairness belief is wrong according to you.

And your reply to your hypocritical stance being pointed out is "Aww diddums"

I'm sure those who haven't paid are quaking in their booths. In two years time the whole landscape could be completely different. As soon as this government starts to tackle the real issue of public expenditure expect to see some fractures in the coalition. Labour will be under serious pressure to protect the public sector from further necessary cuts required by the Troyka.
    Your analysis is that Labour will buckle at the prospect of cuts in expenditure and the outcome will be less, not more taxes?

And who takes over after that in your story?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Sionach

Oh no. I forgot to pay. Ah well. I'm sure the bankers will sleep easy knowing that nearly half of the population registered. How many paid is another issue.

Dream on. We'll still be in hock to the troika - who we've committed to introduce property tax to. FG, FF, Labour are all supportive of property taxes, and there's the pragmatic reality that it's hard to shake off existing taxation that you actually need to keep going.

robbie7730 wrote: »
    You have said ignorance of the law is not an excuse not to pay this property tax. Yet believing the poll tax was unfair was a good enough excuse for you not to pay? That seems very hypocritical to me.

You could feel the poll tax was unfair, but its perfectly fair to tax a person on a negative equity liability property, and their unfairness belief is wrong according to you.

And your reply to your hypocritical stance being pointed out is "Aww diddums"

I never declared ignorance of the law in relation to the poll tax - quite the opposite. I was well aware of the law.

Yes - the poll tax was unfair, unlike this tax.

Accusing me of hypocrisy doesn't actually make me a hypocrite - it's just more name-calling.

Sionach wrote: »
    Oh no. I forgot to pay.
    Don't worry - you've got nearly 40 minutes left, but I'm sure if you filled in a form in the morning, post dated it, and sent it in, you'd probably be OK.

Your analysis is that Labour will buckle at the prospect of cuts in expenditure and the outcome will be less, not more taxes?

And who takes over after that in your story?

The IMF. It's a pity they are not already in running the country.

Dream on. We'll still be in hock to the troika - who we've committed to introduce property tax to. FG, FF, Labour are all supportive of property taxes, and there's the pragmatic reality that it's hard to shake off existing taxation that you actually need to keep going.

Was that not a F.G. decision and nothing to do with the Troika at all ?

The IMF. It's a pity they are not already in running the country.
    wtf? :confused:
    They mandated this property tax

Your a tax evader and your on here preaching for others to pay their household charge here. You haven't a leg to stand on.

I never declared ignorance of the law in relation to the poll tax - quite the opposite. I was well aware of the law.

Yes - the poll tax was unfair, unlike this tax.

Accusing me of hypocrisy doesn't actually make me a hypocrite - it's just more name-calling.

Was that not a F.G. decision and nothing to do with the Troika at all ?

FF actually first broached it with the troika, but it's obviously an initiative that the troika want.

• Advertisement

wtf? :confused:
    They mandated this property tax

I'm not against the property tax. I'm against how it's going to be wasted.

They also mandated lowering social welfare, public sector wages and pensions. If they were in here they would have already tackled those.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement