Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 2] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Point out where i posted about it before then mr final analysis:pac:

The biggest hypocrite i have seen on boards yet.

Aww diddums. No hypocrisy here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

alastair wrote: »

So, admitting to non compliance of a tax that was law of the land you resided in at the time, yet urging us all to register and pay an unjust charge because it's 'law of the land' here is not hypocrisy?

Comical perhaps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Whatever the figures are, thats what they are. No one seems to have a definite answer.

So how come all the news channels quote %'s

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    The point is there is 2 million homes as calculated by the Census Board unless they have made a huge mistake. If there is 2 million homes where have the 400,000 gone? Even if they are unoccupied they are still owned by developers/banks/Nama.
    Is the figure of 1.6 million not the number who are liable to register for the charge, if not necessarily pay?

I'm sure someone can account for the anomaly. Until then I am sticking with a total of 1.6 million and will amuse myself by seeing if the "yes" side will hit 50% by midnight. It looks like it will be very close! (I was hoping to sate my competitive appetite with the Munster v Leinster game earlier but that was largely sh*te :()

• Registered Users Posts: 51,492 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

It's quite funny, given the amount of times they accused RTE/the Goverenment of massaging the figures.

Not to mention the scaremongering of the elderly into paying.
    BUT it seems to be ok to treat the elderly like that if you are a member of F.G. Not much different to someone mugging them or robbing their home.
    F.G. should really be ashamed of themselves threatening to jail people for standing up to their unjust tax. Just as criminal as F.F. were in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,060 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Care to address the question I last posed to you?
    So how exactly are they going to implement this further to what they already have done? You say that people won't be sent to jail, will you stand by that when the final straws have been clutched at, and the invariable threats of being sent to jail appear?

What are they going to do? Seriously.. recover it from source? If they do or even threaten to do so; then I'll stop paying and declaring myself liable to pay any other tax which is remotely possible to avoid.

I'm beyond giving a **** about the effect that has on everyone else, or on this joke of a republic.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I've just paid those cunts €100 and will be ringing up Kerry County Council on Monday morning so that I can make an appointment for one of the Healy-Rae inbreds to kiss my arse.

The point is there is 2 million homes as calculated by the Census Board unless they have made a huge mistake. If there is 2 million homes where have the 400,000 gone? Even if they are unoccupied they are still owned by developers/banks/Nama.

The census says 1.65 million privately occupied households. That's the figure that includes those liable to pay, and those exempted / with waivers. There's no mistake or mystery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Ghandee wrote: »
    So, admitting to non compliance of a tax that was law of the land you resided in at the time, yet urging us all to register and pay an unjust charge because it's 'law of the land' here is not hypocrisy?

Comical perhaps?

Surely you jest? Where was this admission?

lugha wrote: »
    Is the figure of 1.6 million not the number who are liable to register for the charge, if not necessarily pay?

I'm sure someone can account for the anomaly. Until then I am sticking with a total of 1.6 million and will amuse myself by seeing if the "yes" side will hit 50% by midnight. It looks like it will be very close! (I was hoping to sate my competitive appetite with the Munster v Leinster game earlier but that was largely sh*te :()

Jesus you are proving yourself to be a little tax lover with that statement.
    Want to pay mine ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I've just paid those cunts €100 and will be ringing up Kerry County Council on Monday morning so that I can make an appointment for one of the Healy-Rae inbreds to kiss my arse.
    That's a 'full service' council. :eek:

The census says 1.65 million privately occupied households. That's the figure that includes those liable to pay, and those exempted / with waivers. There's no mistake or mystery.

But aren't the unoccupied houses also liable for the charge?

Where in the household charge legislation did it say if a house is unoccupied they were exempt?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

So how come all the news channels quote %'s

Im not actually arguing against percentages though, or figures. Just saying if the census says there are 2 million houses, maybe there are. Thats all.

But aren't the unoccupied houses also liable for the charge?

That is my understanding as holiday homes which are unoccupied for large periods are liable to a €200 charge.

Comical perhaps?

You seem to miss a couple of pertinent points:

1. It is indeed the law of the land. And a law introduced by a legitimate and democratically mandated government.

2. Unlike the poll tax, this tax is fair and enforceable. Just like the rates that poll tax attempted to replace.

3. I never urged anyone to pay on the basis of the tax being the law. I pointed out that it was lawful, unlike claims made by some others. I made clear that my support of the tax was on the basis of the good it would do.

Surely you jest? Where was this admission?

Battery went dead on laptop bullseye, it's in the front sitting room charging now. I'm on my phone atm, but I'm serious.

Couldn't believe it myself I didn't know whether or not it was arrogance or stupidity at the time he revealed it.

You seem to miss a couple of pertinent points:

1. It is indeed the law of the land. And a law introduced by a legitimate and democratically mandated government.

2. Unlike the poll tax, this tax is fair and enforceable. Just like the rates that poll tax attempted to replace.

3. I never urged anyone to pay on the basis of the tax being the law. I pointed out that it was lawful, unlike claims made by some others. I made clear that my support of the tax was on the basis of the good it would do.

The "good it will do" will be in Germany and not here Alastair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Dubit10

Can afford to pay 100 euro but i'm no idiot, i know this is only a way of getting me to pay the big bucks later on down the line which i don't have.

House is in my name all the bills in my wifes. Good luck Mr. Hogan finding me and bringing me to court.

Street sweeper out in Dundalk all week according to my brother. He hadn't seen them for weeks. F.G. pulling out all the stops to try and convince people of the "services".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

Jesus you are proving yourself to be a little tax lover with that statement.
    Want to pay mine ?
    What statement exactly?
    And I though you were objecting in principle? Can't let someone else pay for you if that's the case.

Dubit10 wrote: »

House is in my name all the bills in my wifes. Good luck Mr. Hogan finding me and bringing me to court.

I'd be more worried about a huge tax liability building up on my home than a court appearance if I were you.

It's entirely up to you though.

lugha wrote: »
    What statement exactly?
    And I though you were objecting in principle? Can't let someone else pay for you if that's the case.

Well pay for a poor person then. There are plenty of them under this outfit.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Dubit10

I'd be more worried about a huge tax liability building up on my home than a court appearance if I were you.

That it is my friend and thank god we still have that choice in this nation. Won't be long before that's gone if the blueshirts get their way mind.

Street sweeper out in Dundalk all week according to my brother. He hadn't seen them for weeks. F.G. pulling out all the stops to try and convince people of the "services".

Christ, the Dundalk street sweeper has been released!

I prayed this day would never come.

If he didn't pay the charge for two years it would be less than €200 on top of the €100. Hardly huge.

Why?

It's called the household charge, not the household tax, as such, revenue are powerless to pursue you, and prob couldn't care less if truth be known.

Why?

It's called the household charge, not the household tax, as such, revenue are powerless to pursue you, and prob couldn't care less if truth be known.

Yep, and the property tax comes in soon, all penalties from the charge will be rolled over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

1.78 million homes............
    770,980 households have signed up either to pay for the €100 charge, or to get their waiver. That’s roughly half of the eligible households.

1.78million, divided by two......... eh?

• Advertisement

squod wrote: »
    1.78 million homes............

1.78million, divided by two......... eh?

It's at 790,000 now according to RTE.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement