Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 2] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

hondasam wrote: »
    Are we still talking about the Irish household charge?

No, alastairs avoidance of paying the poll tax in england before. He is a good laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

robbie7730 wrote: »
    No, alastairs avoidance of paying the poll tax in england before. He is a good laugh.

Yes well it's one rule for alastair and another for the rest of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

Some up to date info.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0331/breaking1.html

Almost 800,000 properties had been registered for the household charge by 11pm bringing to almost half the proportion of property owners who have paid.
    According to a statement from the Local Government Management Agency the charge has raised €61.5 million to date.
    Included in the 798,957 households deemed to have paid are 12,677 properties registered for waivers and 89,000 postal applications which have yet to be processed.
    Says it all really. Among those deemed to have paid are 12,677 registered for waivers, and 89,000 not yet processed, hence no-one has any idea how many of them will be registered for waivers.

61.5 million is 615,000 people who have paid by 00.02 this morning - with a further 89,000, a percentage of whom will be exempt - and it's anyones guess how many.

Either way, 615,000 who have paid by the deadline does not equal 798,957. Proof, if it were needed, that the compliance rates have been exaggerated by the "Yes" camp.

From an international perspective:

http://www.bostonherald.com/business/general/view.bg?articleid=1061121264&srvc=business&position=recent

DUBLIN — Debt-mired Ireland is facing a revolt over its new property tax.
    The government said less than half of the country’s 1.6 million households paid the charge by Saturday’s deadline to avoid penalties. And about 5,000 marched in protest against the annual conference of Prime Minister Enda Kenny’s Fine Gael party.
    It would appear that the Americans do not view the imposition of the charge as a roaring success............

Yes well it's one rule for alastair and another for the rest of us.

It would seem so alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭apache6

dv

Oh Oh, you really are a sad case - that's entertainment

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭The Crab

When this country provides

(a)free medical care
    (b)free education
    (c)free call outs for emergency services
    (d)proper mains water and sewage services
    (e)a public transport service that is affordable not exorbitant

Then, and only then, will I think about paying a tax on where I live. In the present system I'd rather go to jail first.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭tim9002

The Crab wrote: »
    When this country provides

(a)free medical care
    (b)free education
    (c)free call outs for emergency services
    (d)proper mains water and sewage services
    (e)a public transport service that is affordable not exorbitant

Then, and only then, will I think about paying a tax on where I live. In the present system I'd rather go to jail first.

The country is never going to be able to provide those things FOC when it has to borrow about 12 billion this year to pay for existing service levels. The place you speak of above is yet to be invented!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,503 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

apache6 wrote: »
    Funny you should mention Che;

The US House of Representatives Committee on Foreign Affairs has written to the Taoiseach telling him to stop Galway City Council erecting a statue in Eyre Square to South American revolutionary Che Guevara.

So, Sorry people of Democratic Galway - the Yanks have decided for you - that's Democracy Folks - have a nice day.

That item was wrongly reported in The Examiner. The chair of the committee Ileana Ros-Lehtinen wrote in a personal capacity to the Taoiseach. There is no report of the committee having discussed the issue never mind taken a position on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

phil1nj wrote: »
    Post #7366 from the 1st half of this thread:

alastair: I'll say pay your damn taxes - there's the actual principle.

Post #7708:

And as the poll tax. I was there and refused to pay

Definition of HYPOCRITE

: a person who puts on a false appearance of virtue or religion
    : a person who acts in contradiction to his or her stated beliefs or feelings

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Heh, talk about cherrypicking. Some context:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hondasam View Post
    You never answered this question.
    It's a matter of principle now, I can afford to pay but I won't.
    If next year they say to you Alastair we need more tax, you will be paying €900 property tax what will you say?
    I'll say pay your damn taxes - there's the actual principle. What's the septic tank registration anyway? Tuppence halfpenny.

Next!

tim9002 wrote: »
    The country is never going to able to afford those things FOC when it has to borrow about 12 billion this year to pay for existing service levels. The place you speak of above is yet to be invented!

(a)Free medical care - the United Kingdom has it.
    (b)Free education (I'm talking about kids here) - the United Kingdom has it, Ireland doesn't.
    (c)Free call outs for emergency services - the United Kingdom has them.
    (d)Proper mains water and sewage systems - the United Kingdom has them.
    (e)A public transport system that is affordable not exorbitant - the United Kingdom has it.

And don't gob off about the council tax there being higher than the household charge here. The council tax pays for services, not bull**** like the household charge. Street lighting. What loonybin thinks the council pay for street lighting. Its included in your ESB bill in the standard charge. Don't be so dull that you think that's for paper work.

The UK system is corrupt, and the taxes on the poor are way too high, whilst the rich get off scot free like here. Its in need of radical reform, like I've suggested should happen here. But at least they have public services.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭apache6

That item was wrongly reported in The Examiner. The chair of the committee Ileana Ros-Lehtinen wrote in a personal capacity to the Taoiseach. There is no report of the committee having discussed the issue never mind taken a position on it.

i think you are missing the point, who can we believe anymore

Under completely different circumstances. How many poor of South America do you think have the means to buy their own homes. As I said, if you're rich you pay more. In South America if you own you're own home you pay property tax. Why? Because you have the money to do so. In Europe we're a little more fortunate. Many people can own their own homes, or at least aspire to. It doesn't mean that some walloping great tax that comes along demanding them to pay purely for living should deny them that opportunity. And don't be daft... no-one who was remotely other than right-wing would argue for this tax. Where do you think the money will go in the end? To pay for the fairies dancing in the garden? 800,000 households paid? AIB and Bank of Ireland just got 40,000,000 richer each.

Or (as it's specified in the act) Local services?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

alastair wrote: »

Next!

Hey you talking to me??

Or (as it's specified in the act) Local services?

Are you that much of a moron that you actually believe what's written in government acts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Hey you talking to me??

To himself. Everyone else has given up.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

apache6 wrote: »
    i think you are missing the point, who can we believe anymore

Not your made up stories anyway.

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    To himself. Everyone else has given up.

Except me:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Are you that much of a moron that you actually believe what's written in government acts?
    Oh ffs - the late shift is on. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Except me:D

I'll leave you to it. If off to bed. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭phil1nj

Heh, talk about cherrypicking. Some context:

Next!

I didn't cherry pick anything chief. You asked for clarity around another poster accusing you of hypocrisy (something I also did for exactly the same reason).

I provided that clarity using your own posts. You clearly don't subscribe to your own stated beliefs (you after all didn't pay the poll tax). You sir (as well as being a wind up merchant) are a hypocrite by definition. Context doesn't really come in to it I'm afraid.

• Advertisement

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    I'll leave you to it. If off to bed. :)

il give up myself now.

I didn't cherry pick anything chief. You asked for clarity around another poster accusing you of hypocrisy (something I also did for exactly the same reason).

I provided that clarity using your own posts. You clearly don't subscribe to your own stated beliefs (you after all didn't pay the poll tax). You sir (as well as being a wind up merchant) are a hypocrite by definition. Context doesn't really come in to it I'm afraid.

I hope you punctuated that perfectly, for if you didnt, then the post is null and void:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

I bought cake instead, it's nicer

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭phil1nj

I hope you punctuated that perfectly, for if you didnt, then the post is null and void:)

In my defence it's late and I'm just about ready to quit following this thread. There's only so much condescension and bitterness a (casual) follower like myself can take. Split it over 2 threads and it comes down to a question of stamina :)

In my defence it's late and I'm just about ready to quit following this thread. There's only so much condescension and bitterness a (casual) follower like myself can take. Split it over 2 threads and it comes down to a question of stamina :)

Well, our spelling mistakes were used against us here recently, as if it invalidated points made:D

You oppose the poll tax, and avoided paying it, but tell people here they must pay this tax, and anyone that suggests its unfair is wrong. Thats hypocracy.

'Hypocrisy'? No it's not. It's called using your critical faculties. One tax was unfair, the other, not.

I'm afraid it does - try reading the entire post again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

'Hypocrisy'? No it's not. It's called using your critical faculties. One tax was unfair, the other, not.

imo.

Ride the snake, ride the snake
    To the lake, the ancient lake, baby
    The snake is long, seven miles
    Ride the snake...he's old, and his skin is cold

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

This is the first time ever in AH a thread has reached 10000 posts. That's amazing. Should we do something to celebrate?

Do I get some kind of award for starting this thread. 100E or something?

• Advertisement

Noreen1 wrote: »
    61.5 million is 615,000 people who have paid by 00.02 this morning - with a further 89,000, a percentage of whom will be exempt - and it's anyones guess how many.

Either way, 615,000 who have paid by the deadline does not equal 798,957. Proof, if it were needed, that the compliance rates have been exaggerated by the "Yes" camp.

You think? Could equally be that they don't count cheques that haven't cleared yet. I doubt that there's a a cunning plan by the 'yes camp' to bump up figures, while forgetting elementary maths.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement