Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can haz general discussion? 2!!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Law and History grad. Definitely can be either depending on which is the higher mark. Depts have no say, it's an over all college system.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭Dickie10

oh thats sounds good ! i got a first in 2 nd year geography and a first in 1 st semester exams, but just afraid im going to do a gazza and hit the self destruct button in the last hurdle! if i get a 1.1 in geography and a 2.1 in history what happens there, is there an overall mark you get in double honours ar is it two seperate ones for each subject?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Dickie10 wrote: »
    oh thats sounds good ! i got a first in 2 nd year geography and a first in 1 st semester exams, but just afraid im going to do a gazza and hit the self destruct button in the last hurdle! if i get a 1.1 in geography and a 2.1 in history what happens there, is there an overall mark you get in double honours ar is it two seperate ones for each subject?

Overall

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

Only thing I'd add to the 'Overall' above is when you're applying for a Masters, if your mark gets brought down by your weaker subject, it's not automatically a problem. Plenty of Masters courses might say you could get in with a high 2.2 overall, if you've a 2.1 in your chosen subject. Or if your overall was a 2.2 due to getting a very low mark in Geography but a 1st in History, the History department would surely still take you for an MA. If that makes sense. Or if you're applying for a PhD, sometimes if the department is particularly tough it might require a high 2.1 overall with a 1st in your MA dissertation. You still have to convince them in your application or interview, so my point is, even if your weaker subject messes up your marks, it's not the end of the world, departments don't just take the overall mark into consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭KellyR18

Does anyone know if you fail your Chemistry CA marks by 6/7%, will they make you repeat? I have an ongoing injury which may help in an appeal? Has anyone heard any stories about repeats especially science/chemistry??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Boeing777

KellyR18 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you fail your Chemistry CA marks by 6/7%, will they make you repeat? I have an ongoing injury which may help in an appeal? Has anyone heard any stories about repeats especially science/chemistry??

It totally depends. In theory you have to repeat if you fail CA but there's always valid circumstances that they consider before making you repeat. I do know of a few instances where students were allowed to repeat an experiment to improve marks, but don't take that as gospel. The best bet is to have a chat with your year coordinator and see what they say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭JellyBeans92

Does anyone know where I can get a thesis printed and binded in Maynooth, and roughly how much?
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Stinjy

Does anyone know where I can get a thesis printed and binded in Maynooth, and roughly how much?

The printing press which was in the arts block (?) last year. Though I just got mine bound there. Printed it in inkjet (I think its called) just down over the bridge (after manor mills) beside the garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Inkjet in the town does binding, not sure of the price though. The Printing Press in the SU does binding as well, not sure if they do hardback binding but they certainly do soft binding. Not sure of the price either, might be worth pricing both.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Anybody see that letter that was sent to the SU about the marriage equality referendum? There's a couple of things I'd like to say:

The pro-equality agenda that's being spread in all colleges in Ireland is embarrassing. It's nearly as if there isn't another side if the argument. HOWEVER, the content of that letter was disgusting.

But, isn't the media coverage that it's now getting exactly what the senders would've wanted? Am I the only person who thinks that they would've been better served throwing the letter in the bin instead of spreading the vile message.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,729 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Why is the pro-equality message embarrassing? People are welcome to campaign for a no vote, but to this point I haven't seen it done. Nothing wrong with the yes campaign either.

Totally agree regards the postcard mind you, should just have been binned and forgotten about.

Edit: bar the religious nonsense, no one has come up with a semi coherent reason to vote no. That to me is embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,842 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Well, there's not really another side to the argument that isn't grounded in prejudice and bigotry.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

There is still a lot of prejudice in Ireland but because of media and social attitudes it has gone to the quiet recesses of peoples minds, only to be discussed in the corners of pubs or the back of mass. When the vote rolls around you will have a lot more no votes than any poll will indicate, as saying you'll vote no out loud will evoke the same reaction as admitting to being a murderer. There are a lot of people who will not change their mind who, for whatever reason (a lot is faith based, a lot is not) will not accept gay people in society.

Some of the 'concerns' :rolleyes: raised by the vocal minority of no voters are about adoption, children raised by same sex parents being bullied or being 'forced to be gay' :rolleyes: . Some of them just don't understand it and plainly hate gays. but our society's reaction to this all means instead of just coming out and saying "I Hate Gay People" it has to be dressed up as a concern about a peripheral issue , in an attempt to get the same result. If you really want to defeat the no side in an argument like this, we have to allow truly free speech without ostracising people, so that fake arguments disappear , and the people who are never going to change can just say they hate for no reason, rather than confusing those on the fence with these smokescreens.

Personally ill be voting yes, although I would never support card makers, cake decorators, churches or anywhere/one/thing else being forced to go against beliefs.

Im voting FOR marriage equality. I am not voting to force the catholic church or anybody with a prejudice to be forced to open up to it.

What's been embarassing about the pro-equality vote in colleges is just campaigning students to vote Yes without giving them reasons why they should. Going around to lecture halls and giving students forms to make sure they're on the register is embarrassing. If somebody genuinely felt strongly enough to vote in this referendum, they would ensure they're registered themselves.

I personally will be voting yes but not because of a massive SU bandwagon effect like some people. I don't think the referendum will pass as there is still far too much ignorance and bigotry in this country. Both my parents and grandparents are voting no and I'm sure a lot of that generation will.

thelad95 wrote: »
    What's been embarassing about the pro-equality vote in colleges is just campaigning students to vote Yes without giving them reasons why they should. Going around to lecture halls and giving students forms to make sure they're on the register is embarrassing. If somebody genuinely felt strongly enough to vote in this referendum, they would ensure they're registered themselves.

I personally will be voting yes but not because of a massive SU bandwagon effect like some people. I don't think the referendum will pass as there is still far too much ignorance and bigotry in this country. Both my parents and grandparents are voting no and I'm sure a lot of that generation will.
    and thats what its down to, instead of letting no voters say they're voting no and addressing their concerns, they're afraid to talk about voting no outside of their own homes for the shame and abuse it would bring on to them. I think it will pass but only by 51 - 54% and thats purely down to the efforts of all the SU's around the country and the campaigns.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

I don't see how encouraging students to register to vote can be embarrassing - students are the demographic least likely to vote, and a lot of that is due to being registered in the wrong place, not being able to get back home to vote, never having bothered to register, or other stuff like that. Encouraging students to register is good for democracy in the country, and if they vote for equality, so much the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

It doesn't help that the Referendum is in the middle of exams..

How so Joe wrote: »
    I don't see how encouraging students to register to vote can be embarrassing - students are the demographic least likely to vote, and a lot of that is due to being registered in the wrong place, not being able to get back home to vote, never having bothered to register, or other stuff like that. Encouraging students to register is good for democracy in the country, and if they vote for equality, so much the better.

i think its more the "you've never voted, here ill help you register to vote, vote yes" mantra with no explanation of what exactly they're voting yes on. Its great to see people registering to vote, and it might paint a more diverse, brighter political future by getting people interested in democracy. I can see how the above poster and others might be annoyed by the SU's "were helping you for our gain, we won't give you the info because we made your choice for you" attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

i think its more the "you've never voted, here ill help you register to vote, vote yes" mantra with no explanation of what exactly they're voting yes on. Its great to see people registering to vote, and it might paint a more diverse, brighter political future by getting people interested in democracy. I can see how the above poster and others might be annoyed by the SU's "were helping you for our gain, we won't give you the info because we made your choice for you" attitude.

I admit I don't go to Maynooth any more, so I don't know what the SU's attitude about getting people to register was. But even if they SU got thousands of students to register, it still has to convince them to get out to the polls on May 22nd. From what thelad95 said, they tried to make sure all the students were registered to vote by handing out voter registration forms. No harm there. And I still don't see how it could be embarrassing.

I think the issue of campaigning for a Yes is separate to actually getting them to register. Maybe that's embarrassing, to want to make sure that all the students you represent have an equal chance to access the various benefits of marriage. I know I'm scarlet every time I tell someone I'm voting yes.
    But at the end of the day, it's each student's civic duty to educate themselves on the issues they're voting on - if the SU isn't giving you the information yer looking for go elsewhere. These are third-level students we're talking about here, they are (hopefully...) able to do some independent research.

How so Joe wrote: »
    I admit I don't go to Maynooth any more, so I don't know what the SU's attitude about getting people to register was. But even if they SU got thousands of students to register, it still has to convince them to get out to the polls on May 22nd. From what thelad95 said, they tried to make sure all the students were registered to vote by handing out voter registration forms. No harm there. And I still don't see how it could be embarrassing.

I think the issue of campaigning for a Yes is separate to actually getting them to register. Maybe that's embarrassing, to want to make sure that all the students you represent have an equal chance to access the various benefits of marriage. I know I'm scarlet every time I tell someone I'm voting yes.
    But at the end of the day, it's each student's civic duty to educate themselves on the issues they're voting on - if the SU isn't giving you the information yer looking for go elsewhere. These are third-level students we're talking about here, they are (hopefully...) able to do some independent research.

well apparently they can't even register to vote :pac:

In all reality id say theres probably only a handful of people on that campus who'd even want to vote no. The biggest issue as you said will be getting them to the ballot box, that will still be a challenge, but 20% of 5000 voting is better than 20% of 1000 so every vote counts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

I think it is important for the SU to educate its members on important political issues. They have done a good job this year in getting students registered to vote, but a topic like marriage equality is easy enough to get students interested in. There has been no information on the other referendum that we will be voting on, I say most students don't even know that they will be voting on two amendments. The SU don't have to take a position on it, but should be at least informing students about where to go for information.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Westeros

Any word on when the summer exam timetable is due to be released? Nearly sure they said late March but thats kind of up...

Westeros wrote: »
    Any word on when the summer exam timetable is due to be released? Nearly sure they said late March but thats kind of up...

Tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Boeing777

Tomorrow.

How do you know? Everybody will think it's one big April Fools Day joke :pac:

Got an email saying

"Students have formal written examinations each year in January and Summer. In 2014/2015, Summer examinations will start on Friday 15th May 2015. The complete timetable for Summer examinations will be available from the 1st April on the examinations office website (https://www.maynoothuniversity.ie/exams/academic-examination-timetable) Students should be aware that some departments may also organise in-class examinations – details will be announced at lectures."

Going around to lecture halls and giving students forms to make sure they're on the register is embarrassing.
    I disagree completely. In my experience Irish people are notoriously lax in making sure they're properly registered for anything on time, doesn't matter whether they agree or disagree. If what they're doing is helping people get registered to vote, whether for or against, that's a very good thing in my view. I really believe as many people as possible should be actively encouraged to take part in the country, rather than succumbing to the apathy that has overtaken us in recent decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Westeros

Timetable is available now! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭Dickie10

any double honours geography graduates here?
    i have a question re: the mini thesis 4,000 wds

Westeros wrote: »
    Timetable is available now! :)
    I want you to know that I'm not thanking you. It's like opposite thanks. No thanks. Thanks but I'd rather not do exams anymore thanks.

• Advertisement

So I have 5 exams, one on the 15th, two on the 24th and two on the 25th. Well fück.

Advertisement