Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can haz general discussion? 2!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 KK94

Does anyone here know if its possible to pass a module by compensation in final year? And if so, would I lose my entitlement to an honour degree? Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

KK94 wrote: »
    Does anyone here know if its possible to pass a module by compensation in final year? And if so, would I lose my entitlement to an honour degree? Thanks :)
    Don't know about the first bit... but you do have the option in final year to repeat up to 15 credits in the August exams to improve your mark, and still retain an honours degree. So if you don't do well, maybe consider repeating a module or two?

The only difference is you'll graduate in October instead of August.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

@mickstupp, I'm a first year so I hope this insight helps. A lot of students only attend tutorials if there is a % on offer so obviously it's understandable that they probably won't bother engaging that much.

There is a definitely a confidence issue with first years but I think there's also a little bit of peer pressure to not engage. As you say most first years are out of secondary school where you're used to just accepting information without having to question or discuss it.

If you're looking to make tutorials more interactive, maybe force people to talk. At first, there will be a bit of resistance and awkward looks but after a few classes, they may get used to it and actually give an answer. The occasional relevant YouTube video always helps as well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Oscars Well.

We were always divided into groups of two and given possible exam questions or questions relating to the theme of the tutorial before having to present an answer in front of the class. Always thought that was a good approach.

Wow. If my tutors had done that to me, I think I would've started skipping class.

I guess everyone likes different approaches.

• Advertisement

I thought it was great haha! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Zemuppet

I prefer my history tutorial as a good example of how to do a tutorial right. We usually have a few readings to do before hand so everyone gets asked about in each of the tutorials, those who didn't do the readings get asked their opinions on what they heard from the others. Everybody is engaging and it's a good atmosphere.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

mickstupp wrote: »
    Wow. If my tutors had done that to me, I think I would've started skipping class.

I guess everyone likes different approaches.

Id be the same.. There's a particular module this semester I've been to very few times this semester as it's filled with "on the spot" questions and, maybe frustration if you don't know the answer
    Rather than put myself through the nerves each lecture I've opted not to go. Probably not the right decision that I'm making but I bet I'm not the only one who has done this for the class

There is nothing worse than the painful silence in tutorials when nobody is willing to give their opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭JayEnnis

Mod Edit: Surveys are not allowed in this forum or any others except for the specific surveys forum. Please do not post them here.

XxMCRxBabyxX

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

**** went down in the arts block today :O :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

What happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Oh dear...my first thought is a stereotypical SJW confronted some "No" campaginers. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 10,729 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Oh dear...my first thought is a stereotypical SJW confronted some "No" campaginers. :o

That's pretty much it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

SJW ?

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Toshi101

TheBody wrote: »
    SJW ?
    Savvy Jewish Women

I know there's a fairly big LGBT community in Maynooth but I'm absolutely sick of this referendum at this stage. While I advocate a yes vote, some of the yes campaigners attitudes suck.

People are entitled to say no as well and for whatever reason they want. That's democracy.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

I think it's that it's that both sides are making it all too emotional at this stage. It was bound to happen but it could backfire on both sides. I've heard a couple of people say that they're thinking of not voting or spoiling their votes because of the way that both sides have been going on at this stage. I'm still determined to vote but I can see where they're coming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

There's a video on Facebook of footage of it, I'll try find it. Agree with some people above, though there are some sinister parties on the no side (IONA etc.) most people leaning towards no just need to be convinced and at the moment the YES side hasn't done a good enough job of that.

I can understand why someone might just explode at some "No" campaigners, after all they are being told by them that they are to remain second class citizens.

• Advertisement

Just out of interest, what will happen if the college referendum on the SUs stance turns out to be a No vote. I know this referendum is being run as a formality but that would put a lot of people in a very awkward position.

Got slightly miffed at a poster I saw on my way out of the Arts block, think it was something to do with the original reason marriage was set up? Morons clearly don't have a clue what they're talking about. Had zero to do with creating stable and loving family environments. Lot more to do with property rights.

I'm all for people having different opinions, but if those opinions are based on bull**** and ignorance, not sure I see why anyone should have any respect for them.

Mind you, I did move fairly swiftly past that group of people so I may have totally misread the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭I Am_Not_Ice

2782075-5348157470-10996.jpg

Has anyone else noticed Mormons walking around the college this week? Two sharply dressed, suited up handsome young men with name badges.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,865 ✭✭✭Dickie10

just looked back on my rant from a few days ago, god i was in a foul mood!

Good results imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,087 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

2782075-5348157470-10996.jpg

This guy.

saville-370439.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭KellyR18

Has anyone got any advice from changing course from Science to Law through arts?

Also the course, CS143, has anyone got any advice to pass it, CA is currently just over 35% will I fail the module now?

• Advertisement

If you pass the exam you should be fine for passing the module overall. I can't help you with changing from Science to Law though.

Advertisement