Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can haz general discussion? 2!!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,837 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Yea Im stupidly after emailing a lecturer earlier off the @nuim.ie and I dont know if she got it/replied to it but didnt work

I dont want to email her again because I was asking her if something were possible, and if she did receive it and just hasnt replied yet, I dont want to come across really annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

deise_girl wrote: »
    Yea Im stupidly after emailing a lecturer earlier off the @nuim.ie and I dont know if she got it/replied to it but didnt work

I dont want to email her again because I was asking her if something were possible, and if she did receive it and just hasnt replied yet, I dont want to come across really annoying

Staff are still @nuim.ie They are being changed over later in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

New email is absolutely awful. It hurts my eyes looking at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

I can still sign in to the old one and send emails from it, but don't seem to be receiving unfortunately. I guess mails sent to the old address are being redirected automatically to the new infinitely-more-unprofessional-sounding mail address. Which is a pity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Oscars Well.

Got sent feedback on an essay yesterday, got a 65. The lecturer described it as being written in a perfunctory manner. Never has anyone been so right... :pac::pac:

Perfunctory - (of an action) carried out without real interest, feeling, or effort.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Forward everything to gmail. Less ****e sounding and more professional. Plus doesn't give you a pain in your head looking at it.

I don't understand why we can't change our display name from CAPITALNONSENSE to NormalCaseUsage. It's a bloody stupid system.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

mickstupp wrote: »
    I don't understand why we can't change our display name from CAPITALNONSENSE to NormalCaseUsage. It's a bloody stupid system.

Mine has my full four names too so it looks particularly ridiculous.

^I don't get how inputting all of that, plus the year, is anyway more efficient or better than just using our student numbers as the login.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Boeing777

It took me an embarrassing amount of time to figure out how to actually compose a new email under the new system. I don't think it's very "easy" to use for those less comfortable with technology.

• Advertisement

Saw this on Facebook, nice article. http://trinitynews.ie/what-growing-up-in-a-queer-family-means-to-me/

It made me think, wouldn't it be great if we had a student newspaper in Maynooth?

Wait... do we? Don't we? I can never remember. Seems to be all over the place for the last few years. I really liked it before that. I get the impression it's somehow tied to whoever's in charge in the SU, which I think is a problem. If it was entirely divorced from incoming / outcoming nonsense, maybe we could get a more permanent setup.

Granted all I know is that I haven't seen one in a very very very long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,081 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Someone should do a new paper call it the weekly MUSE. Copyright pending ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Saw this on Facebook, nice article. http://trinitynews.ie/what-growing-up-in-a-queer-family-means-to-me/

It made me think, wouldn't it be great if we had a student newspaper in Maynooth?

Wait... do we? Don't we? I can never remember. Seems to be all over the place for the last few years. I really liked it before that. I get the impression it's somehow tied to whoever's in charge in the SU, which I think is a problem. If it was entirely divorced from incoming / outcoming nonsense, maybe we could get a more permanent setup.

Granted all I know is that I haven't seen one in a very very very long time.

There was a new edition of The Print out about 2 weeks ago. It was ok enough, none of the articles really stood out so am struggling to remember most of it. I think they are trying to have an online format as well, so they can actually have articles that are relevant rather than dealing with something in the past few weeks.

The Print does need a bit of a distant from the SU, it often reads like a love letter to the SU. I can't think of any article in the Print that has criticised the SU in the last few years.

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    There was a new edition of The Print out about 2 weeks ago.
    Wait, what? Where? I'm in the Arts block every day and I didn't see anything like that. Did they put notices up about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭plumpote

it is technically possible to forward your "@mumail.ie" email address

Can someone please tell me how to get this silly new mail system to forward to my personal account?

Edit: Found it!

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Westeros

plumpote wrote: »
    Can someone please tell me how to get this silly new mail system to forward to my personal account?

Edit: Found it!

Any idea if we can set it up as an actual email on a smartphone now?

Westeros wrote: »
    Any idea if we can set it up as an actual email on a smartphone now?
    Yes, I did. It's very easy. But you've to set it up as an Exchange account, not Outlook.

Yes, I did. It's very easy. But you've to set it up as an Exchange account, not Outlook.

Cheers mickstupp, got it! :)

I actually liked the old e-mail but the new one is horrific. Anyone know how I can forward every e-mail to my gmail address?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,842 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I wonder, is Eduroam giving anyone here any grief since the changeover? I'm doing an internship with a company based in the Trinity Enterprise Centre, and they have Eduroam, but today I've been unable to sign in. :(

• Advertisement

I wonder, is Eduroam giving anyone here any grief since the changeover? I'm doing an internship with a company based in the Trinity Enterprise Centre, and they have Eduroam, but today I've been unable to sign in. :(

I was visiting a friend in Trinity a few weeks ago and tried to log into Eduroam to help him with a project but it wouldn't work. Their wifi is not great actually, I think they have to install software or something on their laptops for it to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

thelad95 wrote: »
    I actually liked the old e-mail but the new one is horrific. Anyone know how I can forward every e-mail to my gmail address?

Its definitely there in the settings, top right I think?

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Alt_Grrr

I was visiting a friend in Trinity a few weeks ago and tried to log into Eduroam to help him with a project but it wouldn't work. Their wifi is not great actually, I think they have to install software or something on their laptops for it to work.

I'm in there quite frequently these days and works fine for me.
    Be sure that in your settings, your username is STUDENTNUMBER@nuim.ie

That way Eduroam knows where your from and which university's login system should be authenticating you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,842 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I tried using <my student number>@nuim.ie this morning and it didn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Alt_Grrr

I tried using <my student number>@nuim.ie this morning and it didn't work.

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
    See if other people are having the same problem.

Settings in the top right corner, scroll down to options. Then, over on the left hand side of the screen you'll see forwarding under the 'mail' section :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭Dickie10

why does the geography department say they calculate your degree by taking the best results from 2nd and 3rd year as an average if u dont do as well in 3rd year, yet as far as i could make out in history the other day the lecturer made it out to us that your degree mark in history was based all on final semester exams. surely thats a bit like the leaving cert?

Dickie10 wrote: »
    why does the geography department say they calculate your degree by taking the best results from 2nd and 3rd year as an average if u dont do as well in 3rd year, yet as far as i could make out in history the other day the lecturer made it out to us that your degree mark in history was based all on final semester exams. surely thats a bit like the leaving cert?

I thought the university wide policy was to calculate both 2+3 and just 3 and give you whichever grade works out the best?

It is kind of like the Leaving cert but if you think about it, final exams are a culmination of all the years of work, from laying basic foundations in 1st year to indepth study in final year.

I don't think the departments have any say in the matter. It's a university-wide thing.

If your 3rd year marks are better than your 2nd year marks, then your degree mark is the 3rd year mark.

If your 2nd year marks are better than your 3rd year marks, then automatically your final mark is calculated using 70% of your 3rd year marks and 30% of your 2nd year marks.

Basically whichever gives you the higher end result, that's what happens. And it happens automatically. Your department has nothing do to with it. Your History lecturer just doesn't know what he's talking about.

/FarAsIKnow

EDIT: See this document from the Examinations office, page 6, has nothing to do with the departments: https://www.maynoothuniversity.ie/sites/default/files/assets/document/UG%20MarksStds_implementation%20Sept14_v7.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Oscars Well.

Can confirm, History graduate here.

Advertisement