Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can haz general discussion? 2!!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

lads whens the first thursday of term ? have to re aquaint myself with the roost.

26th methinks.

Guys, anyone know much about post and Maynooth? If I sent a letter on Friday afternoon with a 55c stamp on it when should I expect it to arrive in the History Dept?
    It's pretty important and has a postal order in it so I'm starting to panic about whether it'll arrive or not. I'd expected it to be there by today.

Yes, in hindsight I should never sent out by registered post but I was all over the place when sorting it out on Fri.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭jubella

26th methinks.

Guys, anyone know much about post and Maynooth? If I sent a letter on Friday afternoon with a 55c stamp on it when should I expect it to arrive in the History Dept?
    It's pretty important and has a postal order in it so I'm starting to panic about whether it'll arrive or not. I'd expected it to be there by today.

Yes, in hindsight I should never sent out by registered post but I was all over the place when sorting it out on Fri.

Where did you send it from? There are 4 main postal "hubs" in Ireland and if you sent it from outside the same hub as Maynooth, it could've got delayed as it has to be sorted in one area, sent to the next area then sorted again.

There's also a chance you missed the last collection on Friday, so it might not even have been collected until yesterday. Hopefully it'll arrive tomorrow.

jubella wrote: »
    Where did you send it from? There are 4 main postal "hubs" in Ireland and if you sent it from outside the same hub as Maynooth, it could've got delayed as it has to be sorted in one area, sent to the next area then sorted again.

Ballsbridge area. I'll stop panicking for now. Will start again if I hear nothing by Fri though.

The fact that I was apparently low on postage isn't helping though. Why sell 55c stamps if the charge is 60c?!

Ballsbridge area. I'll stop panicking for now. Will start again if I hear nothing by Fri though.

The fact that I was apparently low on postage isn't helping though. Why sell 55c stamps if the charge is 60c?!

Yeah ballsbridge Is Dublin hub, whereas Maynooth falls into the Portlaoise hub. The letter has to go to the Dublin sorting office, be sorted, go to Portlaoise, be sorted, then go to Maynooth. And I wouldn't worry much about the underpayment... I've worked in the Dublin sorting office a lot, they're mostly worried about underpayments on A4 sized envelopes. You shouldn't have been sold a 55c stamp though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

Lads can anyone help me out? Currently I'm waiting for my grant to come through and so won't be paying fees before registration which is fine, but it's obligatory to pay the €100 student levy regardless. Does anyone know how I pay this? The handbook doesn't explicitly state how I ddo so?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Call them and ask :)

01 708 4747

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,837 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Lads can anyone help me out? Currently I'm waiting for my grant to come through and so won't be paying fees before registration which is fine, but it's obligatory to pay the €100 student levy regardless. Does anyone know how I pay this? The handbook doesn't explicitly state how I ddo so?

Are you going into first year? Nearly sure we got a letter that explained about the fees and you could pay the levy online with a password and username(given on the letter) or you could pay it at registration :)
    Think the letter came 2 weeks ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

deise_girl wrote: »
    Are you going into first year? Nearly sure we got a letter that explained about the fees and you could pay the levy online with a password and username(given on the letter) or you could pay it at registration :)
    Think the letter came 2 weeks ago!

Thanks for the confirmation! Yeah the letter came two weeks ago. I was just confused whether paying online was both the contribution and the levy or could you pay the levy on its own. Thanks for clearing it up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Boeing777

I'm ridiculously in need of a weekend job! :( I was trying over the summer to get work but admittedly I probably didn't try very hard, but now that I realise I need money I'm going all out to get a job. Can't imagine much places taken on someone just for weekend work though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

Not a pleasant time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

Anyone know how much pay and display on campus is ?

Can't register 'till 29th at the earliest so I'm assuming that even if I order the permit straight away it'll be another few days before it arrives

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

Here is the info you are looking for:

Tariff rates for the Pay and Display car parks for 2013/2014 will be:
    • €1.00 for the 1st hour
    • €1.50 per hour or pro-rata for each subsequent hour.
    • Maximum stay: 5 hours.
    • Hours of operation 08.30-17.00 hours, Monday to Friday during term time.
    LINK:

http://campusservices.nuim.ie/traffic/visitor.shtml

So based on that, if my boyfriend came up to visit me on campus some evening he'd be fine to Park anywhere?

So based on that, if my boyfriend came up to visit me on campus some evening he'd be fine to Park anywhere?

Yes. There are plenty of free spaces in the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

No, only in the pay and display car parks.

GarIT wrote: »
    No, only in the pay and display car parks.

That's not true. You can park where you like outside enforcement hours.

http://campusservices.nuim.ie/traffic/enforcement-policy.shtml

TheBody wrote: »
    That's not true. You can park where you like outside enforcement hours.

http://campusservices.nuim.ie/traffic/enforcement-policy.shtml

And during them visitors without the disc things have to park in the pay and display areas.

Ok, now I'm confused. They'd hardly be clamping people outside the enforcement hours though would they?

Ok, now I'm confused. They'd hardly be clamping people outside the enforcement hours though would they?

No, until 5pm visitors park in the pay and display car parks, after 5pm anyone can park anywhere.

Having read TheBody's link, it looks like he's right. It specifically days that the whole policy is only enforced during the hours aka it's all free system those times.

• Advertisement

No, until 5pm visitors park in the pay and display car parks, after 5pm anyone can park anywhere.

So what TheBody said?

So what TheBody said?

Pretty much, I think the definition of evening is what caused the disagreement. Evening is the last few hours before sunset, so from October to March evening is 1pm to 5pm which would be during the time its enforced.

That's what I said!! You are getting yourself confused!!

aaabbbb wrote: »
    Anyone know how much pay and display on campus is ?

Can't register 'till 29th at the earliest so I'm assuming that even if I order the permit straight away it'll be another few days before it arrives

I ordered mine on Friday and it arrived on Monday, so hopefully you'll only have to pay for a day or two!

That's what I said!! You are getting yourself confused!!

What you said was you can park anywhere during the evening, for most of the college year evening falls within the enforcement hours.

Pretty much, I think the definition of evening is what caused the disagreement. Evening is the last few hours before sunset, so from October to March evening is 1pm to 5pm which would be during the time its enforced.

I always considered evening as being after when I was finished school/work/college! Aka after 5/6 til 8/9

What you said was you can park anywhere during the evening, for most of the college year evening falls within the enforcement hours.

In fairness, based on my original post we could have all worked out what myself and TheBody meant.

Ah come on!!! Talk about being pedantic!!

I always considered evening as being after when I was finished school/work/college! Aka after 5/6 til 8/9

Well there is where the confusion is. Night begins at sunset, evening is the time between afternoon and sunset. There is no point in continuing this, I think it's sorted.

• Advertisement

Ah come on!!! Talk about being pedantic!!

What I was doing was trying to be helpful. I took evening to be what I considered it to mean, I just didn't want anyone getting clamped. And then by explaining how the confusion happened I'm pedantic, Thanks.

Advertisement