Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yamakasi Catleap monitor club.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

If you're VAT exempt, then why not just go for the 27'' Dell?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭michaelotoole

I don't see any mention of the specs.... doubt anyone is selling a comparable monitor for less than $600...
    The LG29UM65 mentioned is only 2560x1080 and refresh rate is not so good (14ms )...

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Cally91

Anybody know the difference between the 2 qnix monitors on ebay? One has hdmi input the other is dvi-d only but is there any difference in the actual monitor or is it a newer version?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

If you want to overclock the monitor do not go for the HDMI version, it's only the dvi models that can go high.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,409 ✭✭✭Nollog

Cally91 wrote: »
    Was it broken when u got it? Some sellers on ebay give a warranty.. dunno how reliable they are tho!

my story is earlier along in the thread, i got one with like 40 dead pixels, took ages to get the paper work from customs to send it back for repairs and not get double-charged on the way back, got the new one and took a few months to diagnose and i pretty much gave up and didn't bother contacting him again.
    The seller was good, just the idea of sending it back again made me want to throw up.

Had it for years, it stays on for about 10 seconds, then goes off and won't turn on for another 10 seconds until you plug it out and let it discharge completely.
    sucks for me.

• Advertisement

AstraMonti wrote: »
    If you want to overclock the monitor do not go for the HDMI version, it's only the dvi models that can go high.

It says the hdmi monitor supports overclocking? Is it just harder on the gpu?

/\/ollog wrote: »
    my story is earlier along in the thread, i got one with like 40 dead pixels, took ages to get the paper work from customs to send it back for repairs and not get double-charged on the way back, got the new one and took a few months to diagnose and i pretty much gave up and didn't bother contacting him again.
    The seller was good, just the idea of sending it back again made me want to throw up.

Had it for years, it stays on for about 10 seconds, then goes off and won't turn on for another 10 seconds until you plug it out and let it discharge completely.
    sucks for me.

Aww buddy that sucks! You reckon it was just bad luck or these are dodgy monitors? I'm considering just buying a 24" locally just so i'll have a come back! But really like the idea of one of these in my set up!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Danger781

Cally91 wrote: »
    It says the hdmi monitor supports overclocking? Is it just harder on the gpu?

My multi-input monitor supports overclocking. Have it running at 96Hz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

Was looking at picking a Qnix QX2710 up but import duty in the U.K is stupid. Looking at around £200 plus the £226 for the monitor. No thank you.

Sarz91 wrote: »
    Was looking at picking a Qnix QX2710 up but import duty in the U.K is stupid. Looking at around £200 plus the £226 for the monitor. No thank you.

What are you on about? :confused: I paid like €50 or something

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

Danger781 wrote: »
    What are you on about? :confused: I paid like €50 or something

I rang the HMRC in England and was told it could be anywhere up to £200.

Sarz91 wrote: »
    I rang the HMRC in England and was told it could be anywhere up to £200.

That's a load of bollocks anyway I'd say.. Sure it's only 20% in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 9,136 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

This calculator suggests £25 for a monitor marked at $200 - http://www.dutycalculator.com/new-import-duty-and-tax-calculation/

You could have a look through this thread on overclock.net and see what UK importers were charged. The highest I noticed was £40, I don't remember reading anything as high as £200.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭The Red

I was charged €60 for my Qnix.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭PatL23

Should i go for a Qnix pixel perfect model or a evolution II model? Theres a difference of about 30-40euro in the price.
    I think id have more peace of mind with the pixel perfect model. But nothing to say it wont be trouble free. Some models are 419usd, others 359 and 339usd.
    Im soo confused :s

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

PatL23 wrote: »
    Should i go for a Qnix pixel perfect model or a evolution II model? Theres a difference of about 30-40euro in the price.
    I think id have more peace of mind with the pixel perfect model. But nothing to say it wont be trouble free. Some models are 419usd, others 359 and 339usd.
    Im soo confused :s

I heard that pixel perfect is pointless because if there is a problem they just refund you the difference between the pixel perfect and the non pixel perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

Decided to take a leap of faith and join the club. I paid on 24 November by paypal and card is already debited, I've also received positive feedback from the seller. No tracking number yet though.

PC components should be here on Friday, and I was hoping that all my toys would arrive at the same time. It is supposed to be courier delivered, so (when they do load the van) it shouldn't be that long should it?

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Ninjah Tigah

druss wrote: »
    Decided to take a leap of faith and join the club. I paid on 24 November by paypal and card is already debited, I've also received positive feedback from the seller. No tracking number yet though.

PC components should be here on Friday, and I was hoping that all my toys would arrive at the same time. It is supposed to be courier delivered, so (when they do load the van) it shouldn't be that long should it?

Depends on the courier. If it's UPS..... :P

Depends on the courier. If it's UPS..... :P

Worst case scenario, I suppose, is that the monitor arrives first and my pc components are delayed. I've nothing else around to test it with, whereas at least I can use a tv with the pc for a bit.

CORSAIR 16GB (2X8GB) 1600MHZ ZWART
    MSI GTX970 GAMING 4G
    SCYTHE MUGEN 4 PCGH EDITION
    INTEL CORE I5 4690K
    CORSAIR 650W RM650 RM SERIES
    WESTERN DIGITAL 2000GB WD RED
    SAMSUNG 500GB 2.5 INCH 840 EVO SERIES
    SILVERSTONE RAVEN RV05 BLACK WINDOWED SST-RV05B-W
    ASUS MAXIMUS VII RANGER DDR3 SOCKET 1150 INTEL® Z97

are still to arrive also. (I know..the 16Gb and the 650W are OTT). The mouse and keyboard are waiting on the desk. The wifi card and a USB satellite card from amazon france. Speakers to follow.

This is what Christmas used to feel like!

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭twinsen

Worst case scenario, I suppose, is that the monitor arrives first and my pc components are delayed. I've nothing else around to test it with, whereas at least I can use a tv with the pc for a bit.

CORSAIR 16GB (2X8GB) 1600MHZ ZWART
    MSI GTX970 GAMING 4G
    SCYTHE MUGEN 4 PCGH EDITION
    INTEL CORE I5 4690K
    CORSAIR 650W RM650 RM SERIES
    WESTERN DIGITAL 2000GB WD RED
    SAMSUNG 500GB 2.5 INCH 840 EVO SERIES
    SILVERSTONE RAVEN RV05 BLACK WINDOWED SST-RV05B-W
    ASUS MAXIMUS VII RANGER DDR3 SOCKET 1150 INTEL® Z97

are still to arrive also. (I know..the 16Gb and the 650W are OTT). The mouse and keyboard are waiting on the desk. The wifi card and a USB satellite card from amazon france. Speakers to follow.

This is what Christmas used to feel like!
    Corsair rm650 os absolutely not OTT. I bought myself axi860 only because of zero fan mode. Atm with my overclocked 2500k i5 4.4 ghz, asus GTX970 STRIX slightly overclocked ,plus 4hdds, psu fan never ever bother to start. Not even when i run prime95 and heaven at the same time.
    I wish i could make my pc completely silent

• Advertisement

As above, I ordered on the 24 November and it is still to arrive.

26/11/2014 12:04 Item deposited Korea (South)
    26/11/2014 16:36 Arrival at facilities EMC
    27/11/2014 11:08 Departure from office of exchange
    27/11/2014 14:13 Departure from office of exchange Korea (South)
    01/12/2014 15:44 Arrival at international office of exchange

The bit that is concerning me is that it has arrived in the country but is sitting in a customs office for a week now. Is it just a Christmas backlog? Are the lads taking it apart to google what it's really worth?

My pc parts arrived and (for the most part) are working in blissful harmony and looking good on the Samsung tv. But I want my monitor now. :(

A further update on this. I had to email the customs office in Belgium who finally released it the day after I sent them my email. It was sent for delivery on 11 December and returned to depot as they claimed nobody was home (somebody was there all day and they said the doorbell never rang).

So the bill was €90, which seems absolutely extortionate. The packaging indicated that the monitor value was €200 and Belgian VAT is 21%.:mad: On the other hand, at the post office I just wanted to pick the thing up and get it home so this might be part of the cunning plan. The fact that it was held back for so long meant that I knew I could expect some form of an unpleasant surprise.

On the upside, it's beautiful and I haven't even bothered overclocking it yet. No dead pixels, no screen "bleed" that I can see and no loose casing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Hi guys, I've been trying to look at a 1440p monitor that can be overclocked to 120hz such as the Catleap Q270 2B Extreme but they don't deliver to Ireland.

Could anyone recommend a monitor that is both 1440p AND 120/144mhz?

Look for them on ebay.ie (as opposed to .com).

A lot don't get up to 120Hz/144Hz, but most will make it to at least 100Hz.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

To bump this, if you were to buy one now, ignoring the fact that 4K is looming, what would you go for?

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/QNIX-QX2710-Multi-True10-27-Matte-LED-Monitor-HDMI-2560x1440-Virtual-4K-QHD-/231206106322?pt=UK_Computing_ComputerComponents_Monitors&hash=item35d4f534d2

QNIX_DeadPixel_Common.jpg

That image worries me. How much of a "panel lottery" is it?

Full desk setup will be changing in ~2 months so I need to get my parts down so I can buy the arms and desk.

Nobody?

Anyone who has ordered one, get stung for VAT/Duty?

Most people have reported very few dead pixels, if any. For standard orders even, not just ones with a 'pixel perfect' premium. However, there's been one or two stories of loads of dead pixels to the extent where it was returned.

4K is still a bit of a way off for mainstream. At least a year until we get some good options, so I think that these are still a valid choice. Keep in mind the amount of graphics power for 4K too. Mind you, there's more variations of these available in European shops now, so I'd take a look around to see if there's anything else more suitable.

Most people will get charged VAT. Could be €70. Less if you're lucky.

Even if the taxman gets me its ~€340 all in, most reports say 95hz easy, higher if you're lucky, and I dont even have the GPU for that yet (will still game in 1080 for now), will probably pull the trigger on an X-Star (AH-VA Panel) based on Logans recommendations soon. Real estate for PS and developing will be amazing.

Cheers.

Yeah, it's pretty damn handy when you have multiple windows open for viewing at the same time. Really thought it was a worthwhile upgrade from a 23'' 1080P IPS.

• Advertisement

Well, its part of a larger plan for me.

22" IPS vertical
    27" 1440p AHVA Horizontal
    22" TN vertical

Basically annihilating my retinas if anything wakes them during the night.

Advertisement