Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yamakasi Catleap monitor club.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭OmegaRed

Update 2: Stupidly fast.....

Monitor just arrived and is sitting next to me in the office. can't wait to get it home.

Customs came to 39.08. Total cost delivered; €318.07

I think they declared it as £100 and not €100 but the additional cost is minor.

Update 3: WOW

No dead pixels and the tiniest amount of back light bleed in the bottom left, which is pretty unnoticeable.

Over clocked to 100mhz no problem, need food and will take it to 110!

My one grip is that its not height adjustable but i'll survive!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Not sure if these things are as good value as they were when you can get the likes of this for €290 + €12 delivery through geizhals.

http://www.hardwareversand.de/en/73+cm+%2829%29/94963/AOC+q2963Pm.article

I guess they aren't overclockable but they do have a 3 year warranty.

€16.... man i got so ripped off! Might as well fcuk it in the bin!

I'm not saying that, just showing there are similarly priced alternatives where as a year ago you were looking at €500-600 for the cheapest 1440p monitors and the korean ones were less than half the price.

It's a good option for those not willing to take a chance with one of these.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭rd1izb7lvpuksx

BloodBath wrote: »
    Not sure if these things are as good value as they were when you can get the likes of this for €290 + €12 delivery through geizhals.

http://www.hardwareversand.de/en/73+cm+%2829%29/94963/AOC+q2963Pm.article

I guess they aren't overclockable but they do have a 3 year warranty.

That Asus is 2560*1080 rather than 1440p. A different beast.

My bad. Bad habit calling anything around that resolution 1440p even though the pixel count and aspect ratio are very different.

How are the older owners monitors holding up? Been interested in one for a long time but had doubts about their longevity.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Danger781

I thought the Monitors with multiple input ports weren't overclockable? :confused:

Because I currently have mine running at 96Hz and there doesn't seem to be any issues... ? What should I be looking out for?

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭The Red

Exploding monitors.

HAHA kiddin.

If you are not getting any flickering and/or colour issues, then you might be sound. There are different versions of each of the brands it seems and I heard there are variations in the overclockability of some of the newer models so you might be ok but Id do a bit of checking around in the ebay dealers pages to see whats happening there.

The Red wrote: »
    Exploding monitors.

HAHA kiddin.

If you are not getting any flickering and/or colour issues, then you might be sound. There are different versions of each of the brands it seems and I heard there are variations in the overclockability of some of the newer models so you might be ok but Id do a bit of checking around in the ebay dealers pages to see whats happening there.

The only side-effect I've noticed is there is a very slight 'tv static' fuzziness going on in the background. TV static is about my best description! I don't even notice it though unless I'm very close to the monitor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I got that when I overclocked mine up to 115-120Hz, but I just had the single input one. At 96, I don't see anything like that. Bring it down another 10 and see if it goes away.

Monotype wrote: »
    I got that when I overclocked mine up to 115-120Hz, but I just had the single input one. At 96, I don't see anything like that. Bring it down another 10 and see if it goes away.

Do you have two XFire bridges on your cards?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Just a single card.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭raymix

How do you guys pay for customs? I can't seem to find Fedex 9 digit account number to pay for it online. There's a small bank check-ish thing on paper they sent me that has no reference to me whatsoever... just amount of money to pay. No idea how this works

raymix wrote: »
    How do you guys pay for customs? I can't seem to find Fedex 9 digit account number to pay for it online. There's a small bank check-ish thing on paper they sent me that has no reference to me whatsoever... just amount of money to pay. No idea how this works

Is it not DHL? I just called them on the number on the top, gave the shipment number and my crad details. Very painless process!

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭MarkJD

Looking to get some advice before i make a purchase. Previously had the QNIX QX2710 1440p monitor and was getting 110-120 overclocks pretty easily. I have a GTX 770 OC 4GB Edition so think that really helped. Anyways i sold it there recently as i have moved country and now that im here im looking to get another. I came across this on special for a Samsung 28" 4k Monitor @ 60hz via DP. Wondering what would people go for if buying a new monitor

Samsung TFT 28" 4k - http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/samsung-samsung-28-4k-ultra-hd-led-monitor-with-1ms-response-time-lu28d590ds-zc-black-lu28d590ds-zc/10287915.aspx?path=dcd85e7aa5d4756846b530e1823f9675en02

QNIX Q2710 - http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Perfect-Pixel-27-Slim-Qnix-QX2710-Evolution-II-LED-PLS-2560x1440-QHD-Monitor-/221413502872?pt=Computer_Monitors&hash=item338d45ef98

So about $170 more for the Samsung but it comes with the obvious warranties etc and there is the possibility the QNIX could be hit for customs. I will be sitting dead in front of the monitor so the viewing angle issue with TFT wont really bother me (unless really bad as iv never used) but what is better for FPS gaming. The 1ms or the possibility of an easy 100mhz over clock?

Appreciate some guidance :D

raymix wrote: »

I paid over the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭michaelotoole

The Samsung looks impressive... Native Resolution 3840 x 2160 and 1ms Grey-to-Grey :)

The Samsung looks impressive... Native Resolution 3840 x 2160 and 1ms Grey-to-Grey :)

So would you go with that withe QNIX as an alternative? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

MarkJD wrote: »
    So would you go with that withe QNIX as an alternative? :D

You would need a LOT of gpu to run 4k man,unless you want to be playing at 30fps,something like 2 x r9 290x or 2x gtx 780's would be what you would be looking at and that wont even do for 4k at 60fps for the more demanding games. Then you would need a PSU to power it and a board to support sli/cf,could be an expensive upgrade.

Just something to keep in mind if you do get the 4k monitor

• Advertisement

Yea very true. I was more thinking of getting it as an investment maybe. I just got a new rig and i plan to run 2 x 770 oc 4GB but just one at the moment. My plan was to run the Samsung at 2560 x 1440 for the time being but being aware i would be limited to 60 hz. Do you think i will miss the overclock 100hz of the QNIX more than i would welcome to 1ms difference compared to the 8ms of the QNIX?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

I dont really notice the response time being slow on the Qnix,but thats just me so i dont feel like its a problem. Did you feel like it was a problem? 1ms would obviously be nice but again i really dont notice it being a problem and id mainly be an fps player as well

Not sure how 1440p would look on a native 4k panel.

I was going to go 4k awhile ago but looking at it and pricing the upgrade it was to expensive imo. GPU's need to do a bit of catching up first,personally i decided to stick with the Qnix till the price/performance gets a bit better at 4k.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Buying a 4k Monitor is not Hard, running the damn thing is where challenge is. Its like buying a Performance car. Buying one is easy, but running it on day to day bases is hard.

I would go with Qnix over 4k monitor. 4k is nice, but its just at worse point in value for money line right now. We need to see what will 8 series nvidia will offer, but my guess is, that we will be able to run 1440p comfortably enough.

Then again, I will be going with 34inch 3840x1440 when I can. Which is less dpi, but more usable screen estate.

Ok great thanks guys. Helped me make my mind up. Gonna go with the QNIX so. Hopefully i get a decent one that can OC and isnt riddled with backlight bleed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

If anyone is looking to sell one of his qnix can you please pm me? Thanks

Anyone find their QNIX / XSTAR is very dark for watching series on? I always find that when I'm watching something on it, the dark scenes are almost impossible to make out whereas on my TV they would be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭The Red

Well I know on the Qnix, you have to hold down one of the "seemingly ineffective" buttons on the bottom and the brightness slowly comes up. You might think that those buttons dont actually do anything, but they do.

Try that, if you havent already!

Ian.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭michaelotoole

On some monitors the buttons don't appear to do anything... in these cases you can use the nVidea control centre to modify brightness...

I have the monitor with the built on OSD menu so adjusting brightness isn't an issue. It's up very high on the monitor itself, about 85.

in CCC I have it slightly above default, with the AMD Video Player Settings set to Bright (Video -> Colour)

Also fiddled with some VLC settings to no avail.

It may just be an exceptionally dark episode, I'm not sure. My TV did a slightly better job.

• Advertisement

After further fiddling I'm a lot happier now! :)

Paused the video on the scene where I could hardly make out who was talking, set the backlight to an acceptable level and went with the AMD settings from there! :)

Advertisement