Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yamakasi Catleap monitor club.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,409 ✭✭✭Nollog

Fedex will mail you a bill in a couple of weeks, they are crooks imo.

With a nice 12% "administration" fee and all.
    DHL in fairness didn't charge me anything themselves I think, or maybe it was 2 euro. Something small or nothing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

yeah dhl charged me 40 cent administration fee

wont lie, I was pissed off when I read the invoice this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Didihno

Well I'm posting this from my new build pc on my shiny new Catleap.
    Dear God, so many pixels.
    I'll check them tomorrow for stuckness and whatnot, but so far, wow.
    Just freaking wow.

The stand though, is total rubbish. Even typing sends the screen jittering.
    There has to be something can be done about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,014 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Didihno wrote: »
    Well I'm posting this from my new build pc on my shiny new Catleap.
    Dear God, so many pixels.
    I'll check them tomorrow for stuckness and whatnot, but so far, wow.
    Just freaking wow.

The stand though, is total rubbish. Even typing sends the screen jittering.
    There has to be something can be done about that.

Get a better desk :P

Mine is wobbely if i touch the monitor, but its solid from me typing/leaning on desk etc.

I've actually ordered a wall mount from Amazon, I'll post up pics and my thoughts on it when i have it stuck up. It has a fairly large reach which i need as my monitor is in the corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Get a better desk :P

Mine is wobbely if i touch the monitor, but its solid from me typing/leaning on desk etc.

I've actually ordered a wall mount from Amazon, I'll post up pics and my thoughts on it when i have it stuck up. It has a fairly large reach which i need as my monitor is in the corner.

Are cheap VESA mounts worth it/safe? Back in the day they used to all be like €150 but with ones going for that money I'd be tempted. Have 2 SDS drills in the house so mounting them would be p1ss easy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,409 ✭✭✭Nollog

I opened a dispute with paypal and green-sum's going to have dhl collect it at their expense etc.
    Said they had a hard time convincing the manufacturer that dark pixels were a defect, but now they are apparantly.
    No idea what that means but *shrug*

Sent off an email to customs about replacements being exempt just to be sure, I'll call them when this cold gets out of my nose.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭God Father

I have just noticed that the left half of my Catleap is darker/more gray, than the right side. :(

It's noticeable on a white background but also on boards.ie, as the blue background on a thread is a darker blue on the left side. :( Bummer

Also a good bit of light bleed in the bottom left corner but that I find ok overall.

/\/ollog wrote: »
    I opened a dispute with paypal and green-sum's going to have dhl collect it at their expense etc.
    Said they had a hard time convincing the manufacturer that dark pixels were a defect, but now they are apparantly.
    No idea what that means but *shrug*

Sent off an email to customs about replacements being exempt just to be sure, I'll call them when this cold gets out of my nose.

In fairness you cant really argue with that so far. Paypal disputes are crazy powerful for the buyer. Paypal will warn you when your dispute is going to expire, if you have not received ( different from being promised) a satisfactory resolution (refund/new monitor) make sure you escalate it. Say in the escalation report what the current status is (Even if its something like "replacement is on route, will update when it arrives")

Also make sure that the replacement is 100% as you want it, as you wont have a recourse if you close the dispute.

In happier news, my mount arm arrived. So I will be attempting to install that once my GF gets up (i dont think she'd appreciate the noise of the drill as she's sleeping!)

The mount I got was this one (get the one sold/fufilled by amazon for cheaper delivery)

I also got this 5m long dual link DVI cable that im happy to report works!

(just add something else to your basket to bring it over £25 to get free shipping on the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Looking gloomy on the 3rd party OC PCB front :/

• Advertisement

So I got the monitor hung up on the arm last night.

Its tough enough to get the Catleap open to remove the silver arch, once its open its easy enough, although it really helps if you have a second person holding the panel as you plug back in the cables.

As for the stand/arm, well thats ok at the moment.

It seems easily strong enough to hold the monitor. And how easy/stiff it is to rotate can be easily controlled by tightening/loosing that bolt.

The problem with it is it has too much give where the monitor attaches to the arm, the monitor can be tilted left and right (not much, but easily enough to be noticeable) when it should not be able to at all. Its perfectly usable at the moment, but after it is moved I need to adjust it so its not crooked

I think the problem is I cant tighten the bolt that attaches the Vesa mount to the arm tight enough, It has a hand screwy nut and its in an awkward position, its just not possible to generate enough power to tighten it anymore. I think i might try get a nut i can tighten with a wrench to see does that make any difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,886 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Wouldnt mind seeing a pic of your setup witnessmenow

Headshot wrote: »
    Wouldnt mind seeing a pic of your setup witnessmenow

no problem, I'll throw one up when i get home (and after I've cleaned my desk :) )

I didnt take any of the arch removing process and its fairly well described on overclock.net

Posted this elsewhere yesterday, but here's my setup. Still have to get a monitor arm.

BSruAl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

What speakers are they?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

• Advertisement

How is a still going to show the difference between refresh rates? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

awesome, that's my next investment some time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭God Father

Here is some pics of my White Yamakasi I got off BCC.

Pulled the old pc desk out of the garage, it needs a good sanding down but will do for now.

Also transferred my "bits" from a NZXT lexia blackline case to a Define R3 I picked up on Adverts last week.
    Cable managment is at least now possible and I really like the case :) Have to move onto the floor though as it is still loud enough to annoy me.

spc9yf.jpg

33uu2rb.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

God Father wrote: »
    Cable managment is at least now possible and I really like the case :)

Glad to hear you like the case :). I've been waiting to see the pics of the white Catleap here - I've been stalking this thread for ages and was pleased to see a white version came out, as I think it'll fit better with my current case, a white/black Corsair Carbide 500R.

Damn Steam sale is violating my credit card right now though but I still think I'm going to break down and order one of these soon...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

How is a still going to show the difference between refresh rates? :pac:

Its obvious, when you watch a movie at 25fps a refresh rate of 120hz/60fps is a absolute must to experience it better.

Its obvious, when you watch a movie at 25fps a refresh rate of 120hz/60fps is a absolute must to experience it better.

No, what I'm saying is that comparing two pictures (stills) of a movie, one at 60hz and one at 120hz is utterly pointless as it's not showing the fluidity of 120hz - it's a picture!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

No, what I'm saying is that comparing two pictures (stills) of a movie, one at 60hz and one at 120hz is utterly pointless as it's not showing the fluidity of 120hz - it's a picture!

And I'm saying that there isn't a difference when playing a movie in any case. You would only see a difference in gaming or using 3d interlacing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

I don't know about anyone else but I hate watching movies above 25fps. It looks really shoddy and unprofessional, and makes me feel a bit queasy :o. I enjoy it in games though, anything less than 35fps is too slow.

There's a video of 50fps in this link

It's in the middle of the article.

• Advertisement

And I'm saying that there isn't a difference when playing a movie in any case. You would only see a difference in gaming or using 3d interlacing.

Oh, think we were arguing two very different points there :pac:

Advertisement