Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yamakasi Catleap monitor club.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

Monotype wrote: »
    The quality of the panel itself should be near identical to the Dell U2711 (bezel and stand aside). The U2412M would be very similar quality as another panel in the IPS range - perhaps slightly inferior as not having the full 8-bit colours (probably not really even noticeable to the human eye) but still vastly superior to regular TN panels in terms of colour.

The catleap does have a glossy screen though, if that factors into your decision.

Thanks Monotype. Don't really mind the glossy screen. I think I'll roll the dice on the Catleap so. Have people here generally been receiving good units without dead pixels and bright spots etc?
    I'm getting it as part of a new build. Still trying to decide between a GTX 670 and and AMD 7970 for GPU.
    Whatever GPU you go for, you won't be disappointed :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Fiddlex

My monitor arrived in Dublin at 4am today and now it's been in "clearance delay" since 10am. Anyone know how long this takes? In guessing it's to do with customs...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

I am looking to buying one of the Yamakasi monitors, but looking on ebay, there seems to be cheap ones for under 300 euro, and then there is ones for more than 300, usually adverising Perfect Pixel etc, are these dearer ones better, ie, less chance of getting a dead pixels etc.

I am looking to buying one of the Yamakasi monitors, but looking on ebay, there seems to be cheap ones for under 300 euro, and then there is ones for more than 300, usually adverising Perfect Pixel etc, are these dearer ones better, ie, less chance of getting a dead pixels etc.

Perfect Pixel means they will check the monitor for any dead pixels before they send it out to you, making sure you get a good one. The cheaper one won't be checked so it's kind of a gamble without perfect pixel.

Got hit with custom charges of 34€ ! It's not that bad though, just brings the total to 290€!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Fiddlex wrote: »
    Got hit with custom charges of 34€ ! It's not that bad though, just brings the total to 290€!
    that's nothing really.

who'd you order from?

any dead or stuck pixels?

what you think of it? :D

I still haven't paid my customs, and probably won't. I don't feel the need to give the government any more than I do already. It should be untaxable anyway, seeing as its not possible to buy monitor in Ireland, so I'm not costing our economy anything anyway, but that's a rant for a different thread.

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    Fiddlex wrote: »
    that's nothing really.

who'd you order from?

any dead or stuck pixels?

what you think of it? :D

I still haven't paid my customs, and probably won't. I don't feel the need to give the government any more than I do already. It should be untaxable anyway, seeing as its not possible to buy monitor in Ireland, so I'm not costing our economy anything anyway, but that's a rant for a different thread.

I ordered from green-sum on eBay last Monday

No dead/stuck pixels or backlight bleeding it's perfect and I'm so happy :D
    It's such a beast of a monitor 27" is a big jump from my old 19". Although the stand is very flimsy and my monitor is tilting downwards, The quality is amazing and it's definitely my best purchase ever!

Yeah I wouldn't have paid them either but stupid dhl wouldn't give me my package until I paid dhl back for the costs haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭stevenf17

Just for anyone who has one, go onto here and click on download trailer http://timescapes.org/trailers/default.aspx

Make sure you pick the "Trailer 2: TimeScapes 4k 2560p (for 30 inch monitors only)" it's 4K scaled down to 2560x1440 at ~33Mbps, but still pretty amazing!
    It's 552MB for the 2m 18s video btw! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

I think that trailer is pretty gross. The composited timelapse sequences are very artificial and over-sharp looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

This video is much better imo - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D30a61m5byk
    Watch it in Original. 358MB Download.

• Advertisement

Anandtech have reviewed the Achieva Shimian, which uses the same panel as the Catleap I'm pretty sure.

Link

Eboggles wrote: »
    Anandtech have reviewed the Achieva Shimian, which uses the same panel as the Catleap I'm pretty sure.

Link
    it was odd that anand didn't make any mention of the overclock feature. I suspect he didn't do his homework, or maybe didn't have very long to write it up. suppose it could be because it's only the catleaps that (potentially) support OC, and didn't want to go confusing everyone over the variety of makes.

still though, nice to see some solid numbers for a screen I know is second to none.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭God Father

http://www.irishexporters.ie/section/EUSouthKoreaFreeTradeAgreementFTA

Does this only apply to exports? What about no import duty on imports like the USA have with South Korea in their FTA?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

ToastyX has modified the drivers for AMD cards to allow 120 Hz http://120hz.net/showthread.php?270-Modified-AMD-ATI-driver-to-allow-higher-refresh-rates

Brian wrote: »
    ToastyX has modified the drivers for AMD cards to allow 120 Hz http://120hz.net/showthread.php?270-Modified-AMD-ATI-driver-to-allow-higher-refresh-rates
    interestingly, it looks like AMD is favorable again for these monitors. nvidia can only do 120hz if using a single card iirc, and this update works for crossfire. now give me an OC PCB already!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

interestingly, it looks like AMD is favorable again for these monitors. nvidia can only do 120hz if using a single card iirc, and this update works for crossfire. now give me an OC PCB already!

Tea bag what would my xfired 6970`s be putting out in hertz then..
    Im running a lg w2363d 120 hz monitor...

dwighet wrote: »
    Tea bag what would my xfired 6970`s be putting out in hertz then..
    Im running a lg w2363d 120 hz monitor...
    you'd be doing the full 120hz obviously. and had you been using nvidia SLI you'd also do 120hz without a problem.

thing is, you're 'only' at 1080p, which is a breeze for the cards. at 2560*1440, to achieve 120hz on a card, the pixel clock and the RAMDAC (both are processors on the GPU) has to be physically OC'd, and they've been unable to get a stable OC when using 2 cards, until now, but limited to AMD.

if you're interested, the drivers from Brians link says ".. will raise the pixel clock limit to 600 MHz"

on nvidia the stock pixel clock is 400Mhz, but AMD only uses 333Mhz, so a 600Mhz OC is quite substantial.

you'd be doing the full 120hz obviously. and had you been using nvidia SLI you'd also do 120hz without a problem.

thing is, you're 'only' at 1080p, which is a breeze for the cards. at 2560*1440, to achieve 120hz on a card, the pixel clock and the RAMDAC (both are processors on the GPU) has to be physically OC'd, and they've been unable to get a stable OC when using 2 cards, until now, but limited to AMD.

if you're interested, the drivers from Brians link says ".. will raise the pixel clock limit to 600 MHz"

on nvidia the stock pixel clock is 400Mhz, but AMD only uses 333Mhz, so a 600Mhz OC is quite substantial.

Im with ya....thanks for clearing that up for me...Im mad to get a catleap (oc) but them fooking bills keep comng in...lol

soon..very soon...fook the bills I say..

Can I join the club?:D

Just ordered a Potalion 2560x1440 27" from Bigclothcraft for a price of €286. I'm so excited, it's just like christmas. I'll post photo's if ye like :).

And by the way, it comes with perfect pixel, so I hope to receive a perfect monitor.

Woohoo!

I'm very excited. Very excited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I'm really interested in this monitor. I have a 570gtx. If I was to run battlefield at 1900x1080 on it how would it look? I won't be updating my graphics card for ages and 60fps is important to me.

• Advertisement

Quick update on this; just landed in Dublin at 6am this morning, but after refreshing the page a few minutes ago it's at "Clearance Delay". Can someone clarify what this means? Am I going to be charged? I'm with DHL by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

tuxy wrote: »
    I'm really interested in this monitor. I have a 570gtx. If I was to run battlefield at 1900x1080 on it how would it look? I won't be updating my graphics card for ages and 60fps is important to me.

Have a look at how many frames your getting at the moment. It's a lot of extra pixels that you're powering.

1920×1080 = 2,073,600
    2560×1440 = 3,686,400

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

My GTX570 with a 2500k and 8GB RAM runs BF3 at about 60 FPS on high (motion blur off and such) at 1080p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

My GTX570 with a 2500k and 8GB RAM runs BF3 at about 60 FPS on high (motion blur off and such) at 1080p

I'm sure it does, so does mine. But how does that look running on a 1440p monitor? Is the image blurred?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I'm sure it does, so does mine. But how does that look running on a 1440p monitor? Is the image blurred?

I don't think you can run these monitors at anything less than 1440p!

I don't think you can run these monitors at anything less than 1440p!

Really? Oh God, my 6850 is in for a bruising :D. Still in customs... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

A 6850? I hope you're just running Unreal Tournament (99) on it. Then again, I've seen a 6870 used with the dell 27'' and it wasn't as bad as one might expect but that was only a few quick tests.

ATM I'm just playing Tribes, so I should be OK for now. But when I feel the urge to install BF3 again, I'll be sliding in a 7970 (Tahiti #2?) or a GTX 670/680.
    Funds permitting, of course :D.

Which cards would be best for the catleap overclocked for playing bf3:
    2x 680"s or 2x 7970"s

• Advertisement

these monitors can be run at most resolutions without a problem.

its very fun playing BF3 at 800*600 @27" low detail for giggles. almost reminds me of my Xbox :o

as for running a 570 @ 1080p, I've no idea, cause I don't have one :( if its struggling to hold 60fps now, its not going to be anywhere near it at 1440p.

everything looks surprisingly good at 1080p fwiw.

Clearance Delay is nothing to be worried about. everyone gets it. it is likely you'll pay customs though :(

now that those drivers are out for AMD, I'd be leaning to 7970's. they're cheaper, OC very well, 3gb of vram will be useful etc etc. I'd look into what most people are running on 120hz.net though to be sure.

Advertisement