Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AH full of people trying to be funny and failing

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

I think it might dissuade more sensitive people from joining in in AH.

The thanks thing is not stopping anybody from fucking around on some internet forum, if they're that timid they'd have already had a stroke at the sight of their computer screen turning on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

I understand that, but with all this "witty humour" flying about, people who get a lot of "no thanks" would soon give up spamming this place with nonsense

Once again, that is flawed logic. My own personal AH posting is a mix of serious and humourous, people's reaction to either doesn't have any impact on my posting style one way or the other.

I think you are making the mistake of assuming the people give a **** what other people think, when the vast majority of people really don't.

It's a comforting thought , that our opinion and our expression of taste is important, but it really isn't. I really doubt a "no thanks" button would change the posting style of any poster on boards...mainly because i remember boards before the thanks button and it had very little impact on the way people posted when it came in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I found the post you were complaining about and thanked it just to annoy you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

We had a rep system and caused issues. That's why we have a thanks system now
    It keeps a load of pointless posts that do nothing but quote other posts and say "+1" off the board, so it's pretty handy in that respect.

It would be interesting to see if it makes any difference. Mods could easily put a warning no ''+1'' comments. Does it really matter that people agree with what we post or if we are funny etc? Is this the purpose of the thank button?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

I like giving thanks to posts I find funny, interesting, or anything else that I deem "thanks worthy".

There are some genuinely good posts and posters on this here forum of ours, it's a small thing but it saves us from posts consisting solely of "lol" and "rofl" and "lmao" and the dreaded "roflmao".

• Advertisement

hondasam wrote: »
    It would be interesting to see if it makes any difference. Mods could easily put a warning no ''+1'' comments. Does it really matter that people agree with what we post or if we are funny etc? Is this the purpose of the thank button?

Yeah, but then you have to go around telling everyone "no +1 posts" and people will do it anyway, then get infracted, then moan about infractions and it will go on and on.

Handier to either turn thanks off or leave it on, no real point in bringing in any other changes.

It would be interesting to check the thanks ratio of people who don't want the system versus those who do.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Sindri wrote: »
    Okay. Lets be serious for a second. So what you're advocating is the many many posters posting subjectively should A) either stop or B) post for your amusement only. Or (and I'm coming from left field here, bare with me) C) you can either deal with it without being a little bitch or you can post somewhere else because either AHs will change or you will change or you'll have to put up with it which appears to be a task beyond you.

Feedback>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> FTW! :pac:

I've been banned from feedback for years :o ha

Explain how i'm being a little bitch, just pointing out something that i see as wrong with this place

We had a rep system and caused issues. That's why we have a thanks system now

Pussyhurt people ruined it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

If you have such a problem with the thanks feature, why do you use it?

It keeps a load of pointless posts that do nothing but quote other posts and say "+1" off the board, so it's pretty handy in that respect.

Totally agree with that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

I've been banned from feedback for years :o ha

Explain how i'm being a little bitch, just pointing out something that i see as wrong with this place

Just deal with it. It's the ****ing internet FFS, you think I or anyone else takes it seriously? It's AH, that's the nature of the place like.

Once again, that is flawed logic. My own personal AH posting is a mix of serious and humourous, people's reaction to either doesn't have any impact on my posting style one way or the other.

I think you are making the mistake of assuming the people give a **** what other people think, when the vast majority of people really don't.

It's a comforting thought , that our opinion and our expression of taste is important, but it really isn't. I really doubt a "no thanks" button would change the posting style of any poster on boards...mainly because i remember boards before the thanks button and it had very little impact on the way people posted when it came in.

The first page of most AH threads, are people looking for thanks

The thanks system is also very useful in other forums. In Photography it's a very easy way to let someone know you like there shot...and is very useful in the Random Photo threads because you just get non-stop photos, no occasional shots broken up by loads of "nice shot" posts.
    The first page of most AH threads, are people looking for thanks

In your opinion. AH is a nonserious place for the most part, so you get none serious posts.

It's far easier to just stop posting in AH, rather than trying to change an entire board wide system to suit yourself which is why these threads and suggestions are never met with any degree of seriousness by anyone.

Yeah, but then you have to go around telling everyone "no +1 posts" and people will do it anyway, then get infracted, then moan about infractions and it will go on and on.

Handier to either turn thanks off or leave it on, no real point in bringing in any other changes.

It would be interesting to check the thanks ratio of people who don't want the system versus those who do.

This is more about the people who go around looking for "thanks"

Namlub wrote: »
    If you have such a problem with the thanks feature, why do you use it?

Me not using it, isn't going to solve anything for me, i don't have a huge problem with it, i have a problem with the **** it brings to forums like AH

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

It is right to give thanks and praise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

After hours is a thread where people go when no other thread wants them , dont take that away . If you want to discuss something seriously put it in the relevant forum , if you dont come here. You should try the thunderdrone Irish , youd love it.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=484

You can be as angry as you like in there.

Honestly, who gives a **** if people go around looking for thanks?

I mean, i could read a post that has been thanked 70+ times by people who find it funny, yet I won't find it funny.

It's really not important why the person posted it.

People will put their hand on their heart and swear that Tommy Tiernan is funny, I just think he's a spastic. It doesn't mean that he is absolutely not funny, it just means i don't find him funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Me not using it, isn't going to solve anything for me, i don't have a huge problem with it, i have a problem with the **** it brings to forums like AH

That shit is minuscule, typically limited to the first page and regularly results in a genuinely funny read.

Thank whores who don't get thanks run out of steam and write proper posts or stop browsing AH. Those that do get thanks aren't an issue (because clearly people are enjoying their posts).

Natural Selection at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

The "thanks" button has ruined AH but lets see who can find the unfunniest reply ever

Here's an example:

Thread topic

**** off the thanks button has ruined ah... personal insecurity and a means to suppress it for the win ! :cool:

• Advertisement

cloptrop wrote: »
    After hours is a thread where people go when no other thread wants them , dont take that away . If you want to discuss something seriously put it in the relevant forum , if you dont come here. You should try the thunderdrone Irish , youd love it.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=484

You can be as angry as you like in there.

I'm not angry, dunno why people think i'm on some sort of rage rampage :pac:

Honestly, who gives a **** if people go around looking for thanks?

Its clusters up threads. no?

I mean, i could read a post that has been thanked 70+ times by people who find it funny, yet I won't find it funny.

It's really not important why the person posted it.

People will put their hand on their heart and swear that Tommy Tiernan is funny, I just think he's a spastic. It doesn't mean that he is absolutely not funny, it just means i don't find him funny.

But you don't have to see him all the time (like you do with unfunny stuff in AH threads)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Fighting Irish, I'd say this forum would be more your speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

EGAR wrote: »
    :confused:
    :)

Fighting Irish, I'd say this forum would be more your speed.

If only you knew :o :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I think you're always going to get people trying to be witty who aren't, even though I think the people who complain about it on AH exaggerate how much it happens.

It's just a fact of life, in real life and on the internet. We all look for approval from others. Sometimes it's unconscious, and people are more and less secure in themselves so the degree to which people do it varies.

It's always going to be a part of life. People like to be liked, so they do things that they think will make others like them, such as making posts they think will be funny (also, how are people supposed to know they're not funny, and thus not post?).

You might as well try to stop people making jokes down the pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,334 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Yes that can be me sometimes but I can actually be funny without intending to be funny surprisingly enough!

If you try too hard then you are not funny but when you don't try too hard you end up being funny true story bro!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Sorry mate, but you're trying way too hard :o

I'm not trying at all actually. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

Sindri wrote: »
    I'm not trying at all actually. ;)

Shit just got real.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement