Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AH full of people trying to be funny and failing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

tunedout wrote: »
    oh ya. cos i'm worried whether i'm popular or not in 'AH'

ha you have me in stitches

KeithM89 wrote: »
    Banned.

ban the funny :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

ban the funny :pac:

Youre safe then :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

oh no he didnt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭Jess16

WTF is wrong with using acronyms?
    then you're a f*ggot too
    You're going be very popular round here. Bit harsh no?
    oh ya. cos i'm worried whether i'm popular or not in 'AH'
    Sindri wrote: »
    What's that supposed to mean?
    Darn I forgot that we are not supposed to feed the trolls
    Banned.

It's like a focking Eastenders Omnibus in here

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

hondasam wrote: »
    He is saying you are the biggest thank whore in AH's.

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Now that was funny

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I took the thing. and, and drove it into a friggen bus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

This is just downright disgraceful. I have posted over 1000 times and 97 percent of them have been attempts at being funny . 3 percent were probably just abusive or attempts at derailing a thread. One day I hope to come up with something funny , maybe even world endingly funny . This will make listening to every crappy pun I can come up with worthwhile because monkeys -typewriters - shakespeare .
    Bating people for being unfunny just scares funny people into being quiet for fear of being unfunny . You cant have that OP.
    Im sure you are a very serious and very angry person just from your name and posts. Maybe after hours isnt for you . It is for silly jokes . What your doing is the same as going to the science forum and complaining about all the science.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭A0

The "thanks" button has ruined AH but lets see who can find the unfunniest reply ever

Here's an example:

Thread topic

Very true... see here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056583713 (Post #15)
    or here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056584653 (Post #6)

FatherLen wrote: »
    stop being such a buzz kill

I'm all for fun and games, but it's just so cringe :o

A0 wrote: »

Finally, someone who wants to play along with the idea of this thread :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭HUNK

I usually "thank" stuff that's funny enough though the "thank" system is ghey, well a thank system like reddit is great but thats never gonna happen here

I'm still not too sure about the reddit system tbh.

It makes sense for reddit as they have the whole frontpage thing goin' on. Worthwile stuff will get to the front page so its kinda like a quality control measure. So if someone thinks a topic/pic/whatever isn't frontpage worthy they can downvote it so it will get less exposure. But you can see a problem with that already. Sometimes people downvote stuff for personal and petty reasons, and aren't as objective as they'd like to think they are.

Imagine we had that on boards. Boards is a relatively smaller community to reddit. Regulars know each other quite well... and some regulars don't really like others for reasons A, B, or C. Lets say, for example, someone posts something in AH (be it a topic or comment or whatever). Someone downvotes it for a completely unrelated reason maybe because they disagreed on another forum about some unrelated topic, and of course they kinda took it personally. If you only have the ability to upvote (thank) a post, then you can't downvote it for some stupid petty personal or unrelated reason. If you don't like something you can simply not thank it and move on.

Reddit could still use the boards system for quality control anyway and it would still work out fine. Boards uses it for post of the day and it still works out fine.

Both have their problems, but I think I'd go with the thank system if I HAD to choose simply for the above reasons.

Besides, the thank system lessens all the "this" and "+1" bullshit :D. At least if someone dislikes something and wants others to know, pressure gets put on them to give reasons why.

Why do you prefer the reddit system anyway? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

I'm all for fun and games, but it's just so cringe :o

It's cringe to you and funny to others, what difference does it make who laughs or who thanks other posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

OP, why you mad brah?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Fighting Irish, I think it's poor form to pick on individual posts from other threads and hold them up as examples of people not being funny.
    At least they're trying to be entertaining.

It's not against the charter as the posts are from AH (I think), but it's not very nice.

What should AH be like, and how to you contribute to the forum to make it the way you want?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

Oh Sindri, what wackiness will he come up with next in his search of praise and adulation? Ha, find out next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

The "thanks" button has ruined AH but lets see who can find the unfunniest reply ever

Here's an example:

Thread topic

Chape laughs are what made this country great.

Laughs on credit ruined it :(

• Advertisement

guitarzero wrote: »
    Oh Sindri, what wackiness will he come up with next in his search of praise and adulation? Ha, find out next time.

I enjoy reading some peoples posts and there are regulars who nearly always come up with something good . Sindri usually makes me laugh . A couple of bad jokes isnt the worse thing in the world . Just block him if he gets you down so much .

He must have joined forces with the op to come up with this thread, now everyone is talking about him.
    Good plan Sindy. good plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

He must have joined forces with the op to come up with this thread, now everyone is talking about him.
    Good plan Sindy. good plan.

Conspiracy Thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Before the thanks system did people only post funny stuff? Also if people were too worried about getting crap off the likes of you OP for posting unfunny stuff then a lot of genuinely funny stuff would never get posted either.

Conspiracy Thread?

Don't underestimate Sindy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭A0

HUNK wrote: »

It makes sense for reddit as they have the whole frontpage thing goin' on. Worthwile stuff will get to the front page so its kinda like a quality control measure. So if someone thinks a topic/pic/whatever isn't frontpage worthy they can downvote it so it will get less exposure. But you can see a problem with that already. Sometimes people downvote stuff for personal and petty reasons, and aren't as objective as they'd like to think they are.

Imagine we had that on boards. Boards is a relatively smaller community to reddit. Regulars know each other quite well... and some regulars don't really like others for reasons A, B, or C. Lets say, for example, someone posts something in AH (be it a topic or comment or whatever). Someone downvotes it for a completely unrelated reason maybe because they disagreed on another forum about some unrelated topic, and of course they kinda took it personally. If you only have the ability to upvote (thank) a post, then you can't downvote it for some stupid petty personal or unrelated reason. If you don't like something you can simply not thank it and move on.

Reddit could still use the boards system for quality control anyway and it would still work out fine. Boards uses it for post of the day and it still works out fine.

Both have their problems, but I think I'd go with the thank system if I HAD to choose simply for the above reasons.

Besides, the thank system lessens all the "this" and "+1" bullshit :D. At least if someone dislikes something and wants others to know, pressure gets put on them to give reasons why.

+ 1.3

I dont do it for the thanks I just do it for attention . What kinda thanks will this get from the over serious complaing brigade
    The thread is about bertie ahearne or some tribunal ****.
    I wonder what deal he swung to get his daughter that publishing deal . They were even making movies out of her ****e . He must have gave planning permission to penguin books. Ark ark ark.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Meh, I mean COME ON, this is AH! Why would anyone get their knickers in a twist about people trying to be funny etc. You read it or not, you reply or not and that's about it.

HUNK wrote: »

reddit is the new forum type of the future, mark my words!

• Advertisement

It's cringe to you and funny to others, what difference does it make who laughs or who thanks other posters.

If it was funny. it would be getting "thanks"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement