Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AH full of people trying to be funny and failing

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

reddit is the new forum type of the future, mark my words!
    Which button do I click for marking your words?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Owen_S wrote: »
    OP, why you mad brah?

come_at_me_bro.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

If it was funny. it would be getting "thanks"

It might be funny but not hilarious. Some people rarely use the thanks button.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

I hated the thanks thing when I joined first but now I can whore myself with the best of them in AH (except Sindri).
    Sindri wrote: »
    What's that supposed to mean? :(I thought you likey me?

What's the craic with Sindri getting such a rough time? :confused: I think his posts are pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

tunedout wrote: »
    what really annoys me is the f*ggots that use 'AH' as an abbreviation for this forum.

It's right up there with people who use "is" instead of "are" tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I think negative threads where people complain about how bad AH has got without offering any constructive criticism or attempting to make AH better do much more damage to the forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

I really want a thanks button & an 'unthanks' button, and also to be able to see who has thanked & unthanked me. Oh, the hours of fun I'd have, whoring after my thankers, and blasting my unthankers with witty putdowns which are just sufficiently short of being abusive to prevent me from getting banned...

Me & my mates could trawl through users profiles & find thanks & unthanks targets!! Yesss! the capacity for general trollage, clique formation, & mental masturbation would be absolutely endless!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

FoxT wrote: »
    I really want a thanks button & an 'unthanks' button, and also to be able to see who has thanked & unthanked me. Oh, the hours of fun I'd have, whoring after my thankers, and blasting my unthankers with witty putdowns which are just sufficiently short of being abusive to prevent me from getting banned...

Me & my mates could trawl through users profiles & find thanks & unthanks targets!! Yesss! the capacity for general trollage, clique formation, & mental masturbation would be absolutely endless!

I'm scared

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

I think the only solution is to have Mods delete comments that arent funny. If they continue to post unfunny comments then its a warning.

cloptrop wrote: »
    Which button do I click for marking your words?

In forums like boards, it's so much work to see if someone has quoted or replied to something you've said

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

FoxT wrote: »

I like this concept of mental masturbation. Please continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭catthinkin

i hate this thread the countries fcuked
    economy fcuked
    euro fcuked
    now ah ?

cause it was all so much better when it started like ibiza mannnnnnnn

wilkie2006 wrote: »
    What's the craic with Sindri getting such a rough time? :confused: I think his posts are pretty good.

btw, i only used singri as an example, nothing personal

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭MickySticks

In forums like boards, it's so much work to see if someone has quoted or replied to something you've said
    And yet 10 years and 5,500+ posts later you're still here whinging.

I think negative threads where people complain about how bad AH has got without offering any constructive criticism or attempting to make AH better do much more damage to the forum.

Have i not said it already? have a "no thanks" button, this might stop the wannabe funny people in their tracks and make boards not just AH a better quality forum :)

btw, i only used singri as an example, nothing personal

Then get my nom de guerre right! I'm not a ****ing cocktail!

You should note I have decided to troll this thread into oblivion, coz that's just how I operate. :cool:

catthinkin wrote: »
    i hate this thread the countries fcuked
    economy fcuked
    euro fcuked
    now ah ?

cause it was all so much better when it started like ibiza mannnnnnnn

da fook

And yet 10 years and 5,500+ posts later you're still here whinging.

I've said it before, i'm irish and this is the biggest irish forum, i come here for irishy stuff, for internety stuff, i go elsewhere

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Who cares what someone else says looking for thanks, sure you're all not real anyway

Sindri wrote: »
    Then get my nom de guerre right! I'm not a ****ing cocktail!

You should note I have decided to troll this thread into oblivion, coz that's just how I operate. :cool:

Troll away Singri, but try make it funny for once :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

If its appropriate then yeah throw in something like that but coming onto Boards just to try and post "funny" comments it is a bit sad.

It doesn't wind me up that much, the thank system is handy as you're scrolling down and see a whole chunk of thanks its usually worth having a look at, otherwise I can easily ignore any lame posts (which we are all entitled to make) but one post was really sad, once I was talking about a friend with an illness, and yes I did get a reply with a really lame "joke" about their aliment basically about them, if it was funny, related, or I said something silly that would be meh what it is, like If I was talking about my mothers illness and someone just replied yor ma it wouldn't phase me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

I'd hardly say i'm trying

Have i not said it already? have a "no thanks" button, this might stop the wannabe funny people in their tracks and make boards not just AH a better quality forum :)

It really wouldn't. You'd just end up with people who dislike a poster "no thanking" every post they make and it would result in pointless spats breaking out in threads.

I mean, i reckon you'd feel pretty bad if you looked over this thread and noticed that i had effectively given the thumbs down to every post you made, which is pretty much what would have happened.

saa wrote: »
    If its appropriate then yeah throw in something like that but coming onto Boards just to try and post "funny" comments it is a bit sad.

It doesn't wind me up that much, the thank system is handy as you're scrolling down and see a whole chunk of thanks its usually worth having a look at, otherwise I can easily ignore any lame posts (which we are all entitled to make) but one post was really sad, once I was talking about a friend with an illness, and yes I did get a reply with a really lame "joke" about their aliment basically about them, if it was funny, related, or I said something silly that would be meh what it is, like If I was talking about my mothers illness and someone just replied yor ma it wouldn't phase me.

Ye all right man, chill out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

I would like to see this happen for a week just to see if it makes a difference. I would also like to see the thanks button disabled for a week to see what happens.
    Is the thank button that important?

Troll away Singri, but try make it funny for once :pac:

Okay. Lets be serious for a second. So what you're advocating is the many many posters posting subjectively should A) either stop or B) post for your amusement only. Or (and I'm coming from left field here, bare with me) C) you can either deal with it without being a little bitch or you can post somewhere else because either AHs will change or you will change or you'll have to put up with it which appears to be a task beyond you.

Feedback>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> FTW! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

But I don't think that would work. It would make things too cliquey, with people "no thanking" people they've got a grudge against.

I think it would also be intimidating for people who have an opinion that might be controversial, or something funny, which they worry could lead to them getting lots of "no thanks," so they don't bother posting it.

Personally I don't care about people trying to be funny and failing: I don't mind it in real life, so why should I care about it on the internet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

hondasam wrote: »

I would like to see this happen for a week just to see if it makes a difference. I would also like to see the thanks button disabled for a week to see what happens.

We had a rep system and caused issues. That's why we have a thanks system now

hondasam wrote: »

It keeps a load of pointless posts that do nothing but quote other posts and say "+1" off the board, so it's pretty handy in that respect.

• Advertisement

It really wouldn't. You'd just end up with people who dislike a poster "no thanking" every post they make and it would result in pointless spats breaking out in threads.

I mean, i reckon you'd feel pretty bad if you looked over this thread and noticed that i had effectively given the thumbs down to every post you made, which is pretty much what would have happened.

I understand that, but with all this "witty humour" flying about, people who get a lot of "no thanks" would soon give up spamming this place with nonsense

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement