Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City FC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

gimmick wrote: »
    While it would be nice if it were televised you have to weigh up who cares aside from CCFC fans and a small amount of LOI fans. Even at that not all LOI fans would be racing to watch it. I know if it were Dundalk/Bohs or whoever Vs Linfield and it was televised, Im not going out of my way to watch it.

People at the moment are also exposed to a serious amount of "top quality" football on TV with the Euros (awful tournament so far, but thats a chat for elsewhere) so Im not sure the appetite is there for watch a EL 1st qualifying round game.

Rte/Setanta were never going to show last night's game Fact! Viewing figures would not have justified it going up against Poland Vs Portugal. On the coefficient debate rovers loss does affect the league but not to the same extent it did previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭joeysoap

No they aren't. They are dragging their own one down. Not ours or anyone elses.

So fúck them.

http://kassiesa.home.xs4all.nl/bert/uefa/qual2016.html

Better if all 4 teams perform well, Cork will be up next year, Pats will hold their own, Dundalk unknown at this stage, and at this stage looks like Rovers will be down.

Will Nutsy still be there ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

joeysoap wrote: »
    http://kassiesa.home.xs4all.nl/bert/uefa/qual2016.html

Better if all 4 teams perform well, Cork will be up next year, Pats will hold their own, Dundalk unknown at this stage, and at this stage looks like Rovers will be down.

Will Nutsy still be there ?

The biggest factor in our low coefficient is the fact that we weren't in Europe for so long prior to last year. Hard to say how long more Fenlon will be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,072 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

No they aren't. They are dragging their own one down. Not ours or anyone elses.

So fúck them.

While each clubs performance mainly dictates their coefficient 20% of the overall league coefficient goes towards each club so it's still important each team does well. For instance CCFC current coefficient (before Linfield game) is 1.34 but only 0.250 of that is made up of our own contribution. 1.09 is from the League coefficient based on what the other clubs got.

I'm working away next week so can't get to the Cross :mad: so I am hoping against hope that the match will be on Setanta - but RTÉ should be showing the game in my opinion.

It's on at the same time as the Euro semifinal Germany/Italy vs France/Iceland. No way RTE will show both and can't see any other broadcaster going head to head with the Euros either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

namloc1980 wrote: »
    It's on at the same time as the Euro semifinal Germany/Italy vs France/Iceland. No way RTE will show both and can't see any other broadcaster going head to head with the Euros either.

I don't accept that more people would prefer to watch France v Germany. RTÉ have made a blunder there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭hman231

St Pats are through to the 2nd round by the skin of their teeth going through on away goal and Dundalk managed a last minute winner vs Longford, they just don't stop winning, Genie St Pats first ever win for a Luxembourg side over a Irish side, not a great record to have

• Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

How many points have Dundalk salvaged in the last minute or 2 of games this season, ffs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

How many points have Dundalk salvaged in the last minute or 2 of games this season, ffs

And last season, and the season before that.

I reckon they pick up at least 1/3rd of their total after 85 mins. So frustrating.

Their fitness seems to be at levels which the LOI has never seen before. Their training regime/strength & conditioning coach must be on another level.

Aside from the 2 losses to us, their record is 46 points from 48.

These late winners are becoming ridiculous apart from us they've won 15 drawn 1. Our points total is fantastic but this Dundalk side are relentless, we're 9 points off them with 2 games in hand and still have to play them so it's all to play for going to be a very tough week. With Linfield tomorrow and Wexford away Sunday. Its a joke too that the Linfield home game isn't being televised I'm sure many would tune in for sure

• Advertisement

hman231 wrote: »
    . Its a joke too that the Linfield home game isn't being televised I'm sure many would tune in for sure

In fairness it's up against Germany and France in the Euros. That's a tough sell for any TV company to go head to head with that game.

Dundalk also have +14 GD on City. That effectively puts them 10 points ahead. So frustrating the way they get all these last minute winners. Even more frustrating that in the season where we now have their number head to head, the rest of the league have basically waved the white flag when they play them.

These late winners are becoming ridiculous apart from us they've won 15 drawn 1. Our points total is fantastic but this Dundalk side are relentless, we're 9 points off them with 2 games in hand and still have to play them so it's all to play for going to be a very tough week. With Linfield tomorrow and Wexford away Sunday. Its a joke too that the Linfield home game isn't being televised I'm sure many would tune in for sure

Who should televise it and who would tune in?

Fact is no one aside from CCFC and Linfield fans give a crap.

In fairness it's up against Germany and France in the Euros. That's a tough sell for any TV company to go head to head with that game.

Dundalk also have +14 GD on City. That effectively puts them 10 points ahead. So frustrating the way they get all these last minute winners. Even more frustrating that in the season where we now have their number head to head, the rest of the league have basically waved the white flag when they play them.

Lot of late winners alright, Drogheda and Derry were two last year, and two this year Wexford and Longford (and whisper it, very nearly an equaliser at the Cross ). I don't agree about teams waving the white flag, Wexford and Longford certainly gave as good as they got. On another evening Longford might have been given an early penalty and when the score was 3 - 3 Rogers fly kicked the ball against Simon and the ricochet ran just wide from 20 yards. I'm around long enough now to know that's it's a thin line between success and failure and that in most years CC would have won one of the last two leagues.

Anyway good luck to City tonight, not that you'll need it, I hope you win easily and progress to the next round

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

To be honest, it's probably better for our attendance that it isn't televised. We'll already take a bit of a hit going up against Germany and France in the Euros. We'll probably have about 4,000 at it plus whatever Linfield bring down.

Gonna say 2-1 City. City to go 1-0 up, Linfield to equalise and us to hit them on the break late on when they're going for the winner. I'm certainly not expecting us to walk through them. Regardless of what people think of the qualify of the Irish League, we never do things the easy way when it comes to Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    To be honest, it's probably better for our attendance that it isn't televised. We'll already take a bit of a hit going up against Germany and France in the Euros. We'll probably have about 4,000 at it plus whatever Linfield bring down.

Gonna say 2-1 City. City to go 1-0 up, Linfield to equalise and us to hit them on the break late on when they're going for the winner. I'm certainly not expecting us to walk through them. Regardless of what people think of the qualify of the Irish League, we never do things the easy way when it comes to Europe.

Im struggling to understand the pessimism for this tie, and its not just you, few people I have spoke to are expecting extra time. Madness, we should have beaten them 3-0 last week, this times kt our patch, we are technically much better and we simply have the better players, im going for a 3-0 City win this time.

Well done City.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Should have won but through to the next round is the main thing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

That was a real struggle, a lot at stake, well done city.

Smyth looked a decent player for Linfield

Made hard work of that, but job done.

TBF if it wasn't for the keeper we would have thumped them.

Concerns arising from last night being our entire midfield was shíte. Bolger is so key to us its actually quite worrying. Should he get sidelined for any length of time we are in trouble. McSweeney is also not up to snuff. Every time he received the ball last night he lost it.

The other way of looking at it is the LOI is extremely poor this season, so the above may not cause too many issues in general. Bit still, these are not issues Dundalk face. We shouldn't either.

Biggest plus from the performance last night was McGuire. Was immense. He is so strong, it seems like it is almost impossible to knock him off the ball. If his finishing could be upped a few notches now it would be great.

Anyway, job done, money in the bank. Hopefully this Swedish crowd are not up to much and we can get a good crowd in 2 weeks for the return leg. And get through obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,967 ✭✭✭lukin

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Should have won but through to the next round is the main thing!!

Roy Carroll was outstanding for Linfeld though. He made four or five superb saves. The chance Linfield scored from was probably the only they created in the whole game.

• Advertisement

I'm very worried for the LOI. Pats only going through vs a Luxembourg side on away goals is a disgrace not where this league should be, Rovers just giving up vs a average Finnish league side and us narrowly scraping through against Linfield. But having all said and done Cork,Pats and Dundalk all still in competition is good. I feel that vs Linfield is was our rock solid defense which has helped big time and Maguire too. I would be surprised if we get any sort of result vs Hacken they'll be very strong and will be well able to play. I think that LOI european hope are not looking good this year, and I hope to be proved wrong but the top clubs Cork,Pats,Rovers and Dundalk need to keep getting top 4 to get them 4 clubs up to the level. But as for Cork really disheartened by the attendance 3500 for a huge europa home game vs LINFIELD should be a sell out, but from Cork;s point of view big improvements from last year well done johnny c

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭ROY RACE

CHealy wrote: »
    Im struggling to understand the pessimism for this tie, and its not just you, few people I have spoke to are expecting extra time. Madness, we should have beaten them 3-0 last week, this times kt our patch, we are technically much better and we simply have the better players, im going for a 3-0 City win this time.

lol

I'm very worried for the LOI. Pats only going through vs a Luxembourg side on away goals is a disgrace not where this league should be, Rovers just giving up vs a average Finnish league side and us narrowly scraping through against Linfield. But having all said and done Cork,Pats and Dundalk all still in competition is good.

Pat's not disgrace but not great either. Rovers big disappointment. Great that City are through, a win would have been nice. Up until last night I thought Dundalk had a good chance but not so sure now. The team they drew are leading the Icelandic league and the team that are 9th beat Glanavon 6 - 0 last night in Belfast. Not as easy as it first appeared.
    Edit; I just discovered that it was KR that defeated Glenavon 8 -1 overall. They are 2 points above relegation in Iceland. I have read JC's statement and I think he is bang on the money.
    the top clubs Cork,Pats,Rovers and Dundalk need to keep getting top 4 to get them 4 clubs up to the level.

Now that would be nice ��

• Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

I'm very worried for the LOI. Pats only going through vs a Luxembourg side on away goals is a disgrace not where this league should be, Rovers just giving up vs a average Finnish league side and us narrowly scraping through against Linfield. But having all said and done Cork,Pats and Dundalk all still in competition is good. I feel that vs Linfield is was our rock solid defense which has helped big time and Maguire too. I would be surprised if we get any sort of result vs Hacken they'll be very strong and will be well able to play. I think that LOI european hope are not looking good this year, and I hope to be proved wrong but the top clubs Cork,Pats,Rovers and Dundalk need to keep getting top 4 to get them 4 clubs up to the level. But as for Cork really disheartened by the attendance 3500 for a huge europa home game vs LINFIELD should be a sell out, but from Cork;s point of view big improvements from last year well done johnny c
    I felt the same way after seeing the Pats result.
    But Aberdeen lost to a Luxemborg side last night. It makes me feel a bit better.
    Now of course Aberdeen were 3-1 up from the first league and are out of season.

Still the league is in a poor place and I think we can all see that but our place in the coefficients just hammers it home.

The league has never had strong consistent results in Europe ever. Not sure this year is sudden cause for crisis or panic. Over the last 5 seasons the league has earned the following coefficient points from European competition and this is the basis of the UEFA coefficient rankings:

2012/13 - 1.000
    2013/14 - 0.250
    2014/15 - 2.000
    2015/16 - 0.700
    2016/17 - 0.750 (with at least 6 more games to be played by LoI teams in Europe this season)

So this year is the 3rd most in the last 5 years with 3 teams still going strong. And there's every chance it'll end up being the second best out of the last 5 years after 2014/15.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Matthew Conor joins from Wexford today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Also is Antony Mcalavey back at city again ? Thought he was at Waterford now?

Wexford 0-1 CCFC. Buckley with the goal. What a result ! keeps the league points tally going and pressure on Dundalk if we keep winning they will drop points eventually and if they don't we will have a chance to beat them when we play them, very important win

• Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

The league has never had strong consistent results in Europe ever. Not sure this year is sudden cause for crisis or panic. Over the last 5 seasons the league has earned the following coefficient points from European competition and this is the basis of the UEFA coefficient rankings:

2012/13 - 1.000
    2013/14 - 0.250
    2014/15 - 2.000
    2015/16 - 0.700
    2016/17 - 0.750 (with at least 6 more games to be played by LoI teams in Europe this season)

So this year is the 3rd most in the last 5 years with 3 teams still going strong. And there's every chance it'll end up being the second best out of the last 5 years after 2014/15.

Pats & Cork have slim to no chance of progression and Dundalk have a 50/50 tie.
    Gibraltar are set to out score us this year.
    European results really aren't telling us anything we don't know already.
    The league is in poor order and needs some serious help.

Gibraltar coefficients:
    14/15 - 0.250
    15/16 - 0.750

A little too similar!

• Advertisement

Really hope dundalk can win their tie. If we defend well we have every chance of winning

Advertisement