Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City FC

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,686 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Healy, then Dennehy then Buckley, - they were missed and we seemed a bit disjointed - especially in the first half. we certainly had a few chances to score though and on another night we would have. That said Mcnulty was busy enough himself.

Happy enough with the point. What did ye think of the challenge on Buckley? Looked to me that the keeper punched the ball and then close-lined him with his other arm and a very bad fall caused him a lot of pain I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,070 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I thought it was a peno myself. Goalie missed ball and got player.

I dont think he meant do harm or anything though.

Good crowd say tonight around 4,000 should be there.

Another great atmosphere in store.

4,035 to be precise.

Good to see.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

I think what this game showed more than anything else is our lack of squad depth. Once we get injuries at all we're in trouble because the young lads coming in to replace the more experienced heads are almost too inexperienced. Without Healy, and then Buckley, we ended up just getting overrun in midfield.

That said though, there were good performances from certain players, most notably Brian Lenihan. Mark O'Sullivan played well too, and of course Dan and Nults but you really wouldn't expect anything less from those two!

Still though, it was a very good point against a strong Sligo team that, albeit after a poor start to their league campaign, could, and probably will, still be up there at the end.

On a final note, it's always a good day when you get to watch Joseph Ndo play! He really is just sheer quality.......still!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

Been very impressed with Lenihan in the few games I've seen. Looks good at both ends of the pitch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Been very impressed with Lenihan in the few games I've seen. Looks good at both ends of the pitch.

He's been phenomenal. Don't know the last young player to step up and play to a high standard as he has been already. Probably our best right AND left back, as shown by tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Draw was a fair result, but great to get the point from such a position. Shows the attitude of the lads, to keep going 'til the end. This kind of attitude alone, never mind the higher quality of the team this season, is worth a lot of points. A couple of would-be losses converted into draws, would-be draws converted into wins. Those kind of things add up over a season.
    Wilberto wrote: »
    I think what this game showed more than anything else is our lack of squad depth. Once we get injuries at all we're in trouble because the young lads coming in to replace the more experienced heads are almost too inexperienced. Without Healy, and then Buckley, we ended up just getting overrun in midfield.

To be fair, we do have some depth. We're just getting hammered with so many injuries at the moment. We have three strikers out, who'd make the starting lineup of pretty much any other team in the division. And we suddenly got two injuries to our two best centre mids, meaning we had to change two thirds of the centre mid. Then there was Darren Dennehy, who had to go off just before the match, meaning a reshuffle at the back. Even a very strong squad will find it hard to cope with that number of injuries and amount of reshuffling.

It seems Buckley might be okay, anyway. He went to hospital straight away for an x-ray and the early signs are no real damage. When it comes to things like head injuries/concussions, you have to be very careful. They're so hard to judge, not least when you're in a fast paced match of the highest quality in the country. Elding is apparently more or less okay, now, so he'd be a good option to be on the bench next week.
    On a final note, it's always a good day when you get to watch Joseph Ndo play! He really is just sheer quality.......still!
    He's a fantastic player. Every year goes by, I think that surely now, he'll be off the pace, but no, he just keeps on going. He'll be 38 at the end of this month and you wouldn't think it. He dominated the midfield. It would have been a different story if we had Healy in there, though.

I dont agree draw was fair result. Sligo were far better.

I will admit the attitude is much better and more fight and agree also that for that alone points and maybe positionswill be gained.

On another note

We are going in right direction, no question about it. But League contenders is little premature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

If Elding plays more than 270 minutes for us I'll be shocked. This "injury" seems to be never going away. He is a bad signing and we are best off getting rid ASAP.

I dont agree draw was fair result. Sligo were far better.

I will admit the attitude is much better and more fight and agree also that for that alone points and maybe positionswill be gained.

On another note

We are going in right direction, no question about it. But League contenders is little premature.

Maybe they shaded it, but I don't think that they were far better. O'Sullivan blasted over from a few yards, there was the one that rolled across the face of goal begging to be tapped in, Dan Murray's header cleared off the line, the good save from Kearney's shot, among others. Both teams created a bucket load of chances. It could have finished 3-3 or 4-4.

We're not necessarily not league contenders. There are usually 3 or 4 teams in it. I wouldn't be surprised if we were still in and around there come Autumn. But yeah, I don't think we'll win it. I'd be absolutely delighted with third place and a Europa League spot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭applehunter

gimmick wrote: »
    If Elding plays more than 270 minutes for us I'll be shocked. This "injury" seems to be never going away. He is a bad signing and we are best off getting rid ASAP.

Everything is on the QT with you.

Are you suggesting he's not injured or what?

Out with it!

Nothing QT, I am reading between the lines. Since he has signed, he has played very few competitive minutes (I am deliberately ignoring the MSC). He was not even on the bench the other night despite being supposedly fit beforehand. Caulfield said after the game "others would just get on with it" suggesting he is not pleased with him. Add this all to the rumours not long after he signed that he was on his way suggests to me he will be moved on come July.

Its not like he is a one club man afterall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

gimmick wrote: »
    Nothing QT, I am reading between the lines. Since he has signed, he has played very few competitive minutes (I am deliberately ignoring the MSC). He was not even on the bench the other night despite being supposedly fit beforehand. Caulfield said after the game "others would just get on with it" suggesting he is not pleased with him. Add this all to the rumours not long after he signed that he was on his way suggests to me he will be moved on come July.

Its not like he is a one club man afterall.

This has been debunked as absolute bollox, rumour started by a well know messer on the City forum. There was one stage where people taught Elding had a job in the Sligo Fire Brigade :)

Will be missing my first City game of season on Friday as heading home to Folks for Easter.

Could be a tricky one Friday.

I would be hoping we can get a comfortable win on Friday. Drogheda made a great start but losing to Bray at home last week hopefully has knocked them a bit. But as with every game at the Cross, we shouldnt fear anyone.

Elding will be on the bench, D.Morressey is back running on grass today so he's only another 3/4 weeks away, same with Rafter. Hopefully Healy can get a run out as with Buckley and Dennehy.

Caulfield has just announced in his press conference that Rafter will be out for at least 2 more months. I'm not sure how the lad can go from 'running on grass tomorrow' a few days ago to being out for another 8 weeks at least.

I heard last week and said it here that he may be out for season.

2 months is better then some expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭Cork Skate

Bk-G2q1IAAAibWY.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭Cork Skate

qy7etamu.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,265 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Healy back tonight?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Healy back tonight?

With a bit of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭applehunter

Happy Days.

The 4-4-2 with Elding & O'Sullivan didn't work but O'Leary's introduction did give us more of a foothold in there. Healy was a big loss though.

Good craic where I was standing.

Enjoyable night I must say.

Poor first half from City. Deserved too go in behind. That peno looked shockingly bad from where I was. Elding and Marky didn't work uptop together. Thought Kearney was very poor all night even tho he scored. Second half was better all around. Billy's free kick was class! 4280 people there is great aswell!

Poor first half, but a good sub by Johnny C at half time. 4-4-2 doesn't suit us with Elding and O'Sullivan up front - you'd need a pacey forward like Rob Lehane or Danny Morrissey when he's fit. We really changed in the second half when we went back to 4-3-3/4-5-1 and made the sub. O'Leary was much better than he was last week. If he can build on that and do better, he'll push for his place - though, Morrissey played well last night, as did Buckley in the second half. Kearney was disappointing, but took his goal well. Dennehy was much improved in the second half - more threatening down the wings and fantastic free kick (although, the keeper should have done better). It wasn't the best of performances, but still good to get a 3-1 win. We have to push on on Monday, now, and make sure we stay top.

to have 4,000 plus at that game is great.

Could not go as was at home, but will be back for Bohs on Friday. Cant wait.

Another handy 3 points in the bag despite playing an hour with 10 men. A quite amazing start to the season.

What did Darren do too get sent off? Billy too score first in every game would have ya up a nice few bob

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,686 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Stupid tackle apparently, totally deserving of a red. Still top!

Bohs tomorrow night. They don't seem to be getting on very well at the moment - three losses on the trot. We should be looking for a win here, but obviously, we can't be taking anything for granted. Look at how Athlone nearly took a point off Dundalk (and should've, bar a terrible refereeing decision late on) and you see how stupid points can be dropped. If we play like we've been playing for most of the season so far - and hopefully with 11 men for 90 minutes - we should get a good result.

What kind of crowd do people think we'll get? It seems like rain is due all day tomorrow, so I'd be thinking 4,000 would be very good. If it were a nice day, there'd be no reason why we couldn't push 5,000.

• Advertisement

Able to get to the bohs game. Between injuries and suspensions it will be interesting to see the starting 11. I reckon we will get in or around 4000. It's only bohs.....:pac:

Advertisement