Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York Giants Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭ssshhh123

Lads still trying to get to grips with this new interest of mine. Two questions.
    1. Why did giants go for a fg at the end there and not keep pushing forward try get td.

2. Giants are 5-7! I think. So 5 wins 7 looses what way does the league or setup work like standings etc play off places.

I'm a complete newbie so sorry if my wording or questions are off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

You kick the FG at the end to try to keep the game going

Our kicker hadn't missed all year up to that point which is a higer % than keeping pushing for the TD

The only way the Giants make the playoffs is by winning the NFC East

Currently it's

Washington 5-6 (Play Dallas Monday)
    Giants 5-7
    Philadelphia 4-7 (playing New England Now)
    Dallas 3-8 (Play Washington Monday)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭wawaman

ssshhh123 wrote: »
    Lads still trying to get to grips with this new interest of mine. Two questions.
    1. Why did giants go for a fg at the end there and not keep pushing forward try get td.

2. Giants are 5-7! I think. So 5 wins 7 looses what way does the league or setup work like standings etc play off places.

I'm a complete newbie so sorry if my wording or questions are off.

1st things first, don't follow the Giants unless you are a sucker for punishment!! The game was in OT, the jets had scored a fg so the Giants had to score to keep the game alive but the Giants been what they are they miss their first fg of the year!
    The nfl is based on your w/l record, not points like soccer. The only reason a team with 5-7 is in contention is because the nfl East is worse than poor

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    You kick the FG at the end to try to keep the game going

Our kicker hadn't missed all year up to that point which is a higer % than keeping pushing for the TD

The only way the Giants make the playoffs is by winning the NFC East

Currently it's

Washington 5-6 (Play Dallas Monday)
    Giants 5-7
    Philadelphia 4-7 (playing New England Now)
    Dallas 3-8 (Play Washington Monday)

Thanks. But if giants scored fg would it mean jets gave the ball again to attack. Also so once we are top from the above 4 we go play off then. How many games they play 16?
    Where they pull them from. NFC East then where else. Is there any website explaining all this instead of me asking here.

wawaman wrote: »
    1st things first, don't follow the Giants unless you are a sucker for punishment!! The game was in OT, the jets had scored a fg so the Giants had to score to keep the game alive but the Giants been what they are they miss their first fg of the year!
    The nfl is based on your w/l record, not points like soccer. The only reason a team with 5-7 is in contention is because the nfl East is worse than poor

Cheers. No I'll stick with the giants.
    Doing a bit of Google to try get my head around all this millark

• Advertisement

ssshhh123 wrote: »
    Thanks. But if giants scored fg would it mean jets gave the ball again to attack. Also so once we are top from the above 4 we go play off then. How many games they play 16?
    Where they pull them from. NFC East then where else. Is there any website explaining all this instead of me asking here.

Yes the Jets get the ball again but after that it's next score wins

16 games in a season

We play Dallas, Philadelphia, Washington twice = 6 games

We play another NFc division in a rotating manner. This year its the NFC South = 4 games

We play an AFC Eastc division in a rotating manner. This year its the AFC East = 4 games

You play the NFC teams in the division that finish in the same position as you last year. We finished 3rd last year so that's why we have the Viking and 49ers on our schedule

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

McAdoo and Coughlin to blame for tonight.

Defense was quite good, actually. If the offense could contribute more than 13 points, we'd be fine. We have one of the best receivers in the game, and a top QB, yet we can't win.

Playing Williams is driving me insane. This four RB notion is ****ing mental. Next year I want to see Vereen, Darkwa, and either a FA or a draft pick.

Not kicking the FG on the 4th down was infuriating, especially after the 4th down play in the first half where we were literal inches from the GL and we passed the opportunity.

The talent is actually there, but this team is a mess. No excuse for not winning the NFC East this year.

Knex. wrote: »
    McAdoo and Coughlin to blame for tonight.

The talent is actually there, but this team is a mess. No excuse for not winning the NFC East this year.

I keep flipping between answers but is it the coaches making terrible calls or just that the team is crap that is the answer? Or in reality is it right smack bang in the middle of the two? How have we come to a point where i want a team containing Dez Byrant to win tonight?

Probably is both, alright. Injuries certainly don't help.

You know, Jurgen Klopp, the Liverpool manager, said after defeat and poor performance yesterday. "Its easier to fix defeats from bad performances, than it is with good", and largely, I think that applies to the Giants.

Now, while obviously getting blown out every game is just hopeless, although you'll get a good draft pick. But we lost a lot of close games that we played well in, and it seems that we don't have much of a margin for error. Eli needs to be perfect, Odell needs to be Odell, perfect clock management, defence better than expected, etc.

Last night has made my enthusiasm and expectations for this year slide a lot, really. I'll still watch as I want to see OBJ every week, and see how we develop, but I don't for a minute think we're going on a four game win streak.

I think we will continue to see close losses. We'll raise our game to a level similar to the opposition, and just fall short -> i.e, The Pats game. I fully expect that to be the same for the Panthers.

That said, we better beat the Dolphins. They're crap.

A reddit thread highlighting our losses.

The New York Giants (5-7) have held a lead with less than 2 minutes remaining in 10 of their 12 games.

Infuriating when you see it written out like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I agree with Eli that the mistakes have been errors of execution as much as they have been errors of judgement. No one complains about the decision to go for it last night if it comes off. Trouble is this year it is never coming of. I was stunned when Beckham completed that pass on 4th and 7 in OT because it is so unlike this team.

Throughout the season we keep making what look like boneheaded decisions because the individual plays afterwards have been abject failures. I'd have kicked the field goal last night so I'm definitely not defending the decision but if we score then, if we stop the Jets converting on 4th down or if we could run the ball at all on that drive between the two Jets scores then we win.

Frankly the fact that we've been so close in so many games flatters this team. We have no pass rush (aside from last night so hopefully we've turned that corner), we have no receiving options other than Beckham, we can't run the ball at all and we constantly fail to deliver on the big plays. We have no business being mentioned as being in the hunt for a Play-Off spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

The more I rewatch the tape this season the more evidence I drum up to get rid of Coughlin and McAdoo. TC has no argument to stay on as HC, absolutely none. McAdoo is just an inept OC. Vereen is clearly our second best weapon on offense and he barely sees any game time.

Reese should go too but that's not going to happen. I don't know how anyone could stand up for the coaches and GM when we just look so inept week after week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Donnell and DeOssie both to season ending IR

DeOssie? The ****?

That's a blow to Special Teams

Donnell doesn't get in ahead of Will Tye now anyway. Tye has been a rare bright-spot in recent weeks.

Poor reading but the lack of leadership plays out on the field

When your rookie LT is the one trying to gee up the team when getting our butts kicked in Philly it's a bad sign

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Damontre Moore has been cut for breaking team rules apparently, lots of potential but delivered very little to date. Still only 23 though so will be quickly picked but I reckon, doubt he clears waivers.

Another wasted draft pick

No wonder we have 0 depth

You look at our last 4 drafts

We have got hardly anything out of Odighizuwa (IR first year), Bromley (can't beat out Kuhn), Moore (Cut), Hosley (Poor)

They were all 3rd rounds picks that we need to be hitting

Last two drafts, fairly good. Three drafts prior, poor. 2012 was a disaster.

Apparently OBJ was giving out Beats Headphones, and Moore starting a fight with Jenkins as he never got a pair, and Jenkins had taken a couple.

• Advertisement

Apparently he had multiple violations

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14344975
    Multiple sources said Moore was released because he repeatedly violated team rules and had behavior and maturity issues that have not improved during his three years in the NFL. Sources say the final straw was a recent fight in practice between Moore at his defensive line teammates. But sources said Moore had also been fined several times by the team this year for rules violations and behavior problems and that the decision to waive him was based on the accumulation of issues, not just one fight

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Damontre Moore has been cut for breaking team rules apparently, lots of potential but delivered very little to date. Still only 23 though so will be quickly picked but I reckon, doubt he clears waivers.

Lowest football IQ in the league by a country mile IMO..

Gonna enjoy red zone today, safe in the knowledge we won't blow a lead in the last 2 minutes of the 4th quarter ��

That was a good result, saw bits of the game as my son had a restless night. OBJ is just ridicously good, with him fit we can hang around in any game. Think if we can go 2-1 to finish the season (let's not kid ourselves, we ain't beating Cam & Co.) then we should sneak the playoffs.

Just finished watching it. Really enjoyable game. Thought the better team won and it was so good to see the team run out the clock well. Eli is a much better QB when he has got a running game to help him and sell the play action.

I posted this over on Reddit last week. We're on track!
    They'll probably beat the Dolphins to raise our hopes again, then play valiantly against the Panthers, in a similar fashion to the Pats game.

Then when we are all clinging to that slim hope of finishing 8-8 and winning this god damn awful division, they'll lose on some crap clock management against the Vikes, and be blown out by the Eagles, who end up taking the division, 8-8.

****ing bookmark it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

No matter how bad things get for the Giants you guys have the guy who's going to be the best player in the nfl for the next few years. As a Philly fan that sucks balls.

My highlight of the season was him doing the hurdles after his TD against the Jets. Even if we were 0-13, you'd still have to tune in just to watch him, really.

I hope we don't waste his rookie contract years/Eli's prime.

Knex. wrote: »
    My highlight of the season was him doing the hurdles after his TD against the Jets. Even if we were 0-13, you'd still have to tune in just to watch him, really.

I hope we don't waste his rookie contract years/Eli's prime.

Think if we invest heavily in the D in Ðraft and free agency we should contend next year with a fit o-line

• Advertisement

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Think if we invest heavily in the D in Ðraft and free agency we should contend next year with a fit o-line

Yeah, I'd agree.

Wonder what we do in FA with the cap space, too.

Really want a FS, as I think Collins can excel if he gets to play SS, and not have to worry so much about coverage. His last few games have been quite good, actually.

MLB is a must. Beason is gone. I like Kennard a lot, and JT Thomas started the season very well before his injury.

D-line obviously needs help, even with Owa to come back, having barely played his rookie year.

Probably need another corner, too. Even with giving Prince a new contract.

If Randle goes, we could well need a WR, too. Would not surprise me to see him leave, alongside JPP.

I think we spend big in FA to help on defence, though. Must go take a look at some stage and see who's in a contract year.

Advertisement