Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York Giants Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Unless Getty can get him signed long term we got fleeced

High 3rd rounder plus a possible 4th

As a Jets fan I'm delighted with that, he's been a massive disappointment imo. There was no way the Jets FO were going to resign him and I think they would have got 4th round comp for him, possibly a 3rd if they were lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I'm a fan of getting the depth on that line, though. He's at least an average player and he's constantly double teamed on that Jets side. Will hold judgement until we see how things pan out between now and next offseason.

We'll get a comp 3rd for Collins I think, so we'll still have a 3rd round pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭boccy23

Knex. wrote: »
    I'm a fan of getting the depth on that line, though. He's at least an average player and he's constantly double teamed on that Jets side. Will hold judgement until we see how things pan out between now and next offseason.

All true. Only thing is our 3rd round pick for the Jets will be around late 60s whereas the comp pick will be around pick 100.

The trade itself is strange without a deal. With a mid tier deal, I think it’s worth the gamble. He was a no-miss player coming out of college. So a change of scenery could work. If BB did this deal for the Pats, we’d all say oh “typical Patriots way”.

This a massive misconception, when you look at the rate at which interior d lineman are double teamed he's way down the list. I think motivation was definitely an issue for him so maybe a change up might do him good

• Registered Users Posts: 11,010 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

boccy23 wrote: »
    All true. Only thing is our 3rd round pick for the Jets will be around late 60s whereas the comp pick will be around pick 100.

The trade itself is strange without a deal. With a mid tier deal, I think it’s worth the gamble. He was a no-miss player coming out of college. So a change of scenery could work. If BB did this deal for the Pats, we’d all say oh “typical Patriots way”.

But the Patriots work the comp picks based on mostly being a 'selling' team in FA, whereas the Giants will likely be 'buying' for the next few years.

I feel some team will offer decent money for him so the Giants will be left to potentially overpay him or else lose him and not get a comp pick back.

• Advertisement

phatkev wrote: »
    This a massive misconception, when you look at the rate at which interior d lineman are double teamed he's way down the list. I think motivation was definitely an issue for him so maybe a change up might do him good

I thought I read that he was 7th? Either since he joined the league, or this year.

Spose for where he was taken you would still expect more, so definitely agree that he's been a relative disappointment. Interesting that you say it may be a motivation thing too. Not a great thing to hear, but from a Giants perspective it could mean that there's more of a chance that the talent is there to actually unlock.

We'll see anyway!

I thought I read that he was 7th? Either since he joined the league, or this year.

Spose for where he was taken you would still expect more, so definitely agree that he's been a relative disappointment. Interesting that you say it may be a motivation thing too. Not a great thing to hear, but from a Giants perspective it could mean that there's more of a chance that the talent is there to actually unlock.

We'll see anyway!

If its not a motivation issue then it just means he really is sh1te!!

Having said that, watch him destroy the Jets oline in a few weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Well that was another crap performance

So many mistakes and mess ups

Jones turnovers def becoming a worry at this stage

Baker looks lost. He even admitted after the game he doesn't know the play book well enough

Rest of season all about getting as high a draft pick as possible

Even though we will prob get some meaningless wins to mess that up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭wawaman

Well that was another crap performance

So many mistakes and mess ups

Jones turnovers def becoming a worry at this stage

Baker looks lost. He even admitted after the game he doesn't know the play book well enough

Rest of season all about getting as high a draft pick as possible

Even though we will prob get some meaningless wins to mess that up

I have no confidence in Gettleman, so does draft position make that much of a difference?

Bettcher and Shurmur should be on the hot seat regardless of what happens between now and the end of the season. The play calling on both sides of the ball is terrible. As is Shurmurs constant throwing the red flag for calls that never get overturned

True

Still the higher we pick the harder it should be for Gettleman to mess up

Only issue there is its also higher pick to the jets fir our third

Shurmur shouldn't survive. This team has made no progress this year and if anything we have gone backwards

• Advertisement

Surely there is no way Shurmur survives this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

KrustyUCC wrote:
    Surely there is no way Shurmur survives this year?

For me this depends on what's available to come in?? But he's made so many bad calls this season that it's gonna be hard to retain him

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Schurmur is 17-40 in the league.

Giants are 10-32 the last 42 games.

In order to think that things can be reversed, you'd need belief that rivals that of a child to santa.

And then we lost to the bloody Jets.

Close the curtains. Shows over.

Shurmur will never be a successful head coach in the league, of that I have little doubt.

very hard to find many positives after that result yesterday

In fairness Jones did some good things but that fumble 6 was a killer

Slayton is developing nicely esp for a 5th round pick

Suppose we did improve our draft position at least lol

We really need to shut Barkley down. He's not himself after the ankle injury. Get him right for next year

Our defence is just terrible and we make all opposing QBS look like a Hall of Famer. Hard to see that improving for the rest of the year

Another frustrating game that we def could have won

Poor teams find ways to lose and we are good at it

2 missed FG for us and a FG for them just before HT sapped our confidence

That punt situation at the end was horrific and doesn't show Shurmur in a good light

Only plus is that we are now into the second pick at the moment

Another frustrating game that we def could have won

Poor teams find ways to lose and we are good at it

2 missed FG for us and a FG for them just before HT sapped our confidence

That punt situation at the end was horrific and doesn't show Shurmur in a good light

Only plus is that we are now into the second pick at the moment

Im heading over this weekend for the Packers game. I hope they will let my "Shurmur Out" banner thru customs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭boccy23

I wonder could we get Chase Young?

Could be the Defensive game changer with a new HC that we need.

We are still deficient in talent, but we're not at the bottom of the rebuild curve either. The D needs work and the O-line is still below average.

I know in the past Mara and co have been patient but it's hard to make any argument for keeping Shurmur on

I fear you will need plenty of beer to get through that game esp as the Packers need the win and are just better than us

Rodgers will have a field day

boccy23 wrote: »
    I wonder could we get Chase Young?

Could be the Defensive game changer with a new HC that we need.

We are still deficient in talent, but we're not at the bottom of the rebuild curve either. The D needs work and the O-line is still below average.

Very good chance Young is available if we pick at 2

You would think the Bengals need a QB

• Advertisement

I know in the past Mara and co have been patient but it's hard to make any argument for keeping Shurmur on

I fear you will need plenty of beer to get through that game esp as the Packers need the win and are just better than us

Rodgers will have a field day

its a win win. First time in Metlife seeing the giants and beer !!!!

Enjoy :)

wawaman wrote: »
    Im heading over this weekend for the Packers game. I hope they will let my "Shurmur Out" banner thru customs

Class. Enjoy!

Heading over for the Dolphins game next Month myself. Will try and take up your mantle with the Shurmur out banner if I can :pac:

You def got an interesting game weather wise wawaman

Pity about the product on the pitch

About the only plus side is that other teams like the Bengals, Redskins and Dolphins won

We might have a shot at the #1 pick yet

Surely Shurmur can't survive this year even with a few wins over the next few weeks?

Shurmur and Bettcher have to go, really.

New head coach with his own coaching staff is all I want for Christmas from the Giants, please.

I actually wouldn't mind Shurmur staying as offensive coordinator, just that is never gonna happen really. I do think he's a good coach and would actually help Jones a lot in that capacity, but he's simply not a head coach. The roles are very, very different, and I don't see Shurmur as being capable of leading an entire franchise.

I'm beginning to wonder bout Gettleman as well

That Leonard Williams trade is horrific to this point

Giving up a high 3rd round pick for him and a 4th or 5th next year

He's going to have to sign him long term but the production is just not there to justify it

Funny enough I def think we're in the mix for the #1 pick

I don't follow college football that closely but had DJ done enough for us not to be thinking QB at #1?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,010 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

I'm beginning to wonder bout Gettleman as well

That Leonard Williams trade is horrific to this point

Giving up a high 3rd round pick for him and a 4th or 5th next year

He's going to have to sign him long term but the production is just not there to justify it

Funny enough I def think we're in the mix for the #1 pick

I don't follow college football that closely but had DJ done enough for us not to be thinking QB at #1?

If you get rid of Shurmur I don't know how you wouldn't clear out Gettleman as well. Nearly every move Gettleman has made has been head scratching at best so it would be stupid to trust him again with such a good pick. Clear house and bring in a new GM and HC together.

You def got an interesting game weather wise wawaman

Pity about the product on the pitch

About the only plus side is that other teams like the Bengals, Redskins and Dolphins won

We might have a shot at the #1 pick yet

Surely Shurmur can't survive this year even with a few wins over the next few weeks?

Oh boy was it cold!

Being there in person makes you realise how easy players can get free against this defence.

No way would I move on from Jones. He's doing pretty well for a rookie, in my mind.

I am absolutely convinced our coaching staff are inept for the most part, however.

• Advertisement

Looking likely we will be starting Eli on Monday due to DJ ankle injury

Pity as I would have like Eli to stay above .500 for his career

Advertisement