Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone Dublin City Triathlon 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,778 ✭✭✭griffin100

You can't test for weil's, you test for leptospirosis :P

I would bet my house that no tests were done for leptospira bacterium. It takes weeks to cultivate these bacteria in the lab for testing and is mega expensive to do.

As I mentioned very early in this thread and as pointed out by Kurt above water testing like this is only a single point in time and in a fast flowing river is almost pointless. You can't predict what's going to be coming down stream on race day. The good news is that this limits the risk of leptospira infection from the river itself but there is still always a risk from the areas around the river. It is very likely that any illnesses after a race like this are due to the ingestion of coliforms, crypto or similar.

The lab results posted aren't that bad, I wouldn't drink the water but I'd swim in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Agreed. I do think/hope/(possibly read here somewhere) that they test the water a few times including the weekend of the race. The analysis does take some time so those reports won't be available until after the race.

I saw on their website, they'll be testing in the lead-up to, and on, race day. Fair play to them for taking any issues seriously, not a lot more they can do than that.

It only takes about 2 days to get coliform results back so there should be little delay with any updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Dowee

How do the results compare in terms of Blue Flag requirements and compared to last year?

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I think if you worry, then don't enter river races. Its a risk. You minimise it as best you can, but if we worried about everything that can go wrong in tri we would never race at all. If I get sick I will certainly be mad as hell but it will have been my decision to get in the water. All the organisers can do is keep us informed as best they can. Rivers are dirty, end of.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Oryx wrote: »
    I think if you worry, then don't enter river races. Its a risk. You minimise it as best you can, but if we worried about everything that can go wrong in tri we would never race at all. If I get sick I will certainly be mad as hell but it will have been my decision to get in the water. All the organisers can do is keep us informed as best they can. Rivers are dirty, end of.

Fair enough Oryx, you've entered, at your risk. (Totally applaud that, and the following is no slight on your post or opinion). But downsides to river swim risks (or just swim risks) seem to be magnified and carry over to other Tri swim assessments, and their risk. The fallout from a river swim that makes people sick seems pretty large, within the Tri bubble (I met a guy in France who convinced me not to swim the Loire, based on his sickness after a Liffey Tri swim).

I prefer your model of personal risk, but given the sh!t that went down last year (pardon the pun), its good to see the organizers taking the issue seriously. Too many Tri's have their swim element compromised on the day, by lack of due care from the organizers. It's good to see swim safety being taken seriously, with a view to the bigger picture of letting everyone swim the full distance, rather than leaving chance dictate a last-minute deficiency. The risks of the swim being cancelled in a Tri, will be lessened by quality testing such as this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

I'm pretty sure I got Weils disease last year. All the literature I read since (on the TI site) points to that. I was sick for a few days (Flu like symptoms and headache) but put it down to dehydration and after that subsided thought that was it. A week or so later after the bacteria had incubated I was knocked for 6 whilst on holiday in Italy. Fever, sever muscle aches in my calves, hamstrings and lower back, lack of appetite and vomitting. 7 days spent in bed with 2 doctors visits, culminating in an emergency doctors visit after I ended up hallucinating and my blood pressure dropped through the floor.
    No one spoke English and I was off my head and had to use pigeon Italian to get me through. My wife has said if we were in ireland she would have insisted on hospital for me.

That being said, I had heard about Weils disease last year but didn't read up on it so I think it is great that they have put out more info this year other than that and testing water quality there isn't much more they can do. I'm still swimming open water and I'm doing the DCT again this year. Sure, I've built up some immunity now! But if I do feel the same symtoms in the aftermath I'll be straight to the doctor. I don't ever want to get that ill again. (could do with losing the 7lbs again though:) )

Dowee wrote: »
    How do the results compare in terms of Blue Flag requirements and compared to last year?

They didn't measure one of the Blue Flag parameters but for fecal coliforms the levels recorded are 20% of the maximum permissible levels required for an inland waterway to reach blue flag status.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭paddlepop

Does anyobe know why they ask you to get the one day licence before thurs midnight? I only bought mine now. Now i am worried they wont let me compete.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

paddlepop wrote: »
    Does anyobe know why they ask you to get the one day licence before thurs midnight? I only bought mine now. Now i am worried they wont let me compete.....

For admin reasons so all can be put together to bring down the race for registration.

• Advertisement

do you think i will able able to race?

phew! they left it open for last minute competitors so yay i will be able to race.:D:D:D

Does anyone have any last minute advice for a newbie? I am just going to finish rather than "compete" as its my first one (sprint) and i am not 100% race fit.

Any nuggets of gold out there?? I heard to hydrate the night before, eat well etc but any little tips would be great!

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭d4r3n

phew! they left it open for last minute competitors so yay i will be able to race.:D:D:D

Does anyone have any last minute advice for a newbie? I am just going to finish rather than "compete" as its my first one (sprint) and i am not 100% race fit.

Any nuggets of gold out there?? I heard to hydrate the night before, eat well etc but any little tips would be great!

Just have fun :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

What wave are you in?

i am in wave 6, kick off at 10.30 i think.
    I am nervous as there seems to be alot of people out there competing. So i am going to take it handy as they say and yes, to enjoy it. I did an Aquathon on weds night for a test run on transitions and i think it went ok. I was slow but i only started running 9 weeks ago so i was able to keep up with some of them. Transition closes at half 8 so i will have 2 hours to kill.....i will be brickin it.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Domer

Last year I finished the race and was very tired and Sweaty. I had no change of gear and needed to wait for friends to finish before walking back to transition to get my bike etc. I felt a bit flu like afterwards, but if you spend an hour in sweaty clothes it is to be expected. I can't say whether it was the rats that caused my flu like symptoms, but under normal circumstances you would not hang around in sweaty clothes and expect to be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭LUPE

Well done to all involved today, great day for it.

Does anybody know what the story with the times is? Thought I did a much quicker run than they recorded, added up my totals and Swim+T1+Bike+T2+Run was a few minutes more than the final time I was awarded. First time doing one so I don't know how it's done... Checked was it the same with everybody else, total of all 5 was greater than final time. Doesn't seem to match up with the transition times either.

Anybody able to shed any light? Not a big deal but was delighted when I finished the run cos I knew I ran very well, I reckon the time they have down for it though is a bout a minute more than what it actually was...

Cheers :)

LUPE wrote: »
    Well done to all involved today, great day for it.

Does anybody know what the story with the times is? Thought I did a much quicker run than they recorded, added up my totals and Swim+T1+Bike+T2+Run was a few minutes more than the final time I was awarded. First time doing one so I don't know how it's done... Checked was it the same with everybody else, total of all 5 was greater than final time. Doesn't seem to match up with the transition times either.

Anybody able to shed any light? Not a big deal but was delighted when I finished the run cos I knew I ran very well, I reckon the time they have down for it though is a bout a minute more than what it actually was...

Cheers :)

My run time was a few minutes faster than what they have recorded!

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭LUPE

My run time was a few minutes faster than what they have recorded!

Yeah any idea what the story is? More than anything else I just want to see my actual time to see how I'm progressing, had been working hard on the run

• Registered Users Posts: 31 pm78

They seem to have included transition times in splits by mistake

• Advertisement

My splits add up to more than four minutes longer than my total time. But in my case I know my bike was faster than my split. Cycle computer has it a good bit less and it includes the run into transition. Not sure of the run.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭smcgui

The results were just updated a minute ago so have a look here: https://www.championchipireland.com/cca/results/files/DCT%20Res2012.xls if your times still seem a bit off then pop a mail to info@dublincitytriathlon.com and they should be able to sort it out for you!

Well done to everyone who took part today, can't have been easy in that heat!;)

Still has the same error for me anyway.

Oryx wrote: »
    Still has the same error for me anyway.

No change here either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 curl84

Well done to all the organisers, the tri was really well organised and great atmosphere.

This was my first Triathlon, am struggling to understand the timings, are your transition times supposed to be included in your total time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Yea my run time is over a minute a slower than I had recorded on my watch.

From what I can see the t2 time has been included in both the bike AND the run splits.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

My run time is well slower than my watch time. I also started my watch when I heard the beep going out of T2. Overall time is inline with watch though.

Really well organised and marshalled :cool:

Yeah one of the best crewed races I've seen. So many red jackets on the course!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭dited

smcgui wrote: »
    The results were just updated a minute ago so have a look here:

The amended times are up but the link given above still leads to the old ones. Click on DCT results on this page: http://www.championchipireland.com/results/index.php

Great day out, really well-run race :)

Advertisement