Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone Dublin City Triathlon 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Dowee

griffin100 wrote: »
    I never said otherwise, I'm simply making the point that water testing is a useful tool but has its limitations. I certainly wouldn't swim in any water body that had questionable water quality, but then again I did do IMUK when there signs up around the lake warning of a blue green algae bloom :pac:

Agreed regarding limitations. My point is extensive tests and transparency is better than the limited tests and transparency. At least IMUK had a sign up!!

Not all lakes are located on rivers. By definition lakes are referred to as static water bodies, and are considered to present a much greater risk of letpo infection than rivers, though you are correct to say that the smaller the lake the greater the risk.

I think it probably depends on the definition, but no point being pedantic on an irrelevant point, I think it is safe to say most lakes are on rivers or drain to some extent.
    In fact most of the cases of lepto I've come across have been caught in situations where the person has come into contact pretty directly with rat urine, or the bacterium has been in a very small water body like a small pond, ditch or even a puddle. The flushing effect in a river is very real. There are thousands of rats in and around the Liffey (as there are every other river) producing huge quantities of urine (rats just love to pee) but this is tiny when you consider the volume of water that flows down the Liffey every second. It's still a risk but a small risk when swimming. I'd be more worried about coliform bacterium and crypto ingestion.....or even catching lepto by cutting my hand when climbing out on the bank and becoming infected that way.

As this is your field you're clearly the expert in this regard, however the risk of Lepto in the Liffey is real and cases have occurred in DCT. As I noted previously there was at least one case in 2011. Of course you need to worry about coliforms and crypto, however I'd take a dodgy stomach for a few days over Lepto anytime.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

mloc123 wrote: »
    Save me coming last I guess ;)

I've just been sandbagging, I'm actually swimming my 100s going off 1:05, have an FTP of 420 and am running 160km a week. Also weight down to 9st 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

We can suss out your form at TriLaois in a few weeks ;)

Will be doing well not to drown during the swim.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,778 ✭✭✭griffin100

tunney wrote: »
    I've just been sandbagging, I'm actually swimming my 100s going off 1:05, have an FTP of 420 and am running 160km a week. Also weight down to 9st 12.

The only thing weighting 9st12 in my house is the combined weight of my 4 children :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭911sc

I did DCT last year..and will not be doing it this year as i am one of the many who got sick for days after the event.
    If the water quality was ok, how does one explain the amount of participants that had dodgy tommies afterwards?
    Pity as i really loved the course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

911sc wrote: »
    I did DCT last year..and will not be doing it this year as i am one of the many who got sick for days after the event.
    If the water quality was ok, how does one explain the amount of participants that had dodgy tommies afterwards?
    Pity as i really loved the course.

"many who got sick for days after the event"

I know of quite a few people that had issues in several clubs, but until there is a independent mechanism for people to report health (or any issues) after their race experience at any race then unfortunately it all becomes he said, she said.

Online form accessible once you login to your TI account (and a facility for those who purchase a one day license that covers their insurance and are still entitled to an opinion and the ability to offer feedback), select 'race' from drop down, provide details of any issues and submit. Im sure all race directors would appreciate the feedback to help ensure that people continue to return to race at their event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

In for this as well so should be a good bit of smack talk between boardsies doing it:)

In for this as well so should be a good bit of smack talk between boardsies doing it:)

And sure we can always compare to see who gets the sickest afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

And sure we can always compare to see who gets the sickest afterwards.

Exactly my thoughts. I felt i missed out on the stomach bugs being handed out last year. Hopefully the goodie bag can be used as a sick bag on the way home.

Exactly my thoughts. I felt i missed out on the stomach bugs being handed out last year. Hopefully the goodie bag can be used as a sick bag on the way home.

Well i cannot get below 12 stone this year, a good dose of the sh1ts post DCT would help my 2013 session no end I imagine.

• Advertisement

A nice dose of Lepto will see you drop a stone in a week, no problem! Should solve all your problems :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

This is heartening reading for a newb just signed up to DCT as his first Tri; here was I thinking I would be sh!tting myself for weeks before the race...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Dowee wrote: »

As this is your field you're clearly the expert in this regard, however the risk of Lepto in the Liffey is real and cases have occurred in DCT. As I noted previously there was at least one case in 2011. Of course you need to worry about coliforms and crypto, however I'd take a dodgy stomach for a few days over Lepto anytime.

1 in 900...thats a real risk :rolleyes:

1 in 900...thats a real risk :rolleyes:

My default setting is to ignore idiotic posts but on occasions I make exceptions.

On an unrelated subject, I'm not sure where you got your numbers from but there was closer to 665 people in the 2 races. As regards the number of Lepto cases I can only confirm one however I have second hand knowledge of at least 1 other potential case. As I haven't researched the matter I've no idea how many there was.

Out of interest what sort of stats are "real" in your eyes? Just so I know for future reference.

My default setting is to ignore idiotic posts but on occasions I make exceptions.

On an unrelated subject, I'm not sure where you got your numbers from but there was closer to 665 people in the 2 races. As regards the number of Lepto cases I can only confirm one however I have second hand knowledge of at least 1 other potential case. As I haven't researched the matter I've no idea how many there was.

Out of interest what sort of stats are "real" in your eyes? Just so I know for future reference.

I would consider real to be moderate to high risk & since 1 in 900 or 1 in 657 or even 2 in 657 than that is extremely low risk and therefore not real.
    Its an easy solution enter if you can live with the extremely low risk or dont if you cant.

You can do Kelly Brook but there is a 1/900 risk of getting the clap. how many (single)blokes would not take those odds?

You can do Kelly Brook but there is a 1/900 risk of getting the clap. how many (single)blokes would not take those odds?
    Lol..none....:) ..the unlucky one would just accept it while taking his antibiotics

I would consider real to be moderate to high risk & since 1 in 900 or 1 in 657 or even 2 in 657 than that is extremely low risk and therefore not real.
    Its an easy solution enter if you can live with the extremely low risk or dont if you cant.

I would consider the chances of me winning the Lotto jackpot to be "extremely low". I'm pretty sure the odds aren't 1/329.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Interested!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,778 ✭✭✭griffin100

The stats on letospirosis infections in Ireland can be found here.

Last year there were 17 cases of lepto in Ireland and in the last 7 years the maximum number of cases was 29 in any given year. Compare that to Cryptosporidium infections, of which there were over 294 last year and peaking at 608 cases per year in the last 7 years. There were more cases of Malaria in Ireland last year that there were leptospirosis cases.

Is leptospirosis a risk in open water swimming - of course it is and its a risk that we all take when we do open water swimming in rivers and in particular lakes. However to be clear, leptospirosis is not an indicator of water quality as such, its a naturally occurring infection that is always present in areas where you find rats - its a risk to golfers, swimmers, anglers and farmers. As I said above I'd be more concerned about crypto and coliform numbers as these are an indication of water quality and in particular the amount of sh1te in the water.

• Advertisement

The stats on letospirosis infections in Ireland can be found here.

Last year there were 17 cases of lepto in Ireland and in the last 7 years the maximum number of cases was 29 in any given year. Compare that to Cryptosporidium infections, of which there were over 294 last year and peaking at 608 cases per year in the last 7 years. There were more cases of Malaria in Ireland last year that there were leptospirosis cases.

Is leptospirosis a risk in open water swimming - of course it is and its a risk that we all take when we do open water swimming in rivers and in particular lakes. However to be clear, leptospirosis is not an indicator of water quality as such, its a naturally occurring infection that is always present in areas where you find rats - its a risk to golfers, swimmers, anglers and farmers. As I said above I'd be more concerned about crypto and coliform numbers as these are an indication of water quality and in particular the amount of sh1te in the water.

And thats not even taking into account the amount of athletes urine that is in the water also :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Kathy Lisa

I was sick as a dog last year after this race! Couldn't walk for a week and spent a few weeks after getting muscle/stamina back into the legs. I physically couldn't get to the doctor so i got no tests done but i know it from the water.
    Its a lovely event which is a real shame but I can not gamble swimming in that water again this year. Im glad to see someone else knows others who were sick because iv hear of some others who were but mostly online people say they were fine.
    I might go watch the event this year, because it is very well organised and a lovely venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭Daz1214

i did the race last year and didnt get sick from it but have decided to do the world's end the day before instead of this race.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

I've done this race twice, first time two years ago was fine and last year was sick for a week and not quite right for two. I'll be giving it a miss this year; it's a brilliant race, well organized, great support, perfect location etc. - the *only* thing that lets it down is the chance of picking up something in the water. After visiting my GP last year post-race he suggested if I was doing it again to go see him before the race to get some prophylactic medcline for the nasty stuff you're likely to catch in low quality fresh water. If you're apprehensive about it being an issue and are doing this race might be worth giving your doctor a quick call and see if it makes sense for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Is the super sprint all down stream ?

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭d4r3n

Is the super sprint all down stream ?

It's half and half

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭Daz1214

275 up, 300 down and then 25 back up to the pontoon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

kingQuez wrote: »
    After visiting my GP last year post-race he suggested if I was doing it again to go see him before the race to get some prophylactic medcline for the nasty stuff you're likely to catch in low quality fresh water. If you're apprehensive about it being an issue and are doing this race might be worth giving your doctor a quick call and see if it makes sense for you.
    I'm probably gonna do this myself. Is this medicine that you take before the race? If so, can anyone comment on possible side affects (if you've taken it before) on race day e.g. upset stomach?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

if you are worried go to your GP and get tablets, simples. Its a great race, great buzz about it and great to have in Dublin. Not doing it this year because of Galway HIM, but defo would have done it again otherwise. I'll be going to watch anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

miller82 wrote: »
    if you are worried go to your GP and get tablets, simples. Its a great race, great buzz about it and great to have in Dublin. Not doing it this year because of Galway HIM, but defo would have done it again otherwise. I'll be going to watch anyway

On the other hand that makes the races twice as expensive
    would it be an idea if the race organizer could hire a medic to prescribe it at registration ( not sure if that works )
    I agree its a fab race and dublin needs a triathlon.

Advertisement