Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone Dublin City Triathlon 2012

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Is the quality of the water really that much worse in the liffey than other waterways in Ireland? Were the problems previous years or just last year?

That being said I wouldn't do this race because it's in the liffey but thats just a personality quirk. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

i'd like to see how it compares to the kilkenny waters and Athy (not having a go at either race, just using them as examples - mainly because i swam them both this year).

If you are a hypochondriac dont do it
    If you are a bit worried - pay the few bob and get the tablets
    if you are comfortable knowing that the majority dont get any sickness at all then jump on in.

If you are from Dublin and have done a few tri's this year, its a must IMO and avoiding it because you are afraid of the water is a shame IMO

Is the timing of the weils disease article on Tri Ireland a bit off? Weils disease is a lot more common in lakes and canals than it is in fast moving waterways. Would tri Ireland really sanction a race and make it a NS race if there was a big risk of people becoming seriously ill?

Don't know how sick people got from it last year but I'd have thought a race like BotE would be a much bigger risk for this given there's no current. Being a volunteer last year I got all the emails and the water quality was tested on Saturday evening(or so they said) - reduce the risks your self. Cover all cuts, don't swallow the water.

Liffey swim is on the week before I think. See if anyone gets sick doing that before you decide whether to do it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Dowee

Taking medicine before the race is far from a simple matter as it would depend on what you are trying to prevent. In the case of Weils I was informed that taking the relevant anti-biotic can help prevent it. However personally I think it's going a bit far to be taking these in order to do a race!

The Liffey swim takes place in the lower Liffey which is tidal and so has salt water in it. Leptospirosis doesn't survive in salt water so the Liffey swim is not necessarily a good indication of water quality for DCT as the race is above the weir at Islandbridge. Also as noted above the Liffey swim is on a week before DCT so given Weils can take 2 -3 weeks to show up again it's not a great way to guage the water.

Leptospirosis is generally present in infected animals urine, notably rats, in areas like the Liffey. Lough Dan is a lot bigger than the Liffey (at the point where the race takes place) and I suspect rat population per square foot is also higher...you do the maths!

In relation to water tests I would recommend looking at the details of the test and what it is actually testing for before taking any assurances from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

It's obviously a concern of the organisers....

http://www.dublincitytriathlon.com/news/51-leptospirosis-weils-disease

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Does anyone know what time the race starts? I'm assuming it's waves so curious what time the first and last waves go off. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭dited

pgibbo wrote: »
    Does anyone know what time the race starts? I'm assuming it's waves so curious what time the first and last waves go off. Cheers.

Provisional times posted the other day:

Transition opens 7am
    Transition Closes 8.30am
    Olympic wave 1 9am ( fast men)
    Olympic wave 2 9.10am ( All female)
    Olympic wave 3 9.20am
    Olympic Wave 4 9.30am
    Sprint Wave 1 9.40am ( Relay & Women)
    Sprint Wave 2 9.50am
    Sprint Wave 3 10am

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

What are the approx numbers for this?

ebixa82 wrote: »
    What are the approx numbers for this?

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I looked the other day and couldn't see registration times for the morning of the race. Anyone know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Last year it was mainly registration in the boat Club the day before with a smaller registration on the Sunday I think it was 7-8.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

What's the story with parking on the day of the race? Is there anywhere nearby to park?

PWEI wrote: »
    What's the story with parking on the day of the race? Is there anywhere nearby to park?

Last year there was parking in the garda boat club car park(dunno if that is where race is based this year?), overflow car park in UCD car park but they were charging for that then some parking along the chapelizod road.

Race briefing now available here

Damn site keeps crashing for me. Are the wave times and athletes in each available anywhere?

Damn site keeps crashing for me. Are the wave times and athletes in each available anywhere?

Was only wave times when I clicked in this morning. Wave allocation didn't seem to be up yet.

Was only wave times when I clicked in this morning. Wave allocation didn't seem to be up yet.

Cheers. Saw the times alright but no allocations but thought maybe it might be there since.

Nope, just times. Here ya go anyway.

Did somebody mention a shower/hose down in Transition after coming out of the water??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭mrboswell

Hi smcgui (Sharon),

I am sick this week and with my pending wedding it don't think it would be the best idea to compete at the weekend.

I am happy to offer a transfer of my entry free of charge.

Is it possible to transfer the entry at this late stage as I would like to see it used?

Many thanks,
    Colm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭smcgui

Hi Colm,

I'm afraid all entries are closed now and the deadline for transfers was over a week ago. Sorry to hear that you can't make it and hope to see you next year!

Oh but if you can, come along on Saturday evening and you can still pick up your goodie bag and running gilet!

Sharon

P.S. Best of luck with the wedding!:D

smcgui wrote: »
    P.S. Best of luck with the wedding!:D
    When do we find out our waves?

Wave allocations should be up by Thurs/Fri

Wave allocations and race numbers are now up: http://www.dublincitytriathlon.com/news/58-wave-allocation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Great no sign of weil's...;)

Great no sign of weil's...;)

You can't test for weil's, you test for leptospirosis :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

What relevance is a rive water quality analysis done on 10th Aug, for a race 16 days later? I appreciate there have been water quality questions, and a test is a sign they take water quality seriously, but isn't that like saying it was sunny two weeks ago when we tested, therefore it will be sunny on the day?

• Advertisement

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    What relevance is a rive water quality analysis done on 10th Aug, for a race 16 days later? I appreciate there have been water quality questions, and a test is a sign they take water quality seriously, but isn't that like saying it was sunny two weeks ago when we tested, therefore it will be sunny on the day?

Agreed. I do think/hope/(possibly read here somewhere) that they test the water a few times including the weekend of the race. The analysis does take some time so those reports won't be available until after the race.

Advertisement