Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People who have never left Ireland, EVER!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Does doing something once, no matter how long ago, stand forever in such a situation?

..do we have to have left by way of our own efforts or have been dragged screaming

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I hope to live long enough to visit space.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Cedrus wrote: »
    It is a common myth that travel broadens the mind (or worldview), in fact most people who travel go to a finite destination for a limited period of time and believe that that is enough to know the country, people, culture, etc. The experiences of that brief visit are taken as representative of the country when really you would have to live for a number of years to experience different seasons, different lifestyles, get over bad experiences, get to know that good experiences aren't guaranteed, learn the language to really talk to people.

That's a great point. I lived in the American Deep South for 17 years. Often times, just when I thought I had the place and its people figured out, something would happen that made me realize how little I really knew about it, and that I'd always be an outsider looking in.

A few years ago, my brother came from Ireland for a 5 day visit. He now considers himself an expert on the area. He often presumes to lecture me, me who actually lived there, on issues as diverse as black/white race relations in the south, how Hurricane Katrina impacted New Orleans, how civil war politics affects current day US politics etc etc, as if he is some all holy expert on the area and its people and its history. It would be funny if it weren't so effing ignorant and arrogant of him ! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Nana Wan

never been out of my town until I was 15

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Nana Wan

never been to a city until I was 17

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Nana Wan wrote: »
    never been out of my settlement until I was 15

Nana Wan wrote: »
    never been to a village until I was 17

Fyp's. Have all them formative years tending paddy fields taught you nothing?!

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭travelledpengy

My brother, who is 31 has never been on a plane or left the country

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Xavi6 wrote: »
    People that can't afford it (as in genuinely can't, not those who piss €100 up against the wall every Saturday night) fair enough.

People that have no ambition/desire to go overseas is very sad IMO.

Why?? Why is it sad??

I've travelled to 23 countries/states within my short 25 years of life, I reckon that puts me probably above average for my age, but I wouldn't judge somebody as "sad" because they have no interest in travelling. There are plenty of people who are happy within their own communities and have no interest in the outside world.

One of the hardest things in this world to achieve for humans is happiness, and if they're happy with their lifestyle, then well fair play to them. It might be sad to us but they're happy and thats all that matters.

Ireland is an incredibley paroquial country at times with plenty of small minded people, so I'm sure there's lots of people who don't travel.

I love travelling personally but I wouldn't judge somebody who doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Gnobe wrote: »
    Why?? Why is it sad??

You pretty much answered it yourself.
    Ireland is an incredibley paroquial country at times with plenty of small minded people,

That to me is sad, in every sense of the word.

I don't see why someone wouldn't want to see different countries, meet new people and experience different cultures.

But hey, it's just my opinion as I already said.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,524 ✭✭✭✭kippy

People that can't afford it (as in genuinely can't, not those who piss €100 up against the wall every Saturday night) fair enough.

I don't get the whole sad thing Xavi6.
    Everyone is different.

I probably wouldnt have gone anywhere bar a few generic sunny island lads holidays had I not met my wife, who was big into travelling. As I said, I still amn't that mad into it.

I wouldnt class a person as sad just because they didnt want to travel. It's not for everyone.
    We live in Ireland, we are surrounded by new people, different cultures and I'd hazard a guess that those that are so big into travel have seen very little of out own country or experienced the subcultures within it.

Going abroad to get this "broadening the mind" experience, is, in my opinion, overrated.
    The majority of people I know of who have been abroad fall into four categories.
    1. Those that go for a sun holiday/ski holiday every other year. They end up in an area full of Irish/English, with Irish/English bars, where Irish/English is the main language and the amount of "culture" and peope from that culture they meet is severly limited. The spend most of their time in a bar of by the pool.
    2. Those that have done the J1, or Aus/NZ thing for a year or two. Again the majority end up in english speaking areas where the culture is not much different from their own, spending time in GAA shirts, in Irish bars and working.
    3. Those that actually "travel" - they spend time living in areas that dont speak english, have diverse heritage and culture. They may leave Ireland for months and have no real plan. They generally visit the poorer parts of the world, without the creature comforts for extended periods of time.
    4. Those that sadly have to leave Ireland, for economical reasons. This is something that would force someone who didnt want to leave into leaving. Not a category anyone wants to be in.

Cat 3 might get something out of it, but generally those in the first two categories tend not to have broadened anything.

You'll find the same small minded parochial types all over the world I'd reckon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Jeez, the grand old age of 19/20 and no excursion outside Ireland! Seriously, 19/20 is a child. Hardly amazing to have not "done it all" by this age.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Totally agree there. I can't for the life of me understand why people would rather get locked over seeing the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

I knew several people when leaving Ireland (in my early 20s) who had either point blank never been abroad or had only went abroad with their parents. And these were people with jobs, two or three weekends off the beer and they could have afforded a nice week long trip to the med or Amsterdam, they just couldnt be bothered.

You pretty much answered it yourself.

That to me is sad, in every sense of the word.

I don't see why someone wouldn't want to see different countries, meet new people and experience different cultures.

But hey, it's just my opinion as I already said.

Australia can be even worse for it. Many people I met in the countryside had never been to their state capital, let alone been to Sydney (apparently, the catch all arguement against it being that all Sydney has to offer is too many gays and Asians/ Lebs :pac: ). One bloke in his 50s told me he had never had reason to go more than an hours drive away in his life and had no intention of doing so. Even amongst the urban folk the vast majority of them have never even been to New Zealand (I cant fathom why, seeing as you can return for around 250, they wouldnt be somewhat curious to part with small beans to at least see the place), and Ive met quite a few who have never left the state of NSW (in truth, unless you are heavily into your nature rural/ E Coast Australia has very little to offer, so I can understand this one)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

My aunt is sixty next year and has never been abroad. She has decided to go to London for her 60th and is inviting all she knows. She is so excited about it. I also have neighbour who is in her late 20's and both she and her boyfriend have never been abroad and have no inclination either. They are very happy here.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

kippy wrote: »
    Everyone is different.

Exactly, everyone is different, which is why it's my opinion that's it's sad. To other people, like yourself, it's not.

Each to their own.
    I wouldnt class a person as sad just because they didnt want to travel. It's not for everyone.

But that's the thing - how do they know it's not for them if they've never done it?

If you've given it a shot and hated it due to homesickness or whatever then fair enough, but at least you've got an informed opinion.
    You'll find the same small minded parochial types all over the world I'd reckon.

You will find folk like that everywhere, as Damo pointed out above, and I think the same thing of them. I'm not Irish bashing or anything of the sort.

The goldfish bowl mentality is something I don't get, but yes it can suit some people. Good luck to them, but imo they're missing out massively.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Talking to the celtic cubs and I do be amazed at how many times they were abroad at such young ages. I think I was 19 when I first boarded one of those fandangled airoplaney thingys.

I have been abroad a lot, but believe or not I never really got the traveling buzz, I hate it to be honest, it wouldn't really bother me if I couldn't.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭flash1080

Rabies wrote: »
    Get off the recession train.

**** like that is ruining AH.

Air travel across europe has been very cheap since the mid 90's.
    It still is.

There is no excuse for someone to not travel to even England. Take a ferry instead of flying.

It is odd and unusual that someone would not have traveled out of Ireland by the time they're 19-20.

You don't need to be rich or have a lot of money in the bank to go over seas for a weekend.

There's plenty of excuses for someone to not travel to England, the place is a ****hole, and the only thing worse than the place is the people.

flash1080 wrote: »
    There's plenty of excuses for someone to not travel to England, the place is a ****hole, and the only thing worse than the place is the people.

Bullsh!t one of the most interesting countries in the world and some of the most beautiful scenery. Go on a walking trip to the Lake district, Cornwall, the Pennines and then report back. The people are also great, very open, talkative and friendly. Also London is one of the two world principle cities for power, influence and culture in the world the other been New York.

There is a reason why it is the sixth most visited country in the world.

PS I am Irish but I never went into the anti british clap-trap. It usually comes from us Irish who follow some Brit soccer team and spend most their TV time following their soaps culture and comedies.

44leto wrote: »
    Bullsh!t one of the most interesting countries in the world and some of the most beautiful scenery. Go on a walking trip to the Lake district, Cornwall, the Pennines and then report back. The people are also great, very open, talkative and friendly. Also London is one of the two world principle cities for power, influence and culture in the world the other been New York.

There is a reason why it is the sixth most visited country in the world.

PS I am Irish but I never went into the anti british clap-trap. It usually comes from us Irish who follow some Brit soccer team and spend most their TV time following their soaps culture and comedies.

I've visited the country as a tourist and I've worked there. I don't follow a British football team or watch British soaps and comedies. It's safe to say I know what I'm talking about. Interesting/beautiful country my hole.

I've visited the country as a tourist and I've worked there. I don't follow a British football team or watch British soaps and comedies. It's safe to say I know what I'm talking about. Interesting/beautiful country my hole.

So British culture or British entertainment doesn't interest you, you watch RTE and your CD collection is made up of U2, Clancy brothers and the Fury's. Most people who go to Britain from Ireland usually go to work and not as a tourist, or they go see a match, in Liverpool ( a great weekend) or Manchester (a Kip). But get away from these places to Norwich, Bath and those dainty little towns you bump into and you see a different England. I love the place and that is a strange thing to hear from an Irish man. I use to do a lot of walking/hiking so I got to see England of the beaten track.

Note I haven't even mentioned Wales or Scotland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I have never left Ireland or Donegal (although i did see parts of sligo/leitrim once) for that matter. I wouldnt like to go to any other country, they're all full of foreigners.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Well thats a strong generalisation, there are some nice parts and some rotten parts to it, like any country. Northern England's probably has some of ugliest towns and cities that a developed country could have (Stoke, Leicester, Blackburn, Hull, Middlesborough, Sunderland, Coventry et al), not exactly tourist places. But London's one of the most famous cities in the world which everyone should at least visit once IMO. But thats where most people come to visit, not really anywhere else.

44leto wrote: »
    So British culture or British entertainment doesn't interest you, you watch RTE and your CD collection is made up of U2, Clancy brothers and the Fury's. Most people who go to Britain from Ireland usually go to work and not as a tourist, or they go see a match, in Liverpool ( a great weekend) or Manchester (a Kip). But get away from these places to Norwich, Bath, those dainty little towns and you see a different England. I love the place and that is a strange thing to hear from an Irish man. I use to do a lot of walking/hiking so I got to see England of the beaten trail.

Note I haven't even mentioned Wales or Scotland.

I've been to Liverpool and Manchester, Wales and Scotland (for work and as a tourist). Also been in Norwich, and been through many dainty, dated towns. I've been all over the place.

Well thats a strong generalisation, there are some nice parts and some rotten parts to it, like any country. Northern England's probably has some of ugliest towns and cities that a developed country could have (Stoke, Leicester, Blackburn, Hull, Middlesborough, Sunderland, Coventry et al), not exactly tourist places. But London's one of the most famous cities in the world which everyone should at least visit once IMO. But thats where most people come to visit, not really anywhere else.

I've been to London a few times. It's big, it's dirty, there are far nicer large cities in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

i love to travel but i'm not sure what i find worse, people happy to idle away life in their local pub watching premiership football or people who go abroad and head straight to an irish bar. Feel sorry for people who are scared to fly.

for me life is about broadening your horizons, meeting new people, experiencing new cultures, you dont have to leave ireland to do these things but you do have to get off your backside.

I agree, it took an effort to make those cities such kips, but it would be like judging Ireland by some of the kips we have here, (not mentioning any names), my point is England is not the hole Flash1080 makes it out to be. Yes it has its scumbags but the basic Brit are some of the most open. polite and wellcoming people you could meet while traveling.

But one thing extraordinary about the place there is no stereotype, people really are different from county to county, region to region, more so then here.

I've been to London a few times. It's big, it's dirty, there are far nicer large cities in Europe.

But are there more interesting, museums everywhere with collections (admittingly pilfered) that makes our museum look like a gift shop, the Tate gallery that walk along the palaces of westminister, Pauls cathedral, I could make this a very long post. But I won't I suppose it is a matter of taste. I would prefer London to Paris, but I know most wouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

I'm in My mid-40's now..

Was in Dublin about 15 years ago...

That's as far as I have ever been. For now anyway.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 36,261 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

kippy wrote: »
    Everyone is different.

I probably wouldnt have gone anywhere bar a few generic sunny island lads holidays had I not met my wife, who was big into travelling. As I said, I still amn't that mad into it.

We live in Ireland, we are surrounded by new people, different cultures and I'd hazard a guess that those that are so big into travel have seen very little of out own country or experienced the subcultures within it.

Going abroad to get this "broadening the mind" experience, is, in my opinion, overrated.
    The majority of people I know of who have been abroad fall into four categories.
    1. Those that go for a sun holiday/ski holiday every other year. They end up in an area full of Irish/English, with Irish/English bars, where Irish/English is the main language and the amount of "culture" and peope from that culture they meet is severly limited. The spend most of their time in a bar of by the pool.
    2. Those that have done the J1, or Aus/NZ thing for a year or two. Again the majority end up in english speaking areas where the culture is not much different from their own, spending time in GAA shirts, in Irish bars and working.
    3. Those that actually "travel" - they spend time living in areas that dont speak english, have diverse heritage and culture. They may leave Ireland for months and have no real plan. They generally visit the poorer parts of the world, without the creature comforts for extended periods of time.
    4. Those that sadly have to leave Ireland, for economical reasons. This is something that would force someone who didnt want to leave into leaving. Not a category anyone wants to be in.

Cat 3 might get something out of it, but generally those in the first two categories tend not to have broadened anything.

This is a good post. 'Being abroad' does not neccesarily equal 'experiencing different culture and places'. So many holidays abroad for Irish people involve turning up at a sun resort which is adapted and constructed to mimick what Irish / UK people are used to and can deal with.

I think the big problem with topics like this is that people who have travelled a lot can't for the life of them understand why people wouldn't; and those who haven't travelled much can't for the life of them understand why people would. It boils down to people not accepting that others may place a different value on options of how to lead ones life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭rgmmg

I went to Fishguard when I was 8. Thankfully it was only a day trip.

Advertisement