Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 80's Recession V's this one?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

The 80's were worse because no one had money. It was just grim everywhere.

Its not as grim this time, so far. That said I think this one will have repercussions for a lot longer, probably decades.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

crapmanjoe wrote: »
    I'm hoping that in 20 years when this recession is on reeling in the years we won't like as impoverished and miserable as the 80's recession folk.
    Sure we'll be due another one in 20 years :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    The pubs were a lot busier in the 80's than they are today!:cool:

Were there any draught beers back then that are gone now?

Or is it still the usual suspects?

Just interested to know :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

In the 80s, there was only two types of cheese in Ireland - red cheddar & Galtee Singles.

Now we can get all types of cheeses from all over the world.

So don't ever think of comparing the two recessions unless you want to go back to a time where we only had two types of cheese.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

This one is much worse, there was somewhere to go in the 80s, but this one the world is still teetering on the brink and we probably haven't seen the bottom of it yet.

Plus people worldwide are more indebted in this one then the 80s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Kids grumble when they have to share a room these days. In the 80s me and two brothers shared the same bed till we were four or five and two of us shared it till we were ten or eleven.

In the 80s, there was only two types of cheese in Ireland - red cheddar & Galtee Singles.

Now we can get all types of cheeses from all over the world.

So don't ever think of comparing the two recessions unless you want to go back to a time where we only had two types of cheese.

Maybe you've already spotted this...
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055823749

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

mikemac1 wrote: »

Harp was seen a lot more, as was McCardles and Bass. Carling was sold here then and is making a comeback now. Budweiser was introduced, Furstenberg made headway for a while and then disappeared but is now coming back in bottles. That's about all I can think of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Nearly everyone that traveled to London for work in the 80's took the boat / train, cheap flights were unheard of, People were paying in excess of £200 of which would have included a sweet, cup of tea / coffee and a complimentary copy of the Irish Times.

In the 80's we didn't have an Irish airline company that offered flights for next to nothing.

Could you imagine someone on the dole back in the 80's being able to afford a return trip to Paris or Barcelona out of a weeks payment. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭phil1nj

I was very young for the 80's recession but what I do remember from it was the fact that the price of ordinary things went up very, very quickly. The example I always use is the price of a packet of Tayto crisps which seemed to go up by 1 to 2p every few weeks (it started at about 6p and ended up at 13p in an extremly short space of time). There also appeared to be general elections every other year (political parties camped outside the local schools in battered caravans on election day trying to win voters).

But everybody appeared to be in the same boat moneywise, very few people had telephones (where I grew up there were about 18 houses, only one had a phone up until about '88). Al lot of people rented TVs or if they purchased things it was bought "on tick" or HP from retailers (they often ended up paying twice what the item would have cost if paid for outright). Very few people went on foreign holidays (for us it was two weeks at my nans in Wicklow every year without fail for about 10 years). Having any sort of a car was considered a real luxury too. I also got hand me down clothes and had schoolbooks covered in wallpaper and shared books with my brother right through primary and seconday school. We never went without but there were rows at home about money and "grown up" stuff but my folks always made sure that there was food on the table and that the bills were paid - although I do remember having our TV service disconnected (or having the pipe turned off as it was called) for about 8 weeks one year when things got really tough.

This recession is different though mainly because as has already been pointed out personal debt is a lot higher and people have come to expect a higher standard of living in general I think.

• Advertisement

Could you imagine someone on the dole back in the 80's being able to afford a return trip to Paris or Barcelona out of a weeks payment. :p

I can't imagine anyone these days on the dole being able to afford it out of a week's pay.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

Harp lager was very big in the early 80s. It was the only lager in many pubs.
    Another major social difference was connectivity. No mobile phones, skype or internet, facebook etc. When someone emigrated pen and paper was the only means of staying in touch. Air travel was expensive so visits home were rare.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

My family wasn't really hit badly by the recession in the 80s as far as I can remmember as we had foreign holidays when I was in primary school and i was born in '77 but my parents were sensible I think. They didn't pay for 'piped' tv and used wallpaper to cover books and always sent a packed lunch into school rather than giving us money for the shops. We had no video or phone for years either. My mam minded other kids too and worked with my dad who was self-employed. We always had a roast dinner on sundays with HB ice-cream too. It must have been worse in the cities? I can remember the price of crisps and kitkats going up and if we ever got into a pub we would share a bottle of lemonade rather than the ripoff of soft drinks nowadays. I also remember seeing' Big trouble in little china' for 70 quid in a local shop!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Nearly everyone that traveled to London for work in the 80's took the boat / train, cheap flights were unheard of, People were paying in excess of £200 of which would have included a sweet, cup of tea / coffee and a complimentary copy of the Irish Times.

In the 80's we didn't have an Irish airline company that offered flights for next to nothing.

try move abroad using a so called cheap airline...when u add in all the bags to carry your belongings it aint so cheap anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

I remember wallpaper covered school books - we must have been poor so! But I think this was the early 90s, my folks must have carried on the trend.

I don't think our level of cutting back or cutting corners has reached that of the 80s yet, but then again, some things are probably relatively cheaper now than they were then, like clothes and shoes.

My mam always says they were poor, but it didn't matter because everyone was poor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

The music was much better back then but was bloody expensive too unless you taped tracks from the radio as I used to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

Last one was way worse, less educated and going abroad was a serious unknown, I know of a girl here who got a job in Japan by emailing the CV and doing an interview on Skype. Unthinkable in the 80's.

Most debt now is high personal debt, it didn't exist to the same extent in the 80's.

At times I miss the innocence of the 70's and 80's, but there are parts of it I would never want back.

Political corruption is as bad today as it was back then, the only difference is that it involves larger amounts of money today and has a better chance of being exposed via the interent.

Duggy747 wrote: »
    At least the 80's recession had the Safety Dance

Now we have a load of unemployed Health & Safety experts!

There was no Oxygen but by the end of the decade we got Féile and The Trip to Tipp. :cool:. It's how Michael Lowry launched his career.
    On that note politicians were crooks then as well as now. But we still voted for them, nothing changes

There was Slane, Siamsa Cois Lee and the Grandaddy of them all LISDOONVARNA!!!!!

Harp, Tennents, Carlsberg Special Brew in bottles, Furstenberg.

Don't forget Calvita and those nasty triangles.

Furstenberg wow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Sala wrote: »
    I remember wallpaper covered school books - we must have been poor so!
    Wallpaper?
    Only the rich kids had wallpaper to cover their books with. FFS, they were the ones whose parents actually redecorated the house.

Brown paper bags all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

In the 80's, everyone had moustaches and mullets, were communists and cannibalism was rife. At the least thats what i remember from the month of being alive in the 80's.:)

• Advertisement

Some many posts about wallpaper
    Crazy the small things we remember :D

Anyone remember Kandee ketchup.
    Huge red bottle, the vilest ketchup on the market and if you bought it then you were too poor to afford Heinz
    The very definition of a recession product

Haven't seen it in years and it is not missed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

the difference is this :

in the 80's the government were not systematically trying to remove every spare penny you had

this one ( in cohorts with the EU ) - it determined that you will never save again / or have free spare cash .

you will exist barely - and thats it .

it heading to where one day the gov will pay you what is left
    after tax, mortgage , etcetc , and it wont be much , hell they may even supply you with clothing and food and you ll have nothing over.

think im wrong ?
    think again .

People need to realise that just because technology is better these days, it doesn't mean that the recession in the 80's was worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

At least in the 80's we had shiny disco balls :D

Anyone reading this thread and thinking of Colm Meaney and the Snapper and the Barrystowns Trilogy? I know Sean McGinley was in the trilogy, RTÉ showed them years ago

Actually I think they were set in in the early nineties but much the same realy

Grim and bleak

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

It was acceptable in the 80's

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

I was only a kid, cant remember too much really, I know was happier back then though, sure we had fúck all, but we knew no different.

smash wrote: »
    People need to realise that just because technology is better these days, it doesn't mean that the recession in the 80's was worse.

It makes people forget how bad it is.

In the 80's you had yoyo's and this
    http://www.crazyfads.com/80s.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,203 ✭✭✭bullpost

Nope - you went into the hardware shops and asked for their old wallpaper catalogues. They were happy to hand these out and we used to compete to see who could get the most exotic papers e.g. embossed etc.
    Gurgle wrote: »
    Wallpaper?
    Only the rich kids had wallpaper to cover their books with. FFS, they were the ones whose parents actually redecorated the house.

Brown paper bags all the way.

• Advertisement

You couldn't draw on wallpaper. Hence brown paper to draw the band logo.

Advertisement