Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1980's recession food

Options
  • 09-02-2010 9:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

hey guys was thinking of hosting a 1980's recession theme night and as i was too young to remember i was wondering if people wouldn't mind posting food that you remember mammy cooking for you in the old hard times.

any other suggestions at what you might think would be fun or good to do for food, drink and entertainment please post.

thanks,
    James

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Galadriel

We used to get fish fingers and beans, still a favourite of mine today.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

findus crispy pancakes and angel delight

• Registered Users Posts: 32,375 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Those cheapo small pizzas, still have them in tesco both frozen & fresh. They are about 6" across and used to be in stacks of 10, cheese & tomato.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭smiley girl

Flapjacks. Oh yum, haven't had them in years but I used to love them!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,333 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Birds custard
    TK soft drinks
    The pizzas as mentioned above
    Angel delight (although that's just horrible)
    Golly bars (:eek:) make your own with lolly pop sticks and HB ice cream blocks.
    Ice cream floats

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Instant Whip, it was pretty much the same as Angel Delight.
    Those nasty little pizzas
    Instant Mash
    Rose cream pies
    Jelly & ice cream

Ah memories :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭enfield

Mince in onion gravy, turnips and mash. Beat that!

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭phoebe!

Mashed potato and scrambled egg...mixed together and sometimes it had tomato added in!!

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭biblio

Yellowpack !!! Good old Quinnsworths attempt at tesco value back in the day

biblio wrote: »
    Yellowpack !!! Good old Quinnsworths attempt at tesco value back in the day

Ah Yellapack :D who did the ones with the plain black and white packaging.. simple times..

• Advertisement

xzanti wrote: »
    who did the ones with the plain black and white packaging.. simple times..
    Thrift in superquinn, think it might have been Thrift! horrible looking things.

Then there was KVI too, think it was in crazy prices -"thats crazy prices, at super crazy prices -don't you miss it"

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Fray Bentos type pies, now there's something I haven't had since the 80s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Bread pudding for afters.

rubadub wrote: »
    Thrift in superquinn, think it might have been Thrift! horrible looking things.
    "

That's the one, their crisps were mingin'.. greesy, overflavoured and usually burnt..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

You mean Crisps!

Everything had an ! at the end :pac:

I remember their crisps! they were fairly ming. They had cheese & onion + salt & vinegar.

I used to always get the wee orange juices, sorry Orange Juice! and freeze it into an ice pop.

WindSock wrote: »
    You mean Crisps!

Everything had an ! at the end :pac:

Should have had an * on the end :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Buzz Cagney

What ever you get it should be washed down with a few 3l bottles of country spring lemonade. The bottle was too big for our fridge so not only was it not very nice, it was warm:D

Cream soda ftw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Haha good thread this!

I remember the biscuits were cheap and simple: digestives, rich tea, custard creams, bourban creams (??), and those pink wafer things.

For dessert I used to have jelly and ice cream or creme caramel.

I remember eating a lot of lamb chops. It must have been cheap back then. And lots of tinned corn and (I didn't eat these) processed peas.

Cereal was either corn flakes, ricke krispies, wheatabix or shredded wheat.

And lots of toast and tea! And kiplings french fancies, bramley apple pies and jam tarts.

I remember eating a lot of tinned fruit aswel for snacks and deserts etc.. usually with a scoop of icecream.. Wasn't all that bad back then ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

irishbird wrote: »
    findus crispy pancakes and angel delight

At the same time???:D

I remember eating stew with no meat in it, (looking back, I reckon my siblings ate all the meat before I got to the table!)
    Wednesday was always the poorest day in the house, God knows what you'd get for dinner, usually something with no label that had been found at the back of the icebox, didn't have any of them fancy seperate freezers in the 80's

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭lala stone

Mince meat with that massive red bottle of Candy red sauce!!! Not exactly a proper bolognese!

Then there was KVI too, think it was in crazy prices -"thats crazy prices, at super crazy prices -don't you miss it"

KVI was in Quinnsworths, Crazy Prices was a separate store. I remember going there and thinking it was so colourful, all blue!! I'm not sure if they only did their own brand or like Quinnsworth, had all the other brands aswell.

KVI was in Quinnsworths, Crazy Prices was a separate store.
    Quinnsworth owned crazy prices and super crazy prices so I think it was in both. I used to get KVI in the supermarket next to me and it was never a quinnsworth shop. They had 2 or 3 "cheapo brands" at the same time, i.e. they might have yellow pack crisps and kvi crisps.

I think KVI was "keen value item" or something.

I think superquinn also had or might still have euroshopper brand which I have seen in supermarkets in the netherlands.

Quinnsworth owned crazy prices and super crazy prices so I think it was in both. I used to get KVI in the supermarket next to me and it was never a quinnsworth shop. They had 2 or 3 "cheapo brands" at the same time, i.e. they might have yellow pack crisps and kvi crisps.

I think KVI was "keen value item" or something.

I think superquinn also had or might still have euroshopper brand which I have seen in supermarkets in the netherlands.

Oh! I didn't know all that, sorry! I just remember our local quinnsworth and crazy prices and my 7 year olds mind assumed back that back then :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I remember eating a lot of tinned fruit aswel for snacks and deserts etc.. usually with a scoop of icecream.. Wasn't all that bad back then ;)

Yeah me too!

How spoilt we've become!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,333 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Instant Whip, it was pretty much the same as Angel Delight.
    Those nasty little pizzas
    Instant Mash
    Rose cream pies
    Jelly & ice cream

Ah memories :D

Forgot them, every time I buy those the filling has gone rubbery, I remember them being much nicer years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Woppa's and Mr. Freezes for the win.

Angel Delight as mentioned earlier, ice-cream and wafers, egg nogg (don't think you can have this anymore cos of raw egg..), easi-singles, triangles of cheese with bits of yucky ham in them :eek:, pandy (mashed potato put under the grill mmm) and of course a whole lot of home baking - as it was the norm to make all buns/bread etc. as opposed to now when most stuff is bought in!

Hmm.. my memories all seem to revolve around sweets :o And there are just so so many I won't get into it!!

Cork_girl wrote: »
    Woppa's and Mr. Freezes for the win.
    And the cut up "chelsea smile" lips from the gigantic ones, my favourite flavour was "Blue", they were addictive ;)
    Amy_Winehouse_399906a.jpg
    For dessert I used to have jelly and ice cream
    I used to get jelly make in a horrible orange rabbit shaped mould. Like this
    large_RabbitMould.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Angel Delight or Instant Whip

Smash

Ravioli or Spaghetti hoops from the tin

Fruit Salad from a tin

Flapjacks

Spiceburgers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

Vesta Curry as a special and exotic treat.

Advertisement